Poll: Bbc Culture Show - Northern Soul - Your Take ?

Mike

BBC2 Culture Show - Northern Soul  

1. 1. BBC2 Culture - Northern Soul - My rating ...

• five stars
    • four stars
    • three stars
    • two stars
    • one star

" Essentially most types of uptempo dance music since the 60's have generally had a drug of choice whether it was speed in the 60's and 70's, coke and E in the 80's, Ketamin in the 90's or MDMA in the 00's.

So 70's Northern Soul = speed and late 80's House = E. 

The BPM and age group was essentially the same. That's not in any way trying to compare the music but rather the sociological circumstances.

They could have used a lot of other stuff but they chose that which is OK by me. I never took drugs when I was into Northern Soul, but I was in the minority." 

Ian D   :D

I was a football follower in the 70's Ian and never came across non-alcohol drugs of any kind....until Feb 1980...4 days before leaving prison aged 18...and had me first joint! That's a story worth telling in itself...and will do another time!x When me 16th birthday came....it was a Sunday....and me Mam opened me bedroom door and threw a Durex on me bed and said 'now your old enuff make sure you use 'em.....and whatever you get up too don't get involved in drugs!' I was still reeling and cringing under me covers from the Durex comment and didn't quite take in her 2nd comment at the time....but......as a Prostitute all her life....'quality' one...a Lesbian...married 5 times.....and never touching drugs or alcohol that I knew of.....I did take them 2 bits of advice serious!x

By 1992/3...at 32 I was a 'free' man...economically and mentally. I had my responsibilities covered and wondered what to do with life. I had missed out on me youth from '75-80 as I was in kids homes/borstal or prison through those times and under scrutiny each week-end in some way! So nipping off to Wigan wasn't there for me to do! The few times I did a runner was to go to a football match to be with the only mates I had had!x With hindsight......i'm thankful I missed Wigan or the scene in the 70's. I was 'vulnerable'...a lost soul....and I believe I may have found 'something' at Wigan.....and if i'm honest....could well have fu**ed me life up forever............I feel!x To compare what I actually did.....over 2 seasons 76/7/8...I was arrested 35 times at football matches Nationwide.....'a record' of sorts around my way!!!x I wonder what deeds would have replaced that 'anarchic' and reactive response to life....via the Soul Scene back then? 

Drugs can be used or abused. The majority use them wisely....millions have a few pints and are no problem to anyone. Same with having a joint....many doo and are no trouble. However...go beyond those tipples...and indeed lifes's experiences tell me unless you've got a grip on life....they will grip you!x I had that grip in 1992/3....and looked forward to the experience of speed....for 'the craic'! I took 2 script Dexis from me mate.....and had 1 more through the night...3 in total.....and as i've said...Keele...Bobby Goldsboro....is still fresh in my mind as a genuine heartfelt experience.....drug assisted...but not enthused...the music definitely did that for me!x

I had never done Nighters in me life apart from work here and there which kept me up all night....all done unassisted. But I found I couldn't do a nighter.....without some assistance back then!!! I took them to be able to keep up....not for the 'buzz' of the drug as such. The music and scene was my focus...and drugs came 3rd....and everyone will tell you that who offered me bags of this...or pills of that...FOR FREE...as I walked in to venues to DJ Nationwide! I looked after meself...maturely...and did me thing. At 32.....I was able to control that and did. At 16.....i'd have been lost forever.........I reckon....and quite happily too....i'd say! However....my 32 year old personna....would have been sad about that 'loss' to meself...and indeed to those around me.......and yes.....glad I missed the scene at its most 'ravey'....if i'm honest!x

I remember in 92/3 when arriving upon the scene that Speed was the preferred drug of Soulies....'hard core' Nationally still. However...through 94/5 E's began arriving.....white Doves @ £20 each.....and I recall them lasting ALLLLL night.......but....I never ever took one at a doo!!! I DAREN'T! Being a free man and free...I took a couple of these home for me and the then Mrs to try! We farmed the kids out one night and went for it! After that experience....neither of us dare take them outside of our 4 walls....in case we became rabbits running free across a dance floor....!! They were that potent...and effective! I have to be honest and say that those nights we invested in ourselves and relationship monthly/6 weekly were great.....in the beginning! But....by 1998....I was arriving at A/Ns to DJ and the same folk who were taking 1 or 2 for the night....were now taking 6-8....to have the same 'buzz'! We never used them for such purposes...and our Marriage was over and so those nights dwindled as we prevaricated in dealing with a required divorce for another couple of years. So that was my 'drug' experience whilst busy on the Soul scene. Haven't took anything since 2000 beyond smoke Mary J as a chill out when I feel like it in my own company and privacy. 

I had an overactive thyroid when making the 'Togetherness' film in 2003....and was taking pills to calm me down before me operation to sort it! If I stopped taking them.....I went hyper...! I didn't take them that day....made it to Stoke...and coasted through the night au natural!! In essence...I was probably the only one in the room who stopped taking a drug to get high...observe the masses and do the opposite literally...!!hehe!x I know drugs are synonymous in the scene for the reasons you put forth....and has gone hand in hand with dancers as far back as the 20's....when coke was the preferred choice of the Gentry back then when dancing....a legacy left by the Victorians....! My experience with them during the 90's was a positive one....and I couldn't condemn or complain and certainly can't object to their use....when done maturely and with sense.

I think the show reflected the drug aspect fairly...from my perspective. It was...and has been part of the scene....but  I would be the first to say it's not what it's about these days......and that point perhaps wasn't made in the show. It was a show reflective of the past tho'....and from that angle...they were perhaps bang on from my research and knowledge gathered...X

LUV
SOOTY
X

...I quit the worst drug on the dance scenes in this Country aged 18 in 1980....alcohol...and never needed a sip since!x Proud of that...X

@@
~

Edited by SOOTY
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

The other thing I don't understand is this. Why do the young souls feel the need to wear the old mid seventies fashions? Are they just copying their parents? Or do they feel they need a uniform to show that "we are into northern"?

Asked one of the young guns why he was wearing them daft clothes & his answer was "because no one my age wears them & it makes me different"..........nuff said for me,that's why we wore them wasn't it?

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Asked one of the young guns why he was wearing them daft clothes & his answer was "because no one my age wears them & it makes me different"..........nuff said for me,that's why we wore them wasn't it?

Cheers

Martyn

No if we'd have worn straight legs at a time when the rest of the world was wearing baggies, then we'd have been different.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Went into work Thursday waiting to be bombarded with questions, criticisms, praise for the previous nights show - There was lots of talk about the previous nights telly................................Eastenders. Unfortunately when the original "Wigan" programme was aired back in the mid 70's, there was F*** all else on the telly, 3 channels, very few video recorders & it was on at 7.30pm peak time, if I remember rightly. If this programme had been on between "X Faxtor" & "Strictly" and presented by Dale Winton, then we may have been fighting to get into venues this weekend, but as it was billed as "Culture" and put on at 10pm on BBC 2, not much chance of there being electricity supply problems. Personally I enjoyed it, should have been an hour, and liked Paul Mason as a presenter. Floored by the Kung Fu statement..................really?? Each to their own, as far as the "outfits" are concerned, but that isn't a representation of me - I much prefer the "sack of sh*t" look

Des

it never got aired till 11-20pm up here in jock land...so I think about 6 people seen it,lol.

Social source share

No if we'd have worn straight legs at a time when the rest of the world was wearing baggies, then we'd have been different.

I have said a million times that by and large baggies were the current fashion of the day, can't but an exact date on it, but 76/77 a lot of the Manchester lads went back to straight legs levis, loafers and fred perrys, very retro  :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have said a million times that by and large baggies were the current fashion of the day, can't but an exact date on it, but 76/77 a lot of the Manchester lads went back to straight legs levis, loafers and fred perrys, very retro  :)

The original "Perry" boys  :)

Social source share

So where were they at Wigan then?  There was practically nobody dressed like that there in 76, 77 or 78.  79 onwards maybe.

Social source share

I have said a million times that by and large baggies were the current fashion of the day

That's exactly my thoughts on the matter too.

Tank tops, baggies etc. were imported onto the northern scene because they were

the fashion of the masses at the time, and once the masses discovered Wigan they

brought their mode of dress with them.

You only have to look at Bay City Rollers or Noddy Holder videos to see it for yourself, don't

try and tell me they copied the fashions of the northern scene.

prior to the populist influx the fashion went from Mod through to Sudehead.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

You know I wonder about this drugs thing, it's being over played. Yep know a lot of people did, but equally a lot of people didn't.....

Though I'm a pup (being only 49) and never made it to the temple of doom, in my own experience an awful lot of people did take gear, a FEW didn't - (I can number the people I know who didn't touch pills/powder in the low tens) - however certainly in the book it's overplayed, though I firmly believe without gear the scene simply would not have existed - at least for me they were/are only ever a means to an end though - ie facilitating greater enjoyment of the night unincombered by the need to sleep- have never taken them when not going out.

Have to say that I thought the programme was head and shoulders the best on Northern that I've seen - though we can all see the holes in it.

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Pete

Once baggies became mainstream they were dropped by most,baggies were different in there day.That's why for a brief time I wore them but once main street shops started getting them in it was time to move on.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Though I'm a pup (being only 49) and never made it to the temple of doom, in my own experience an awful lot of people did, a FEW didn't - most of them for prudish reasons (I can number he people I know who didn't touch em in the low tens) - however certainly in the book it's overplayed, though I firmly believe without gear the scene simply would not have existed - at least for me they were/are only ever a means to an end - ie facilitating greater enjoyment of the night.

Have to say that I thought the programme was head and shoulders the best on Northern that I've seen - though we can all see the holes in it.

Dx

Same as that, but unfortunately, like a lot of things, some took it too far

Social source share

Cheers

Martyn

No not really, everyone wore bags in the 70s,

Too true, trendies on the town also wore long leathers too. Polyveldts were worn by most of us at school in black, brown and a yellowish cream. Solatios also worn in the playground a few years before. It was the fashion at the time.

Social source share

3 or 4 of us, yeah.

I wasn't there after 78

Sorry I thought you meant hordes of them, yes of course pockets of smartly dressed people were around, I apologise.  I remember a guy who never danced, always stood at the back looking at the dancefloor, smoking a pipe...anyone recall him?

Social source share

Sorry I thought you meant hordes of them, yes of course pockets of smartly dressed people were around, I apologise.  I remember a guy who never danced, always stood at the back looking at the dancefloor, smoking a pipe...anyone recall him?

Not sure if this is the same guy, but later there was always a guy at the nighters I went to, he had a bald head, wore a head band, took a huge tape recorder and smoked a pipe - I thought he was cool btw.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Sorry, while I fully respect your opinion you've missed my point completely, or perhaps I didn't make it clearly enough in the first place!

I'm merely saying that the whole 70's Northern Soul thing held no interest for me at all, and doesn't now either, to be honest. I had friends at that time who regularly travelled to Wigan, Yate etc, but it simply wasn't for me. I did, however, love the whole energy and rebellion associated with the punk thing and while that initially encompassed many of the '76 - '78 bands, it eventually focused in on The Jam, especially.

This in turn lead to an interest in the mod movement, which pretty soon became much more important to me and pointed directly to the soul and R&B music associated with that original era, which in turn has also lead me into collecting and enjoying rare records from the late fifties to late sixties. 

I can assure you that I'm most certainly not holding Weller up as any kind of soul guru at all, and I can fully believe that your mother probably does know more about it that he does as I have two older sisters who are both now in their mid/late sixties and were original mods, who always reckoned he was a bit of a twat really!

I'm merely pointing out that for me (and plenty of others from this time, I should add) this band proved to be a catalyst for my interest in soul and R&B via the whole mod ethos which has stayed with me to this day.

Very well put Chippy, cant argue with that mate.

I realise we all arrive at where we are through very different routes.

Just wanted to vent my opinion on the subject and used your post as a platform, maybe I shouldnt have.

Like I say, wasnt actually having a pop at you personally, you are fully entitled to your opinions of course.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A couple of points. I don't think anyone was getting at the couple featured in the program. They are obviously very nice people and love the music and the scene. I think most of the negative comments were because the program makers portrayed them as the norm on national television. Thereby giving the wrong impression to the non soul loving masses.

The other thing I don't understand is this. Why do the young souls feel the need to wear the old mid seventies fashions? Are they just copying their parents? Or do they feel they need a uniform to show that "we are into northern"?

On a personal level, back in the seventies, me and my mates were very much fashion victims. We would never have been seen dead in the baggies once they had gone out. I would rather have seen the youngsters wearing today's fashions myself.

Good post Phil, and the above is a good point, I suppose its the same as Mods, Skins, Goths, Punks nowadays.  I watched it and thoroughly enjoyed it, thought t could have been on a bit longer.  Hats off to everyone on the programme especially the young uns. I wonder if they read soulsource and look at each other in dismay sometimes.

Social source share

Soul music is like a virus that we were all injected with at the beginning of our teens. It may lie dormant for a while, but it's still there, and will reappear at some point in everyone's life. It never leaves you, and that is what I saw on TV, a guy discovering that the joy of listening to, and dancing to Soul music never goes away.

Great comment Dave...a future classic.

Social source share

Didn't watch it 'live' for fear of having to curl up in a ball [again] but caught it on here last night - thanks for posting it up! (Searling was eloquent as ever, enjoyed that extended clip of him being interviewed).

Thought it was ok on the whole; good in parts with the odd :ohmy: moment but then that's a pretty fair reflection of a night out these days.

Pretty much everything has been said I think so won't add much other than ... They say there's no such thing as bad advertising don't they? My only regret is that the things the programme 'advertised', in the main, weren't really the bits that need advertising IMHO. That said, you've gotta start somewhere and if one or two have a look as a result I can't see that being a bad thing. (Thought it captured the 'feeling' bit pretty well which is never easy is it).

Question is, how many would really get with it and stay with it beyond the social / nostalgia thing? That's the enduring problem for the bit of the 'scene' I like to think I'm part of and which, in my opinion, was never and has never really been represented via the media much at all beyond the Tony's / 100 Club clips of yore which, in Blackburn's case, presented it in a somewhat gloomy, parochial light. Anyway, as I say, you gotta start somewhere ... gloomy and parochial is something to aspire to, naturally; those young uns'll get there in the end if they stick with it  :lol:

Overall, it was both better and worse than it couldv'e been IMHO (if that makes sense). 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

ARGHHHHH...I forgot....as an addendum and after thought to the above comments....I have taken drugs since 2000....I call it MDF...but mda or summink? I went with my partner to the V festival as a 'punter' for a change instead of business a few years back! Time out....and this was the result of that experience.....!

v1.jpg

..I ended up directing folk in me Community Service jacket that I was given by staff when completing me 300 hours as a token of their appreciation for my input....I jest not!x Not 1 person questioned my 'authority' as I guided them to their spot...all on heavier sh*t than me obviously....hehe!x

Daren't do that 'out' anymore either.....but happy with that experience...!!x Had best seats in the house......left a space for us init!!!hehe!x

@@
~

LUV

SOOTY
X

Social source share

Everyone I knew at Wigan/Mecca/Ritz took gear.

We wore parallels mostly when the mainstream were wearing flares, then we wore the bags first and they came in the mainstream after us....only they wore big f*ck off platforms whereas we wore flat leather soles....don't remember seeing solatios til late 76/77?

Straight legs came in after the new wave, 77/78 and the Mecca lot were the first to wear them.

The martial arts was only done by....erm....martial artists and was deffo not the source of the dance style.....which has never been surpassed.

The Rave scene of the late 80's early 90's was like the soul scene of the mid-seventies without the b*llox and with better drugs. 

Edited by back street blue
Social source share

My recollection: 30-32" bags popular first, then later those Spencer 48" things. I got a pair c.77 loads of pockets, flaps etc.... and loads wore them at the time. But by 1980 they'd largely gone from Wigan. Striped shirts, straight / pegs, ordinary jeans etc....even trainers on the dancefloor!

There must have been more than 3 of us more interested in records than gear surely?

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

My recollection: 30-32" bags popular first, then later those Spencer 48" things. I got a pair c.77 loads of pockets, flaps etc.... and loads wore them at the time. But by 1980 they'd largely gone from Wigan. Striped shirts, straight / pegs, ordinary jeans etc....even trainers on the dancefloor!

There must have been more than 3 of us more interested in records than gear surely?

You're right Steve, the Spencers I think first showed up in 78, they made our 30" bags look like drainpipes.  The Mod revival did a lot to wipe out baggies, after that everyone started wearing Mod style retro clothes or what became to be known as casual gear, with some adopting a sportsgear kind of look complete with tennis type headbands!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

You know I wonder about this drugs thing, it's being over played. Yep know a lot of people did, but equally a lot of people didn't.....

Are you saying they could/should make a documentary and totally ignore the drug angle ?.

The scene and gear went hand in glove in those days.

Quick quiz for, why did all these nighters close down :?

The Wheel

Metro Wakefield

L'Ambassador Bradford

Up The Junction

The Torch

I could go on

The scene was supplied by gear which was usually burgled from chemists so nighters

came with visible associated criminal activity.

Wigan did not suffer the same fate because in the mid 70's the authorities banned

amphetamines so there were none in chemist shops. so there was no point burgling them.

Therefore the visible crime element went away and the police were not to bothered

anymore. The squad used to quite happy about the nighters, but they

really got out of their prams if chemists were done on there patch.

Quote "Kegsy I don't care how many chemists you do or how much gear you take, just don't do chemists on my patch",

Derek Hand Halifax Drugs Squad circa 1973.

Kinnel they will be making a film about the scene that does not say owt about the music next !!!!!!!!

Kegsy

• Helpful 3
Social source share

You're right Steve, the Spencers I think first showed up in 78, they made our 30" bags look like drainpipes.  The Mod revival did a lot to wipe out baggies, after that everyone started wearing Mod style retro clothes or what became to be known as casual gear, with some adopting a sportsgear kind of look complete with tennis type headbands!

This is why mods don't get so much stick for still wearing period dress, as they are sharp sixties suits that still look cool. 70's bags though these days? Killer 70's fashion as opposed to cool sixties..

There's another thread in this, mods responsible (to a large part) for NS snobbery & elitism..  :g:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Back Street Blues sez...."don't remember seeing solatios til late 76/77?"

Bang on BSB...!x I remember my mate Alan Warboys had a shiny pair as I arrived in Cambridge! Never seen the like and wanted a pair! However....me Mam always hit the shops when the old fashion went cheap...so  wore bags when drainpipes were in and flowery shirts when stripes where in....and never got round to owning a pair of Slatios!x Proper gear back then and i'm sure they woulda done the job on any dance floor!x Luvly memory BSB...thanks!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Question is, how many would really get with it and stay with it beyond the social / nostalgia thing? That's the enduring problem for the bit of the 'scene' I like to think I'm part of and which, in my opinion, was never and has never really been represented via the media much at all beyond the Tony's / 100 Club clips of yore which, in Blackburn's case, presented it in a somewhat gloomy, parochial light. Anyway, as I say, you gotta start somewhere ... gloomy and parochial is something to aspire to, naturally; those young uns'll get there in the end if they stick with it  :lol:

Overall, it was both better and worse than it couldv'e been IMHO (if that makes sense). 

And its a good question Phil, that's been around since "This England"

Thing is you don't get into it.

IT gets into you...

I have said before that I walked into The Pendulum as a young soul fan ( from hearing Motown and Club soul) and was completely blown apart by what I was hearing.. next mission.. hear more  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I seem to remember Spencer's setting up shop at the Casino, must have been late 70's.  As well as 40" bags, they did pegs and some MC Hammer type kecks with pleats all the way round.

I know when I stopped going they did not have that outlet upstairs so they must have started it after August 78, the ads in Black Echoes will probably reveal everything

Social source share

According to Elaine viewing figures were estimated at 1m. That's the highest figure in the series, and for todays TV and BBC2 not too shabby at all.

That's amazing. Effectively one sixtieth of the UK population watched that show. I thought the figures would be good because there was a nice feel about the program but that's a phenomenal figure for the Culture Show. They could make a series out of the amount of footage they have!

Ian D  :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I don't agree with this. The only similarity was loads of kids dancing their tits off to uptempo 'music' while up on drugs. The music was utter shite car alarm bleep nonsense that only became listenable if you were off yer tits. The dancing was drug addled hand movements and wiggles to a repetitive noise, nobody watched and admired other dancers for their skills. Most raves were extremely sinister, gangland run, drug selling, massive profiteering rackets for gangsters and wealthy yuppies. I don't think even the big oldies fests on the soul scene are anything like that. :lol:

Not saying they were alike musically other than in tempo.

They were alike from the average end-user's perspective.

All drug scenes are sinister......Wigan could be very f&cking sinister.

Edited by back street blue
Social source share

I don't agree with this. The only similarity was loads of kids dancing their tits off to uptempo 'music' while up on drugs. The music was utter shite car alarm bleep nonsense that only became listenable if you were off yer tits. The dancing was drug addled hand movements and wiggles to a repetitive noise, nobody watched and admired other dancers for their skills. Most raves were extremely sinister, gangland run, drug selling, massive profiteering rackets for gangsters and wealthy yuppies. I don't think even the big oldies fests on the soul scene are anything like that. :lol:

put simply your talking bollox, you were either not on that scene or simply going to the wrong venues.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Not saying they were alike musically other than in tempo.

They were alike from the average end-user's perspective.

All drug scenes are sinister......Wigan could be very f&cking sinister.

Yes I know Wigan could be sinister but I don't think it was to the the same extent as the rave venues, which were always out in the middle of nowhere in a field totally controlled by the organisers' security/drug suppliers, where everyone was off their heads like like zombiefied bambis, vulnerable to all sorts of shit. A lot of seriously heavy geezers were running most of the raves and the wealthy yuppies who were also organising raves were having to get in bed with them in order to put anything on for the posh ravers. Quite a few yachts in Marbella came from rave proceedings.

Social source share

This is why mods don't get so much stick for still wearing period dress, as they are sharp sixties suits that still look cool. 70's bags though these days? Killer 70's fashion as opposed to cool sixties..

There's another thread in this, mods responsible (to a large part) for NS snobbery & elitism..  :g:

Maybe because on the mod scene, music/dancing comes second to looking cool where as on the Northern scene the clothes, vest, baggy trousers etc are more about trying to stay cool and not being hindered by tight clothes if you do the acrobatics.  When I'm sweating my bollox off in jeans I sometimes wish I was wearing a pair of cotton bags tbh. I also think there's an illusion of better footwork with 30 ins of cotton flapping around ones ankles, ditto the women  'shuffle' spinning wearing a circle skirt. 

Just my opinion and observation, not having a pop at anyone.  :)

Edited by Maark
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

put simply your talking bollox, you were either not on that scene or simply going to the wrong venues.

I think the term rave scene doesn't help as there was a multitude of genres and events under that banner. Even venues like Shelly's in Stoke we're completely different on different nights ( your old haunt mate) but still fell under the medias catch all banner: Friday was a more mellow, garage or real house affair with little car alarm stuff, compared to Saturday where hardcore was played.

Unless you scratched below the surface or was on one of the many 'rave' scenes outsiders probably wouldn't know this.

Social source share

have to agree with geeselad the dance scene was and still is very much like the northern scene ..maybe you dont like the music and the dancing isnt as good but even if you dont include the drugs...workin all week to dance all weekend?...most if not all of your friends are into that scene? gettin excited about the new tune or the best djs ?  travelling to events not just in you home town clubs? ..all sounds a bit familiar to me!

and most of those into it dont have to be off their heads to like the music.like us they listen to it all week...trust me bristol was and still is into it MASSIVE :wicked:

dean

• Helpful 1
Social source share