Whats The Difference Between A Good Dj And A Great Dj?

I don't think so Godz  :D I've never wanted to be a DJ (I'd have to get some records first anyway  :lol:) doesn't interest me in the slightest. I do however like to look at the varying perspectives, as in what people require, stage presence, rarity, keeping the dance floor full, putting a set together etc. So just a punters interest for me :thumbsup:  

Oh, you and your pithy responses Winnie. You'll be telling me that you have a sense of humour next.

What a card you really are!

Social source share

? Two dimensional world confusing me - I was giving out a compliment (without 'stroking' I hope!).....I'm not Butch, if you were getting me confused (Slightly different Sir names) :wink: 

To further explain what I mean - If Butch decided to retire and give me all his records (or anyone for that matter) I don't think 'Harrythehog' (post 44) who has been travelling to see him D.J, would travel to see me (or whoever) play his tunes - It wouldn't be the same.

I love the old 'Classic' D.J's and is why I mentioned Nick 'Topsy' Turvey :yes: 

Len :thumbsup: 

I was talking about knowing where the Bass and Treble was ;0)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I was talking about knowing where the Bass and Treble was ;0)

Sorry mate, I normally catch anything you throw 'out there'....and return with something that bit funnier :D ....Alas, I I've had the kids (5 and 8) with me at work since after School, and they have 'f*ckin' worn  me out :excl: That did cross my mind actually - Hey, I'm sure 'we'll meet one day'....and I'll tell you where the Bass and Treble are....I may even show you where the 'Gain' is.....and tell you what it is :wink: 

Ok folks, back on track - Carry on :D 

Very interesting topic this, and I do hope naming a few names as examples doesn't matter - When I say 'Classic' D.J, I mean the type that were doing it when it was so opposite to it being a D.J making someone 'God like' - as in the 'Fat Boy Slim Shape' era. They are a 'breed' that I fondly remember.....hang on, that don't read back right now :excl:

You know what I mean :wink: 

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

A DJ has to talk its so very cold if they don't 

Neil

Do you think this is more necessary at a Soul night than an All-nighter? I feel it is needed / great at both, but have been to a nighter where the mike wasn't used much at all, and I commented on that fact - Answer being, the music speaks for itself, and going by the 'alive' atmosphere it was obviously 'working' for everyone there - A nighter situation is different, but I personally still like a bit of Mike usage wherever - If only to let us know what the records are called every so often....I also think apart from the music of course, the mike usage helps bring the D.J's personality across......If they're havin' a good time - so will we! :wink:

All the best,

Social source share

Just to clear up - this was a ham-fisted but light-hearted rib @ Len and in no way a dig (would I?) and his Mixer knowledge but was on an I Pad and have never worked out how to get the Emoticons up. :thumbsup:

Ooooh ya big Softy! :wink:    

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Do you think this is more necessary at a Soul night than an All-nighter? I feel it is needed / great at both, but have been to a nighter where the mike wasn't used much at all, and I commented on that fact - Answer being, the music speaks for itself, and going by the 'alive' atmosphere it was obviously 'working' for everyone there - A nighter situation is different, but I personally still like a bit of Mike usage wherever - If only to let us know what the records are called every so often....I also think apart from the music of course, the mike usage helps bring the D.J's personality across......If they're havin' a good time - so will we! :wink:

All the best,

I think it’s important for a night or an allnighter. It adds to the experience as you described. Another important point is that they must be coherent. I’ve lost count of the times that I’ve never understood a word.

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL ...Speaking as a great DJ then & now, listen to me and I will show how, it's no use pubbing if you want to go clubbing, no time to romance, get on the floor and start to dance.. you are looking good like a brother from the hood as I know you would. now i

I'm the boss dj no mater what they say I play the sounds that lead the way, every day....I am the boss DJ, my name is DAVE K a 69 KILLER bound to thrill ya! I'm so good I want to jump back and kiss myself, yes I'm looking good as I should in this neighbour hood that's good.  now the name of my song is the killer walk so don't talk listen to killer walk, so g.  et into the killer groove and move your feet to the killer beat  listen to me when I say bow you say wow, hush up know and don't give me lip just let your backbone slip, walk to left clap your hands now to right your out of sight  now clap your hands to my killer walk, now hush up and listen to me hen you will see that I am here to  stay, as I'm the boss DJ now h,,ush up

I want every body in the house to bow now so bow wow wow, I say BOW  (wow) I said BOW (WOW) BOW (WOW) with the BOW WOW WOW I say "WHO LET THE DOGS IN" BOW (WOW) do the Killer Walk, listen to me and you will see I'm as sharp as razor blade a 69 KILLER that's how I am made, i'm on my way coz i'm your boss DJ  here what I say hear what I play before I go I want you to know that be careful where you roam as East London is the home of my team that's what makes me mean like a killer machine, your BOSS DJ know what I mean? my name is DAVE K and I am on may way just time to say "I'm a great DJ every day KTF :thumbup: DAVE K

• Helpful 2
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL ...Speaking as a great DJ then & now, listen to me and I will show how, it's no use pubbing if you want to go clubbing, no time to romance, get on the floor and start to dance.. you are looking good like a brother from the hood as I know you would. now i

I'm the boss dj no mater what they say I play the sounds that lead the way, every day....I am the boss DJ, my name is DAVE K a 69 KILLER bound to thrill ya! I'm so good I want to jump back and kiss myself, yes I'm looking good as I should in this neighbour hood that's good.  now the name of my song is the killer walk so don't talk listen to killer walk, so g.  et into the killer groove and move your feet to the killer beat  listen to me when I say bow you say wow, hush up know and don't give me lip just let your backbone slip, walk to left clap your hands now to right your out of sight  now clap your hands to my killer walk, now hush up and listen to me hen you will see that I am here to  stay, as I'm the boss DJ now h,,ush up

I want every body in the house to bow now so bow wow wow, I say BOW  (wow) I said BOW (WOW) BOW (WOW) with the BOW WOW WOW I say "WHO LET THE DOGS IN" BOW (WOW) do the Killer Walk, listen to me and you will see I'm as sharp as razor blade a 69 KILLER that's how I am made, i'm on my way coz i'm your boss DJ  here what I say hear what I play before I go I want you to know that be careful where you roam as East London is the home of my team that's what makes me mean like a killer machine, your BOSS DJ know what I mean? my name is DAVE K and I am on may way just time to say "I'm a great DJ every day KTF :thumbup: DAVE K

....that's told them "sucker DJ's" Dave....or is that "Ice-D"? (smiley's not working)

Social source share

And here's Dave in action...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

My two penneth ,A good DJ is clued up on the Venue ,has an idea of what works and what don't,keeps is eye on the faces not just the floor,he or she could play a set at one venue and go down well ,same set at another and flop ,not easy and not a job I could do ,I take my hat off to them that get it right  :yes:

Bazza   :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

? Two dimensional world confusing me - I was giving out a compliment (without 'stroking' I hope!).....I'm not Butch, if you were getting me confused (Slightly different Sir names) :wink: 

To further explain what I mean - If Butch decided to retire and give me all his records (or anyone for that matter) I don't think 'Harrythehog' (post 44) who has been travelling to see him D.J, would travel to see me (or whoever) play his tunes - It wouldn't be the same.

I love the old 'Classic' D.J's and is why I mentioned Nick 'Topsy' Turvey :yes: 

Good shout Len...X I had the real pleasure of meeting Nick Topsy Turvy t'other month at the charity All Dayer at Knottingley. My kinda guy! He did what would be considered a graveyard shift early afternoon too and smiled all the way through it and did his thing! Super guy and yes....folk like him make the effort of going to places worthwhile...X

I will see him again this Sunday and will give him an extra hug from you!x

LUV

SOOTY

X

Edited by SOOTY
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Don't want to hear a dj talking,just want to hear the music.Wouldn't bother me if they didn't talk at all.

i think it's weird that british DJs talk at all. in the US we never even use a microphone; just play records!

at least no DJ i've ever seen uses a mic - unless its a wedding DJ saying "now it's time for the bride to dance with her father" - not saying it's a bad thing either way, just different cultures i guess.

Edited by ljblanken
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Yeah, continental European djs don't usually use the mic either but I can't say it diminishes my enjoyment of their sets, it's just that I come from the UK and its a part of my NS heritage, I guess. I do like to hear a dj 'harangue' a crowd Keb Darge style though. You get swept into it... 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

i think it's weird that british DJs talk at all. in the US we never even use a microphone; just play records!

at least no DJ i've ever seen uses a mic - unless its a wedding DJ saying "now it's time for the bride to dance with her father" - not saying it's a bad thing either way, just different cultures i guess.

Some feel the need to say " Forgotten Wigan sound up next.Here's blah blah blah".

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Just get a jukebox instead.  :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Soul Sam - a GREAT D.J. He has an attraction that isn't 'just' his records - he's 'quirky'......unlike some that just 'stand and wait for the record to finish'......that's the only way I know how to explain it....There are subtle, but massive differences that make a D.J stand out.

All the best,

but ,and for the record , i love the man :yes:

.. he has had to work very hard and keep true to his own beliefs ,to get where he has and has had many a bad comment over the yrs .

So in my book ,the answer from me .. one who sticks to his beliefs ,is'nt afraid of negative comments ,but learns from every experience !

• Helpful 2
Social source share

A good DJ plays all the tunes that you want to hear and dance to.

A great DJ plays all the tune I want to hear and dance to. :thumbsup:

Yeah but it's impossible to play all the tunes you like and also do the same for everyone in the same room :(
Social source share

Did I go to a different US ???  always sought out the soul venues around Philly & New York, the ones we went in the DJs talked,

the one who's name I remember was Joe "Butterball" Tamburro, although a radio jock by day, his live shows out in venues at the weekends were the dogs dangalies, so much so, we went every weekend whilst out there.

Top presenter & DJ and boy could he use the mic, sadly passed away last year, RIP Butterball.  :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Did I go to a different US ???  always sought out the soul venues around Philly & New York, the ones we went in the DJs talked,

the one who's name I remember was Joe "Butterball" Tamburro, although a radio jock by day, his live shows out in venues at the weekends were the dogs dangalies, so much so, we went every weekend whilst out there.

Top presenter & DJ and boy could he use the mic, sadly passed away last year, RIP Butterball.  :hatsoff2:

you could totally be right (a "different" USA) as i live on the west coast. no DJ ever speaks at non-soul events (club, reggae, house, etc), and even the soul ones have no talking unless the DJ is a british ex-pat (which there are some I've seen like that in san jose). 

if he's a radio jock, that makes sense. those guys live/die on their personalities!

once again, not complaining - it's just a different DJ culture, i guess. 

someone told me the old (early 70s) reggae sound-system "toasters" in Jamaica became big celebrities (and gave birth to dancehall, if i remember correctly), so it has a rich history!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I suppose you have to ask yourself if you're there to dance/listen to the music for the music or to listen to some dj 'giving it large' about how much a record means to him or how long he's been after it. Sometimes the prattle can be invasive, other times essential, as when identifying a record/artist new to your ears, for example. Also, one tends to see djs who are totally ratted when they get behind the decks, something that simply didn't happen in bygone days of yore. Not sure if someone who's completely arseholed should be in possession of microphone, it seems incompatible to me...

Social source share

I suppose you have to ask yourself if you're there to dance/listen to the music for the music or to listen to some dj 'giving it large' about how much a record means to him or how long he's been after it. Sometimes the prattle can be invasive, other times essential, as when identifying a record/artist new to your ears, for example. Also, one tends to see djs who are totally ratted when they get behind the decks, something that simply didn't happen in bygone days of yore. Not sure if someone who's completely arseholed should be in possession of microphone, it seems incompatible to me...

Yeh I agree, it has to be done professionally - Also, there's nothing worse than a 'shouty' D.J.

If it's done properly I still think Mike usage is good, and adds something.

All the best,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

"What did he say?!"......."F*ck knows"......."I'll go and ask him"......................(On his return)....."Sh*t, I 've forgotten what he said"........ :huh: 

:D 

Now that is funny Len, I have done that on numerous occasions, most embarrassing when ya mates are all waiting to hear what that brilliant tune was...how can you forget summat in less than a minuit...errrrmmmm dont answer that LOL.....

Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Experience, technical ability, presence, the abilty to read a dance floor correctly, passion, self beleif, the right records, bringing some of ya self to the set & making it unique in some way (cant explain this really), the ability to build anticipation......& the X Factor...

But I would honestly say, other than the obvious (great records), experince is the thing that makes the difference, when you are DJing on a reasonably regular basis, you learn to read a crowd/floor, the crowd begin to anticipate your 'sound' & those that like it get behind you & raise the atmosphere within a room.... & dont start a set with what you consider to be your biggest track of the moment....it leaves ya know to go...build it, drop it down a bit then BOOM !!!...

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I guess it depends what you want from a night, if you want to dance a good Dj fills the dancefloor, a great Dj keeps it full, for me it's unpredictability that makes a great Dj as i'm just as happy listening to great music as I am dancing to it so if I can come away from a night with three things in my mind, not heard that in ages, never heard that before and a few tunes noted for future listening then I'm happy. On the use of the mike it depends on the Dj, a clear and enthusiastic voice  can add to the atmosphere, incoherrent babling just annoys me , is it just me or do Dj's in general never seem to tell you the artist and title of the one record in the night you don't know and really like?

Social source share

Sorry, totally disagree, on the NS Scene, the ability to use the Mic 'properly' creates atmosphere...if you dont want to hear occasional mic talk go to a rave or some such thing where mixing is the thing & mic is not neccessary...

best Russ  

As i stated earlier in this thread, i only use the mike to introduce the DJ following me, (but as i normally do "oldies" nites everybody knows the track by the first couple of bars). But i don't mind DJ's using the mike as long as they know when to stop, (some can "rabbit on").

Edited by Gogs
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!