Jm Mystery Auction

Pretty sure that at least 2 of those copies have been sold..unless there is an issue of doubles

The mind boggles :g: 

Shifty to Kenny 10 grand- Kenny to mick 12 grand

Kitch to Killick 15 grand

Who knows really?

But it's great to see one in a public auction where we can all see the final result.

i love the record...It's not gonna be me.lol

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest turntableterra

Can you imagine the arguments - given we can't even agree on soul music basics ? ...

It's my turn - no it''s my turn - but you played it last time - no you did - it's not fair ...  :lol::lol:

pmsl....................................................I played it three years ago

Social source share

Shifty to Kenny 10 grand- Kenny to mick 12 grand

Kitch to Killick 15 grand

Who knows really?

But it's great to see one in a public auction where we can all see the final result.

i love the record...It's not gonna be me.lol

Isn't it funny that a lot of people slagged off Kenny when he bought Frank Wilson ALL those years ago, and now, here we are casually talking telephone numbers for quite a few rarities that have been for sale of late - strange how times change - the strange world of northern soul eh?

Personally, the Mello Souls brings back some incredible memories to the days when Butch first played it in the late 80's

A powerful, messy, rare soul record, and for those that just need to have it, and can afford it, then "fill your boots"

But for £15k ( or whatever it goes for), we really all could buy some great (and still rare) records

Good luck to all who are bidding - you only live once, so if you can afford it, and want it, then I say "go for it"

That's just my "pennies worth" or "£15k's worth", depending on who you are!!!

Jim

• Helpful 3
Social source share

That boot came out just after the last copy was discovered - what, 18 months, 2 years back?

n.b I was told that it was a legal reissue after I said it had been recorded off the sound clip recorded by the owner of the record

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Isn't it funny that a lot of people slagged off Kenny when he bought Frank Wilson ALL those years ago, and now, here we are casually talking telephone numbers for quite a few rarities that have been for sale of late - strange how times change - the strange world of northern soul eh?

Jim

Not really Jim. Love Kenny to bits (where is he by the way) and the only criticism I ever heard was that he was only interested in "trophy" records. Frank Wilson was and still is a "trophy" record. 

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

I've decided after much consideration not to finally bid on this record. Phew there I've said it. I'll leave the way clear for all you big boys....

Mello Souls what can you say? Unbelievable isn't strong enough. Mere words can't describe summat like that.

Would love'd to have seen on JM's auction page a blank page; just a scan of the label and a sound clip. No words are needed. No words are necessary.

Have it.

derek

• Helpful 2
Social source share

That boot came out just after the last copy was discovered - what, 18 months, 2 years back?

n.b I was told that it was a legal reissue after I said it had been recorded off the sound clip recorded by the owner of the record

It was a year ago just under......

Social source share

Frank Wilson has been knocked off  its perch a long time. Both of the two Mello Souls that are now in the US and that came from UK sellers were sold for way way more than Frank Wilson. Crazy I know...

Marc, just who of the three who had or has copies have sold theirs to US collectors?

Social source share

Tired out having just read this thread. I'm going for a lie down.

Petre

:rolleyes:

Thankfully I caught up on this "hot thread" whilst laying down. Lazy sundays! 

I was surprised to not see this auction featured on JM's home page at all, it would seem for this "Zenith" of northern soul that he would make it some kind of feature on the main page. I guess by the response here though, nobody seems to have had any trouble finding it  :rofl:

Certainly will be exciting to see what the final figure on this one is. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thankfully I caught up on this "hot thread" whilst laying down. Lazy sundays! 

I was surprised to not see this auction featured on JM's home page at all, it would seem for this "Zenith" of northern soul that he would make it some kind of feature on the main page. I guess by the response here though, nobody seems to have had any trouble finding it  :rofl:

Certainly will be exciting to see what the final figure on this one is. 

It sure will Andreas.

Anyone know who Mark Harrison is? :wicked:

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Seagrave

Out of interest, care to give us a few examples?

There is another thread on this forum about great '£5 originals'. It has dozens of examples of records which are better than the Mello Souls. I would refer you to look at it again.

Yes, 'better' is subjective - that will always be true.

Yes, I have 'turned up' many of those great records listed on that thread, in the USA.

And no, none of the records on that thread are worth anywhere near even a quarter of the market value of the Mello Souls. But that is kind of the point - quality compared to value and/or rarity.

You are quite entitled to believe that the Mello Souls is better than any of the cheaper end northern, if that is what you really think. However, many of us disagree.

Edited by Seagrave
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

And you didn't get it annulled?

You must really love her.

Indeed I do..............

Social source share

There is another thread on this forum about great '£5 originals'. It has dozens of examples of records which are better than the Mello Souls. I would refer you to look at it again.

Yes, 'better' is subjective - that will always be true.

Yes, I have 'turned up' many of those great records listed on that thread, in the USA.

And no, none of the records on that thread are worth anywhere near even a quarter of the market value of the Mello Souls. But that is kind of the point - quality compared to value and/or rarity.

You are quite entitled to believe that the Mello Souls is better than any of the cheaper end northern, if that is what you really think. However, many of us disagree.

I never said there weren't any better cheaper records and yes taste is subjective, it would be boring if we all liked the same things.

Turned up?  I take it records you've simply found that were already known? The way I read it you've discovered better records and I was simply interested to see what better discoveries these were.

Social source share

Guest Seagrave

I never said there weren't any better cheaper records and yes taste is subjective, it would be boring if we all liked the same things.

Turned up?  I take it records you've simply found that were already known? The way I read it you've discovered better records and I was simply interested to see what better discoveries these were.

I do still have a couple of cover-ups, which I think are better, but (obviously!) not going to say what they are.

When I was responding to Tony's post (over two weeks ago now, post 165), I didn't get the impression he was talking about being the original discoverer of a record. Tony refers to when Butch first 'got' it. I thought he meant finding records somewhere where they were not already regarded as, and being sold as, part of the UK northern soul scene.

Sadly (for me!), Messrs Anderson, Manship, Raistrick, Koppel, Levine, Roberts, Soussan et al have nearly always found them first.

Just out of interest (and I might have missed this somewhere on the thread), who originally brought the Mello Souls into the UK? Was it actually Mark Dobson himself, or was it imported by John Anderson or Ian Levine in one of their batches?

Edited by Seagrave
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Just out of interest (and I might have missed this somewhere on the thread), who originally brought the Mello Souls into the UK? Was it actually Mark Dobson himself, or was it imported by John Anderson or Ian Levine in one of their batches?

Butch found it, on a trip with Tim I think.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

"If you are hoping to win this legend, please be aware personal Pick Up or personal door to door delivery will be essential. Ring to discuss methods for safe delivery"

Interesting note on the auction...was it added in the wake of the kind (!) offers already made on here!? That said, my visa status is also good for the UK/Europe/Japan...would be nice to pop home hohoho!

:)

Social source share

Mick says it bis going at the end of the year.  Butch still has his as does Andy Killick as far as I am aware.

Yes, and in England it will stay forever. .... I gave Kitch my word. It may reside with me, but it will always be 'Kitch's Copy'

Social source share

Guest Seagrave

Under 12 hours left. Almost £13k.

Late bidding frenzy or end with a whimper?

Interesting question.

At the moment, only two bids since 15th June - fully two and a half weeks ago.

I am sure there may be a couple of serious potential buyers keeping their powder dry until the last few minutes. That's what normally happens with the big ticket items. With the Frank Wilson the eventual buyer only appeared for the first time with around five minutes to go. 

I think we are beyond the point where the numpties who only intend to be in the lead for a short while - presumably just to show off, or in the futile hope that everyone else's internet connections will fail - would dare risk serious money.

Social source share

Guest Seagrave

On a related note, it always amuses me when somebody puts an early maximum bid in the region of £50 on a mega-item like, say, an   Eddie Parker or Larry Clinton.

Then, we never see them again for the next three weeks.

Come on, seriously guys ... what were you thinking?!?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Seagrave

I was told Butch and Keb got both their copies UK with but not completely sure? :g:

So would that have been from the same source?

And were they both playing them, covered up, during the same period?

Social source share

I do still have a couple of cover-ups, which I think are better, but (obviously!) not going to say what they are.

When I was responding to Tony's post (over two weeks ago now, post 165), I didn't get the impression he was talking about being the original discoverer of a record. Tony refers to when Butch first 'got' it. I thought he meant finding records somewhere where they were not already regarded as, and being sold as, part of the UK northern soul scene.

Sadly (for me!), Messrs Anderson, Manship, Raistrick, Koppel, Levine, Roberts, Soussan et al have nearly always found them first.

I did mean when Butch got/discovered it!

Social source share

Guest Seagrave

I did mean when Butch got/discovered it!

That's fine Tony, I think between Chalky and myself we have covered that now.

If Butch found and imported it, then he discovered it, and fair play to him. Chalky was still not definitive on that point though.

But the original confusion arose because there is a big difference between 'getting' a record (or being the first to play it out), and being the discoverer of a record. I'm not aware of John Anderson 'breaking' the likes of Lester Tipton at an allnighter.

Anyway, today's the day - let's see what it goes for!

Edited by Seagrave
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

If Butch found and imported it, then he discovered it, and fair play to him. Chalky was still not definitive on that point though.

But the original confusion arose because there is a big difference between 'getting' a record (or being the first to play it out), and being the discoverer of a record. I'm not aware of John Anderson 'breaking' the likes of Lester Tipton at an allnighter.

I see what you mean, mate.

As stated Butch found it while in the states with Tim Ash. and started playing it more or less as soon as he got back. Up to 3 times a night initially!

Anyone know Mark Harrison?

Edited by Tony Smith
Social source share

Does anyone know why this is so rare ?

What I mean is, with other really rare records loads of people have done the detective work, so we know the reasons behind a record being rare, and remaining rare. But I don't remember reading anything on the background to this particular rarity.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Hi there I was convinced that Lester Tipton and Al Williams were found and broken by John Poole at the Brit .I also have an interesting story regarding the mello souls a copy was found in Leicester in a box of rock and roll and the story I've been told locally was it was sold to Shifty who sold it on to ( Tim Brown ? or the likes ) found for a fiver and sold for five grand what happened to this copy ? anyone heard this story as well regards S.

Social source share

I see what you mean, mate. As stated Butch found it while in the states with Tim Ash. and started playing it more or less as soon as he got back. Up to 3 times a night initially! Anyone know Mark Harrison?

Sorry for it being clearer and thanks for clearing that up Tony, deffo on a buying trip in the states with Tim.

Keb never had a copy either.

First documented play I can find is from Butch himself. He gave me a playlist of the list of the last night at Stafford in the upstairs room. That would be February 1986.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

.I also have an interesting story regarding the mello souls a copy was found in Leicester in a box of rock and roll and the story I've been told locally was it was sold to Shifty who sold it on to ( Tim Brown ? or the likes ) found for a fiver and sold for five grand what happened to this copy ? anyone heard this story as well regards S.

Who found that then Simon? First I've heard. Shifty's came form the States so I believe.

Social source share

Does anyone know why this is so rare ? What I mean is, with other really rare records loads of people have done the detective work, so we know the reasons behind a record being rare, and remaining rare. But I don't remember reading anything on the background to this particular rarity.

Steve Green spoke to Silus Phifer so he might be able to add a bit. Something might be in the article about Silus's death?

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Hi there chalky you'd have to ask Shifty although it wasn't his copy I think he already had it and sold this one straight on.I was with Tim yesterday and ment to ask him but forgot , I think the guy who found it was greedy mick who found the mac staten  that ended up with Daz Daykin have heard this story a few times over the years .There is one copy in Leiden that came from Philly , John Lawson still has his copy which he bought from a sales box at Leicester odd fellows ( whether the Leicester connection has become mixed up I don't know) Andreas Slivane still has his though regards Simon.

Who found that then Simon? First I've heard. Shifty's came form the States so I believe.

Social source share

First documented play I can find is from Butch himself. He gave me a playlist of the list of the last night at Stafford in the upstairs room. That would be February 1986.

So, it was a Stafford spin...that should add at least another £100 to the value then!

Social source share

"If you are hoping to win this legend, please be aware personal Pick Up or personal door to door delivery will be essential. Ring to discuss methods for safe delivery"

Interesting note on the auction...was it added in the wake of the kind (!) offers already made on here!? That said, my visa status is also good for the UK/Europe/Japan...would be nice to pop home hohoho!

I see the announcement has changed to, "*Winner must arrange pick up or personal door to door delivery."

In that case, 日本在ä½ã®ãƒ¬ã‚³ãƒ¼ãƒ‰ã‚³ãƒ¬ã‚¯ã‚¿ãƒ¼ã«æœ—å ±"¼

è½æœ­ã—ãŸãƒ¬ã‚³ãƒ¼ãƒ‰ã‚’イギリスã¾ã§å–ã‚Šã«è¡Œã£ã¦å·®ã—上ã’ã¾ã™ã€‚

è½æœ­ã«å¥é—˜ã‚’祈る。

自身所有ã®ã‚‚ã®ã¨ä¸¦ã¹ãŸäºŒæžšã®ãƒ„ーショットも差ã—上ã’ã¾ã™ã€‚ãƒãƒãƒ

Ganbatte everyone!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Please note there will be a small additional charge if I'm required to wear a uniform for the delivery :lol:

Uniform wearing cosplay is positively de regueur over here! Am now not sure whether my exclusive offer to my fellow Japanese based collectors will have been trumped by your uniform offer, albeit a paid optional extra!

The flip side is more the bag for the majority of the Tokyo collectors, and am not sure the Kansai boys will go all the way with this one...we'll see in a few hours time...so can't help with your flight ticket plans...Tokyo Narita or Osaka International!?!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Uniform wearing cosplay is positively de regueur over here! Am now not sure whether my exclusive offer to my fellow Japanese based collectors will have been trumped by your uniform offer, albeit a paid optional extra!

The flip side is more the bag for the majority of the Tokyo collectors, and am not sure the Kansai boys will go all the way with this one...we'll see in a few hours time...so can't help with your flight ticket plans...Tokyo Narita or Osaka International!?!

not only Tokyo my friend..its the flipside that gets it vote in 10709 Berlin as well !

Social source share

Oi Flynny, any jobs past Magaluf are mine mate! 

Please note there will be a small additional charge if I'm required to wear a uniform for the delivery :lol:

If I win I won't expect any clothes to be worn at all throughout the whole process. That includes the entire staff of John Manships Records when handling my (potential) property.

Social source share

If I win I won't expect any clothes to be worn at all throughout the whole process. That includes the entire staff of John Manships Records when handling my (potential) property.

The entire staff handling your property.? Ooohh matron.!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!