This weeks lunacy

Vadnochka

Lol… you got a top hat for that one…

I guess after all is said two things stand out for me, obviously the price but if you Had known and danced to that track for 20 years would you really wanna shell out that much dosh when you could get so much new stuff you had never heard b4? 

I guess so in this case, pretty boring though… but there are a few oldies I’d like again, June Jackson and half a dozen others for one 😞 

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Hi Haighy,

I agree with your comment, i am not technically a record collector or a DJ but i have paid £500 thereabouts a couple of times (in my lifetime) for records just because i happen to love them and there is something special to me about owning the original of that particular record - i count these particular records i need to own on one hand. I now really just buy cheap records and re-issues - As i am poor :( 

Just curious though as to why you felt owning that record was worth paying that price?

When you get it do you play it?, store it? look at it? or is it because you are the owner of something that is rare and you own something that others want to own? or is it for investment? or ALL/some of the above or other reasons?.

As i said just curious.

Thankyou 😉 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Quite true folks - Price paid on specific 45's is a matter between the buyer / seller - So many sounds on Discogs appear to be priced on an opportunistic high basis and stick around for ages if not forever - also agree on Paris - bought one from Steve Kennedy for 4/500 back in the 90's - got it home and thought - 'Why ?' - I could have gone home with John & Weirdest or Admirations (Peaches) - Sold the Paris to Chaddy so made a profit soon after.

My main point on these threads is about the drag factor when numerous copies suddenly appear in the wake of a big ticket price being achieved on any listing now that it becomes general knowledge almost immediately.

Very rarely if ever re-buy anything I've had previously from over 53yrs of collecting / dj'ing unless it's at a bargain price and even then I draw back from the 'buy it now' button on most occasions.

Hey ho as you say

Social source share

15 hours ago, Haighy said:

I’ve just paid £2250 for a mint copy of Carole Anderson off discogs. I sold my copy  26 yr ago for £600 and regretted it. It’s taken 20 yr to find the right copy and I don’t give a f&&? What anyone thinks or says. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, just as everyone is entitled to pay what they think is a fair price. 

hey, good on you to actually come out and say your piece on a great tune , and your comfortable with paying what you thought was a fair price today especially for a mint copy ...its a great double header and one i nearly let go 4 years ago .think it 650 i was offered ,collector saying thats what the going rate is for a mint copy........i decided to keep it..

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Kev Cane said:

That's right, I've said many times on here, forget the "going rate" it's over, times we live in, like you suggest, these things just ain't there anymore, record buying trips to the States are yielding less and less imho, the market is totally different to what it was " back in the day" what we deem as Northern Soul, applying our own, rules, and regulations etc, (pricing, condition etc) doesn't apply, "Rare Soul" be it Northern, Modern, Deep, Crossover, Sweet, Group Harmony etc Al, is a very desirable and sought after commodity, worldwide, some of the guy's throwing their hat's in the ring have never been to a Niter or Soul nite in their lives, they collect "rare soul" in all it's forms and formats.

I have no problem with whatever stance folk take on this, all I will say is,  a record really is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, get used to it, it ain't going away.

Kev

I agree Kev,

A record always has been "what someone is prepared to pay", we have ALL overpaid in the past, same as Art and property and collectables and all other world commodities - There may be some form of exploitation going on but, If your lucky enough to be able to afford it and you really want it and are comfortable paying a price, then buy it, so what? Values for anything and everything are subjective and always really have been 😉 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Dobber said:

I dont think northern soul can be compared with property and art,property will always be in demand in an over populated world and thus increase in price,art for the most part are one offs and are hundreds of years old and will always appeal to the masses,whereas northern soul 45s will be worthless in say 20 years tops! I really cant see people falling over themselves for these records for much longer! And actually if you study the user names on ebay..jm’s..etc its the usual suspects buying them!  Oooh i feel like ive just poked myself in the eye!

i think if you can afford it,and you want it simply for the enjoyment of owning it,then bloody well have it! But as a long term investment,sorry but thats daft!

No i completely 100% agree with you on this Dobber in that you are right you cant really compare art and property and also totally agree collecting soul IMO will end, at some point?  whether or not the bubble will burst. 

But my point was being that if you can afford something comfortably and you really want it then buy it - I Agree though defo NOT for an investment, but love only.

Just to add also, gone are the days in the 60s/70s/80s when you could pick up a rare soul record for a fiver and keep it for 30/40/50 years then sell for thousands and thousands are gone, its already been done. ie if you pay £5,000 for a record today its highly unlikely you will be able to re sell that in a few years for significantly more (IMO) - i just cant see that happening plus you need "young"/new collectors on the scene, but where are they? 😉 - Maybe they are here? Hence the values recently?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Soulsearch said:

No i completely 100% agree with you on this Dobber in that you are right you cant really compare art and property and also totally agree collecting soul IMO will end, at some point?  whether or not the bubble will burst. 

But my point was being that if you can afford something comfortably and you really want it then buy it - I Agree though defo NOT for an investment, but love only.

Just to add also, gone are the days in the 60s/70s/80s when you could pick up a rare soul record for a fiver and keep it for 30/40/50 years then sell for thousands and thousands are gone, its already been done. ie if you pay £5,000 for a record today its highly unlikely you will be able to re sell that in a few years for significantly more (IMO) - i just cant see that happening plus you need "young"/new collectors on the scene, but where are they? 😉 - Maybe they are here? Hence the values recently?

PS However, at the end of the day nobody actually knows, me, you or anybody :) Look at Covid!!!

Social source share

22 hours ago, Haighy said:

I’ve just paid £2250 for a mint copy of Carole Anderson off discogs. I sold my copy  26 yr ago for £600 and regretted it. It’s taken 20 yr to find the right copy and I don’t give a f&&? What anyone thinks or says. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, just as everyone is entitled to pay what they think is a fair price. 

Reminds me of:

25 years ago or so i brought a copy of Alex brown not responsible issue mint and i paid £320 (i think) from Mr JM

Sold it a few years after for a little more i think £400. The record (to me) was a special record that meant a lot to me as it was "the" record that got me into soul in the first place.

"If" someone offered me a Mint yellow copy now for 2K i wouldn't buy it because in my life now i just could not justify/or certainly afford it.

However, if i was offered it now and i could comfortably afford it, i most certainly would by it without an ounce of hesitation.

Again, never as an investment but because the record meant and still means a huge amount to me. :) That single record (in a way) defined who i was and am (GOSH bit deep especially for a Monday........................)

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Soulsearch said:

I agree, I can fully understand wanting to be able to play a sound whenever I want.  But for me a CD or reissue which are often options and having a very nice holiday wins every time.  Especially as knowing me I'd sit on it and bust it anyway!!!    However, I fully respect it is an individual choice which is what makes it all interesting.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

8 hours ago, Stanley said:

hey, good on you to actually come out and say your piece on a great tune , and your comfortable with paying what you thought was a fair price today especially for a mint copy ...its a great double header and one i nearly let go 4 years ago .think it 650 i was offered ,collector saying thats what the going rate is for a mint copy........i decided to keep it..

It was myself who made you that offer George,i managed to get a m- copy off Chris Anderton 2 years ago for £750. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

8 hours ago, Stanley said:

Wise decision mate

• Up vote 1
Social source share

When I  see these pieces of plastic selling for crazy prices I'm reminded of the Tulip madness that gripped the Netherlands when collectors paid similarly outrageous sums for tulip bulbs. One day someone realised the madness- the emperor wasn't wearing any clothes and the bottom fell out of the market. I recommend folks go research this period in history. I'm an avid collector of music- vinyl 12",45,33, CDs SACDs etc but I refuse to fuel the greed. Of course I share the passion for the music and I love tracking down discs but common sense has to kick in at some point. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

24 minutes ago, Moutton Noir said:

When I  see these pieces of plastic selling for crazy prices I'm reminded of the Tulip madness that gripped the Netherlands when collectors paid similarly outrageous sums for tulip bulbs. One day someone realised the madness- the emperor wasn't wearing any clothes and the bottom fell out of the market. I recommend folks go research this period in history. I'm an avid collector of music- vinyl 12",45,33, CDs SACDs etc but I refuse to fuel the greed. Of course I share the passion for the music and I love tracking down discs but common sense has to kick in at some point. 

Yes the emperors new clothes scenario. Hence i am buying "cheap" and re-issued records now.

But, the term "Northern Soul" has become a household name not just in the UK but world-wide it appears. There is plenty of absolute poverty in the world and certainly more wealth than there ever has been, and therefore unfortunately will breed the greed and the exploiters will appear (always been the case though). I would guess that some "investors" out there have just decided to latch onto another market. Some of these folks may not even be into records never mind soul - its just another avenue for them to invest in. The records being stored in the loft and to be sold a couple of years down the line for "potentially" a good healthy profit.

Others buy these records purely for the love of owning them and playing them as already discussed and if the prices paid are comfortable for the buyer then so be it - good on them but yes it does appear there is the greed element going on.

So the term Northern Soul really has become a bit of a "Victim of its own success" i feel 😉 

Social source share

The coming of the internet has caused all this price madness. Before 2000 the only people who knew all these great classics were dedicated Northern Soul collectors and the hard core allnighter fraternity.

The internet has opened it all up to any Tom, Dick and Harry! You tube, Goggle, Ebay  and online auctions etc.

The internet is here to stay so we have just got to live with the consequences.

Edited by D9 Ktf
Social source share

"Last time i heard apparently the film "Northern Soul" was number 3 on Netflix in the US. If that's true?? then that's a vast amount of potential new interest in Northern Soul record collecting. "

Incredibly unlikely. Not least because film is seven years old. Doubt if it barely caused a ripple on U.S. netflix.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Record collecting is not only contained to the “northern soul” scene, different records appeal to a multitude of audiences. Manny mentioned one day that his email list has 65k subscribers then add in what Carolina Soul, Funk You, Darren Brown etc have it’s a substantial number with varying amounts of capital to spend. It’s not going to change and the days of reasonably priced rare records in “mint” condition are pretty much gone 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Johndelve said:

"Last time i heard apparently the film "Northern Soul" was number 3 on Netflix in the US. If that's true?? then that's a vast amount of potential new interest in Northern Soul record collecting. "

Incredibly unlikely. Not least because film is seven years old. Doubt if it barely caused a ripple on U.S. netflix.

Perhaps you are right, just what i heard.

But a small ripple is still a ripple - even if it attracted 20 new serious collectors in the US it is still 20 new collectors all searching for the same records. Lots of small ripples end up being a big puddle then a pond.

As i said the term "Northern Soul" has become the victim of its own success regarding the price of records.

Social source share

37 minutes ago, Kev Cane said:

That's right Dave, everybody seems to be wrapped up in this "Northern Soul" "British Soul scene" be all and end all perception, like I said earlier in the thread, on a world market concept, the pigeon holing means little or nothing to the rare soul collectors in say, California, Japan etc, the days where the market was determined in the record bars of soul nites and niters is prehistoric now, take a look at what Sweet and Group Harmony prices are doing worldwide now, without a dancefloor in sight, the rare soul market is getting bigger and bigger world wide, those who think the arse will drop out of it, don't hold your breath.

Kev

Agreed. "Northern soul" is just the most extreme end of inflated record prices, but so may other genres have jumped hugely in price too, and you give some good examples. But it's not just 'soul' at all. The price of prog rock LPs (not that I give a toss about that type of music) has also gone crazy. Thousands of pounds per LP in that genre is far from uncommon....there is no doubt that there are a number of very wealthy young collectors out there who didn't exist in the past, and that fact, combined with other things such as covid, the worldwide reach of discogs etc. has changed collecting over last few years out of all recognition. And I agree again, it isn't going to change any time soon.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I realised something was changing a few months back when i noticed at bashed up copy of the midnight UK 7" in a well known high street charity shop behind the counter in a glass case for £80.00!!! ???

1 hour ago, Johndelve said:

Agreed. "Northern soul" is just the most extreme end of inflated record prices, but so may other genres have jumped hugely in price too, and you give some good examples. But it's not just 'soul' at all. The price of prog rock LPs (not that I give a toss about that type of music) has also gone crazy. Thousands of pounds per LP in that genre is far from uncommon....there is no doubt that there are a number of very wealthy young collectors out there who didn't exist in the past, and that fact, combined with other things such as covid, the worldwide reach of discogs etc. has changed collecting over last few years out of all recognition. And I agree again, it isn't going to change any time soon.

Social source share

As well as the "Investors" and the collectors you also have the other spin offs.

I started listening to Hip Hop aged 12 (ish) then becoming interested in the samples used - this path led me to my love of soul. I am not sure what this is like now but i do know for a fact a lot of my friends around that time were spending huge amounts of money on their elusive soul 7s just for their samples alone. If any of you listen to any of these albums you maybe surprised at how often these samples are used. 

I am not certain of course but i would imagine now that this "scene" also has grown hugely? maybe maybe not?.

Then you need to take into account the producers and other artists that are using these soul sounds in most of their musical creations David Holmes being the obvious one that springs to my mind ie a melting pots of individuals wanting to purchase these records for differing reasons.

I brought myself a 7" a couple of weeks ago, a very slow and rare sweet soul "ballad" in fact a few days after my purchase i stumbles across 3 hip hop records sampling this record including a recent snoop dog one??

My point being, just a melting pot of many various reasons people collect and buy soul records not "just" the folks that were lucky enough to have been there in the 70s dancing away - wish i had been there though, sounds like they were amazing times 😉 

just saying..................................................

• Up vote 1
Social source share

17 minutes ago, Soulsearch said:

As well as the "Investors" and the collectors you also have the other spin offs.

I started listening to Hip Hop aged 12 (ish) then becoming interested in the samples used - this path led me to my love of soul. I am not sure what this is like now but i do know for a fact a lot of my friends around that time were spending huge amounts of money on their elusive soul 7s just for their samples alone. If any of you listen to any of these albums you maybe surprised at how often these samples are used. 

I am not certain of course but i would imagine now that this "scene" also has grown hugely? maybe maybe not?.

Then you need to take into account the producers and other artists that are using these soul sounds in most of their musical creations David Holmes being the obvious one that springs to my mind ie a melting pots of individuals wanting to purchase these records for differing reasons.

I brought myself a 7" a couple of weeks ago, a very slow and rare sweet soul "ballad" in fact a few days after my purchase i stumbles across 3 hip hop records sampling this record including a recent snoop dog one??

My point being, just a melting pot of many various reasons people collect and buy soul records not "just" the folks that were lucky enough to have been there in the 70s dancing away - wish i had been there though, sounds like they were amazing times 😉 

just saying..................................................

From what I’ve seen a lot of hip hop guys I know aren’t worried about originals as long as they can get a sample. I’m from a similar background as you and still buy the occasional record or two when I’m not buying soul. To be honest I wouldn’t want to be scratching anything worth £s no matter what the set up 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Girdwoodinc said:

From what I’ve seen a lot of hip hop guys I know aren’t worried about originals as long as they can get a sample. I’m from a similar background as you and still buy the occasional record or two when I’m not buying soul. To be honest I wouldn’t want to be scratching anything worth £s no matter what the set up 

Thankyou Girdwoodinc,

You maybe right, haven't got a clue about now? but when i was growing up in South London in the 1980s that was what was happening then with the groups i associated with, i cant speak for now however, again just another potential scenario to throw into the mix.

Anyway, sampling is not necessarily "scratching". Conditions for records back then also wasn't really an issue as the crowd i knew quite liked a few crackles - in fact the more the merrier LOL 😉 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Girdwoodinc said:

The people making the records may just want a sample - but the ones at the top of their game have always sought out lesser known (to a degree) stuff to use. That in turn drives a collectors market for people chasing original copies of the sampled tracks.

Wu Tang Clan's sample of Wendy Rene's "After Laughter" drove that record from being a relative cheapie to a $2/300 45 for example.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

The people making the records may just want a sample - but the ones at the top of their game have always sought out lesser known (to a degree) stuff to use. That in turn drives a collectors market for people chasing original copies of the sampled tracks.

Wu Tang Clan's sample of Wendy Rene's "After Laughter" drove that record from being a relative cheapie to a $2/300 45 for example.

Yep, there are many many other, Another is the Charmels as long as ive got you is also an eagerly  hunted 7" for the hip hop fraternity purely for the sample (cant remember who sampled though?)

Social source share

Social source share

Fine for an actual "rare" record, the problem with That Betty Moorer and many others recently is that they are not actually "that" physically rare? - its plentiful in collections i thought but folks keep hold of them.

Many People will keep their copy but at the same time i feel many are going to want to sell theirs - I would if i had it, that's a lot of money. It wont flood the market perhaps but i am sure a good few are going to start cropping up soon. 

As i said, for a proven physical rarity then fine - pay whatever you are happy to and can afford, but surely not for a "fairly" plentiful record.

That MUST be a collector that brought that i cant possibly see any profit in that record ever for an investor? (i may be wrong of course) - Also if that's an overseas sale then the import/VAT/post potentially takes that record to about £900?

Social source share

I had a copy of Carol Anderson on Whip for about a fiver off some random dealer at a London record fair in the mid / late 80s. That copy got nicked a few years later along with a load of other nice stuff I'd got mainly through obsessively trawling UK second hand record shops, stalls, etc. 

As others have said, those days are long gone thanks to the internet. This is  both in terms of prices and decent / interesting stuff finding its way into physical outlets at all. Collecting 'Northern' via the internet is a rich person's pastime these days and a different type of collecting altogether IMO. Not for me - the fun's gone.

Can see the same thing happening pricewise in 5-10 years with other genres of black music I collect so concentrating on those nowadays (albeit via the internet)... while I still can!😁

Edited by Joesoap
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

21 minutes ago, Joesoap said:

I had a copy of Carol Anderson on Whip for about a fiver off some random dealer at a London record fair in the mid / late 80s. That copy got nicked a few years later along with a load of other nice stuff I'd got mainly through obsessively trawling UK second hand record shops, stalls, etc. 

As others have said, those days are long gone thanks to the internet. This is  both in terms of prices and decent / interesting stuff finding its way into physical outlets at all. Collecting 'Northern' via the internet is a rich person's pastime these days and a different type of collecting altogether IMO. Not for me - the fun's gone.

Can see the same thing happening pricewise in 5-10 years with other genres of black music I collect so concentrating on those nowadays (albeit via the internet)... while I still can!😁

You nailed it for me Joesoap - the fun really has gone :( 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

17 minutes ago, Soulsearch said:

You nailed it for me Joesoap - the fun really has gone :( 

PS although a recent post will confirm that there are plenty of amazing records still out there which are still easy to find and absolute steals. Its the music for me now, not the hunting, it "was" fun but as you say those days are long gone 😉 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

And the upshot of all this chinwag is, that folk are still in the 80s, 9os , record bar mindset,  " Northern Soul" is the be all and end all of the determination of the Rare Soul market, I love debate,  but when people don't get that worldwide, collectors of rare soul, don't give a flying fuck about the European "Northern Soul scene" so called rules and regulations,  the parameters changed years ago, it be,s that way 

Kev

• Up vote 3
Social source share

4 hours ago, Kev Cane said:

And the upshot of all this chinwag is, that folk are still in the 80s, 9os , record bar mindset,  " Northern Soul" is the be all and end all of the determination of the Rare Soul market, I love debate,  but when people don't get that worldwide, collectors of rare soul, don't give a flying fuck about the European "Northern Soul scene" so called rules and regulations,  the parameters changed years ago, it be,s that way 

Kev

Thats a great way of putting it,the past is the past and i think when it comes to buying its a case of who dares wins. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!