Open your ears and your minds

Chalky

1 hour ago, Solidsoul said:

Maybe this one would fit?   I have had it my collection for many years.  I was in the small room at Lowton a few years back and my mate said "this sounds very good, it must be another version of the Bobby Patterson record".  It was playing loud and we had to go a find out what this new version was?  Yes it was Bobby Patterson record we already had, but sounded so good after all these years of never playing it, and listening to it playing loud!!

Fabulous track, on Bobby P, I pulled this out the other day, literally first time in 20 years, an oldie of massive proportions, and one I'd bring back, should be on that other thread we had going last week, ones you would ditch, tracks to bring back...

I totally missed that Jonny Benavidez track, that is wonderful isnt it...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, Dysonsoul said:

There are loads of quality records to buy on a budget, I think dj's and to a certain extent collectors have become a little  lazy ( maybe the internet played a part in that ) do it the proper way, look through boxes , tape swap , badger reputable dealers to do you a sales tape of there cheaper stuff, go to the states, go to your mates to listen to their stuff,  work hard at it !

Spot on!

Social source share

10 hours ago, Dysonsoul said:

There are loads of quality records to buy on a budget, I think dj's and to a certain extent collectors have become a little  lazy ( maybe the internet played a part in that ) do it the proper way, look through boxes , tape swap , badger reputable dealers to do you a sales tape of there cheaper stuff, go to the states, go to your mates to listen to their stuff,  work hard at it !

Andy will you do me a sales tape of your cheaper stuff please. 😄

I'm often at Tim Browns Anglo American warehouse in Todmorden and there's nearly always collectors going through boxes of singles. You can also try before you buy.

Bob

Edited by Jessie Pinkman
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, Dysonsoul said:

And this topic confirms what we are saying with the requests for examples rather than go digging which is what this topic was about. 

Social source share

On 21/09/2023 at 12:38, Mal C said:

More than plenty... and allot from artists that have many collectables to their name, I mean in plays out, not always rarity.  For example,

You can get Margie Joseph "Punish Me" on Volt for a tenner... which is an utterly brilliant record, that's got to be a steal given how much you pay for  "I'll Always Love you", or "Nobody" and the rest of her Atlantic sides, and thats an easy one.  How about Moody Scott - We've Gotta Save it on SS7, cheap as chips, but the totally right groove... two stunning tracks for what 20/25 quid all in... 

Ignored sixties sides, The Jammers - Doin' The Look on Jubilee, thats under a tenner, but musically right up there, how about the The Ideals - I Got Lucky, seriously good chicago soul, for what £10/15 at most...

These are all 'known' as well, if  The festivals - You got the Makings on Smash... can fetch so much, having been a five pound record, these have to be a steal right?   I could go on...

Mal, A massive thumbs up for The Ideals "I got lucky" from me. Just wonderful.

Social source share

4 hours ago, Chalky said:

And this topic confirms what we are saying with the requests for examples rather than go digging which is what this topic was about. 

I said there are hardly any quality allnighter tunes below 3 figures any more. And so far I'm not proven wrong in my opinion. Some nice songs posted in this thread but I wouldn't play majority of them at an allnighter.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

I personally, absolutely love playing cheap records loud & I'm pleased that someone else thinks that Manhattans track sounds great too! Whenever I've put a mix together for my mixcloud, I always tried to put a spotlight on stuff I love but dont get to play or hear out often so if you want to hear some of them message me and I'll send you it.
I'm a firm believer of A.T.B being by far the best format... It just makes sense in my eyes, done right can be complimentary to the selections and generally gives room to allow everything to breathe. 

Great cheap one I was buzzing to have heard out and was surprised cause of its price and availability was at the last Swinton, Fireman Phil played Roosevelt Grier - C'mon Cupid sort of middle of the set.

Anyway here are a small grip of tunes I really adore that are probably overlooked cos they're just cheap.

A budget Okeh oldie which has a really fun back up vocal and a nice bounce to it that sounds amazing over a big sound system and some genuinely interesting drum patterns which I think some dancers interpret well and has an addictive quality to it. 

Another is one of them Stax adjacent sounds which I think is massively undervalued and not heard enough. One I've been playing in sets for a bit and actually bought my friend a copy because it's so cheap and needs more plays.

Bangin uptempo R&B which has all the facets of a couple of mainstay Northern in-demanders, I love this and can imagine it going down well with the right crowd.

Criminally priced moody 70s stepper, I always say Leon sounds like he has the spirit of Gil of coming through him, I also remember seeing a video of a semi recent event on Facebook but can't remember where and it was getting a lot of praise, amazing track anyway... I play this pretty regularly and rate it highly but you have to make sure you get the demo copy and not the issue. 

I could do this all day haha.

Edited by Clee93
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

4 hours ago, Benji said:

I said there are hardly any quality allnighter tunes below 3 figures any more. And so far I'm not proven wrong in my opinion. Some nice songs posted in this thread but I wouldn't play majority of them at an allnighter.

As I said, where these quality nighters? I wouldn't knock the 100 club but 'rhythm and soul', its has never been about big nighter records, has it?

Social source share

This is a really good one, on Brunswick too.... cool record.

Does anybody know any books or reference on the Brunswick productions that were bought into the company after all their home-grown successes, which were colossal of course. In the later period of the label, they bought more productions in, which kind of lost their sound, I’d love to find out more about that part of the labels history. I have Robert Pruters book of course.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 23/09/2023 at 07:15, Chalky said:

Andy Dyson played a good few at Ashton, he played another batch on Dean's show as did Tim Ashibende who played an hour all under £50

Being a regular to Deans show, there have been a few spots of late, including Tim's which played some 'cheaper' tracks  - the vast majority I've not heard before and all have been great. 

It makes for a good variance and satisfies the need for hearing new sounds - they're also all we mere mortals can afford.....

Social source share

13 hours ago, Keamus said:

This is a great thread, but thus far most of the recommendations are 60s discs so in the interest of representing the modern corner here are a couple I’ve recently purchased. Probably well known in some circles, but new to me in last few months.

Great record, and Soul Sam spin in the ealy 8ts, he played the long intro version, the one you linked there is the short version...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I'm a gluten for anything Brunswick, and here is a track that is very well known, it's been on Kent comps, and CDs in the past, but what a record.

like every self respecting soul fan, I LOVE! anything Jean Wells did, especially her Calla sides 🙂

One artist that I think gets overlooked is Jean DuShon, she had such a distinctive voice, very breathy, but when she gave it some, my golly she was good, how about 'Second Class Lover'? and what about  'What Now My Love' that track nearly runs away from her, right on the edge, just out of reach...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

One I kept under my hat for a long while, think of some of those massive Chicago rarities, the price you'd pay then check this bugger. Played loud this would do it....

They have lot of great records on Windy C. 

(Disclaimer, I no longer play out on the scene, bear that in mind)

Edited by BraveDamage
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Wesley Paige is very overlooked,  his 'Ive got to find out for Myself' is very good, and also came out on Columbia. 

He had a few on Rojac, 'Blame it on Your Love' is a serious deepie, and the flip of that 45 (see scans) 'You Turn me Around' I always rated.

Mal.C. - SS Swap Nov 2007.jpg

Mal.C. - SS Swap Nov 2007 1.jpg

How about, The Whispers - I Cant See Myself Leaving You,  a very good 45 by them, and by chance I might have one in my sales box ...

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I have been listening to this over the weekend, Ralphie D - We Let Go Of A Beautiful Thing / 20th Century.

Can’t find any other releases by 'Ralphie D' does anybody know who this guy was?   I haven’t researched the name David Appell, who appears in the writing credits, maybe Ralphie D was a moniker for David?

I also can't make my mind up, whether he is a black or White singer, but either way this is a very good 45, be good to find out more about who he was and whether he recorded anything else.

Social source share

The Little Ralphie D & Ralphie D tracks almost certainly cut in Philly (though that doesn't mean Ralp D was from the city).

His producer did a lot of stuff for 20th Century at that time (mid 60's) -- both soul & pop.

Maybe a Philly expert could add more facts on him -- His producer was Dave Appell who had worked extensively for Cameo Parkway up to 65/66. Dave worked in conjunction with Joe Tarsia at the time of the 20th Cent released stuff (the guy who went on to design / build Sigma Sound St),

After 67, Dave Appell seemed to do more pop stuff and worked a lot with the Tokens (who were New York based).

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!