At last! Mello Souls For Auction

Dobber

1 hour ago, Mgm 1251 said:

So what do you reckon the final bid is gonna be then chaps...?

I see it has a £10,000.00 reserve, and currently has a £500.00 offer on it....

Don’t know what the final amount will be but I know it’s coming home with me😉

18 hours ago, Chalky said:

Not the first time its been auctioned though.

Yeah I seem to recall jms a few years back,was it approx 12k?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I haven't seen such a starting position in for a long time.

Mello Souls - We Can Make It - Mello 967

This record is online right now at Rare Soul Vinyl.
The condition is stated as a VG++ so it should be perfectly adequate.
The labels look great - a little rub-wear but still satisfactory.
The record is incredibly rare, I think most would agree - also an incredibly long C/U period than the Del Larks.

I would be interested to know: 

Which other records come close to such a sum, maybe as a set sale aswell, except Frank Wilson? What are your ideas? 
Northern - Modern - Xover - Deep - Sweet - ... 
Since we are already talking about the highest league, I can only think of the following:
Lester Tipton, Joseph Webster, Larry Clinton (Stock)
Feedback very welcome

The image was taken from the page
https://www.raresoulvinyl.co.uk/auctions/#3458

Zanetti

224101_mellosouls.thumb.jpg.416fc4f1808b6524d413a6893fa767e9.jpg

Social source share

20 hours ago, Dobber said:

Now this is what I like to see,an auction site auctioning a worthy piece!

tim brown has mello souls on,starting bids 10 big ones👍

Which other records come close to such a sum, maybe as a set sale aswell, except Frank Wilson? What are your ideas? 
Since we are already talking about the highest league, I can only think of the following:
Feedback very welcome

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Zanetti said:

Feedback very welcome

Top end shrine stuff? Prophets,counts,jd Bryant?

del larks,the one on king(can’t remember the guys name)?

I think it’s a small list containing 10k plus items

Social source share

11 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Top end shrine stuff? Prophets,counts,jd Bryant?

I think it’s a small list containing 10k plus items

Would that be about the order?
Absolutely out of my league, so I don't have a clue.
What about: D.C. Blossoms?

17 minutes ago, Dobber said:

You mean this Junior McCants? Yes, could also match

• Up vote 1
Social source share

41 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Would that be about the order?
Absolutely out of my league, so I don't have a clue.
What about: D.C. Blossoms?

You mean this Junior McCants? Yes, could also match

Junior McCants..that’s the one!

I’ve had a lot of the shrine stuff including j d Bryant,I sold jd Bryant some 5 years ago for 8k,so I would imagine today it may get past the 10k mark.

I doubt dc blossoms is in the top end,but certainly towards 3k

ive had bill dennis 3 times,but never got more that 2.5k for them…all stone mint too!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Dobber said:

I’ve had a lot of the shrine stuff including j d Bryant,I sold jd Bryant some 5 years ago for 8k,so I would imagine today it may get past the 10k mark.

do you remember approximately when you bought it? what was the sale value at that time?

Social source share

14 hours ago, Mark W said:

That’s great that it’s not even the first record on the list, very unassuming as if it wasn’t the best record in the auction, when in fact it’s the best record of all time!

It’s also good of Tim to let us see the current offers,despite being way below the reserve price...we can hopefully see the offers progress...👍

Social source share

11 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Bit pointless putting in a bid of £500 when the reserve price is £10k!

Would be interesting to learn if this is a known copy or one previously undocumented, maybe even found in the wild.  That would be something!

Not really,if the final bid is £7500.00,then that will be the true value,not £10000.00 as reserved....but you’re right,it won’t sell....

• Up vote 1
Social source share

15 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

do you remember approximately when you bought it? what was the sale value at that time?

I actually sold it 9 years ago,I bought it set sale,not auction,and at the time I think between 6 and 8k would have been a expected amount,but just like the prophets,counts,don gardner,inspirations and now Mello souls,they very rarely come up for sale,mainly all auction now! And your gonna pay for the privilege 😂

Social source share

Looks like its made £5k over the last two nights, I think it will do £12k easy, might be more... there must be a kerfuffel over at Waltham on the Wolds, where do you find one of these to level the auction platform playing field...!

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Mal C said:

Looks like its made £5k over the last two nights, I think it will do £12 easy, might be more... there must be a kerfuffel over at Waltham on the Wolds, where do you find one of these to level the auction platform playing field...!

😂 yeah your right,would have to be something special to get on par!

Social source share

2 hours ago, Dobber said:

I’m already selling my kids off,but your right,I will need more than 500 quid,might have to chuck the wife in to😂

Your gonna have a pop at it then Lee....nice one!! from memory only seen one auctioned, very rare indeed. Up there with Sandy Golden as one that I've only seen sold once. Thank you Rob

Social source share

What a Superb record, and one I can honestly say have loved since first hearing Butch play it! I recall driving home from a Ritz All-nighter in my buddys car, when he had turned this right up to full volume on tape, and we had a blow out on the outskirts of Manchester.....Hairy moment, in the middle of the sax break, and thinking it was going to be the last record I'd ever hear......

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Wilxy said:

What a Superb record, and one I can honestly say have loved since first hearing Butch play it! I recall driving home from a Ritz All-nighter in my buddys car, when he had turned this right up to full volume on tape, and we had a blow out on the outskirts of Manchester.....Hairy moment, in the middle of the sax break, and thinking it was going to be the last record I'd ever hear......

Brilliant memory of a record👍

Social source share

23 minutes ago, Lionelonthevinyl said:

Your gonna have a pop at it then Lee....nice one!! from memory only seen one auctioned, very rare indeed. Up there with Sandy Golden as one that I've only seen sold once. Thank you Rob

Well I’m not a dj,not a collector,but every now and then certain records I just like to own…even for a short while until the fantasy dies off,then back to reality with an eBay sale😂

• Up vote 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, Dobber said:

Well I’m not a dj,not a collector,but every now and then certain records I just like to own…even for a short while until the fantasy dies off,then back to reality with an eBay sale😂

You've had a lot of stuff go  through your hands mate!!😂😂 thing is you chase these records and get them, play them, and that's  sort of it..they sit in your record box...I never dj,d so that was how I was... Off topic and maybe other folk are different in there thinking?? Thank you...Rob

P.s it's hardly a little cheapie to buy😂😂

Edited by Lionelonthevinyl
Social source share

There's been a few mad price listings on Discogs recently - Charles Webster $12000 - as always buy it now - cannot prove it sold but after a few weeks it disappeared from the listings - I'll have a look at my listing records and see what else has been listed at $12000 + They've been others and I'll report back later.

• Thanks 1
Social source share

Off topic - slightly.
Would anyone know where Butch's copy came from ?
I wondered if it was Rob Marriot.
Many, many, many years ago travelling back from a venue and Eddie H. had a tape of his (poss no track listing).
All of a sudden "we can make it" came on.
We all looked at each other and said "that's Butch's c/u !"
This was years before anyone knew what it was.

Don't think I am dreaming this - so be kind with your replies.

Social source share

16 minutes ago, Becket said:

Off topic - slightly.
Many, many, many years ago travelling back from a venue and Eddie H. had a tape of his (poss no track listing).

No idea where Mark got his from. However, Alan asked a dealer to send him any record that wasn't on Motown, but the intro sound like the Supremes - you keep me hanging on - struck lucky didn't he?

maybe either from   John Moore's Middle Room Records?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Becket said:

Off topic - slightly.

He got it from States. 

Social source share

To me Mello Souls is the best Northern records I ever heard. Uptempo, haunting tune, brill vocals, low-fi recording. It has everything I want in a Northern Soul record. Wish I had the dosh. I wouldn't be surprised if this goes well into 5 figures.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

21 hours ago, Chalky said:

shifty  story  go i was told  ,got it from  U S A  in early 90s sat in is box  few years , then some one play it , then 100 club  that night , took off ,not sure it was cover up ,as, only 9/11  theses about ,story i was told , rest is history 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!