Jump to content
  • Sign Up
Guest\

What Killed Wigan Casino?

Northern Soul Yesterdays Guest

 
Posted

In a sentence 'The Monthly Oldies All-Nighters' yes.gif

From 74 went most Saturday nights then late 70's and early 80's my mates and l never went that much on a Saturday but never ever missed an Oldies...Went a couple of times after the previous nights oldies...Very sparse in there..I think the place would have lasted a few more years if it hadn't been for oldies thumbsup.gif What is your view on this??

100% agree - went to the first oldies, never went to another. Thought that the Saturday nighters following an oldies were some of the best....

John

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

In a sentence 'The Monthly Oldies All-Nighters' :g:

From 74 went most Saturday nights then late 70's and early 80's my mates and l never went that much on a Saturday but never ever missed an Oldies...Went a couple of times after the previous nights oldies...Very sparse in there..I think the place would have lasted a few more years if it hadn't been for oldies thumbsup.gif What is your view on this??

You are spot on mate. About 50% of people started going to the oldies only. The saturdays after the oldies were always terrible.

n.b. I wrote that without reading the above post. Sometimes there were less than 400 people in.

Edited by Pete S

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

You are spot on mate. About 50% of people started going to the oldies only. The saturdays after the oldies were always terrible.

n.b. I wrote that without reading the above post. Sometimes there were less than 400 people in.

At least we agree on the oldies all-nighter partthumbup.gif

I seem to rememeber the first one was all motown?

Who's idea was it?

John

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Thought about attending one of the revivals at the shopping mall?

Already done it years ago. Danced on the supermarket car park with the car doors open and the car stereo blasting out....

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Coz we realised it was hard to keep a bird happy with a willy on whizz....something had to give shades.gif

And mine's never been the same since!   rolleyes.gif

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

A different perspective on this.

The scene has always had a hard core of devotees, and there have always been a regular flow of people both coming onto the scene and dropping off; but back in the 70s there was a constant flow of new people attracted to NS on a weekly basis. The evidence of that is the 100,000 + membership of WC when the average attendance was only about one fiftieth of that. Soul was still appealing as a music form / youth culture and northern was it's underground incarnation, and played music that was fast but up to ten years old. It was hip to be part of something that was not on the BBC, and I can still remember looking over the balcony and thinking "this is great" it was so far away from anything that was happening in my town. For a large part of the community until the late 70s the best music to dance to was based on soul music and Motown and so it was not a great jump across to northern soul, allnighters and WC.

By the late 70s disco music became established in it's own right and that effectively 'stole the crown' for the masses when it came to music to dance to. I can remember things like that infuriatinly banal "Ring my bell" being played at every local disco, whereas five years before it would have been a Junior Walker track. With that change, soul became untrendy and the number of new recruits coming onto the scene dried up. That led to the inevitable falling attendances.

I know that the playing of crap records also played a part - a number of us stopped going to WC for that reason (preferring instead authentic 6Ts nights in London), as did the rise of the jazz funk scene, but realistically a weekly event was never going to sustain the type of attendance that it did in the mid 70s, when the music style had moved so far away from what the mainstream considered to be "dance" music.

Edited by Steve G
  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

never went after the fire whistling

Never went during the fire either. Waaaayyy too hot...

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

August & Deneen ph34r.gif

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Wigan Caino 1973-1981.]

WIGAN CASINO 1973-1981..txt

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Guest fastdancer\
Posted

The last time i went to the casino, was 1980, by then it was crap. I Never went to the last one, That was it,when wigan was gone, i thought the scene was over.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Guest MickD\
Posted

hatsoff2.gifsleep3.gifHi I stopped going to the Casino think it was March 78 and the place had really changed over the 5 years I will have a go, the first thing I must say the big issue for me was the love of stimulants and being a night "OWL", (I recently spoke to a consultant Psychiatrist in Addiction and we had a debate about stimulant addiction he spoke the same old rhetoric of it being a CBT issue, well I no through my own usage it is more addictive than Heroin as most stimulant users may abstain from their usage for 3 - 6 months when a opiate user finds this a impossible thing to achieve however if he/she is ready over the Ame period of time 6 months they have become very much in control (I despise the terminology CLEAN0 as it suggest that Drug users are Dirty or unclean and SMACK head Is another term that makes me wanna Pu>>.. lights out) any way this approach led to drug centres not PX Dex-amphetamine the consequence of this negative approach has a big impact on those who like myself suffer from chemical dependency and have to retort to Using Speed, back in 78 the powder used was crap up North Either Speckled or Pink which always was a indicator of Boric acid in its manufacture making more like MDA or MDMA which made into tabs and put a Dove on it created a twisted version of our scene Northern Soul Scene I remember in 75 Buying a couple of Hundred Blues (if you are a lot younger than myself, Drugs on the Soul Scene Mod scene and later Bovver Boys all came from one place and that was a clean Hygienic factory 1 in Notts and the other in Welwyn G C the SK&F factory was situated next to the Shredded Wheat Factory between the 2 companies the other being RIKER they supply a generation of colorful well dressed Bespoke working class with a few Ox-bridge types thrown in right up to 74, With Pills and Capsules, all the Caps had time release doses they are known as spansuals so Dexedrine would be in 5mg Tab but the 10 to 20 mg were in caps of different colors so 10 mg was Brown and clear 20mg was green and clear with SK&F on them, and the big one from there factory was Meathadrin¢Å¾¢ came in 1 gram phial tasted foul but for 5/- you were zooming and Riker made the Duraphat product that were Mose suited to most of us back then as they were Drimanal a chemical that included Amphet & Barbiturate a very addictive Drug) my point is by 78 it had been nearly 4 years that these factory drugs wee produced and in 76/7 the only factory manufactured Amphet was Dexedrine and its cousins some really nasty one Dthedrug)apps for period heavy flow and of course a little Hooter Pal the Benzedrex Nose inhaler brokenapat ripped up a swallowed, and I no theres a lot of you know what I am talking about, However it was due to this non manufactured in favour of Benzos and Ronnie Reg were locked up and we know that they would never sanction drug manufacturer but they had gone and the underworld (the Real one in London) paid our Ox bridge Mods to recruit under Grads to manufacture Sulphate that why from Huntingdon to Royston you could smell Cats Piss? but unfortunately the good stuff only reached the all niter cut to bits and in 76 we had a big bust on the M1 that had a big follow on impact and in 77/8 you had your Punk Rockers using all the speed in the Vortex Roxy and the 100 club? so along with the 9Times out of 10 or Joe 90 it must have been awful pretending that Wigen was like the early days and not comparable to the Cats Torch Wheel I will add all the Mecca's & Top Ranks Tiffanys from Streatham to the Royal to Stevenage Mecca the dot in Cambridge the Legendary California Ballroom In Consta noon Afterable the small pubs and chicken sheds of Bedfordshire Northamptonshire in to Leicestershire you all eat the whole lot sleep3.gif So I am saying it was because it was a youth culture by the time I was 25 the 10 years that were my adolescence would last a life time,and still with Drugsph34r.gif DAVEpost-13241-1264896713722_thumb.jpgKIL

post-13241-12648970431693_thumb.jpg boxing.gifI Do "FULL STOPs" You have A go?

No reference to the music that made the scene so real, the people, the venues and many blockers who just took it in their stride, their ups and downs - you're just hanging on the edges man, from your start to now, wiped out and talking bollocks!

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

I can remember exactly down to almost the month when the baggy brigade became cringingly embarrassingly out of fashion and the whole Wigan Casino thang became a by word for the dated. Northernsoul was not dead, there were loads of us still going and we have spoken on other threads about the second wave of young Soulies.

At that time I and just about every one else where happy to see the monster die as long as it didn't bring us down with it, looking back with rose colored glasses, if you fookers wanted it so badly you should have gone to it and saved it!

People power is the most powerful thing in the world, more powerful than Russ or Wigan's council, you didn't care, you didn't mobilize and you where quite happy with the convenience of the timing so you could do your family, career thing or what ever excuse you have to turn your backs on such fantastic music.

Wigan Casino didn't die, you lot murdered it with your apathy, I get very fookin angry listening to the born again's and the self proclaimed Northernsoul experts howling over their long gone Wigan Casino, if you loved it so much get up to The 100 Club and save some thing that can be saved!

Sorry, I am sad and angry, I do not aim this at any one on this thread so please do not be offended, I am fearful that we may loose a club as important as Wigan Casino it's self, sorry to cross thread.

I am going to post this on both "What Killed Wigan Casino? Well I Know What I Think!" And "The 100 Club one", I hope it's ok with the mods? I think it's relevant.

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

The refusal to accept that records like Carstairs It Really Hurts Me Girl

were now an accepted part of the scene.

The refusal to accept that some of the POP drivel that

Russ was playing was NOT part of the scene.

People turning up in their droves with Sandwiches and falling asleep all

over the place.

Oh and the lack of really good gear, due to the

authorities banning Dexamphetamine based products.

Well thats why I stopped going.

Cheers

Kegsy

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

never went after the fire whistling.gif

Thought local council has ordered place closed in any case, the fire just made that closure more permenant yes.gif

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

You are spot on mate. About 50% of people started going to the oldies only. The saturdays after the oldies were always terrible.

n.b. I wrote that without reading the above post. Sometimes there were less than 400 people in.

I seem to remember towards the end somebody going on a saturday after an oldies all nighter and telling me there were less than 90 people in.

Stu.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

O.k. for what its worth here is my theory.

Wigan Died because we all grew up.

Let me explain.

I did not go to wigan until 1977,even by then i was an old fart compared to most people there at the grand old age of 26.

I have grown up with music all my life,since i was 6 or 7 and influenced by my older brother into Rock And Roll.

I love All types of music,and with that i think i am in the minority.

Most people always say the music and fashions of there youth are the best.

I heard it from my elders in the 60s,when they said you cant beat 50s music,and then again in the 70s.

you cant beat 60s music.

Its life people get older get married have kids,get careers,and leisure has to take a back seat unfortunatly.

then people come back after 20 or so years and say.

whats this crap they are playing thats called Northern Soul.

they dont play records and have niters like they did in my day.

Of course they dont,its a new generation.

And you know what kids are like,they dont want to be associated with the music and fashion that there mum and dad liked.

When you look at music in General,Northern soul is the only type of music besides Rock And Roll that the older generation have tried to keep the music alive.

Yes Wigan was a fantastic place,and holds a lot of great memories for me,but so do a lot of other venues that are no longer with us, like morcambe,Parr Hall Warrington and Top of the world Stafford.

We all just moved on because life got in the way.

and without sounding defeatist,it will happenn to all the other venues,that are going today.

And there will be new venues in the future,playing probably more different types of music under the banner of Northern soul,and people will come on here in 20 years time and say.what happenned to all the great music and venues they played in my day,back in 2010.

Stu.

  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 31/01/2010 at 21:02, Guest Dave Turner said:

 

 

Good post, well put thumbsup.gif

RIP Dave,    

 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
On 31/01/2010 at 00:20, dthedrug said:

hatsoff2.gifsleep3.gifHi I stopped going to the Casino think it was March 78 and the place had really changed over the 5 years I will have a go, the first thing I must say the big issue for me was the love of stimulants and being a night "OWL", (I recently spoke to a consultant Psychiatrist in Addiction and we had a debate about stimulant addiction he spoke the same old rhetoric of it being a CBT issue, well I no through my own usage it is more addictive than Heroin as most stimulant users may abstain from their usage for 3 - 6 months when a opiate user finds this a impossible thing to achieve however if he/she is ready over the Ame period of time 6 months they have become very much in control (I despise the terminology CLEAN0 as it suggest that Drug users are Dirty or unclean and SMACK head Is another term that makes me wanna Pu>>.. lights out) any way this approach led to drug centres not PX Dex-amphetamine the consequence of this negative approach has a big impact on those who like myself suffer from chemical dependency and have to retort to Using Speed, back in 78 the powder used was crap up North Either Speckled or Pink which always was a indicator of Boric acid in its manufacture making more like MDA or MDMA which made into tabs and put a Dove on it created a twisted version of our scene Northern Soul Scene I remember in 75 Buying a couple of Hundred Blues (if you are a lot younger than myself, Drugs on the Soul Scene Mod scene and later Bovver Boys all came from one place and that was a clean Hygienic factory 1 in Notts and the other in Welwyn G C the SK&F factory was situated next to the Shredded Wheat Factory between the 2 companies the other being RIKER they supply a generation of colorful well dressed Bespoke working class with a few Ox-bridge types thrown in right up to 74, With Pills and Capsules, all the Caps had time release doses they are known as spansuals so Dexedrine would be in 5mg Tab but the 10 to 20 mg were in caps of different colors so 10 mg was Brown and clear 20mg was green and clear with SK&F on them, and the big one from there factory was Meathadrin¢Å¾¢ came in 1 gram phial tasted foul but for 5/- you were zooming and Riker made the Duraphat product that were Mose suited to most of us back then as they were Drimanal a chemical that included Amphet & Barbiturate a very addictive Drug) my point is by 78 it had been nearly 4 years that these factory drugs wee produced and in 76/7 the only factory manufactured Amphet was Dexedrine and its cousins some really nasty one Dthedrug)apps for period heavy flow and of course a little Hooter Pal the Benzedrex Nose inhaler brokenapat ripped up a swallowed, and I no theres a lot of you know what I am talking about, However it was due to this non manufactured in favour of Benzos and Ronnie Reg were locked up and we know that they would never sanction drug manufacturer but they had gone and the underworld (the Real one in London) paid our Ox bridge Mods to recruit under Grads to manufacture Sulphate that why from Huntingdon to Royston you could smell Cats Piss? but unfortunately the good stuff only reached the all niter cut to bits and in 76 we had a big bust on the M1 that had a big follow on impact and in 77/8 you had your Punk Rockers using all the speed in the Vortex Roxy and the 100 club? so along with the 9Times out of 10 or Joe 90 it must have been awful pretending that Wigen was like the early days and not comparable to the Cats Torch Wheel I will add all the Mecca's & Top Ranks Tiffanys from Streatham to the Royal to Stevenage Mecca the dot in Cambridge the Legendary California Ballroom In Consta noon Afterable the small pubs and chicken sheds of Bedfordshire Northamptonshire in to Leicestershire you all eat the whole lot sleep3.gif So I am saying it was because it was a youth culture by the time I was 25 the 10 years that were my adolescence would last a life time,and still with Drugsph34r.gif DAVEpost-13241-1264896713722_thumb.jpgKIL

post-13241-12648970431693_thumb.jpg boxing.gifI Do "FULL STOPs" You have A go?

Proof reader on strike again dave?  🤣

I concur most of the above as I was also around at that time. There was Preludin (Prellies) which was top notch gear along with Filon which was actually the same thing. As for what killed Wigan. For me it was marriage and kids and having responsibilities and also the dickheads that were coming down wearing their clown pants and silly bowling shirts. That wasn`t part of the scene at all!

Edited by Steve Lane

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

In his recent book, Richard Searling linked the decline in Saturday attendance to the monthly Oldies All Nighter. Richard also expressed concern about some of the sounds spun by fellow DJ’s...even though he was championing ’Modern Soul’ as it’s now called. The Casino of course had been condemned and earmarked for closure - the protracted period of uncertainty surely deterred potential travellers. Wigan rode the wave, right time, right place, right DJ’s, right sounds...all crazes come to end at some point. Looking back, we had it so good for so long, it’s not worth dwelling on.

  • Up vote 2

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

We grew up and moved on.... I think it's called 'Life'.

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

local council☠️👹

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
On 14/12/2018 at 08:42, IAN STACEY said:

local council☠️👹

........ as well as a can of petrol and a match. 

Edited by Zed1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

It wasn't me. 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Well  two words first begins with R the second  begins with W so you have RW

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
5 minutes ago, speedlimit said:

Well  two words first begins with R the second  begins with W so you have RW

Surely Robbie Williams cannot be to blame ... :huh:

  • Up vote 3

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 31/01/2010 at 00:20, dthedrug said:

hatsoff2.gifsleep3.gifHi I stopped going to the Casino think it was March 78 and the place had really changed over the 5 years I will have a go, the first thing I must say the big issue for me was the love of stimulants and being a night "OWL", (I recently spoke to a consultant Psychiatrist in Addiction and we had a debate about stimulant addiction he spoke the same old rhetoric of it being a CBT issue, well I no through my own usage it is more addictive than Heroin as most stimulant users may abstain from their usage for 3 - 6 months when a opiate user finds this a impossible thing to achieve however if he/she is ready over the Ame period of time 6 months they have become very much in control (I despise the terminology CLEAN0 as it suggest that Drug users are Dirty or unclean and SMACK head Is another term that makes me wanna Pu>>.. lights out) any way this approach led to drug centres not PX Dex-amphetamine the consequence of this negative approach has a big impact on those who like myself suffer from chemical dependency and have to retort to Using Speed, back in 78 the powder used was crap up North Either Speckled or Pink which always was a indicator of Boric acid in its manufacture making more like MDA or MDMA which made into tabs and put a Dove on it created a twisted version of our scene Northern Soul Scene I remember in 75 Buying a couple of Hundred Blues (if you are a lot younger than myself, Drugs on the Soul Scene Mod scene and later Bovver Boys all came from one place and that was a clean Hygienic factory 1 in Notts and the other in Welwyn G C the SK&F factory was situated next to the Shredded Wheat Factory between the 2 companies the other being RIKER they supply a generation of colorful well dressed Bespoke working class with a few Ox-bridge types thrown in right up to 74, With Pills and Capsules, all the Caps had time release doses they are known as spansuals so Dexedrine would be in 5mg Tab but the 10 to 20 mg were in caps of different colors so 10 mg was Brown and clear 20mg was green and clear with SK&F on them, and the big one from there factory was Meathadrin¢Å¾¢ came in 1 gram phial tasted foul but for 5/- you were zooming and Riker made the Duraphat product that were Mose suited to most of us back then as they were Drimanal a chemical that included Amphet & Barbiturate a very addictive Drug) my point is by 78 it had been nearly 4 years that these factory drugs wee produced and in 76/7 the only factory manufactured Amphet was Dexedrine and its cousins some really nasty one Dthedrug)apps for period heavy flow and of course a little Hooter Pal the Benzedrex Nose inhaler brokenapat ripped up a swallowed, and I no theres a lot of you know what I am talking about, However it was due to this non manufactured in favour of Benzos and Ronnie Reg were locked up and we know that they would never sanction drug manufacturer but they had gone and the underworld (the Real one in London) paid our Ox bridge Mods to recruit under Grads to manufacture Sulphate that why from Huntingdon to Royston you could smell Cats Piss? but unfortunately the good stuff only reached the all niter cut to bits and in 76 we had a big bust on the M1 that had a big follow on impact and in 77/8 you had your Punk Rockers using all the speed in the Vortex Roxy and the 100 club? so along with the 9Times out of 10 or Joe 90 it must have been awful pretending that Wigen was like the early days and not comparable to the Cats Torch Wheel I will add all the Mecca's & Top Ranks Tiffanys from Streatham to the Royal to Stevenage Mecca the dot in Cambridge the Legendary California Ballroom In Consta noon Afterable the small pubs and chicken sheds of Bedfordshire Northamptonshire in to Leicestershire you all eat the whole lot sleep3.gif So I am saying it was because it was a youth culture by the time I was 25 the 10 years that were my adolescence would last a life time,and still with Drugsph34r.gif DAVEpost-13241-1264896713722_thumb.jpgKIL

post-13241-12648970431693_thumb.jpg boxing.gifI Do "FULL STOPs" You have A go?

So you went to Wigan then 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Drugs - Pop Music - The Media  - Wearing Wellies to go to the loo (and needing a friend to go with you in case you got rolled) 🙄

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Rave music and the funk scene sucked up a lot of the new crop of kids coming in.

Not just Wigan failed, plenty more did, like cleethorpes and the Mecca.

As Rick suggests having to run the gauntlet of punks and sadly fellow soulies who would like to fight and steal your records was not helping.

Much better to arrive by a bus full than straggle from the train.

Ed

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
29 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

Rave music and the funk scene sucked up a lot of the new crop of kids coming in.

Not just Wigan failed, plenty more did, like cleethorpes and the Mecca.

As Rick suggests having to run the gauntlet of punks and sadly fellow soulies who would like to fight and steal your records was not helping.

Much better to arrive by a bus full than straggle from the train.

Ed

The punks at Wigan were not a factor. The only time I heard of them, they were chased up the lane by the Casino. On any given Saturday night in Wigan, there were hundreds of soulies arriving en masse, some of who were hardened criminals and the toughest guys from the towns they hailed from. Some of the Wigan goers were recent recruits from the football terraces and not averse to a bit of violence. That said, the presence of a Casino full of fit youngsters deterred the few scruff bags who called themselves punks from causing any real aggrevation.

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
4 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

The punks at Wigan were not a factor. The only time I heard of them, they were chased up the lane by the Casino. On any given Saturday night in Wigan, there were hundreds of soulies arriving en masse, some of who were hardened criminals and the toughest guys from the towns they hailed from. Some of the Wigan goers were recent recruits from the football terraces and not averse to a bit of violence. That said, the presence of a Casino full of fit youngsters deterred the few scruff bags who called themselves punks from causing any real aggrevation.

Remember on one occasion about 75 / 76 punks getting chased around the car park over the road only to be smashed with hub caps off a car - so funny then , even more funny now - only iffy area was from the Station up the hill - with the pubs spilling out but never saw anything come to blows , bit of piss taking - from the cinema on the corner to the casino - was the Soul manor too many speed freaks 👍🏻👍🏻

  • Up vote 2

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

The very same person whom started the casino was also responsible for its demise. With ventures into the charts TV crews and a final night that never was 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

It's easy to blame one person, but in reality, if you are going to pin it on commercialisation, Wigan went on many years after the chosen few and ovation sold their wares.

A 23 year old is not the same as a 15 year old in every way imaginable. 

In short, you move on, and there were other musical tastes competing with the concept of Northern Soul.

Nevertheless the nostalgia scene is bigger today than ever Wigan was, just look at the gig guide.

Ed

Edited by Tomangoes
Spello

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, Speedlimit said:

The very same person whom started the casino was also responsible for its demise. With ventures into the charts TV crews and a final night that never was 

A somewhat simplistic analysis I think. The last night saga was more down to the Casino owner trying to make a few more bob before closure. Media interest in the Casino can hardly be pinned on Russ. The TV crews visited during prime time and if anything, boosted interest and attendance.

Many of the reasons behind the  Casino’s demise have been mentioned already. The council’s plans to enforce closure were the final nail in the coffin. Before that,  changes in musical direction lost diehard attenders. Many of us simply aged, grew up and moved on to revel in nostalgia. The dance scene reinvented itself during the 80’s and absorbed some of the younger Wigan crew who were hanging on in there at the end.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

I can see your point guys very true re different musical tastes change  by the time the last night came I'd done my time from 74 it just left a bitter taste. Spent nearly every Saturday night there never attended the oldies night. If people had stuck round towards the end they would have realised that most of the new tunes coming through were the start of the next generation far more soulful than some of the stuff played between 77_78. In a way I was glad we were fooled that last night for many of us  was the start of the dark years and the hundreds of quality tunes that many eventually missed out on. and still refuse to accept today As for the casino it was good while it lasted. Made loads of life long friends from near and afar.  As for the media at the casino it wasn't really needed all it did was make the public more aware of the place and highlight the drug problem. Which I should imagine went down a storm with the local plod. You can imagine police hq. Right guys there's gonna be hundreds more drug taking teenagers heading our way we gotta close this place at any cost. Or something along those lines. Any it came we saw we went. We moved on now days I'd sooner listen to a cheap semi known or unknown sound or even some of the fantastic new releases from the States. Long may the scene thrive which ever path you choose. 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

I have Often wondered over the years how different The Wigan Casino (and the N.S.Scene) would have been like without the Existence of Simon Sousan who had a a great influence over what was being played at Wigan, Mainly those Dreadful tailor made instrumentals which sounded like an old 50's/60's Fairground organ, and some of the vocal / instrumental/ things released on 'Black Magic' which i assume had S.S. connections (correct me if i am wrong ?) I am sure Simon discovered many fine Northern Soul Titles along the way but it makes you wonder how different  History over the years  would have been had he been involved in other ventures away from The Casino (and the Soul Scene) and maybe would have been a better place for it.  

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 13/12/2018 at 21:12, Zed1 said:

We grew up and moved on.... I think it's called 'Life'.

Yes exactly  

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

The same old thing the same old way to often. Remember there was life before and after at many venues that barely get a mention. So let it rest , the music came first and always will. Move on please.

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 31/01/2010 at 00:29, Guest kevnewry said:

 

 

 

FROM 1980 PHIL THE MAIN ROOM WAS SHITE, and M's was packed full. I LOST INTEREST IN JUNE 1981 AND CAME HOME HERE IN 82,THINKING IT WAS ALL OVER FOR GOOD........ TOO MUCH CRAP KILLED WIGAN,AND THE LOCAL COUNCIL DIDNT WANT IT ANYWAY.

 

WIGAN WAS WHAT IT WAS,ANOTHER PIECE IN THE HISTORY OF NORTHERN SOUL. MY TIME YOUR TIME AND A THOUSAND OTHER PEOPLES TIME........ I'LL NEVER FORGET IT.

 

TOO MUCH STELLA TONITEthumbup.gif

 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Paul shirley said:

 

This site is crazy I give up as I just qouated myself saying nothing ffs

 

Edited by Paul shirley

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 31/01/2010 at 00:29, Guest kevnewry said:

 

 

 

FROM 1980 PHIL THE MAIN ROOM WAS SHITE, and M's was packed full. I LOST INTEREST IN JUNE 1981 AND CAME HOME HERE IN 82,THINKING IT WAS ALL OVER FOR GOOD........ TOO MUCH CRAP KILLED WIGAN,AND THE LOCAL COUNCIL DIDNT WANT IT ANYWAY.

 

WIGAN WAS WHAT IT WAS,ANOTHER PIECE IN THE HISTORY OF NORTHERN SOUL. MY TIME YOUR TIME AND A THOUSAND OTHER PEOPLES TIME........ I'LL NEVER FORGET IT.

 

TOO MUCH STELLA TONITEthumbup.gif

 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
48 minutes ago, skiinspain said:

The same old thing the same old way to often. Remember there was life before and after at many venues that barely get a mention. So let it rest , the music came first and always will. Move on please.

The original question was 'What Killed Wigan?'. You'll hear/read lots of stuff blaming Station Rd's demise on Frank Wilson, White Pop Crap, Comedy Trousers,  Russ Winstanley, Margret Thatcher,  Adolf Hitler, and Genghis Khan. You could even blame the fact that it was a little difficult to keep attending a venue when it just a pile of smoking rubble. 

I still see lots of the old crowd from our Casino days and interestingly not one of them blame any of the above, they simply say they grew up and life changed, so they moved on. Which is probably what happened to most Youth type cultures, ie I think that's why they're called 'Youth' cultures.

Now I know there are lot's who have tried to change the scene's history to suit their own agenda's but the truth is a little more mundane. Station Rd was a truly Fantastic place at a truly fantastic time in our lives, I for one will only ever have the fondest of memories of the old place, but I do wish people would stop picking over it's bones looking for something that REALLY isn't there.

 

 

  • Up vote 5

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Shit like this killed the Casino!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202716960007

And the twats who played it!

  • Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

What about the t..ts who danced to it, otherwise it would have soon been dropped.

  • Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

See no evil * Hear no Evil * Speak no Evil * Well that's that Sorted Then, Nurse, Nurse, Fetch me a Bed Pan Please........

Share this source music forum post


soul source url

Northern Soul Yesterdays - Source Forum

Northern soul days gone forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get max use of the forums

Log in now!

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.