In A Bad Place

Tezza

Really feel like I am in a state of flux at the moment.

This weekend we had our little soirée at The Hollingwood Hotel which went extremely well, better actually than I expected what with Stoke being on as well. My Hour behind the decks was warmly received by the assembled masses and the feedback was excellent.

Background stuff — Out most weekends to various places and hear a lot of the regular stuff, they are popular with the DJ’s and the crowds, you can tell as the floor is always busy. (Hate the phrases ‘Easy stuff, Top 500 etc and all the other). Who am I to disagree?

I tend to steer away from that kind of stuff and play a bit, although not ‘Rare’ it is left somewhat on the back shelf.  This weekend I played 2 or 3 that I absolutely adore and thought that people would love to hear but got a rather lax response.  It made me think that perhaps I am out of touch with all this and would probably be better just hanging up the proverbial spurs and sitting back in my arm chair and listen to my IPod.

This is not me wanting someone to come along and give me praise or bolster my bruised ego with a hearty pat on the back etc.  Yesterday afternoon, in an hour or 2 of reflection I considered putting my records up on E-Bay or Soul Source and washing my hands of it.  I see why DT did this last year and it is becoming increasingly difficult to feel the motivation. It hurts inside but is it, as a lot of younger people say, time to let go the past and move on. Been doing this shit for 40+ years and never really felt this way. I am busier than I have ever been DJing wise so on the crest of a wave but still feel the need to wear a life jacket.  

Is this just me or are others feeling it too?

By the way — don’t want snide little comments or people telling me I should try this venue or that venue.  Have you been through this and come out the other side or just thrown in the towel?

Social source share

know what you are saying mate and that's why I am starting to sell a lot of my records, it seems that at a lot of venues the people want to hear nothing but oldies and to play something they don't know just switches them off, however great the 45 you are playing may be. keep doing what you are doing if you enjoy it, for me well I think its a bout time to hang up the styluses and move on

Grant

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It doesn't matter how brilliant a record is there are very few situations where somebody will dance to a record they don't know. Usually the best you can do is to get them on your side by playing stuff you know will go down well then try and slip one in and hope it only half empties the floor. Then if it got a reasonable response stick wiith it and don't chop and change too much. It often takes up to 10 plays even at home to really get into a record (and it's much easier to get into your own records rather than someone else's) so we're talking in terms of years playing out rather than months I'm afraid. there are plenty of exceptions but I think a lot of DJs would agree with this scenario nowadays.

The best way to speed things up is what Keb did with his band of followers at Stafford and give them tapes of his new stuff to play at home so that when they were played first time at a nighter they were ready to rush to the floor-plus that scene had the crusading aspect to it. I think if you might need to cut back your expectations a bit, I have in recent years.

I understand what you are saying Ady.  I wasn't breaking in anything new as such, I was playing old stuff that I recall from my youth.  Perhaps back in the day I was the 'only one' who liked it and I didn't see it !! It wasn't just about that night though, I'm not so fickle as to throw in the towel over 1 or 2 bad record choices.  It just made me think that perhaps I am a dinosaur and I should step aside for the bigger boys.

It is really difficult to put into words the way I felt yesterday but it just came over me in a hour or 2 of solitude. And Spurs were losing badly to West Ham so maybe I was on a downer Ha ha !!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Tezza, I'm sure your efforts were appreciated by the right people.  Stick to your principles.  I tend to be one of those who head for the dance floor when the masses are leaving it.  Just hearing one or two great sounds that I haven't heard for years can make the night for me.  So keep on doing what you're doing, and don't even contemplate selling your collection, because you'll be a long time regretting it.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

no matter what age we are we can all lack confidence in our abilities if something doesnt exactly go to plan,playing soul music that you believe in is harder than you think,played out oldies is the easy way outand i think thats great advice from Ady,stick with it tezza, if you sell your stuff i know youll regret it it.dont forget you brought these sounds for yourself not anybody else and if peope like them as much as you bonus,maybe the bulk of the crowd are new and are expecting more obvious stuff,i like to educate while im djing and hope people agree with my choice,believe. basic keep the faith,its a journey not a race. RODDERS

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I understand what you are saying Ady.  I wasn't breaking in anything new as such, I was playing old stuff that I recall from my youth.  Perhaps back in the day I was the 'only one' who liked it and I didn't see it !! It wasn't just about that night though, I'm not so fickle as to throw in the towel over 1 or 2 bad record choices.  It just made me think that perhaps I am a dinosaur and I should step aside for the bigger boys.

It is really difficult to put into words the way I felt yesterday but it just came over me in a hour or 2 of solitude. And Spurs were losing badly to West Ham so maybe I was on a downer Ha ha !!

The reactivating little-known oldies ploy can easily backfire. I've played a few gems from the past that I thought would ram the floor and have people slapping my back saying "great choice mate" only to have the tumble weed blow across. I think by the sound of it you need 6 months off, you might enjoy your own dances more and revitalise you for a comeback or realise it's more fun going with the flow than trying to influence it.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Ady - i like the idea of giving out cd's of your plays/set,(apart from some who would see it as prostitution.!!).

Back to Tezza though.Been there,done it Terry. :yes: .Dont worry,no-one's right,no-one's wrong.I was at a venue recently,one that i love,got behind the decks for a warm up,and everything melted away before my eyesincluding my enthusiasm,and to an extent the dancers.Came off the decks deflated.So,had a reality check.

Edited by KevH
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Got the t-shirt, no matter how much you try to convince yourself otherwise, an empty dance floor when you're behind the decks does not feel good.

When we ran the Attic the guest spot finished at 11.30 and I can remember doing the last spot a few times and sometimes people would  start leaving soon after. I'd spent a lot of time, effort &  money getting together a spot ( nowhere near as good as the guests we had but still records I thought were worthy of a play ) and it was deflating.

Actually most of the time the last hour was pretty good and we had people dancing but I can still remember seeing people walking out after the guest had finished and thinking WTF? I've got some records here to play that I've spent a lot of money & time on!  :huh:  :(

Dont DJ really now but if I did I'd rather it be in a situation where people are just listening rather than a traditional style venue where you're trying to get people to dance and create an atmosphere 

DJing isn't easy but worse things happen at sea

• Helpful 1
Social source share

What were the records out of interest? :-)

It's like another guy on this thread said, some people who go to some nights aren't that bothered about the music-it's mainly a social thing. They just like hearing the records they know and anything else is out of their comfort zone. I remember a comedy sketch(forget the show now) where Ralph McTell was playing a gig and he did Streets of London, everybody in the audience cheers. Then he says "here's one from my latest album" and the crowd goes silent so he has to play Streets of London again... :) 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest scottie

Really feel like I am in a state of flux at the moment.

This weekend we had our little soirée at The Hollingwood Hotel which went extremely well, better actually than I expected what with Stoke being on as well. My Hour behind the decks was warmly received by the assembled masses and the feedback was excellent.

Background stuff — Out most weekends to various places and hear a lot of the regular stuff, they are popular with the DJ’s and the crowds, you can tell as the floor is always busy. (Hate the phrases ‘Easy stuff, Top 500 etc and all the other). Who am I to disagree?

I tend to steer away from that kind of stuff and play a bit, although not ‘Rare’ it is left somewhat on the back shelf.  This weekend I played 2 or 3 that I absolutely adore and thought that people would love to hear but got a rather lax response.  It made me think that perhaps I am out of touch with all this and would probably be better just hanging up the proverbial spurs and sitting back in my arm chair and listen to my IPod.

This is not me wanting someone to come along and give me praise or bolster my bruised ego with a hearty pat on the back etc.  Yesterday afternoon, in an hour or 2 of reflection I considered putting my records up on E-Bay or Soul Source and washing my hands of it.  I see why DT did this last year and it is becoming increasingly difficult to feel the motivation. It hurts inside but is it, as a lot of younger people say, time to let go the past and move on. Been doing this shit for 40+ years and never really felt this way. I am busier than I have ever been DJing wise so on the crest of a wave but still feel the need to wear a life jacket.  

Is this just me or are others feeling it too?

By the way — don’t want snide little comments or people telling me I should try this venue or that venue.  Have you been through this and come out the other side or just thrown in the towel?

dont act in haste tezza  and sell your vinyl pal

Edited by scottie
Social source share

I,m afraid the answers simple really, If your privaliged to be asked to dj at a venue then your there to do a job, that said the promoter should know why he,s asking you and you should have a feel for what the crowd expect, if you cant deliver that then you should decline however there are masses out there that want underplayed quality soul and i always thought that was the hole point of having a dj rosta so you got a different flavour from each one, I remember the first time i heard Roger Banks play a r&b set it wasnt in vouge and was certainley a different vibe than i was use to, years on & i love some of that r&b, Ive stood many a time with an almost empty floor to a fantastic record, it,s all about conviction in your choices, there is no rare or underplayed argument its either good or bad music and we all have a different opinion of what that is, thats what makes it so special, so my advice would just keep doing what your doing because theres a minority out there that needs guys like you dropping the odd one in to keep it fresh , Without stating the obvious there are also some fantastic venues with like minded people but unfortunatley the are normaly not attended as well, and never will be the scene has changed from that drug fueled dance scene we once new to an alcohol filled social scene that just happens to play music we love.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

hi tezza thought you would be used to spurs being 2-0 down by now  :wicked: , if your not enjoying it take a break till you get your mojo back all the best john  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

hi there Tezza I wouldn't worry too much about 3 or 4 records at 2.50 minutes each that's around 10 minutes of your life mate , no one did anything or said anything aggressive about it did they ? well then you may have had a few people wondering what the records were and even liked them. life's too short to worry about ten minutes mate.Please don't sell your records over ten minutes how many hours of pleasure have they and will they give you ?. Most people on the northern soul scene don't have any records . If your feeling a bit frustrated do what I've done find a small room that's free have an alternative night where you can play what you want with a few like minded mates once a month ,ours is an r-n-b reggae and jazz night we get about 30-40 in and charge a couple of quid to cover costs. then when your at the oldies type nights play an hour of oldies and current spins if any one asks for something off the cuff and you've got just say " here's a request " and away you go. You sell your records mate you will regret it ask anyone that has. Keep playing your oldies for the crowd and go a little underground once a month but don't sell your records because of ten minutes best regards Simon.

Social source share

hi there Tezza I wouldn't worry too much about 3 or 4 records at 2.50 minutes each that's around 10 minutes of your life mate , no one did anything or said anything aggressive about it did they ? well then you may have had a few people wondering what the records were and even liked them. life's too short to worry about ten minutes mate.Please don't sell your records over ten minutes how many hours of pleasure have they and will they give you ?. Most people on the northern soul scene don't have any records . If your feeling a bit frustrated do what I've done find a small room that's free have an alternative night where you can play what you want with a few like minded mates once a month ,ours is an r-n-b reggae and jazz night we get about 30-40 in and charge a couple of quid to cover costs. then when your at the oldies type nights play an hour of oldies and current spins if any one asks for something off the cuff and you've got just say " here's a request " and away you go. You sell your records mate you will regret it ask anyone that has. Keep playing your oldies for the crowd and go a little underground once a month but don't sell your records because of ten minutes best regards Simon.

Hi Sharmo,

It wasn't really down to those 2 or 3 tunes they were just the catalyst that set my mind swirling a little.  I had an overall feeling of disillusionment and questioned myself and my position in the scene.  I have had a few long chats with friends that have put my head back right but it was a strange few hours where I had a flash of dispair.

I think it is still there but I will ignore it and 'Play and be Damned'.

I fear for the rest - although I don't really think they give a shit anyway !!! Perhaps I care too much ...

Edited by Tezza
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Maybe depends on the area.. Some places are more open minded than others.. You need to play at venues that you know give scope for tunes outside the classic northern bracket... What club/ Area are you talking about???? Plus..... Never post anything moody till at least Wednesday when you head is clear, that's the day after suicide Tuesday... Plenty clubs and promoters looking for DJs that do something a little different.. Any DJs like this are welcome to message me, always looking for different DJs with a little flare( not in the trousers)...

Word.

Social source share

Did a mod/60's gig last month.

The punters treated it like a northern gig despite ska/rnb/British beat getting played.

A bird questioned my playing of Zoot Moneys Big Time Operator at a "northern" do. I informed her that some northern would be played but it was not solely that kind of gig.

She just looked at me blankly as if I was a dick.

Two records into my spot, a fella brings a request list, a pre-emptive list of DILYIID and northern oldies.

I didn't have any of them and apologised.

He deftly replied "if I had known i could have brought you in a cd"

The events early doors knocked me but the rest of the crowd were so welcoming to me that the 1-2% were forgotten about.

Even the bad times are good fella, take a rest ;)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi Tezza, depends if you bought your records because YOU loved them, or in the hope other people would. Is it a compilation of records to DJ with, or a personal collection. If you love your records and love soul, cherish them and play them in your record room, do CD,s of the same stuff as the 3 or 4 you played out the other night and send them to like minded mates and associates who in return will return the favour, don,t let the sheep get you down mate, keep them, move stuff on you have had forever and buy other stuff that floats YOUR boat.

Kev

Absolutely spot on! I honestly can't agree more with what Kev is saying. There's 45s there which are obviously exciting you and not others - keep to your principles and evolve! 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

To stand behind the decks and play something that gives you a big twitch and gets little or no reaction is tough to take Tezza.. I would have to choose with care when taking a booking to DJ..... Some if the best tunes to my ears have had the tumbleweed affect at times... No matter how good a tune, if they don't know it then they don't dance....

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Have you been through this and come out the other side or just thrown in the towel?

Never been or wanted to be a DJ........so not really qualified to comment on that level

....but as someone speaking from the floor and who's been at enough events when TW's been on the decks to comment, just sounds like a case of "burn out" to me

....don't you dare sack it.....that's an order!!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Never been or wanted to be a DJ........so not really qualified to comment on that level

....but as someone speaking from the floor and who's been at enough events when TW's been on the decks to comment, just sounds like a case of "burn out" to me

....don't you dare sack it.....that's an order!!!

Cheers dude XX

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It doesn't matter how brilliant a record is there are very few situations where somebody will dance to a record they don't know. Usually the best you can do is to get them on your side by playing stuff you know will go down well then try and slip one in and hope it only half empties the floor. Then if it got a reasonable response stick wiith it and don't chop and change too much. It often takes up to 10 plays even at home to really get into a record (and it's much easier to get into your own records rather than someone else's) so we're talking in terms of years playing out rather than months I'm afraid. there are plenty of exceptions but I think a lot of DJs would agree with this scenario nowadays.

The best way to speed things up is what Keb did with his band of followers at Stafford and give them tapes of his new stuff to play at home so that when they were played first time at a nighter they were ready to rush to the floor-plus that scene had the crusading aspect to it. I think if you might need to cut back your expectations a bit, I have in recent years.

It is a strange fact that people who 'know their stuff' will generally only dance to what they know but your 'normal' people will dance to things they dont know. Clubs in europe play stuff that is so upfront and adventurous that it puts uk dos to shame, yet hardly any of the audience must know most of the tunes, and their clubs and dancefloors are packed.

So much for knowledge if it makes you dance less.

As for me, I dance to stuff I dont know all the time, why the fuck wouldnt you?

And if i thought that people would never dance to what they didnt know i'd sell up tomorrow.

If the scenes are like that then it is time to give up. In 20 years djing i've played new stuff to packed dancefloors constantly. The day i dont is the day i give up, a day which i think has already come.

Edited by penny
Social source share

Hi Tezza. You've got some great stuff and very high respect on the scene. Cause you play the odd rare one and people don't dance they still like it, as Ady quoted, 'when i did my spot at the 100 club the floor cleared, i thought the fire alarm went off', but alot of them were taking photos of the records and asking me 'what this is?', my quote was, 'was f**king footsie'.

Cheers Billy

Ps. The last bit, i was just joking. I had a really nice day today, i am happy.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Tezza if your going to dj then play from your heart and at a venue that's suits your style of tune and taste and if you beleive in the tune or tunes then you need to stick with them cos if you don't play them they will never get known or loved as much as you love them, how the fook do you think Len feels every time he djs lol.

Also take it as a compliment that you have bought something new to the decks and just cos they didn't dance it don't mean they wasn't enjoyed :-)

Social source share

Guest kev such

Next time Tezza, look round the room and I bet you people'll be tapping their feet or nodding their heads mate. Then just play them again somewhere else Stick with them and you'll be amazed at the reaction, and you'll then be frustrated because two or so others you are playing are not being very well received.

Kev

Social source share

I thought you played a great setTezza, I didn't know 95â„… of it but I sat down mainly due to me being out the night before til 2am at another oldies fest in Sheffield. I loved your set Tezza and enjoyed it, tapping my feet, indeed when you played the unknown to me Sam Dees I came up and asked you what it was. I came up to your nite to hear something different and all the guys delivered that, to me that's the ethos of the new Hollingwood, something a bit different like the Toni Michaels that Chris played. I left happy, money and travelling time well worth the visit, and spent last nite trying to research what I heard. In my opinion a good DJ shouldn't be too bothered about clearing the floor sometimes. It was a great evening of soul music well done.

At

Mick

Social source share

It is a strange fact that people who 'know their stuff' will generally only dance to what they know but your 'normal' people will dance to things they dont know. Clubs in europe play stuff that is so upfront and adventurous that it puts uk dos to shame, yet hardly any of the audience must know most of the tunes, and their clubs and dancefloors are packed.

So much for knowledge if it makes you dance less.

As for me, I dance to stuff I dont know all the time, why the f*ck wouldnt you?

And if i thought that people would never dance to what they didnt know i'd sell up tomorrow.

If the scenes are like that then it is time to give up. In 20 years djing i've played new stuff to packed dancefloors constantly. The day i dont is the day i give up, a day which i think has already come.

made the same point penny a couple of months ago and got shot down for it.  I always get more of a kick dancing to something I like dont know or is recently familier to me then a tune I've heard before. 

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

I thought you played a great setTezza, I didn't know 95â„… of it but I sat down mainly due to me being out the night before til 2am at another oldies fest in Sheffield. I loved your set Tezza and enjoyed it, tapping my feet, indeed when you played the unknown to me Sam Dees I came up and asked you what it was. I came up to your nite to hear something different and all the guys delivered that, to me that's the ethos of the new Hollingwood, something a bit different like the Toni Michaels that Chris played. I left happy, money and travelling time well worth the visit, and spent last nite trying to research what I heard. In my opinion a good DJ shouldn't be too bothered about clearing the floor sometimes. It was a great evening of soul music well done.

At

Mick

I agree with mick  terry it makes my night to here some of the under played stuff ,thinking back 15/16 years ago I remember going to soul nights & thinking I hardly new the stuff they were playing

but it sounded good ,I think that people get used to hearing the same stuff & like to keep with in there comfort zone so depends on the crowd

keep your pecker up pal

Towanda Barnes  & the likes need to be played  keep trying pal keep plugging away

Richo!

Social source share

Sorry to disagree, but too many people just going through the motions. If you aren't enjoying something, then move on to something else. Life's too short. Too many on the soul scene because they don't know anything else. People don't like change when they are getting older, but everything has a limited life span. THEY DON'T MAKE THIS MUSIC ANYMORE. It's a nostalgia scene, so if you don't want to listen to the same music every week, move on.

There are no awards for long service to the soul scene. It's the same with venues, all the anniversary crap. We've been going the longest, big deal. Longevity don't mean quality.

Social source share