Soul Inc - My Proposal

Markw

I think the seller means that he has had 5 copies over the past bunch of years.

He lives in Flint, MI which is 8 miles from Mount Morris, MI where the Coconut Groove label is from so I guess he's found the 45s one at a time "in the wild".

If you look at the 3 copies on PopSike that sold in 2004 (VG+), 2007 (VG+) and 2008 (G+) it is clear that at least two of those - if not all three - came from the same seller that sold the copy today. Same wording in the descriptions, same or very similar auction titles etc.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Does anyone know how many copies were pressed cos this copy makes it about 8/9 known now, could be a few more out there in his area somewhere ....

Social source share

sorry guys, I needed an upgrade for my copy

LOL surely not! On a serious note, I had a bet going on with a mate of mine who remembering how many djs (ep. on the continnt) are after this tune said this 45 will make 8000 USD, I sad no way! it will make 4500 USD. but knowing who used to be the high bidder I feared for the worst ;) ...last copy I know of changed hands in a private deal end of last year for sth around 3000 UKP.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've had reservations and cold sweats at the thought of writing this but i've plucked up the courage....

*I don't like it*..... :facepalm:

As a stand alone record its average, and the price is crazy. HOWEVER, I can see the appeal from a serious collectors POV and moreover, I could imagine it would work a treat in a well selected set of crossover/mid tempo's etc.

Who are the lucky few to have this - or is it not an issues to be discussed?

Edited by TailorMade Gaz B
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Love it and want it, always have. I thought I'd bid heavy money for a vg+ copy but, as ever, depends who's bidding and how much they wanted it

I'd have sold and/ or traded major records and done without stuff for ages to own it but you've just gotta be patient I guess. If id had enough money this last year id've bought Mello Souls, Combinations, CODs, Soul Inc then packed it in lol.

There has been some beauties for sale this year, not forgetting, parliaments too,

Social source share

I've had reservations and cold sweats at the thought of writing this but i've plucked up the courage....

As a stand alone record its average, and the price is crazy. HOWEVER, I can see the appeal from a serious collectors POV and moreover, I could imagine it would work a treat in a well selected set of crossover/mid tempo's etc.

Mid tempo!!? :ohmy:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Amended ;)

it's not so bad actually :rolleyes: . I guess its what you get for the price that has marred my view and possibly my ear somewhat.

I suspect it was my good friend Liam who played me a clip sometime back and told me it was 'about' £3,000 to which my reply was...'no chance'.

atb,

Gary.

Edited by TailorMade Gaz B
Social source share

Right this isnt a 'bashing' BTW, you are entitled to your opinion.....this is just my opinion, absolute superlative Northern Soul. How the heck did Crossover come into this, its a full on Northern Soul nuclear missile....if I had the dosh I would buy this immediatly, its sheer class, another Rob Marriot stonker !!!. If anyone can name me a record under 500 UKP as good as this, in the same ball park musically, tell me cos I'll bite your arm off....

Russ

Best Russ

Social source share

i posted before that my mate gasher on here spoke to manager of band & bought a copy off him.gasher already had a copy,so he had eh 2,lol.

if i remember right.the manager said to him that 100 was pressed????.50 went out band members/family/friends.the other 50 got chucked as he was behind on office rent & everything in office was skipped.

save yourself thousands & buy this.as a close 2nd.

Edited by sepia
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Unless yopu've been living in a cave for the last 17 years or more then everyone should know this by now, but just in case...if this had been played at any of the Golden Era Nighters it would now be the top 500 Classic that it deserves to be...

I agree Russ.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

i posted before that my mate gasher on here spoke to manager of band & bought a copy off him.gasher already had a copy,so he had eh 2,lol.

if i remember right.the manager said to him that 100 was pressed????.50 went out band members/family/friends.the other 50 got chucked as he was behind on office rent & everything in office was skipped.

Not a bad example of alternate records ..but in the CRAZY world of rare soul collecting ..nothing ever substitutes the real deal ..no matter how hard we try to convince ourselves :wink:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Never realised just how similar these 2 discs are, both brilliant BTW, but the rareity of Soul Incorporated does add a little mystique, even if only by the fact you rarely get to hear it out....one of those discs to travel for IMHO.

Russ

Social source share

just had to travel 1 mile to hear it last week.keith money djn in dundee,lol.

and same again when gasher played it @ our soul nights in aberdeen.

but did have to travel 140miles many moons ago to hear in edinburgh,lol

Im quite lucky too, as a copy resides less than a mile from my home when Im in the UK, but ya know what I mean.

Best Russ

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

i have played this after My Proposal they do go so well togehter :thumbup:

and just to add that the first time i heard this and My proposal was on a CD that Dave Abbott gave me about 6 years ago so thanks to Dave a man with quality taste :hatsoff2:

Edited by Bearsy
Social source share

Im quite lucky too, as a copy resides less than a mile from my home when Im in the UK, but ya know what I mean.

Best Russ

Basically its a tried and tested,well established ,played out oldie now Russ ..hence the high price and demand :P

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Best Russ

and another only 10 miles up the road too Russ

Social source share

bought this blind as the seller described it as similar to Soul Inc....spoooky

Social source share

being the unquestioned fabulous record ernie & ed is, I cant see any similarity in it to soul inc. other than that the lyrics are on about a similar subject. the beat and melody is much more fitting in with ree flores LIMH and thats why choosed to play it more than once before or after ree flores ... what does this all has got to with the rarity of this coconut groove 45 ? I dont know LOL !

Social source share

just had to travel 1 mile to hear it last week.keith money djn in dundee,lol.

and same again when gasher played it @ our soul nights in aberdeen.

but did have to travel 140miles many moons ago to hear in edinburgh,lol

correct about kieth, but his copy was originally purchased from kenny burrell and prior to that, the same copy belonged to one,simon soussan

Social source share

correct about kieth, but his copy was originally purchased from kenny burrell and prior to that, the same copy belonged to one,simon soussan

i could be wrong.but im sure keith was playing this a long time before he was friends with burrell.i will ask him next time i see him.

Social source share

can remember keith over the mike giving what was almost a lecture type intro on the story behind this 45 at a chill session at a weekender

i'd say deserved credit goes to mr flynn for making it a csc 'anthem' at turn of century

and still have to smile at the "whats going on here" memory when once heard 3 djs play it various rooms at one same allnighter

Social source share

can remember keith over the mike giving what was almost a lecture type intro on the story behind this 45 at a chill session at a weekender

i'd say deserved credit goes to mr flynn for making it a csc 'anthem' at turn of century

and still have to smile at the "whats going on here" memory when once heard 3 djs play it various rooms at one same allnighter

Indeed. I will always associate this record with Dave, Capitol Soul Club and those fantastic nights at the Dome.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I can't believe anyone would have believed it is Cecil singing lead, he sounds white and nothing like Cecil. As Cecil himself said he is part of the harmony.

I guess Flynny does deserve credit to bringing it to a new audience but it was massive some ten years earlier, give or take a year or two.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!