Common Labels/rare Records.?

Guest smudgesmith

Bernie Williams was issued on Bell. Ginger has one and there is one for sale with Pete French. Bloody rare all the same. How many Billy Woods do we reckon there are? I have one and I sold one about 1985, these are not the same copies. So any takers at a guess?

Edited by smudgesmith
Social source share

there are lots of 70s records on RCA that are extremely difficult to find as stock copies with a different b-side (which always seem to be better for some reason).

Yes and I'd also say Herman Kelly on RCA is pretty hard to find and it's a cracking soul record both sides.

Another 70s one Tyrone Thomas Polydor?

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Yes and I'd also say Herman Kelly on RCA is pretty hard to find and it's a cracking soul record both sides.

Another 70s one Tyrone Thomas Polydor?

tons of polydor and rca titles, some of which i don't want to mention because they're under the radar and i still haven't found them...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A few major labels with quite hard to find rarities.

Hy-Tones You Don't Even Know My Name on Bell.

Jay Traynor Up & Over on ABC. (prob not as rare, but still quite expensive)

Aid.

HY-TONES ON BELL 2 OR 3 COPIES ON EBAY within last 6 MONTHS

Edited by giant
Social source share

Without question the hardest to find on the Loma label are:

* The Soul Shakers - I'm getting weaker (Loma 2047 - issue)

* The G-Clefs - I can't stand it / Whirlwind (Loma 2048 - issue or promo)

It's interesting to note that both of the hardest to find on the label came out one directly after the other! Also, two or three of the non-soul releases on the label are very difficult to get hold of as issue copies.

Social source share

I'd be interested to hear the opinions of people like Steve G on the annette snell issue on epic with "promises should never be broken" on the flip side.

I did recently list it for sale and believe its a very hard issue to find so would be good to hear the views of a long time collector.

Gareth commented he hadn't heard it so that tells me it must be pretty tricky.

Social source share

I'd be interested to hear the opinions of people like Steve G on the annette snell issue on epic with "promises should never be broken" on the flip side.

I did recently list it for sale and believe its a very hard issue to find so would be good to hear the views of a long time collector.

Gareth commented he hadn't heard it so that tells me it must be pretty tricky.

It's tough, I think because she died when the promos were out there. Did you sell it in the end?

Social source share

It's tough, I think because she died when the promos were out there. Did you sell it in the end?

No i've still got it which is no bad thing. Will look to put out a small list later in the month and if something goes off that then this can be kept.

Prehaps didn't sell because its not northern and that seems to be the main target audience on here.

I have read a few comments about some unissued material that was going to go on an epic LP but i've never heard any of it.

Social source share

Guest Perception

HY-TONES ON BELL 2 OR 3 COPIES ON EBAY within last 6 MONTHS

On a label like Bell there should be hundreds of copies, something must of happend to them!!

Social source share

Guest Perception

"Sweet Lover" - Forston and Scott - Pzazz..

Would have thought Pzazz would have made plenty of copies of each release, but this is hard to get!

Social source share

On a label like Bell there should be hundreds of copies, something must of happend to them!!

A number of pretty rare Bell records out there - Jim Gilstrap Run run run for example. Also I think Happy is quite a tough one, same one side as their Verve release but with a different B side on Bell.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Also I think Happy is quite a tough one, same one side as their Verve release but with a different B side on Bell.

I've only ever seen happy as a promo (it has both sides though), never as a stock copy. This wikipedia page says it's just Billy Guy. Also, what's crazier is that it says it also was released as by the "Happy Cats". If that's true that's gotta be super rare.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Guy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I don't really know if this is the reason for the overall rarity, but john anderson told me some story once about a large warehouse worth of bell stock being destroyed.

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Bell is a common label

so where are all the Gerri Grangers ?

Social source share

Sorry I know it's off topic, but don't really want to start a new thread (it's a rare record, just not a major label :) ), but as a matter of interest, anyone else been watching this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mega-Rare-Northern-Soul-45-JOE-JAMA-MY-LIFE-OPTIMUM-45-JOES-BOYHOOD-HOME-/110799765495?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item19cc2e3ff7#ht_3047wt_1219

From Joe Jama's actually boyhood home.

Just thought it was interesting, few other goodies in other items too.

Aid.

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Sorry I know it's off topic, but don't really want to start a new thread (it's a rare record, just not a major label :) ), but as a matter of interest, anyone else been watching this

https://www.ebay.com/...#ht_3047wt_1219

From Joe Jama's actually boyhood home.

Just thought it was interesting, few other goodies in other items too.

Aid.

I love the bit where he says

the vinyl looks the lower end of VG over all lots of hairlines fingernail scratches

but i doubt you will want to play it that often due to it's rarity ! :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!