How Many Copies Known?

John Elias

Guest thenogger

Someone asked about LITTLE RITCHIE - JUST ANOTHER HEARTACHE.

Well i had a SOUND STAGE 7 PROMO the same colour as an issue. A certain record dealer bought it off me because he had never seen a demo before.

A lot of money between me and the person i sold it to. All i will say 3 figure's back in 1979, i knew to two issue's as well.

REGARDS

thenogger

Social source share

• Replies 280
  • Views 22k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Don't know Marc.......

Your Aviator is PIL Metal box ? not seen one of them for a long time thing mines at my dads only been played once totally forgot about it till i saw it as your aviator, Is it worth owt ???

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

ok i'm just messing with you this time, i haven't ever seen this actually.

...you have now!:

...the file copy from the Jamie-Guyden library.

Social source share

hows about WARREN SCHATZ - SOON EVERYTHING IS GONNA BE ALRIGHT - WILDFLOWER (JAMAICAN) remember Wilky from Corby ,having this in the mid 70s,only copy ive ever seen . Think it was later sold to John Vincent.

anyone know if any ever turned up?.

Last time I saw this up for sale was in Feb 1985 - JM wanted £20 for it on his list.

Social source share

...you have now!:

...the file copy from the Jamie-Guyden library.

Earlier this year when you asked about this 45 here on SoulSource I did a "completed items" search in eBay and a black issue copy of the Don Covay 45 on Landa had sold just a couple of weeks earlier. :rolleyes: It sold for less than $30, but was in poor condition. I thought that I had saved the label scan, but can't find it now. I did however definitely see it. I'll post up the scan if I find it.

Social source share

'what about the west coast distributors girl i love you on jam-cha, how many copies? remember Kitch having this many moons ago

Harry'

A few of these knocking about, seen it on ebay end of last year, plus on playlists here and there. Nick Hackett has one, another on the mod scene, plus think Butch had one for sale last year (or year before)...lovely record though.

Social source share

Your Aviator is PIL Metal box ? not seen one of them for a long time thing mines at my dads only been played once totally forgot about it till i saw it as your aviator, Is it worth owt ???

sure is Miff!!.Love PiL,sold mine some time ago.Someone on here's bound to know its value.

Baz A or Pete S ??

Sorry off topic. :rolleyes: .

Social source share

Yes.....I got Steves copy...fantastic double sider

Absolutely fantastic record. In fact, it was the only one of Steve's tunes I really wanted.

I know a lad from Preston, Billy Kinder, used to have one. That was where I first heard it. Must be 15 years ago now.

He sold his collection to Steve Plumb. Who in turn sold a load to Soul Sam I think.

Neither one can recall this record though? But he definitely had one.

Social source share

if we're including acetates, there must be thousands of one-offs in various collections, no?

some other rare releases:

margaret little

tommy dent on cobblestone

francis burr on salem

junius bugs hughes

klicky robinson

francis burr on salem? this is like a $30 record, right? Is there a second one on salem I'm not thinking of?

Social source share

MINORS--LONELY BOY--CHAMP

Not many of those knockin about mine came via Rod Shard via Phil Wainwright Tim Brown had it off me years later..

Me!! Don't remember that at all!!

As for Soul Bros Inc we had 2. I thought Alex kept a copy and sold other one to ? in mid 90's. It was a known 45 way back and seen others.

My mate has Intensions. I played it around 2000/01 but bombed out everytime. "she went.." whatever which might not be the side that caught on.

ROD

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

Me!! Don't remember that at all!!

As for Soul Bros Inc we had 2. I thought Alex kept a copy and sold other one to ? in mid 90's. It was a known 45 way back and seen others.

ROD

Hi Rod

Hope you well.

Yes the Minors I got off you early 9ts. You might of had it covered up but can't remember.

I had the Soul Bros Inc of you (Carl W got now) along with Red Coats Revue on Salem too.

Cheers

Phil

Social source share

yeah, there's a second one, a great r&b dancer called "i say no, no more." not aware of any besides my copy, white promo.

man, I might have passed this at some point and been like "I already have francis burr on salem" as it's not the type of thing I listen to... maybe not, but the possibility is annoying.

Social source share

Someone asked about LITTLE RITCHIE - JUST ANOTHER HEARTACHE.

Well i had a SOUND STAGE 7 PROMO the same colour as an issue. A certain record dealer bought it off me because he had never seen a demo before.

A lot of money between me and the person i sold it to. All i will say 3 figure's back in 1979, i knew to two issue's as well.

REGARDS

thenogger

I had one as you describe, looked like an issue but had the promo blurb printed on it, it said "Just another heartbreak" though - which of course is what the lyrics say. £45 in 1986(ish). I thought that was a lot of money, even in '86. Three figures in '79 was a heck of a lot!

Best,

RB

Social source share

Here's a scan of the Yum Yums issue :

And looking good it is too Eddie, thanks for that!

I got my Yum Yums from a guy who thought he was scamming me by selling me a bootleg, as I was giving a dj a ride who had the bootleg (he had been given it by the bootlegger if I recall correctly) I was able to compare them. And believe me I had no qualms in giving the con man £7 (yes, £7) for a lovely mint demo!

Best,

RB

Social source share

What about this - Jimmy Radcliffe "Stavolta no", Italian version of "Long after tonight is all over" on Musicor Juke box - the only rare soul copy I own???

Marco "Nerone"

HEAVY SOUL @ BLUE MUSIC

ROME

27th February, 22PM-4AM

CAN WE COUNT COVER UP'S :lol:

IF SO

HERB JOHNSON BRING ME COFFEE IN THE MORNIN

Great thread guys!

Anyone's got clips for these two???

Thanks in advance...

Social source share

really? you're always buying chicago r&b on ebay, aren't you?

yeah, but I'm saying I wouldn't have even looked at the titles if I saw "francis burr" on salem because i was like "I have that". i will start looking though, you shouldn't have tipped me off!

Social source share

What about the Soul Injections on Accent, I know of 4 copies but never see this on sales lists or playlists - apart from Soul Sam and Paul Sadot who have copies.

Mind you I'm in Australia so perhaps it's unknown rather than rare, I'm intersted to know.

this is a well known sweet soul record. rare but not "four known copies".

i think this thread is silly by the way. speculating about the number of known copies of maybe frank wilson, like the most sought after soul record, is even sort of stretching it, but at least it is well known, a motown record, and something that people have been trying to dig up for many years (and even american sellers would know it), and even on that one there's contention about if there's a 3rd copy, and on that there is even a sort of provenance in that there are at least stories from people close to the pressing plant about how many were pressed.

in this thread people are just naming random obscure records that they happen to have heard of. there are literally hundreds if not thousands of records in the same type of random / obscure category as rare as most of the titles people have named here. this thread just contains the ones people happen to think of. most of the records named in this thread are not a "few known copies". I would guess that even for an extremely rare record like frankie beverly that there are closer to a dozen copies out there than "2 copies". It's still very rare. Speculating on the number of known copies of just obscure, not known records, given a tiny circle of collectors, is a pointless exercise. And if it's just a record that you and a few other people you asked about know, how do you know that it's not well known by others? And why do people need the validation of an exact number of copies, if a record is rare and truly never comes up for sale, isn't that enough?

Social source share

this is a well known sweet soul record. rare but not "four known copies".

i think this thread is silly by the way. speculating about the number of known copies of maybe frank wilson, like the most sought after soul record, is even sort of stretching it, but at least it is well known, a motown record, and something that people have been trying to dig up for many years (and even american sellers would know it), and even on that one there's contention about if there's a 3rd copy, and on that there is even a sort of provenance in that there are at least stories from people close to the pressing plant about how many were pressed.

in this thread people are just naming random obscure records that they happen to have heard of. there are literally hundreds if not thousands of records in the same type of random / obscure category as rare as most of the titles people have named here. this thread just contains the ones people happen to think of. most of the records named in this thread are not a "few known copies". I would guess that even for an extremely rare record like frankie beverly that there are closer to a dozen copies out there than "2 copies". It's still very rare. Speculating on the number of known copies of just obscure, not known records, given a tiny circle of collectors, is a pointless exercise. And if it's just a record that you and a few other people you asked about know, how do you know that it's not well known by others? And why do people need the validation of an exact number of copies, if a record is rare and truly never comes up for sale, isn't that enough?

I agree with this to a point but still find this kind of thread interesting. Worth discussing IMO.

Thomas Bailey on Stone is one i've never seen for sale and think is very rare. But I wouldn't speculate on a number of copies.

Social source share

What about the Soul Injections on Accent, I know of 4 copies but never see this on sales lists or playlists - apart from Soul Sam and Paul Sadot who have copies.

Mind you I'm in Australia so perhaps it's unknown rather than rare, I'm intersted to know.

I had this years ago Msgoldie - still got it somewhere. It was Sam who heard my copy. Is it getting played now? unsure.gif Steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert