Butch

Go to solution Solved by Still Diggin,

Two great DJ's of today

Great choice Simon which I fully agree with. Two great DJs and both from the same town would you believe, what's the chances of that I wonder? Stoke on Trent seems to be a place that bypasses the national spotlight yet produces these two great tastemakers. Imagine how big the pile of records would be if you added up together all the records that have been through their collective hands.

derek

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 16 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dobber said:

In fact that further convinces me that there is a secret society of access to one offs,acetates etc that us mere mortals will never get to see😂

I met him once at a record fair, to boot he was a lovely guy to chat with, took time with me and my complete lack of any knowledge whatsoever- in no way belittling or patronizing just helpful, patient and passionate about the records. But...............................................................i only noticed he blinked once but I'm positive he did blink vertically?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Dobber said:

That list shows you just how not a single dj can touch him! That is one hell of a lot of one offs!😳

clearly the scenes greatest by a mile!

Agree 100%. And that list doesn't include so many of his bigger plays over the years.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 13/11/2023 at 18:25, sostenuto said:

I think the people who have been following him for the last twenty years will have seen his spot change depending upon which venue he's playing at.  The 100 club crowd and the Europeans get a much diverse set of records from Butch.  Here is a list of his lesser known Northern stuff, mainly from this period.  

Blenders-just an ordinary guy  c/u 

Mighty Lovers-they are saying c/u

Mill Edwards-just like the weather-Exodus acetate

Martha Jean Love-old time lover c/u

Perfections-just cant leave you

Perfections-my imagination

Bessie Banks-i want a guarantee Columbia acetate 

Devonnes-doin’ the gittin up  RCA Custom acetate 

Derek Martin-flash back-Associated acetate

Primers-how does it grab you-loch Sound acetate (alt. version)

The Chymes-Im walking in the park-acetate

Hopkins Bros-shake sherri-Magnetik

Sharon Soul & the Rich Tees-been hearing about you c/u (Sweet Tones acetate)

Vessie Simmons-got to have your love c/u 

Larry Williams-cause I'm a soul brother c/u

Mandells-love is so wonderful c/u

Agents-trouble-Impact Sound (alt. version)

De-lites-trouble-AMS acetate (alt version)

E Rodney Jones-you brought out the good in me c/u

Brenda Holloway-dont turn you back on me 10” Motown acetate

JB Hammond-kiss me baby c/u  

Ivey Joe Hunter-where are you 10” Motown acetate

Porgy Williams-there goes the fool 

Tyrone Thomas-baby cant you see-Allegro acetate

Herman Lewis-good things come to those who wait-acetate

Kenny Carlton-I gotta talk to you

Ken Barker-see how bad i wanna love you-Groovesville acetate

Big Tim & Empires-your turn to be blue-Mecury acetate

August Moon-don’t tell me no lies-Gotham acetate.

Tommy & Derbys-goin back to Houston-Kool

Intrepids-you dont love me c/u 

Pipkin Brothers-that’s why I love you 

Diplomats-run back to my lovin arms c/u 

Brenda Starr-satan let me sleep 2016 (alt. version)

give me time to think it over-United acetate (unreleased Thelma)

Speed Limit-take it from me c/u 

Little Dooley-got to help me find my baby c/u  

Billy Wisdom-I wish I was c/u

Voicemasters-dance inst.

Roe-o-tation-special category 2018 (alt. version)

Richard Caiton-reflections-Uptight

Emeralds-beware-Vick  

Bobby Paris-please say it’s not so c/u

Ring Masters-moonlight lovers c/u  

Adlibs-love is knocking at my heart Bell Sound acetate

Len Jewel-dynamite lover c/u 

The Butlers-I don't understand it

Four Tracks-like a love I never had c/u

Sugar Pie Desanto-guess who c/u 

Johnny Brantley-have pity on a fool like me c/u

Clarence Townsend-getting my life straight c/u

Profiles-is it my girl that’s putting me through it c/u

Charlene & soul serenaders-can you win-Paradox

The Belairs-I got the feeling-Virtue (alt. version)

Original Matadors-searching for love c/u  

Marvin Sims-that’s what she told me c/u  

Ed Townsend & Tru-Glows-it’s a lonely night c/u  

And the Echoes-my love for you c/u 

Van McCoy-so soon April Blackwood acetate

Exits-cool operator c/u  

Debonairs-it was a dream c/u  

West Coast Distributors-Ive been deserted c/u 

Vashionettes-say yes c/u 

Trends-don’t dance so close c/u 

Topics-I could never find a nicer girl-Sound Plus

Gentlemen Four-in this world

Rudy Love-who’s fooling you c/u 

Alder Ray-what are you trying to do to me-Master

Herb Ward-Im so glad-Virtue acetate 

Milestones-girl I'm too much man  c/u  

Unknown artist-in one ear-Virtue

Albert Jones-security & satisfaction c/u 

Imperial Wonders-I love her so c/u 

South Coast Connection-one step ahead inst. c/u 

A Case of Time-Ive got to take it c/u 

Bill Bush & greater exp.-girl dry you tears c/u 

Soulful Core-come on & show me c/u 

Judy Freeman-does he wonder c/u 

Uptights-you bring out the love c/u 

Full Force-you’re looking good c/u 

Mitchell Hawkins & Choice of Love-I don't want to lose you acetate

Masters of Soul-oh girl don’t let go  c/u  

Randy & Radiants-it’s over c/u (alt. Bands of Gold)

Noble & Uptights-dont wory about it-Action

Bobby Jones-stop-acetate

5 Perfections-you can do it c/u

Ray Frazier-my baby’s hand-Wright Sound

Cindy Scott-heartaches & pain c/u 

Eddie Alexander-fix it man c/u

Willie Newman & Del Reys-love done past me by-acetate

Profiles-I still love you-Universal acetate (alt. version)

Ike Perry & Lyrics-dont turn around-Cleveland acetate 

Joe Adams-stop-Frankford Wayne acetate 

Richard Anthony-no good-Virtue acetate (alt. take)

Don Hart-turn back-Mary Jane

Alvin Glover-call me baby c/u

United Sounds-its all over-United

An incredible list of records but the one from the list which just blew me away when I first heard it is Vessie Simmons-got to have your love c/u Absoulutly fantastic IMHO. and one I can't wait to hear again at the Spirit of the Orwell night when he appears as the Guest DJ on November 25th...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, BazM said:

An incredible list of records but the one from the list which just blew me away when I first heard it is Vessie Simmons-got to have your love c/u Absoulutly fantastic IMHO. and one I can't wait to hear again at the Spirit of the Orwell night when he appears as the Guest DJ on November 25th...

Hi BazM

I don't know it, probably a cracker though, i do though have a general question re C/Us. No doubt C/Us are intriguing and mysterious but why bother? if a record is proven to be so rare and so unobtainable surely there's no need to cover it up? It "implies" to me that its obtainable "if" you can find out the artist/name etc or is this not really the point/case of a C/U?.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

45 minutes ago, Soul Salad said:

Hi BazM

I don't know it, probably a cracker though, i do though have a general question re C/Us. No doubt C/Us are intriguing and mysterious but why bother? if a record is proven to be so rare and so unobtainable surely there's no need to cover it up? It "implies" to me that its obtainable "if" you can find out the artist/name etc or is this not really the point/case of a C/U?.

Most of these records are acetates with unknown artists.

Social source share

Just pulled this of our event for this Friday @FTMNTC 

This is wot  to expext his selections to be ......!

I aim to be playing many of my best friends discoveries from when I started djing until the present day. Many records that became massive on the upfront scene spanning over the last 43 years. A period after many of the iconic djs from the 70s had decided that the scene was finished and had consequently left.   

Edited by Kev John
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

22 hours ago, Soul Salad said:

i do though have a general question re C/Us. No doubt C/Us are intriguing and mysterious but why bother? if a record is proven to be so rare and so unobtainable surely there's no need to cover it up? It "implies" to me that its obtainable "if" you can find out the artist/name etc or is this not really the point/case of a C/U?.

C/U are necessary because if just one more DJ can get a copy it means it isn't an exclusive anymore.

That means the original dj has a slightly less desirable record to play.

Plus it could also be bootlegged by the new finder!

Edited by Solidsoul
Social source share

19 hours ago, Lionelonthevinyl said:

Heard this plenty of times....great record though!! Thank you...Rob

(At rare under played events)

Fairdos... Can you remember who by?

I was told there was only few known copies.

Edited by Clee93
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, Clee93 said:

Fairdos... Can you remember who by?

I was told there was only few known copies

I can't help you I'm afraid, sorry. But I've heard it on lots of  occasions. It's rare I believe but certainly copies around. There are lots of people (not always the big name dj,s) who have seriously good collections. Possibly heard Rob Gray play it who i don't think you would know? Thank you Rob

Also heard Rob Gray play Sandy Golden, now thats a rare mega tune!!!

Edited by Lionelonthevinyl
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On possibly the one occasion Shifty played the Manchester Ritz Bank Holiday All Nighter, he played " Love Slave " first time i heard it so, thats in the last 20+ years ( probably 2002/3 )

Obviously not aware that it may already have been in Butch's playlist at the time...just then....but, deffo in his playlist at the Lea Manor Hotel " end of an era " All Nighter in 2002, as i compiled the entire playlist for that 10 hour session....still on display on Dave Rimmer's Soulful Kinda Music website.....

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, Chalky said:

Think it was a Shifty discovery....could be wrong and it was Butch???  Here n the UK anyway.  Be at least 30 years ago I guess.

Chalky, 20 years...if it was longer i wouldve been surprised but like ive posted after this response, heard Shity play it, then Butch....it wouldnt be unusual if Mark had something like that in his collection for a lot longer as is his trademark, he trickles them out...but Alan turned up in Manchester eith it and like, blew everybody away....it didnt take long for Ginger to scout a copy...and i wouldnt be entirely sure about this but he may have bought it off Shifty in the process?

Social source share

7 hours ago, Agentsmith said:

Chalky, 20 years...if it was longer i wouldve been surprised but like ive posted after this response, heard Shity play it, then Butch....it wouldnt be unusual if Mark had something like that in his collection for a lot longer as is his trademark, he trickles them out...but Alan turned up in Manchester eith it and like, blew everybody away....it didnt take long for Ginger to scout a copy...and i wouldnt be entirely sure about this but he may have bought it off Shifty in the process?

Shifty got two copies from Barry Wickham in LA, sold one to Carl Fortnum. Ginger was some time after, may have been Shifty's when he sold up?  It was early to mid 90s, 92/3? before I got married in 1996.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

19 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Shifty got two copies from Barry Wickham in LA, sold one to Carl Fortnum. Ginger was some time after, may have been Shifty's when he sold up?  It was early to mid 90s, 92/3? before I got married in 1996.

Yes, i think you're right regards Ginger, i'll ask him when i see him...but you're right😉👍 hmmm....10 years, long time to have something like thaat before it went big but, then again no surprise from a collectors point of view...loads never djed originally, just amassed stuff that the majority maybe never heard or saw

6 hours ago, Woodbutcher said:

Alan was playing the Antellects in the mid 90s.

Honestly wouldnt have been aware of that, but great to set timelines straight, it was around a lot longer than most folk wouldve known😉👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

26 minutes ago, Agentsmith said:

Yes, i think you're right regards Ginger, i'll ask him when i see him...but you're right😉👍 hmmm....10 years, long time to have something like thaat before it went big but, then again no surprise from a collectors point of view...loads never djed originally, just amassed stuff that the majority maybe never heard or saw

It was massive at the time, floor filler for Alan wherever he played, Butch and Carl also.

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Just now, Agentsmith said:

Cheers Chalky...i think i missed the 90's...was it any good??🤣🤣🤣 i promise it isnt dementia.😁😉👍

Actually.....thats ironic isnt it because.....a lot of folk came back to the scene mid to late 90's and probably wouldnt have heard these tunes either.... still expecting for their ears to prick up to the oldies they were familiar with....definitely a shift in playlists, a continuation of the Stafford process

Social source share

21 minutes ago, Dobber said:

I’m 99% sure ginger played antellects at Blackpool tower around 2014,cos I remember thinking this feels to obscure for here,trying sit antellects inbetween your ready now and out on the floor😂 

ref Ginger and 'love slave' a casual site search takes ya way back to 2004

search link 

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/search/?q="love slave"&quick=1&updated_after=any&sortby=newest&page=13

Edited by Mike
search link add
Social source share

6 hours ago, Mike said:

ref Ginger and 'love slave' a casual site search takes ya way back to 2004

search link 

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/search/?q="love slave"&quick=1&updated_after=any&sortby=newest&page=13

That coincides just about to when Shifty sold up his big big ticket stuff, stepped away from the 100 Club, the 'major' venues and rarities, going back to his scooter rally roots.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

13 hours ago, sostenuto said:

And where was Nancy Yahoo djing 20 years ago?  Not a name I remember ever djing in Britain where it matters.

Think the point he was making was just that there were other people with it and playing it?? Calm down pal. 

Edited by Corbett80
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

23 hours ago, sostenuto said:

And where was Nancy Yahoo djing 20 years ago?  Not a name I remember ever djing in Britain where it matters.

I've spoken to Nancys husband who I occasionally buy records off (Nev Griffiths) and said she had collected a good few off of the label and also said he thinks she got 5K for her copy many moons ago... Regarding volume of copies he said its anyones guess but probably into double figures as plenty of older rare soul djs have copies.

Edited by Clee93
Social source share

On 17/11/2023 at 07:49, Agentsmith said:

Actually.....thats ironic isnt it because.....a lot of folk came back to the scene mid to late 90's and probably wouldnt have heard these tunes either.... still expecting for their ears to prick up to the oldies they were familiar with....definitely a shift in playlists, a continuation of the Stafford process

Have to agree completely with that analogy Chalky....same for me too, probably 97...really took off for me big style when Prestwich happened, then Brighouse Ritz and Lowton Civic...the All nighters followed with Manchester Ritz, Kings Hall Stoke and even managed Winsford twice and the legendary Tony's Empress once!.....oh....and then of course there's the little matter of the Lea Manor....thats where all this unknown ( well, stafford orientated ) stuff came home to me....broadened the horizons and outlook.

Its seems some folk probably werent even aware of the Antellects until recent years as well?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Why exactly is Love Slave so revered? - it is no doubt a GREAT record but there are many better/equal records than Love slave (IMO) possibly rarer too, there was SPG too for a while in the late 80s - OK not so rare but was everybody favourite record for a good while after it being first played, obviously Mello souls ect etc. 

Is it because certain records just seem to carry that "buzz" way after their discovery ie the x factor? not for any particular single reason whereas some records just seem to fizzle out or stop being played. Off track slightly but would SPG reach such dizzying heights on a JM auction now? or is it one that's just fizzled out over time as nobody plays it out - curious that's all.

D

Social source share

14 minutes ago, Soul Salad said:

there was SPG too for a while in the late 80s - OK not so rare but was everybody favourite record for a good while after it being first played, obviously Mello souls ect etc. 

Off track slightly but would SPG reach such dizzying heights on a JM auction now? or is it one that's just fizzled out over time as nobody plays it out - curious that's all.

D

"SPG" ... ?

Social source share

16 minutes ago, Soul Salad said:

Why exactly is Love Slave so revered? - it is no doubt a GREAT record but there are many better/equal records than Love slave (IMO) possibly rarer too, there was SPG too for a while in the late 80s - OK not so rare but was everybody favourite record for a good while after it being first played, obviously Mello souls ect etc. 

Is it because certain records just seem to carry that "buzz" way after their discovery ie the x factor? not for any particular single reason whereas some records just seem to fizzle out or stop being played. Off track slightly but would SPG reach such dizzying heights on a JM auction now? or is it one that's just fizzled out over time as nobody plays it out - curious that's all.

D

What’s SPG?

Social source share

1 minute ago, Still Diggin said:

Probably Silver platinum Gold  'Loveland' on Magic which should probably be in a different thread, as that's comparing an obscure 60's 45 with something from 83 of similar rarity. Bit like comparing rare funk or Sweet soul with Northern.

Correct, probably but again, i was never around back then - it must've just been a Southern thing 😐

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!