Soul Connected Films - Cream Of The Crop List...

15 minutes ago, Kenb said:

Three Degrees-The French Connection. slight topic drift

https://intothemild.com/2015/01/20/the-french-connection/

Come on Ken, what ya trying to do to us, we're talking complete films here,  thought it was fairly obvious

Cream of the crop soul connected films, is what the topic is about

1 nomination so far ... can we get to a top ten?

Social source share

2 hours ago, Source said:

Come on Ken, what ya trying to do to us, we're talking complete films here,  thought it was fairly obvious

Cream of the crop soul connected films, is what the topic is about

1 nomination so far ... can we get to a top ten?

Doh…

I can be a bit thick, and a bit stupid, but not usually both together.

Social source share

There was the Temptations TV movie, which screened in the US when we were over on the 1998 Soul Trip to Vegas.

It was on TV there a day after this event which was staged for us by Nancy Yahiro in Long Beech ... so mid Feb 98 then (see attached flyer).

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkGtMGs-k3Q

After that, it came out on video & you used to be able to pick up copies of the video version over here for around a quid (I have 3 or 4 copies of it here somewhere).

There have been projects started to film versions of the lives of Otis Redding (Billy Ocean was tipped to play Otis at one stage) and the finished articles on Ike & Tina Turner, the Supremes (disguised under another group name & titled DREAM GIRLS), James Brown, etc.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2pdkjTB040

Also documentary type efforts about Reffa, the Funk Brothers, the Wrecking Crew, Nina Simone, etc. 

Lots of short clips of soul acts included in films about other subjects, topics (Mary Love being one to get featured in DOLOMITE, along with Arthur Wright's Soul Rebellion Orch). >>  //www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYM0XJT28V0

Mary Love from the movie soundtrack (think she's featured singing it live on a club's stage in the actual movie) ..  //www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jBf3jl6aNw

Soul stars have appeared in many films in playing fictional roles as A.N.Other (Whitney, Beyonce, etc.). 

SoulTrip98LA.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

13 minutes ago, Roburt said:

There was the Temptations TV movie, which screened in the US when we were over on the 1998 Soul Trip to Vegas.

It was on TV there a few days from this event which was staged for us by Nancy Yahiro in Long Beech ... so mid Feb 98 then (see attached flyer).

After that, it came out on video & you used to be able to pick up copies of the video version over here for around a quid (I have 3 or 4 copies of it here somewhere).

There have been projects started to film versions of the lives of Otis Redding (Billy Ocean was tipped to play Otis at one stage) and the finished articles on Ike & Tina Turner, the Supremes (disguised under another group name & titled DREAM GIRLS), James Brown, etc.

Also documentary type efforts about Reffa, the Funk Brothers, the Wrecking Crew, Nina Simone, etc. 

SoulTrip98LA.jpg

Would I be right in saying 'The Temptations TV movie' be your nomination John?

If so then thats 2  members nominations in,  8 more to go....

Social source share

Yep, I'll nominate the Temptations movie.

BTW, ahead of us heading out to Vegas, I'd contacted the Motown Cafe there to see if we could have an extended 'backroom' tour of the place. Our proposed visit was just a few days before the TV movie was to be screened.

An LA TV news team, doing a feature on the upcoming TV movie (it must have been due to screen on their channel -- on the coming Sunday night if my memory ain't playing tricks on me).,They sent a camera team over to the Vegas Motown Cafe to do a news piece on this 'strange group of Brit soul / Motown fans' over in Vegas to see & stage some live shows. We were interviewed & then filmed up on stage at the venue, singing along & dancing with the Cafe's own versions of the Temptations and Supremes. 

Dave Leedham was one of our group & he was going off after our time together ended to see a mate over in California. He'd told that mate about the TV news piece on us & his mate video'd it. Dave got copies of the piece and gave me a copy. Got that somewhere here too.  

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

"Cadillac Records "  2009 I think , the story of Leonard Chess a Jewish immigrant from Poland who sets up the Chess/ Checker labels , good movie I thought .

"Soul Men " 2008 , Samuel L Jackson , Bernie Mac & Isaac Hayes, a good comedy based I believe on the story of Sam & Dave , still makes me laugh 

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Happy Feet said:

"Cadillac Records "  2009 I think , the story of Leonard Chess a Jewish immigrant from Poland who sets up the Chess/ Checker labels , good movie I thought .

"Soul Men " 2008 , Samuel L Jackson , Bernie Mac & Isaac Hayes, a good comedy based I believe on the story of Sam & Dave , still makes me laugh 

which one are ya nominating Dave?

Social source share

Of course, the Blues Brothers film both starred many soul acts (all playing semi fictional roles) ...

can't nominate either film though, already made my pick ...

REFFA HERE ...  //www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTXszRHc0qs

Then there's all the decent blaxploitation films with great soundtracks ... SUPERFLY, SHAFT, THE MACK, FOXY BROWN and the 'not so good ones' ... the 3 Dolomite films for instance.

Also, Barbara McNair starred in many good movies, but not in singing roles.

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

26 minutes ago, Benji said:

Maybe I just didn't get it, but you're not talking about biopics are you?

just after a knockabout list of the 'best' films with a strong soul connection

fiction, non-fiction, biopic etc etc all welcome

Social source share

19 hours ago, Roburt said:

It was on TV there a day after this event which was staged for us by Nancy Yahiro in Long Beech ... so mid Feb 98 then (see attached flyer).

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkGtMGs-k3Q

Lots of short clips of soul acts included in films about other subjects, topics (Mary Love being one to get featured in DOLOMITE, along with Arthur Wright's Soul Rebellion Orch). >>  //www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYM0XJT28V0

Mary Love from the movie soundtrack (think she's featured singing it live on a club's stage in the actual movie) ..  //www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jBf3jl6aNw

Soul stars have appeared in many films in playing fictional roles as A.N.Other (Whitney, Beyonce, etc.). 

SoulTrip98LA.jpg

Yes Roburt, remember The Temptations dramatisation, it was on a channel called Hallmark over here, the guy who played David Ruffin looked more like Ruffin than Ruffin himself 😆 

Kev

• Up vote 1
Social source share

19 hours ago, Benji said:

3 hours ago, Kev Cane said:

Benji, Kev any nominations?

Tthink we are on about 7 now ish

Will give it another day or so , then just for some fun and that will knock up a poll of the nominations

Social source share

2 hours ago, Source said:

Will give it another day or so , then just for some fun and that will knock up a poll of the nominations

Don't know if this qualifies, but, The Dramatics were heavily involved in the fact based "Detroit" gripping, and disturbing at the same time

Kev

Social source share

4 hours ago, Source said:

Not from me i'm afraid, I'm not that much of a movie fan apart from Star Wars (excl. episodes 1-3). But I'm going to try and watch some of the movies that have been nominated so far.

• Thanks 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, Mickey Finn said:

If I'm allowed 2 more:

nope, thinking is that if we go for an one nomination per member, it would allow more to take part and avoid one or two members just flooding the topic and ending the discussion, so just gonna take ya first one as your nomination

8 hours ago, Benji said:

Not from me i'm afraid, I'm not that much of a movie fan apart from Star Wars (excl. episodes 1-3). But I'm going to try and watch some of the movies that have been nominated so far.

no probs, let us know what you think of any you catch

10 hours ago, Kev Cane said:

Don't know if this qualifies, but, The Dramatics were heavily involved in the fact based "Detroit" gripping, and disturbing at the same time

Kev

already been nominated Kev , have you got another?

12 hours ago, Source said:

think we are on about 7 now ish

what about the 2 northern connected films ? any of them worthy additions?

also surprised that a big recent Oscar winner ain't been added yet, anyone going to...?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 16/05/2023 at 20:54, Britishbarry said:

How about Detroit. 

22 minutes ago, Britishbarry said:

If we are including Jazz/Funk then I nominate Young Soul Rebels. 

as said somewhere above, going for just the one nomination per member, so taking Detroit as yours

thumbs up

Social source share

On 17/05/2023 at 23:01, Godzilla said:

Maybe not soul music connected enough for this thread, but I enjoyed "Dolemite Is My Name"  - the Rudy Ray Moore biopic. He made a few cracking soul/funk/R&B records amongst all the blue material though!

image.png

A film made about the 70's Dolomite films (one of which starred Mary love).

Social source share

• 2 months later...
32 minutes ago, Soul Shrews said:

Dells wasn't it ?

Cheers Paul

Initially written for a Temptations-a-like fit but that was prior Berry Gordy Diva's threat to sue and so they swapped it for the Dells. Good God I didn't know that before looking into it. Both of you are right and wrong. But this is the 'bottom' of it.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 18/05/2023 at 14:38, purist said:

My tip would be Searching for Sugarman. A fantastic and very moving story.

(would you consider Car Wash ? Commitments ?  People always used to mention something Wednesday, possibly Big Wednesday, but I've never seen it?  Then there's Coast to Coast, with better casting it could have been another Blues Brothers)

Sad news in today's Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/aug/09/searching-for-sugar-man-singer-rodriguez-dies

• Thanks 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!