Gwen Owens "just Say You're Wanted" On Jm Auction

Jim G

I heard that Steve Phylis 'cured' Gary Rushbrookes by applying weight to the tone arm and rewinding it through the section that skips - risky but apparently sucessful. At any rate I bought it from Gary and there were no jumps. I'm sure Steve is on here perhaps he can confirm the story?

Social source share

collecting Detroit I must admit I never heard of that 2nd press story and would like to know more. When were they done, slightly after the first run and in order to replace them missprinted 45s or later ? Is it another case of the artist or producer or whoever re-pressing them years later trying to meet demand ?

Obviously the same stampers have been used so they seem to be "original" ? I used to have a non-jumping but towards the end distorted issue which needed to be faded out towards the end when playing out. I still have a WD thats neither jumping nor off-centre. I am just saying this because JM names three different original releases incl. the WD copies that are off-centre. If my WD isnt off-center I am sure there must be more like that which would add a fourth release of "JSYWAN" ?

Isnt it amazing how stories like this keep cropping up and get a explained half a century after they have been recorded and decades after the first started collecting them precious 45s ? really amazes me, its good!

Edited by Marc Forrest
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I still have a WD thats neither jumping nor off-centre. I am just saying this because JM names three different original releases incl. the WD copies that are off-centre. If my WD isnt off-center I am sure there must be more like that which would add a fourth release of "JSYWAN" ?

Marc - what is your matrix on the WD - is it the 344 matrix that JM mentions, or is it the other one please?

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Guest ruppy

yes was back in 1975 when sam had the first copy of G O,but he did not have it long i was at jonathon woodcliffe,s house the night he handed over £100 pound for it this becoming the first record to brake into the £100 barrier,and as i was still doing my paper round was happy to have a tape recording from him ha ha ,memories

Social source share

Am I right in thinking the jump jumps into the beat (if you know what I mean) and isn't a train wreck obvious jump?

John Manship sold a copy that played like that maybe 4 or 5 years ago. I remember reading the description and listening to the sound clip. 

But I think that each copy skips in a different spot. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

When Gwen O brought those copies to Prestatyn few years ago where did she source them from anyone know ?

As far as I can remember she'd had them since the 60s .. meaning she got them at the time of the release and had kept them (obviously) until then .. in other words a contemporaneous acquisition

Andy

Social source share

he handed over £100 pound for it this becoming the first record to brake into the £100 barrier,and as i was still doing my paper round was happy to have a tape recording from him ha ha ,memories

I think Jimmy Conwells' "Cigarette Ashes" broke £100 in 1972, and James Fountain "Seven Day Lover" went for £150 ish when John Manship bought it.

PLease correct me if I am wrong as in reality it doesn't matter, it just one the many anecdotes form the past....

Social source share

I think the £150 for James Fountian was later around 76ish.............

Dave F

Cheers Dave, it is amazing how lose we track of time. I thought I might be wrong on the JM story even though I was around at the time. But that's time for you it screws with our memories!

Social source share

Wasn't James Fountain played/sold for loads well before Gwen Owens was first played? I remember hearing JF at the Pier and hearing JM had paid £175 for it - don't remember G.O. until much later.

Though my memory isn't all it used to be...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

So what one was used on the mid 70s styrene Monarch pressings,as these don`t jump

so was it done from the later 2nd press or from else where?.

Dave f.....

When Sam played it in the 70s it didn't always skip ... I guess they just played it through to get a good enough recording to bootleg it

Andy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Might be - used to be about getting hold of records you liked, whatever the condition - but if mint records are now trophy pieces for rich people - so be it.

I'm talking about the collectors who collect the sort of stuff JM auctions.Not us mere mortals.

Personally, I love records that have writing on them as it gives some history to them, I don't really care about condition either, I'm not buying them as an investment I want to hear what's in the grooves. Pristine, perfect records are boring and these days likely to be boots anyway.

As for people who buy off JM's auctions, some of them must just be lazy rich people - record comes up so just buy it whatever it costs. Completely hacks me off, not envy but just because its such a shit way of collecting. Look at the price of The Ethics - I want my baby back - who but some lazy rich pollock would shell out 450+ for that?

I might do a mix of my crackly records :-)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Wasn't James Fountain played/sold for loads well before Gwen Owens was first played? I remember hearing JF at the Pier and hearing JM had paid £175 for it - don't remember G.O. until much later.

Though my memory isn't all it used to be...

Yes your right it was £170 for JF,then a few weeks later it came out on Uk Cream label.....

Social source share

When Sam played it in the 70s it didn't always skip ... I guess they just played it through to get a good enough recording to bootleg it

Andy

Cheers Andy,i was going to St Ives from 75 onwards,i know it was a big play there for Sam,but can`t remember if it jumped or not....

Social source share

As far as I can remember she'd had them since the 60s .. meaning she got them at the time of the release and had kept them (obviously) until then .. in other words a contemporaneous acquisition

Andy

"contemporaneous acquisition"  LOL  :lol:

Social source share

collecting Detroit I must admit I never heard of that 2nd press story and would like to know more. When were they done, slightly after the first run and in order to replace them missprinted 45s or later ? Is it another case of the artist or producer or whoever re-pressing them years later trying to meet demand ?

Obviously the same stampers have been used so they seem to be "original" ? I used to have a non-jumping but towards the end distorted issue which needed to be faded out towards the end when playing out. I still have a WD thats neither jumping nor off-centre. I am just saying this because JM names three different original releases incl. the WD copies that are off-centre. If my WD isnt off-center I am sure there must be more like that which would add a fourth release of "JSYWAN" ?

Isnt it amazing how stories like this keep cropping up and get a explained half a century after they have been recorded and decades after the first started collecting them precious 45s ? really amazes me, its good!

This is very curious,I am wondering the same -when were these 2nd re-presses made and by whom?How many were re-pressed?? :g:

And also, did'nt Tim Brown have a W/D that was said to be perfect and played without jumping?

I seem to recollect someone saying he sold it for £3,500.

Yes it is amazing some of these stories that crop up,why would GO actually hoard copies of this particular record,given the complicated pressings saga and the fact it was a commercial flop?

Would I like a copy...? A real one,yes,most definately  :thumbsup:  :yes:  :thumbup:

Social source share

Some interesting debate here .... There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the copy is a 100% genuine original made at the time of release ... I believe it was a replacement manufacturing run given the first batch were faulty and that would have happened pretty quickly.

There is no possibility in my mind that it is a pressing that was done years after. I had one for a while and everything about it was right

Andy

Social source share

Some interesting debate here .... There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the copy is a 100% genuine original made at the time of release ... I believe it was a replacement manufacturing run given the first batch were faulty and that would have happened pretty quickly.

There is no possibility in my mind that it is a pressing that was done years after. I had one for a while and everything about it was right

Andy

You too,left out : 2nd re-press.

Why?

Social source share

Interesting topic, but does this just not show that the OVO debate can now sometimes be taken to ridiculous extremes?

Would you rather have a defective record which doesn't play properly or the legitimate replacement pressed by the label at the time?

The subsequent manufacture of 60s discs was possibly far more common than you'd think at first glance. Last week my brother came round to look at records and only when we closely looked at two copies of Jerry Ganey "Just A Fool" on Verve did we realise that each copy had a different master number (one used copy L85 and the other mint and L85=2).

Is the mint 'later' press now worthless? I'd argue not, but judging by some of the posts above some clearly think that's not the case.

But back on topic: can anyone pin down Gwen Owens to a particular first spin at a 'nighter? The Who and Where would be very interesting to me.

Edited by garethx
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

..And also, did'nt Tim Brown have a W/D that was said to be perfect and played without jumping?

I seem to recollect someone saying he sold it for £3,500.

if thats true -and I have no reason to doubt- its almost answering one of my questions...in that there are more WD`s around that are not off-center and/or jumping. which again would tend to make it most likely to be a fact that there are four different releases/presses around ?  
Social source share

I'm a bit out of my depth here but just because some of the WD's were off centre surely doesn't mean that they all were even on the same run?

Swifty :thumbsup:

haha, no youre possibly not...its just the absolutism used in manships list of releases that clearly states "1. distorted issue, 2.re-press that plays fine plus

3.WD`s that are slightly off-center".. which reads like all the WD around are off-center.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Richard, the matrix reads "SI-C 10003 A SIDE 344" on "JSYWAN" and "SI-C 10003 B SIDE 344" on the flipside.

Cheers Marc

That makes it a JM option 2 then according to matrix details - proving your point I think.

JM auction listing details:

For clarity on the 3 original Velgo 002 presses are as follows:

JUST SAY YOU’RE WANTED VELGO 002 SI-C10003 matrix SI-C10003 matrix first press, withdrawn and destroyed, as the mastering deemed flawed - recording skips.
JUST SAY YOU’RE WANTED VELGO 002 DJ SI-C10003 a-side 344 matrix. Promo copies play slightly off-center
JUST SAY YOU’RE WANTED VELGO 002 SI-C10003 a-side 344 matrix was the “immediate” replacement release with re-mastering which plays correctly.

This suggests there were no demos on the first damaged press that skips - I thought there were?

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

haha, no youre possibly not...its just the absolutism used in manships list of releases that clearly states "1. distorted issue, 2.re-press that plays fine plus

3.WD`s that are slightly off-center".. which reads like all the WD around are off-center.

Phew ! :sweatingbullets:  I don't usually comment on threads of 45's over £14.99 Marc !!!

Swifty :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Maybe some can enlighten me on my copy then, see I have what I considered to be a boot, the person who I got it off said they bought it as an original in the 80's but his record collector friends queried its original-ness and he was never sure and sold it as a boot to me, however would be interested just to clarify so: 

It's styrene, the matrix number reads V0-002-A JJ MR ∆102402

Is it a stone-cold pressed in Wigan on the night boot, or is it one of these 70's Los Angeles Re-presses (or hopefully a long lost original pressing that's worth a few grand! :lol:)

Social source share

Maybe some can enlighten me on my copy then, see I have what I considered to be a boot, the person who I got it off said they bought it as an original in the 80's but his record collector friends queried its original-ness and he was never sure and sold it as a boot to me, however would be interested just to clarify so: 

Is it a stone-cold pressed in Wigan on the night boot, or is it one of these 70's Los Angeles Re-presses (or hopefully a long lost original pressing that's worth a few grand! :lol:)

Bootleg.

Social source share

think thats the 70`s monach boot  goes for around £30

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

I supose it's a replacement and therefore an original this is sticky a mate of mine paid £1,800.00 recently for a copie of the Ivories on wand this is the second issue and goes for far more than the original .It's very hard finding a reasonable level of acuracy as to the value of some of these thing's really regards blah blah.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

If you press a record and it skips..so not fit for purpose thats a reject surely!!....so you rectify the mistake and press the saleble record....which is then offered for sale, that is the first issue

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!