Just Heard Whitney Houston Died Tonight

Guest Gogs

f**k me.... 48.... no age....

any news how or why....

RIP Whitney.... wot a voice even tho "pop" to most folk....

f**k me.... 48.... no age....

any news how or why....

RIP Whitney.... wot a voice even tho "pop" to most folk....

No details as yet

So very sad

Far too young to be taken away from her family, friends and the public who loved her.

RIP Miss Houston x

Social source share

Guest Sharon H

No details as yet

So very sad

Far too young to be taken away from her family, friends and the public who loved her.

RIP Miss Houston x

Just heard it on the radio on way back from willington....so so sad .....only 48

Social source share

The voice of the 80's contempary generation of soul fans.

Probably not enjoyed in the same way by many on here who are into Northern Soul but an undeniable mighty talent and adored by many in her peak period.

I echo what Ian D said above....another tortured soul and also another premature death. Such a shame.

R.I.P. Whitney.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The voice of the 80's contempary generation of soul fans.

Probably not enjoyed in the same way by many on here who are into Northern Soul but an undeniable mighty talent and adored by many in her peak period.

I echo what Ian D said above....another tortured soul and also another premature death. Such a shame.

R.I.P. Whitney.

She was indeed a mighty talent with a voice from heaven as Mark E says on fb.

Will be missed by millions

RIP Whitney

Social source share

Very sad news. However, can I make a plea to the radio stations and music channels out there? Please stop choosing "I Will Always Love You" as a tribute to Whitney - we're sick of hearing that at every drop of a hat or ruined at a Karaoke nite. There are so many other decent tracks she recorded over the years.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Very sad news indeed. I echo the posts above that she was never really appreciated in soul terms, but did record some great tracks amongst the many pop tracks. Shame it's always the same ones that get played over and over. I do quite like her version of Chaka Khan's "I'm every woman" though!

RIP Whitney and our thoughts are with your family.

Dave

https://youtu.be/H7_sqdkaAfo

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Very sad news indeed. I echo the posts above that she was never really appreciated in soul terms, but did record some great tracks amongst the many pop tracks. Shame it's always the same ones that get played over and over. I do quite like her version of Chaka Khan's "I'm every woman" though!

RIP Whitney and our thoughts are with your family.

Dave

R.I.P Whitney, sad loss yet again, in ref to the above post she also did backing vocals on Chakas version, she loved it so much she did her own.

Social source share

Rest in peace WHITNEY, thanks for the memories....A great Soul singer in my book...And a tragic lesson showing what the baubles of fame and glory can lead to...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes, very sad indeed.

One could also say that, in purely artistic terms, her great vocal talent ultimately went to waste.

Although Whiitney and her commercial masters would obviously disagree with that proposition in light of her massive commercial success.

Instead of the calalogue of pop standards that she will be remembered for, imagine if she had attained all that commercial success tackling the song books of a Sam Dees or Philip Mitchell and with a producer like Rick Hall ?

Social source share

RIP Whitney...heard the news at rugby,very sad news...never a fan but a great voice....apparently died in the bath at the beverly hilton before she was going to appear at the grammys!.....knew her auntie was dee dee warwick but never realised sissy houston was her mum..despite the same surname.. :huh:

Social source share

It is very sad , not because we have lost a great talent . I feel sorry for her family and my sadness for her . My impression was that she struggled in life , she hadn't been happy for some time and one gets the impression that this may have been a release, like many others that have left us early before her.

Being famous and having a great talent comes at a very heavy price, some arn't able to cope with it some are lucky to have a good support structure in their chosen partner , she has never been happy since her split with Bobby it made her very fragile and she had leant on alcohol and perscribed drugs to get her through the dark days.

This may well have been acidental but you can't help but think the sadness before has had a hand in the situation.

Edited by Carms
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Just watching the funeral ceremony on TV. Very Sad indeed. Being famous can be a burden for sure. Expectation is relentless.

Peace at last for a true Angel. RIP.

Ed

I watched it too.

I wasn't intending to watch it all (all 3 hours 45 mins of it !!!) but I was gripped by some of the performances, and the tributes made by her family & friends in this Private service. It was very commendable of Cissy Houston to allow one camera in, she didn't have to, she didn't owe us a part of her daughter, but she gave us that, & I thought it was beautiful.

Rest in Peace Miss Houston x

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!