World Northern Soul Dance Championship: Info please

Paul-s

Just to say, I am writing about Northern Soul dancing at the moment and these questions are genuine. So, comments are welcome. 

I have, since its inception, been bemused by the title of this competition.

I, of course, have my own opinion, but I am very interested in your take on it. So,

• What makes it a World championship?
  • What countries from around the World are represented?
  • Why is it not called Blackpool dance competition (local as in the past)?
  • Is it run by a representative World federation. As with other World dance competitions? 
  • Which other countries is it held in?
  • Can another event(s) hold a World Northern Soul Dance Championship: so we will have many World champions?
  • How do the judges choose a winner?
  • Does the title mean the winner is the best northern soul dancer in the World?
  • What do you personally think about Northern Soul dance competitions?

Thanks in advance.

Paul-S

IMG_2662.thumb.jpg.d6d41b89a5b270826d42f285d7bb2147.jpg

Edited by Paul-s
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Why is the World Series called the World Series when only US teams are involved.?

That's always puzzled me.

The makers of Britain's got talent go the opposite way, when they could call their show The Worlds got talent because quite a few of their acts are international but they opt for BGT.

Edited by Jessie Pinkman
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Can another event(s) hold a World Northern Soul Dance Championship: so we will have many World champions?

In the old days I'm pretty sure Boxing had just the one champion at a time, in all of the different weights. Nowadays there's the WBC, WBA, IBF and the WBO,

If another promoter felt the need then why not. Up against the Blackpool Tower Ballroom that's possibly hosted hundreds of dance competitions over the years.

Edited by Jessie Pinkman
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, Sunnysoul said:

This young fellow from Japan had a couple of videos posted on Youtube around 16 years ago, including this one of him taken (outside) the Cleethorpes Weekender.  His name is Kanta. Anyone have any more information on him and is he still around and active ?

I remember him. A clone of Keb really, which was happening a lot at that time...He would be regarded as too international for Blackpool I fear.😉

• Up vote 1
Social source share

20 hours ago, Paul-s said:

Yes, it often looks as if they are dancing/performing over the tune rather than dancing 'within' it. That probably doesn't make sense (does to me though🙃)

I love to watch Preston cybermen Dave Molloy and Gaz Kellett, both are definitely within the tune.

Edited by Jessie Pinkman
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, Kenb said:

the thing is though... when we are all dead ( probably me not too far in the distant future) 'their' dancing will be the norm.

Those who are interested will have to explain the difference between what passes for the norm in future and what was filmed in the "This England" doc.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Mickey Finn said:

Those who are interested will have to explain the difference between what passes for the norm in future and what was filmed in the "This England" doc.

I'm interested. And my explanation is, I have no issue with 1977 or the dancing of that tme. But that's not what goes on today ( which will become the norm).

Edited by Kenb
Social source share

53 minutes ago, Kenb said:

I'm interested. And my explanation is, I have no issue with 1977 or the dancing of that tme. But that's not what goes on today ( which will become the norm).

Interesting; the parody becomes the norm. I think you may be right. 

The thing is that the parody, dancing, style, music, is taken mostly from Palmers terrible film. It's historical recreation, minus connection to the music, due to a focus on connecting to the iPhone to share their brilliance and demonstrate their soulfulness. Nothing new is evolved or developed. The music itself is at a standstill, on repeat.

Additionally, perhaps the shift from nighters, the minimal use of gear, or any at all (amongst the clean new Gen) the focus on booze, and other factors play a part?

Social source share

Funny isn't it years ago we were. all discussing encouraging new blood on the scene, well now we have it wether its people reinventing their youth or young people just starting out. 

Either way it's being done differently, personaly can't stand dance competitions or the publicity and over exposure most being orchestrated and exploited by greedy people on the scene who should know better. Be careful what you wish for 

Edited by Mark S
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

7 hours ago, Mark S said:

Funny isn't it years ago we were. all discussing encouraging new blood on the scene, well now we have it wether its people reinventing their youth or young people just starting out. 

Either way it's being done differently, personaly can't stand dance competitions or the publicity and over exposure most being orchestrated and exploited by greedy people on the scene who should know better. Be careful what you wish for 

Good summary...

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

So, now the competition is over, what do people think? There are a few clips on YouTube to view plus a thread on Facebook. Jack Morgan from Scotland was deemed to be the winner. His acrobatics and spins drew much applause from the audience. For what it’s worth, I thought Sharon was easily the better dancer with good footwork in time with the beat but no scrabbling around on the floor to titillate the judges. Jack’s performance was quite impressive but scored nil points on my scorecard for musical interpretation or basic footwork. The 1st round as shown on YouTube looks more like a wedding reception disco with most punters affecting the lethargy that comes with six pints or two bottles of prosecco. Ultimately, it was just another dance competition judged by unknown subjective criteria so the winner deserves credit fir turning up and impressing. On the other hand though, the spectacle was rather disappointing and the most eye catching dancer, namely Sharon, did not win IMO.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

So, now the competition is over, what do people think? There are a few clips on YouTube to view plus a thread on Facebook. Jack Morgan from Scotland was deemed to be the winner. His acrobatics and spins drew much applause from the audience. For what it’s worth, I thought Sharon was easily the better dancer with good footwork in time with the beat but no scrabbling around on the floor to titillate the judges. Jack’s performance was quite impressive but scored nil points on my scorecard for musical interpretation or basic footwork. The 1st round as shown on YouTube looks more like a wedding reception disco with most punters affecting the lethargy that comes with six pints or two bottles of prosecco. Ultimately, it was just another dance competition judged by unknown subjective criteria so the winner deserves credit fir turning up and impressing. On the other hand though, the spectacle was rather disappointing and the most eye catching dancer, namely Sharon, did not win IMO.

I thought she was a good dancer but unlike you I thought the spins etc were out of place with the record, if they were where they should be rather than going through a routine then she should have won.  Jack was a worthy dancer IMO.  Didn’t see enough of the other guy but from what I saw was just doing the tricks for the sake of it and what was the shufflin about?

Social source share

On 08/11/2023 at 23:46, Mark S said:

Either way it's't have  being done differently, personaly can't stand dance competitions or the publicity and over exposure most being orchestrated and exploited by greedy people on the scene who should know better. Be careful what you wish for 

Well said Mark - couldn't have put it better myself! I didn't watch any of it - it's all a "thanks but no thanks" from me. 💩

Edited by Kathryn Magson
Social source share

Thought the lady was the best dancer , but the problem today with mobile phones etc. filming endless dance routines at venues is the scrutiny put on people obviously some enjoy it but not all .

Glad my attempts on the floor where never recorded I was a tryer at best 🙂

I was  captured at Bradford once just sat about and that was enough for my exposure. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I had a great time there on Saturday,whilst I dance myself,I also watch the other dancers,personally there was 2 or 3 I was surprised didn’t get through,equally I thought the last 3 was fair,they all knew there music and did a certain thing in the right places,I thought jack was the rightful winner hands down! My only Cristism was the the tune for the last song which is meant to be something the dancers can really shine! But there chose one of the worst most boring Motown songs there is! Jimmy raye Philly dog would have been my choice for the final song!

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Personally, I think dancing competitions are an unessesary distraction, however for those that enjoy it, it would increase the tension if the announcement of the winner was done by first naming third place and then naming the winner from the two that are left.

Current format leaves the victorious winner standing there whilst the runner-up is being congratulated, so his 'big moment' is lost.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!