American Soulstrut's Forum Amusing Take On Ns Collectors

Comment from 'Beezerholmes'...... made me laugh... brilliant...

"An easy way to wind them up is to say that jazz funk and modern soul are just another way for them to describe disco music. 

I agree with you though, they are, for the most part, c*nts."

Please be aware that other users  have firewalls / blocks on their PCs.

Cheers.

Edited by MrC
swearing
Social source share

think that site will be having a few new members joining very soon,lol.

the original poster will be very,very busy.

im off to join a cooler scene :lol:

ps,he forgot to mention...that we would sell any member of our family & shaft anyone,too get that elusive 45.

Edited by sepia
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

They get wound up easily don't they.?

The dealer guy (kala),sounds a real good bloke.Not.Taking NS money from us poor disillusioned and deluded 50 something's.  :lol:

As for an edgy,aggessive scene.Not anymore i don't think.

I miss it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

What's that supposed to mean? That it's somehow less cool to collect northern because he doesn't know any colored folks who collect it? 

As anyone told Errol about his change of race, not forgetting our old friend the late Toney Pedley (Pedro) R,I,P,

Garry

Social source share

Guest son of stan

'The Brits with their pork-pie hats......' 

He's really nailed us there, eh?

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

QUOTE OFF THE SITE .......... I was travelling home from work one time and took the scenic route. The roads are usually quiet but there was a car in front that had the plate N5OUL or something very similar. It had a load of "Keep the Faith" stickers on etc. We went along over hill and dale for about 10 miles and then the road widened out at a junction and we ended up alongside. He looked over and I went to do the fist gesture, but because I am a fcuktard, the way I did it looked like I wanted to fight him. He wound the window down and gave me a "You-f*cking-what?" look. Yes, white skinhead. I started laughing and did "The fist" properly, and he laughed. He was lost.

.......he had Kegsy summed up instantly then, the guys been lost & in the wilderness for years. He most definitely got lost for this years Cleggy Weekender.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

That is actually a fairly tame thread, I would expect more extreme opinions / bile. You guys join and go at it, I'm sure you can escalate the drama.

I like how there's information from me about the Creations quoted from me 3rd hand without any credit in that thread. it's like the telephone game.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There are so many levels of culture clash in different ways I wish the thread would explode ridiculously. Unfortunately soul strut is an almost dead forum. It seems like over half the people posting in that thread are British already, if not part of the scene, they seem sympathetic.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There are so many levels of culture clash in different ways I wish the thread would explode ridiculously. Unfortunately soul strut is an almost dead forum. It seems like over half the people posting in that thread are British already, if not part of the scene, they seem sympathetic.

Bob, I was going to say the same, I don't know how many of the comments are from Americans. i think most are Scottish and English student types who are into obscure psych, Jazz and garage, There are some good comments on the thread though.

Social source share

An interesting little summery of a subculture . Each to there own and some people reading that will be well pissed off at that opinion.

As for the line: "I love nothing more than selling a rare "northern" 45 because I never feel a sense of loss like I would if it was a funk,Brazilian,reggae,ska,latin or psych 45."

I guess there many who hide under the umbrella of Northern followers would agree with that but wouldn't have the balls to admit it.

Edited by Irish Spinner
Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

The usa is with out doubt the most successful and magic place for music

we love it

you are the best in the world at making a talent commercial.

you have your multi culture so loads of opportunties for different styles of musicians for the industry and music fans

but due to the 60s uk mod scene we ended up with all your rare 1960s (usually negro) 45s years ago

now some americans realise how good the music is

I dont knock the uk or any record collectng culture for digging for good productions that have been ignored

To me, Northern soul is a term for that club scene. It was not a term to explaine a genre of music, as the dj changed syle regular.

although.....obviously....lots of really intresting 60s rare dance 45s

I had some amazing fun times from the get go to recent times

its getting light now......lad wants to just enjoy

Social source share

They get wound up easily don't they.?

The dealer guy (kala),sounds a real good bloke.Not.Taking NS money from us poor disillusioned and deluded 50 something's.  :lol:

As for an edgy,aggessive scene.Not anymore i don't think.

I miss it.

i must have missed that bit Kev or was it your wishful thinking mate. lol ....Atb Irish

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I take solice in the fact that black American music was appreciated by white teenagers in the 60s over here and longer when it was largely ignored by the majority of Americans. More fool them.

Social source share

I'd have thought the northern tribes would be massing at the mouth of the glen, daubing their faces with wode, sharpening their chiltrons, offering a sacrifice to Lug for strength and courage in the great conflagration to come, but the thread died on June 14th.

Where are James Trouble or Richard Chorley when you need 'em? They'd put the f***ers right.  

Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

I'd have thought the northern tribes would be massing at the mouth of the glen, daubing their faces with wode, sharpening their chiltrons, offering a sacrifice to Lug for strength and courage in the great conflagration to come, but the thread died on June 14th.

Where are James Trouble or Richard Chorley when you need 'em? They'd put the f***ers right.  

i think we all know enough about vintage music and collecting.

We are not going to respond to one ill informed retard are we ?

We have been removing rare and fantastic 60s funk, boogaloo, rnb, and soul from the usa

for 40 years

In the last few years you seem to be having your modern history revival.

you are re painting 1960s coke machines and collecting all sorts of shit.

I wonder how many labeat or thelma 45s are still in the usa.

Sorry guys, It is fantastic music

It is part of your history.

But lots of it was removed from your country at a time when you were into other things.

i think if it was not for the uk collectors and the love here for obscure rare vintage music,

most of the tunes would be still buried.

the uk soul scene exposed good records, that was its job

some ended up rare with history

and it is still happening

Social source share

Some of those dudes and dorks think they're cool and rocking but they're still driving on the wrong side of the goddam road !!!

Man that is so not safe.

:ohmy: 

Social source share

Being from Edinburgh, I was curious as to the identity of the soulie with the violent past and nae teeth (in Scotland, surely not?) as related by 'Beezerholmes' and his thrilling tale of escaping from a damn good thrashing by 50-year-old hard men (gosh!). A set of '60s psych, kraut and weird funk'? He's lucky he wasn't hung, drawn and quartered.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I thought I'd have a look at the rest of the forum on Soulstrut.

The thread about Bobby Bland dying has 8 replies.

The thread about DJ accessories being too expensive has 33 replies.

Says it all really doesn't it.

that's not entirely an accurate picture of the forum, the whole forum is pretty much dead with a few hangers on. its heyday was 10 years ago.

Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

that's not entirely an accurate picture of the forum, the whole forum is pretty much dead with a few hangers on. its heyday was 10 years ago.

but that does not explaine the rude comments directed at uk collectors

i blame you bob

your from chicago, these boys must be your mates

Lol

im sure no one here could give a shit about an oppinion from a dork

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

Just thought it was a humorous insight into how some , Not all I stress American's view their British collectors.

Won' t be doing a cross thread - stopped posting on USA forums quite sometime back .... :rofl:

It's an entertaining & fun read Glyn ha ha

Mr Canal ..... "I fart in their general direction" lol doesn't he know we have a weapon of mass destruction in Mace who can fart right back at him lol

GamleOle talks some sense, & nice to see young Dante on there (tho he hasn't been on here for a while :o( ) Oh, & if Dor is the person on his Avatar I want to marry him :o))) ...... tho when he realises I'm the person on my Avatar I've no ruddy chance lol

Social source share

We have been removing rare and fantastic 60s funk, boogaloo, rnb, and soul from the usa

for 40 years

I think we need to be a little careful how we talk about this or we could end up with an "Elgin marbles" type situation!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This post made me laugh

At least where you are they don't sound violent.

I had to dj with one once, and although he is was a lovely guy in person, i was warned that he was a savage and dangerous person in his youth, prone to beating the living shit out of people for little reason. You got the vibe that he knew how to handle himself, also he seemed to be missing pretty much all his teeth.

Likewise have you ever accidentally taken a drink on the dancefloor at a northern night? Fuck me,i thought i was about to be stabbed when i crossed the corner of the dancefloor with my drink.

The other week i was djing at a local spot where i get free reign to play what i want and a bunch of older, football casual looking folks came in. I recognised one of them as a dj from a northern night and another from those nights. I nodded to say hi and the dj nodded back.

I was playing 60s psych, kraut, weird funk etc, not exactly what they would have been into, but not miles away from it either.

I had typed out the whole story, but it is kinda long winded and the short verision is they decided to just fuck with me until i asked them not to and then threatened to kill me and i had to involve the bouncer to get rid of them, who also wasn't exactly thrilled at the prospect of being beaten up by a bunch of 50+ yr old hard men.

An easy way to wind them up is to say that jazz funk and modern soul are just another way for them to describe disco music.

I agree with you though, they are, for the most part, cunts.

Keb Darge is a lovely chap though

Peter

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!