Dj's I Wanna Hear Out More At Allnighters

Guest Matt Male

I have to agree with you Tezza in that many mentioned either no longer have the records or the collections and others wouldn't last two minutes at an all-nighter.

I don't know what world some live in but anyone playing modern or crossover by and large wouldn't go down well at an all-nighter, regardless of the fact that the records they have are excellent but just wrong for an all-nighter. Some might go down well in a side room playing to their mates or 30 or 40 people but large room definitely not.

It would be nice if we could get back to one venue playing across the decades but it will never happen. Lifeline is probably the closest and we struggle these days when we stray too far from the 60's, todays nighter goers just don't want anything other than 60's, that is the reality of today's scene.

Many mentioned seem to be favourite DJ's or DJ's who play to their taste, not what is needed at an all-nighter.

I also think we sometimes get too wrapped up in "named" DJ's. It shouldn't matter really as long as the DJ has some imagination, can put a set together and brings something to the table that isn't already on offer.

That's because the question was 'DJs I wanna hear out more at allnighters'. Not, 'which are the best DJs for allnighters?' We all know what works best at allnighters, tried and tested like you say, and promoters struggle to do anything else, but that doesn't mean we don't wish our favourite DJs were on more often rather than relegated to side rooms or early spots.

Everyone goes on about too many DJs, but I think what this thread shows is that there aren't that many 'nighter DJs' to keep the masses happy.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

That's because the question was 'DJs I wanna hear out more at allnighters'. Not, 'which are the best DJs for allnighters?' We all know what works best at allnighters, tried and tested like you say, and promoters struggle to do anything else, but that doesn't mean we don't wish our favourite DJs were on more often rather than relegated to side rooms or early spots.

Everyone goes on about too many DJs, but I think what this thread shows is that there aren't that many 'nighter DJs' to keep the masses happy.

yet another one on here, quoting it RIGHT....as was the header " djs you want to see out more at all-nighters...AND LET NOBODY MISUNDERSTAND... richard searling IS capable of playing a set at ANY NIGHTER, it dosnt have to be oldies...HE IS imaginative, HE DOES READ THE CROWD, HE KNOWS WHAT RECORDS ARE SUITED, WHERE....AND HE TAUGHT ALL,...AND I MEAN ALL OF US ABOUT WHAT QUALITY SOUL MUSIC IS....does anyone, with any sense on here, SERIOUSLY THINK he cant cut it?,...i despair at cloud cuckooland mentality. :facepalm:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I do think that RS could potentially bring something to the party. At the end of the day, it will depend upon IF he does decide to join the party again & how he goes about doin it...I think there are assumptions being made about where he will or wont DJ too, thats up to the promoters to ask him & for RS to agree. Cant see RS doin any little venues...maybe RS will promote his own Nighter again ?

Best Russ

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

My comment wasnt daft as all the guys mentioned dj down in the south of the country

so if youve been to any nights you may of heard them

They all play fantastic 6ts soul and crossover

And most have been about on the scene since the 80s

Callum and Tomas are the young guys really doing it at the moment

Check them out if you get a chance

One of the guys on the list sold about forty 45s a few years back

Dont think 40 45s is a collection.

Gotta say i very rarely venture North anymore

but if i did the Lifeline is where id go as the music policy is right up my street

And a few more

Tony Smith 1

Warren Boogaloo

Val Palmer

Bill Kealy

Mik Parry

Gav Arno

Ion Heard him in Brighton last year still bloody amazin

Al H :thumbsup:

Edited by CapitolSC
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Personally i like to hear djs i aint heard before it makes it all the more interesting cos even if they have the same records as others they normally put them together differently and after hearing a lot of very good djs a few times they soon become very fimailr with their plays which can be good and not so good,

also its ok saying put underplaying djs on at better times but if they fook up the flow the or get it wrong then the nighter could be on its arse ive seen it happen at a few venues recently so as long as the promoter gets it right for their venue i dont care who is djn really i try to have a blast and just enjoy meself.

too many decent djs to mention but one things for sure i think the scene is healthy dj wise its just being able to get to where i want to get to so i can hear them :yes:

ok will shout 1 name out who im not sure has even djd at a nighter yet but imo should be is Kev Higham, got some cracking upfront rarities aswell as known, semi knowns and unknowns and been learnign the dj trade at various soul nights and round my house a few time lol, imho he knows what works where cos he is always out attending the upfront veunes and imho can dj at anywhere and more than hold his own with the big boys and girls :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

can we define " a collection" as theres so many wanabees with a box and thats it ! Id like to see LESS djs per event and one room

O.K.....everything on GRAPEVINE demo......there ya go :D :D :D

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I have to agree with you Tezza in that many mentioned either no longer have the records or the collections and others wouldn't last two minutes at an all-nighter.

I don't know what world some live in but anyone playing modern or crossover by and large wouldn't go down well at an all-nighter, regardless of the fact that the records they have are excellent but just wrong for an all-nighter. Some might go down well in a side room playing to their mates or 30 or 40 people but large room definitely not.

It would be nice if we could get back to one venue playing across the decades but it will never happen. Lifeline is probably the closest and we struggle these days when we stray too far from the 60's, todays nighter goers just don't want anything other than 60's, that is the reality of today's scene.

Many mentioned seem to be favourite DJ's or DJ's who play to their taste, not what is needed at an all-nighter.

I also think we sometimes get too wrapped up in "named" DJ's. It shouldn't matter really as long as the DJ has some imagination, can put a set together and brings something to the table that isn't already on offer.

Would probably be better chalky if dj,s as it were knew themselves ie what they like,where they like to go (nighters,soul nights,60's,70's,crossover,r&b,latin or modern) and then only played at venues accordingly.....sure things would gel much better

Social source share

not arsed whose djin so long as i hear them doin a good spot lol but same names many mentioned here seem to be on everywhere at the moment

This was the last allnighter at Burnley, Lesser known on the allnighter scene getting their chance to shine,

except for the residents this list gets rotated, this is how it should be,

and not the same old names week in week out, month in month out.

9 till 10 Sallie Reynolds

10 till 11 Rich Evans

11 till 12 Fred Kroll

12 till 1 Geoff Rudd

1 till 2 Stuart Bennett

2 till 3 Cliff Camfield

3 till 4 Danny Price

4 till 5 Eddie Wainwright

5 till 6 Killa

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Would probably be better chalky if dj,s as it were knew themselves ie what they like,where they like to go (nighters,soul nights,60's,70's,crossover,r&b,latin or modern) and then only played at venues accordingly.....sure things would gel much better

Would be far more sensible if nighter djs all had to have a 20min interview with your good self Terry. During which time you can lecture them on what records they can/cannot play, explain how it's about the right sounds in the right venue and teach them to suck eggs.

Social source share

This was the last allnighter at Burnley, Lesser known on the allnighter scene getting their chance to shine,

except for the residents this list gets rotated, this is how it should be,

and not the same old names week in week out, month in month out.

9 till 10 Sallie Reynolds

10 till 11 Rich Evans

11 till 12 Killa

12 till 1 Geoff Rudd

1 till 2 Stuart Bennett

2 till 3 Cliff Camfield

3 till 4 Danny Price

4 till 5 Eddie Wainwright

5 till 6 Sean Haydon

Hello Dekka :thumbsup:

I thought the line up for the last Burnley was great, a really exciting mix of guest DJs. But, and this is just my honest opinion they did not get the right times.....I've highlighted the 3 resident DJs in blue (and a couple of late changes to the advertised times in red) and they are DJing in a 3 hour block from 1am-4am which at any nighter are the prime times. IMO they should have been mixed in with the guest DJs which would have created a far better mix of sounds/styles. Sean obviously sees it differently and it's his promotion and his money so he rightly calls it the way he thinks best. This isn't a dig at Burnley or anyone involved, it's just my personal view that guest DJs should get the best times and residents fill in around them.

Cheers,

Adam.

Social source share

Hello Dekka :thumbsup:

I thought the line up for the last Burnley was great, a really exciting mix of guest DJs. But, and this is just my honest opinion they did not get the right times.....I've highlighted the 3 resident DJs in blue (and a couple of late changes to the advertised times in red) and they are DJing in a 3 hour block from 1am-4am which at any nighter are the prime times. IMO they should have been mixed in with the guest DJs which would have created a far better mix of sounds/styles. Sean obviously sees it differently and it's his promotion and his money so he rightly calls it the way he thinks best. This isn't a dig at Burnley or anyone involved, it's just my personal view that guest DJs should get the best times and residents fill in around them.

Cheers,

Adam.

Hi Mate

Yes I understand where you're coming from, however, my point was how

Sallie, Rich and Eddie were given a chance at a prestigious allnighter,

one which suited their musical tastes and were all capable of contributing and 'fitting in' to the Burnley policy.

Still would like to see you there mate, as a respected DJ who is more than capable of playing at Burnley.

atb

dekka :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi Mate

Yes I understand where you're coming from, however, my point was how

Sallie, Rich and Eddie were given a chance at a prestigious allnighter,

one which suited their musical tastes and were all capable of contributing and 'fitting in' to the Burnley policy.

Still would like to see you there mate, as a respected DJ who is more than capable of playing at Burnley.

atb

dekka :thumbsup:

You're right mate, it's great that different DJs were given a chance at such a big nighter and that's the reason I travelled up for it.

Social source share

I thought Richard just played the 100 Club once but I could easily be wrong. It wasn't an anniversary but was just as busy. He played rare stuff for the knowledgeable 100 Club crowd and I always felt it got him back into Northern and promoting after a long lay-off when he only played modern. He did the first few Cleethorpes weekenders too before he ran the ones in the North West with Kev Roberts (Blackpool or Southport I think). He was going to do a guest spot at the 100 Club after we had the mini-crisis a couple of years back but he couldn't fit it in in the end. Maybe if Spurs pick up he could squeeze us in on a footy weekend.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I thought Richard just played the 100 Club once but I could easily be wrong. It wasn't an anniversary but was just as busy. He played rare stuff for the knowledgeable 100 Club crowd and I always felt it got him back into Northern and promoting after a long lay-off when he only played modern. He did the first few Cleethorpes weekenders too before he ran the ones in the North West with Kev Roberts (Blackpool or Southport I think). He was going to do a guest spot at the 100 Club after we had the mini-crisis a couple of years back but he couldn't fit it in in the end. Maybe if Spurs pick up he could squeeze us in on a footy weekend.

adey,

get him on mate, because im emphasizing he's up for it, this man has grasped the nettle again and you know only too well, he will take the dancefloor apart....im sure the 100 club is a challenge akin to his desire to play the twisted wheel, which came to fruition after many years...im also sure he'll find the offer too good to resist.

Social source share

The post I am reacting to has vanished ... thank god he or someone saw sense !

God help us from those that think they know everything :sleep3: this is supposed to be YOUR personal opinion regardless of comments like the above so don't let anyone bully you into thinking your opinion doesn't matter because you have not notched up 53 nighters this year. The above poster has no right to start putting his own limitations on your POSTS !

Who would I like to see play at a nighter anyone that will take a risk with a tempo regardless of fame and size

Edited by Carms
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Ive asked Richard to deejay but the dates he has been available never matched with my venues availability.He was recently in london deejaying at a riverboat do....who knows what direction he wants to go.He might want to deejay oldies...he might want to go newies...whatever he does it will be interesting.Loved the Ritz rarest of the rare niters.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well said Carms ...your wisdom is that of someone much older in yrs :wink:

Think Russ's post was just meant to be a harmless bit of fun ,but as usual the over zealous war lords of the soul scene .....don't get it and can't really lighten up!

It's simply the progression of a topic, different opinions and views lead to further discussion, its what happens on a forum. Lighten up :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I kinda agree with you Phil, but it isnt neccessarily just about 6ts, if you throw some good 7ts & dare I say other decades in too, plus intelligent reactivations n rareities, with the unquestionable taste of these guys we could be in for a treat - plus these guys are the 'taste makers', so who knows what else will get thrown into the mix, s'long as its Rare Soul with the X Factor, aimed at the Allnighter dance floor then Im excited....whilst I dont think either of these guys needs 'competiton' to bring out thier best, it wont harm to have RS back in the fold of the contemporary Nighter scene, plus It might encourage those that are a little nostalgic shall we say, to test the water at more diverse events boosting the numbers....

Hope you are well mate

Best Russ

Fair comment mate but you know me, I don't have your broad taste in music. I'm strictly a 60's man, but I've always admired your commitment and enthusiasm, and I wish I could feel the same as you about the scene. You're one of the good guys Russ, I wish there were a few more like you.

Best regards, Phil.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

When we ran The North Cheshire Soul nights in Stockport, Manchester for about a ten year period we were always busy always packed and had some pretty well known DJ's on, I asked Richard to DJ several times but the dates were wrong for him but after nailing a date down finally he came to the Cheshire to DJ, now the venue was one which filled around 10pm/10.30pm and the pace and night picked up, however when Richard Searling was on we were full to the rafters by 9pm which made for one of the best nights down there, Richard's name, reputation,integrity etc.is still one of the few DJ's who can actually put bums on seats or on the dance floor lol, he can DJ for who he wants when he wants if he wants, when he came to our event it was never about the money or anything like that more about finding a free date infact it was harder getting him a signed Spurs football as a gesture of thanks and let me tell you for a Chelsea fan took some doing.

Regards - Mark Bicknell

gh we were not an Allnighter

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Sad to say that Nick aint playing out much at all, real shame.....

Thanks Stevie real shame....if you speak to him in the none to distant future could you please pass on my best.....

Dale........ :thumbsup:

Edited by Dale
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Nick Hackett - one of the best - hopefully he can be tempted .

Steve , can you pm me contact details please

Nick was at Go Go in Bristol last month looking good and enjoying himself so maybe he might get out a little bit more soon. Top fella indeed

Social source share

Richard Searling still up there as one of the best ever and if he is sourcing new more upfront records then I can't wait to hear him.

Hopefully he will come and do Lifeline in the future.....Butch, Andy D, Mick H, Sam, Cliff Steele, Richard Searling....drooling already :yes:

Great stuff Chalks.

I followed Richard at Whitby a couple of weeks ago. He had the dance floor in the palm of his hand (it was me that killed it lol).

This is one extraordinary professional. Can turn it on at will in any Environment.

Sure, there's Dozens of keen, capable and enthusiastic DJ's out there, and if up to the job, their chance will surely come in time.

But when it comes to supreme ability and total confidence and style, nobody can perform like Richard.

Lifeline would love him!

:0)

Sean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I dont think there has been any names put forward from across the wall in Scotland. Though Allnighters are a rare occurrence up here. Anyway, I would suggest the following in no particular order: Lenny Harkins, Duce, Ray Parker and Keith Money. There are many more DJ's up here that could probably do the job but these are the four I would currently pick.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

rarest of the rare, may day bank holiday all-nighters at the ritz WERE BEYOND COMPARE...thanks to richard.....infact probably the best four years i experienced on the nighter scene along with the 100 club, were at the ritz....hairs on the back of your neck stuff!. im totally thrilled with the comments of chalky, marc & carms...guess we're all rowing the same boat here...i firmly believe we're gonna see this man making a defining impact on the scene again. i hope adey gets him darn sarf at some point soon..i dont think he'll refuse it, despite the fact he's full on with the promotions.....you cant knock him there either...his choice of venues for his events are of supreme taste and quality, the flagship of which is now firmly the dunkenhalgh hotel in accrington and although thats just my opinion, i'll put it ahead of the king george's basically because you can get your head down as well in some luxury.

i remember when the management at walsall town hall booked a northern soul night on a thursday evening in 1978. richard & dave evison came down to the midlands with a full 52 seater coach....on a thursday evening!!?,....600 people in the building...yeah, that was back in the day but he was in majestic mode then and...logic suggests he'll still do it now...you know we talk about who's a great draw to see live wether in concert or p.a. at a soul gig and we're drippin' saliva at the prospect of the vibrations at prestatyn...there are great djs and.....GREAT DJS...its not pretty when i say catagorizing people's ability is like a league pyramid...i refer to jouneymen/women who are doing a fantastic job to support our scene, to travel around the uk at their own expense, who give their time unselfishly and, in most cases freely...without them crate diggin' for a kaleidescope of tunes that fuel the interest, we would have run out of steam long before we had clocked up over four decades...we have figureheads.....these are the people who started the revolution....and most are still with us, plying their trade with undiminished enthusiasm...RICHARD IS a watchword for the truth about how soulful our music is, a visionary who has propelled the scene forward as every year has gone by, by introducing us to more modern tunes that fit the groove, whilst still displaying a propensity for the 60's ethos, never forgetting his roots and reminding us all of our mantra, to keep on keeping the faith, to say right on brother/sister and mean it heart & soul, and stating that it's whats in the groove that counts...THERE ISNT AN ALL-NIGHTER ON THE PLANET THAT WOULDNT BE ENHANCED THAN ONE WITH RICHARD SEARLING HOLDING COURT.

Edited by AGENTSMITH
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I dont think there has been any names put forward from across the wall in Scotland. Though Allnighters are a rare occurrence up here. Anyway, I would suggest the following in no particular order: Lenny Harkins, Duce, Ray Parker and Keith Money. There are many more DJ's up here that could probably do the job but these are the four I would currently pick.

We have Colin on at the next Lifeline. We've had Jock on there in the past as well.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Byrney

Marco

That Funky Kid Andy

Kitch

Dean Anderson (so he can make another comeback- the tart)

Be interested to see what Colin Law can do now days

And if Dickie Searling is doing an upfront set, count me in with knobs on

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!