Songs That Really Pull At Your Heart Strings . . .

Guest MBarrett

• Replies 555
  • Views 34k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Mike, I assumed you were referring to Pop-In or whatever it was called.

But, then again, I probably didn't hang out in adult book stores quite as often as you did.

:hypocrite:

P.S.  Just out of interest, is Bob's adult book store still there ???

Yes 'Pop-in' Paul.  It was just along from where Jack Hatfield's still is now, corner of Ruby St maybe? 

Social source share

Guest oldsoulgit

Hi Kev

The Cicero Blake track is a favourite of mine :thumbsup: a couple more that get to me as well are an A&B side by Tommy Hunt on Atlantic  Hold On & I Don't Want To Lose You. pure class

Cheers Jim.

Just played Paul Williams OMG

Edited by oldsoulgit
Social source share

Dionne Warwick - "A House Is Not A Home"

Gloria Lynne - "I Wish You Love"

Rita Wright _ "I Can't Give Back The Love I Feel For You"

Spinners - "Truly Yours"

Satintones - "My Beloved"

Hi Robb

Have you heard the Temps version of Truly Yours, a mate gave me a tape of unissued stuff years ago, that was the track that really stood out, don't know if its on an album.

Kev

Social source share

Guest oldsoulgit

Hi Kev

The Temps -  Truly Yours  is on the 25th Anniversary double album, don't know if it came out on any others.

Cheers Jim.

Social source share

Hi Kev

The Temps -  Truly Yours  is on the 25th Anniversary double album, don't know if it came out on any others.

Cheers Jim.

Cheers Jim :thumbsup:

It was on a tape, so that tells you how long ago it was, remember thinking it was David Ruffin at his brilliant best when I heard it

Kev

Social source share

Hi Robb

Have you heard the Temps version of Truly Yours, a mate gave me a tape of unissued stuff years ago, that was the track that really stood out, don't know if its on an album.

Kev

Yes, I have that album.  LOTS of the unreleased cuts issued in The Motown 25th Anniversary Series were slated by me, and Tom DePierro for our jettisoned "From The Vaults" LP series.  I like The Temptations' version, but I think The Spinners' version got the "A" Hit treatment, and is much better.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Rob Alias

Donny Hathaway - Extension Of A Man (1973)

For me there are moments that remain unsurpassed in listening to this album.

Rob Alias

The Beats & Pieces Show

Starpoint Radio

Social source share

Got to say this thread has been a belter and has turned me on to more great tunes than I can say.

I've been into soul all my life and it's a constant learning curve and it's great to know there's always always something new to discover, even if its fifty years old!

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest oldsoulgit

Three Motown tracks that get to me.  Gladys Knight & Pips - If I were your woman (your like a diamond but she treats you like glass, great line ) - love it.

Spinners - Together we can make such sweet music - Marvin Gaye - Abraham, Martin & John.

Cheers Jim.

Social source share

Guest Rob Alias

Here we go Rob, absolute masterpiece

His best !!

Kev

Kev.

I really appreciate you posting the link, it really is a fantastic album, it destroys me every time.

Best wishes as ever.

Rob Alias

The Beats & Pieces Show

Starpoint Radio

Social source share

I mean REALLY pull at your heart strings

Records that go to the very depths of your emotions. You don't just hear them through your ears but you feel them through your whole body!

They almost cause physical pain but then the pain becomes a pleasure all of its own.

Hopelessly in love . . . lost love . . . unrequited love . . . you name it . . . 

Two for me below. What are yours?

and

MBarrett,

What a wonderful, heart wrenching thread!  To hear some of these songs again is amazing and to know these folks went through the personal emotion(s) and...

SURVIVED

to live and tell their innermost feelings through or with soul music.   I know some of us thought tomorrow would never come, or I'll never fall in love again, etc.

Good intro and thread

Lorraine

Edited by lorchand
Social source share

Guest BILL THE BLOCK

I know its already been mentioned,but Bessie Banks try to leave me if you can always sends shivers up my spine.

Social source share

From 3 different branches of soul for me,,,,,,,,

Northern,,,,, Kenny Shepherd,,,,,,,, What difference does it make

70's soul,,,,, Main Ingredient,,,,,,,,,, Everybody plays the fool

80's soul,,,, Dayton,,,,,,,,, Promise me

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Great pick Brian, this thread should be chocker with stuff from the main man

Kev

Agreed Kev. In respect of his Minit material they are all worth snapping up, every one a gem. Either that or his two Minit albums "Fly Me To The Moon" and "My Prescription"

Could pick quite a few but have a special liking for "Thank You"

Social source share

Agreed Kev. In respect of his Minit material they are all worth snapping up, every one a gem. Either that or his two Minit albums "Fly Me To The Moon" and "My Prescription"

Could pick quite a few but have a special liking for "Thank You"

Yes Dave, another great choice, got that on a 45, 

Kev

Social source share

Hi there Yes it Happens every time..... didn't know this up to 3 years ago my old mate Waddy from orse n groom got me one I played it on the Wed before Brid last year when I was sorting the records out for the weekend , Played it on the hour and every half hour just cried all night it just gets to me ,  NB I love Atlantic stuff, New York ect not a big fan on other stuff but this just gets to me early in the morning how it gets to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!