Mello Souls - We Can Make It .. Some Infos

Tommaso

Is that a real acetate or a homemade on?.

Yes it's Des that plays it at Solid Hit, it's certainly legit we don't play anything else at SHS :thumbsup:

I thought from conversation with Des that it was a company acetate but I'm sure he will be on here sooner or later to clear that up (my memory isn't the best)

Social source share

Yes it's Des that plays it at Solid Hit, it's certainly legit we don't play anything else at SHS :rolleyes:

I thought from conversation with Des that it was a company acetate but I'm sure he will be on here sooner or later to clear that up (my memory isn't the best)

It's a Dick Charles acetate if memory serves me correctly. Sure Des will confirm one way or the other when he reads this.

Mello Souls also have another release on Candi, One side is Silus Phifer & & the Mellow Fellows and the t'other side is Edwin Johnson and the Mellow Fellows. I'll post some sound files when I've had some tea.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Perhaps Simon (T) can show us his scan of the real one again?

It’ll be on the pressings, just trying to think what to boot on the other side!  :rolleyes:

Seriously though, might there be just too much flak for booting a record that has a ‘status’ such as the MS? Or is nothing ‘untouchable’ in the grimy world of bootlegging on the Northern scene?

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Always reminds me of The Combinations - Watchya Gonna Do. Is there any connection in terms of songwriting or production? The lead singer sounds similar to my ears as well.

Social source share

Always reminds me of The Combinations - Watchya Gonna Do. Is there any connection in terms of songwriting or production? The lead singer sounds similar to my ears as well.

no connection at all. Lead singers sound nothing like each other to these ears :rolleyes:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

come on lets face it .......its not a bootleg really its a dub

its not made for mass financial gain or trying to fool anyone

I guess most of us have it in one format or another

Mines a 10" london studios dub and I play it at home regularly

so not really a boot either

Its just nice to be able to hear it when it takes my fancy..

:P

It'll be on the pressings, just trying to think what to boot on the other side! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, might there be just too much flak for booting a record that has a 'status' such as the MS? Or is nothing 'untouchable' in the grimy world of bootlegging on the Northern scene?

Social source share

the last copy for sale was the one kenny brought of shifty a couple of years ago went for £10.000 then :thumbsup:

If it's the one on the right it's more than two years ago. Pic shot at Fleetwood 2003...

KennyBurrell.jpg

Edited by Roccia
Social source share

classic picture!

Roccia you are a braver man than me, I would of passed out with all that soul either side of my head! cool.gifcool.gif:lol:

Is it really fair of Kenny to that to someone.....? :thumbsup:

made my morning that has...brilliant

ps. Isn't the MS booked in at £8000 in Tims guide?

Also I heard there is no label info on the record? Where is it out of?

Edited by mulf
Social source share

classic picture!

Roccia you are a braver man than me, I would of passed out with all that soul either side of my head! cool.gifcool.gif:thumbup:

Is it really fair of Kenny to that to someone.....? :thumbup:

made my morning that has...brilliant

ps. Isn't the MS booked in at £8000 in Tims guide?

Also I heard there is no label info on the record? Where is it out of?

Mulf, yes in Tim's book the MS (wrote as "Mellow") have an eight grand tag...

Social source share

great pic. the expression on your face says it all, roccia.

should be denounced as a form of torture, the iraqis at abu greiv got off lightly I think.

Macca, Amnesty International is on the case... :lol:

Social source share

Wilmington, Delaware? Home of Chavis, Candi labels.

I think it may be Wilmington, North Carolina. Gareth. The city was at the centre of a big civil rights dispute in early '70s, the largest demonstration following the assassination of Martin Luther King. A local militant Ben Chavis and nine others were arrested and became known as the Wilmington Ten. They were given 282 Years imprisonment. The Chavis label was named after Ben Chavis. Here is an image of Chavis below. Doubt he was in the Mello Souls but they probably did a benefit for him. Chavis is now a figurehead in hip-hop and organised the Million Man March.

post-3917-1191002493_thumb.jpg

post-3917-1191002517_thumb.jpg

Edited by soulfulsaint
Social source share

The label scan that I've seen doesn't have any info on, so how does Philly become the place of origin?

Lord Tim of Todmorden reckons Wilmington, Deleware. Would you bet against him?

On the other hand Stuart's explanation seem equally plausible.

Questions, questions......

Social source share

The label scan that I've seen doesn't have any info on, so how does Philly become the place of origin?

Lord Tim of Todmorden reckons Wilmington, Deleware. Would you bet against him?

On the other hand Stuart's explanation seem equally plausible.

Questions, questions......

I don't know about the mello souls, but the actual Chavis record labels all say Wilmington, Delaware on them.

Social source share

on this scene there are undoubtedly people with vast knowledge, but acquiring rare soul knowledge is rather like studying picasso's guernika, everytime you cast an eye over it you'll find some little detail that had gone unnoticed before. it's like an inexhaustible canvas, there'll always be gaps to fill in. what am I on this morning? must be the coffee...

Social source share

on this scene there are undoubtedly people with vast knowledge, but acquiring rare soul knowledge is rather like studying picasso's guernika, everytime you cast an eye over it you'll find some little detail that had gone unnoticed before. it's like an inexhaustible canvas, there'll always be gaps to fill in. what am I on this morning? must be the coffee...

But that is precisely what keeps it so interesting Macca. It would be boring if everything was catalogued / known etc. There's always something new to know and nobody knows it all, or has all the records.

Regards

Steve

Social source share

There is, and it suggests it out of the Philadelphia area.

I've been told there's detail in the run out to suggest Philly.

I don't know about the mello souls, but the actual Chavis record labels all say Wilmington, Delaware on them.

I'm led to believe one of the copies was found in the Wilmington, Delaware area :unsure:

Social source share

The Chavis and Candi labels predate the political struggle you outline Stuart, by some years. As for the Philly connection it's quite probable that the records were pressed there as it would be the nearest city with the apparatus to do so: it's only about thirty miles away and would be the obvious place to press and distribute (or not in this case!) records by Wilmington groups.

Social source share

The Chavis and Candi labels predate the political struggle you outline Stuart, by some years. As for the Philly connection it's quite probable that the records were pressed there as it would be the nearest city with the apparatus to do so: it's only about thirty miles away and would be the obvious place to press and distribute (or not in this case!) records by Wilmington groups.

..yes by a few years if Chavis is late 60s label and it is deffo Delaware. Apols for a detour Gareth.

Wilmington, Delaware is the Amtrak station before Philadelphia on the New York DC rail route. There is a local Delaware funk musician Gerald Chavis

who is a regular backing musician - its not a common name so maybe his father owned Chavis? No obvious connection with Mello Souls but another lead.

https://www.geraldchavis.com/

Social source share

..yes by a few years if Chavis is late 60s label and it is deffo Delaware. Apols for a detour Gareth.

Wilmington, Delaware is the Amtrak station before Philadelphia on the New York DC rail route. There is a local Delaware funk musician Gerald Chavis

who is a regular backing musician - its not a common name so maybe his father owned Chavis? No obvious connection with Mello Souls but another lead.

Stuart as always a great mine of information.

There may be no obvious connection but I bet you there are currently about 1000 people trying to find out if there is any, he may grow to hate you Stuart! :unsure::lol:

Hope you are well

Jock

PS Make sure that man Cowan doesn't mention Motherwell/Hibs too much if you can!

Social source share

Stuart as always a great mine of information.

There may be no obvious connection but I bet you there are currently about 1000 people trying to find out if there is any, he may grow to hate you Stuart! :unsure::lol:

Hope you are well

Jock

PS Make sure that man Cowan doesn't mention Motherwell/Hibs too much if you can!

Will do Jock. I'll get thru to Edinburgh for a night soon. I still wonder why Luther Ingram was on Hib Records, but that's another post/

Social source share

The Chavis and Candi labels were owned by James Chavis and they are definately from Wilmington, Delaware. Both labels started life in the early 60's with Chavis existing into the 70's according to R&B indies. Both shared the same address 617 4th st. I'll post the Silus Phifer/Edwin Johnson & Mellow Fellows record shortly.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!