Mid Tempo, Will It Ever Return?

Simsy

Guest Garry Huxley

Try my local soul in the bowl (Lens Den) You wont be dissapointed, Also Wellingborough alldayer last sat in the studio room and in the bar lounge lots were played and i love it, Big rooms tend to stick more uptempo & RnB but i love that too.

But dancin wise it's not just me knees it's all of me, Admit it we're gettin older.

"Keep on dancin"

Garry

Social source share

I suppose it depends where you go still to an extent, but these days if you hear a half dozen mid tempo numbers all night, you're doing well.

So what happened to this wonderful genre that played such a big part at Stafford and the 100 Club in earlier years? And of course, would folk like to hear more of that sort of thing again these days?

Dab of soul, Soul Cocktail, a couple of clubs in the midlands that play mid tempo, sure that Len will be on here to tell us about more places...

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest BAKUNIN

Always amuses me when some accuse mid tempo fans as chinstrokers.....soul isnt just about 100mph gymnastics imho....a few tunes like BETTY WILSON-IM YOURS or

JOHNNY GILLIAM-FIND YOURSELF ANOTHER.or..RONNIE WEST-LITTLE WOMAN......do it for me because they are frst and foremost...SOULFUL! .

Social source share

I love mid tempo...faves at the mo are johnny mcall-I need you, , johnny dixon-where are you, and just bought a copy of johnny gilliam-tell your friend its over for £10 off jm's site!!!!!..........there are loads of great mid temps/ballads ive never heard and recommend pure soul at nuneaton to hear lots off these kind of tunes if thats what you like.........Rob

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

I love mid tempo...faves at the mo are johnny mcall-I need you, , johnny dixon-where are you, and just bought a copy of johnny gilliam-tell your friend its over for £10 off jm's site!!!!!..........there are loads of great mid temps/ballads ive never heard and recommend pure soul at nuneaton to hear lots off these kind of tunes if thats what you like.........Rob

:thumbsup:

Make sure you flip it over for "Peace On Earth"   :yes:

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

I suppose it depends where you go still to an extent, but these days if you hear a half dozen mid tempo numbers all night, you're doing well.

So what happened to this wonderful genre that played such a big part at Stafford and the 100 Club in earlier years? And of course, would folk like to hear more of that sort of thing again these days?

I LOVE YOU XXX :yes::D 

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

I'm slightly confused here I thought mid tempo tunes had always been around from the early days with things like Gene Chandler - Nothing can stop me , Brooks & Jerry I got what it takes , Willie Tee Walking up a one way street and moving on to stuff like Nolan Chance Just like the Weather and later things like Eloise Laws Love Factory , Bobby Hutton Lend a Hand and loads more.

Even a lot of the "bad "records played over the years were mid tempo Barbara Mills , Carmel Strings , Peggy March etc

Some great Soulful records posted on this thread by the way.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Beat ballads are not mid tempo, can't you tell the difference ,I give up   :wicked: 

Bazza  :rofl: 

I love the mid tempo stuff Bazza, but your right it can get just to slow especially for the dance floor, having said that some cracking tracks on here to listen to

Social source share

https://podcast9122525417.podomatic.com/entry/2011-12-08T07_08_54-08_00

Jesus H Christ this one was a monster

PORGY & THE MONARCHS — IF IT'S FOR REAL — MUSICOR
FAYE CRAWFORD — WHAT HAVE I DONE WRONG — RCA
MARIE KNIGHT — A LITTLE TOO LONELY — MUSICOR
CLYDIE KING — THE THRILL IS GONE — IMPERIAL
WALTER JACKSON — IT'S AN UPHILL CLIMB TO THE BOTTOM — OKEH
JIMMY BEAUMONT — YOU GOT TOO MUCH GOING FOR YOU — BANG
THE KNICKERBOCKERS — WISHFUL THINKING — CHALLENGE
CLYDIE KING — MISSIN' MY BABY — IMPERIAL
RUBY & THE ROMANTICS — YOUR BABY DOESN'T LOVE YOU ANYMORE — KAPP
GEORGE & SONNY SANDS — DOWN BY THE OCEAN — NEW VOICE
JIMMY CLANTON — HURTING EACH OTHER — MALA
RAY POLLARD — THE DRIFTER — UNITED ARTISTS
BOBBY SHEEN- SWEET SWEET LOVE — CAPITOL
ANITA BRYANT — MY MIND'S PLAYING TRICKS ON ME AGAIN — COLUMBIA
REPARATA & THE DELRONS — I'M NOBODY'S BABY — RCA
JERRY GANEY — JUST A FOOL — VERVE
NINO TEMPO & APRIL STEVENS — THE HABIT OF LOVIN' YOU BABY — WHITE WHALE
TOMMY HUNT — LOVER — UNISSUED
JERRY JACKSON — I'M GONNA PAINT A PICTURE — PARKWAY
P.J. PROBY — I CAN'T MAKE IT ALONE — LIBERTY
CLYDIE KING — SOFT AND GENTLE WAYS — IMPERIAL
BOOTLEGGERS — DON'T COUNT ON TOMORROW — DISCOVERY
LINDA LLOYD — BREAKAWAY — COLUMBIA
TOMMY NAVARRO — I CRIED MY LIFE AWAY — DEJAC
AL McARTHUR — HIS TRUE LOVE FOR YOU — TWO GUITARS
MARION STEWART — I MUST BE LOSING YOU — R
HARRY STARR — STEP INTO MY WORLD — END
SAM WILLIAMS — LOVE SLIPPED THRU' MY FINGERS - TOWER

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Dab of soul, Soul Cocktail, a couple of clubs in the midlands that play mid tempo, sure that Len will be on here to tell us about more places...

He He - Is this thread a wind up? :lol: ......Why have I felt it's been my guilty pleasure for so long? I knew I wasn't alone! :D 

I know the phrase 'Mediocre Soul' gets banded about to ridicule this style (and there is such a thing) but I know this gets mixed up with the 'proper' stuff. This 'campaign' has scared some people off from even giving it a try, but I can tell you that so many people have said things to me on the lines of "I never really gave it a chance, but I'm really getting into it now" - True! :yes:

I have to admit, I was the same with ref R 'n' B - I was listening to the D.J's that played the 'wrong' R 'n' B, that had no 'feeling'...and that's the difference between Mid-tempo Soul, and Mediocre Soul (to me at anyway)

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Pete S Post - PORGY & THE MONARCHS — IF IT'S FOR REAL — MUSICOR

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just read the first one - I don't need to read the rest (although I will)

'Gorgeous, simply gorgeous'........Other side to 'That Girl', if anyone out there has it hiding on 'the other side' - give it a spin :yes:

Edited by LEN
Social source share