Dj's I Would Love To See Back Behind The Decks

I'm not talking DJ's from the stone age, I'm talking guys who are still around & used to bring summat special to the party:

Andy Rix

Shifty

Gary Spencer

Irish Greg

Ian Clarke

Ion T

Tony Smith (1) only seen occasionally now. 

Colin Law & many more of the old Scottish contingent from the late 8ts - early 9ts.

James Trouble

Karl Heard

David Flynn (In Japan I know).

& there are many more too, I know some have sold up - but there are others who havnt, but for what ever reason are on a break or dont DJ any more (or get asked ?) or have left the scene.

These guys added summat to the scene IMO, some were controversial, some just got on with it, but without exception you knew when you went to hear these guys you were gonna be entertained, educated & came away knowing you had been to a happening.

Would love to see some of these guys make an appearance again with the same enthusiasm & a different set of tunes for today.....

There was some talk a while back Richard Searling was gonna start playing, for want of a better expression, more 'upfront' NS sets....would genuinely love to see this happen, but never seemed to have materialised..not interested in Richards all oldies sets or the kind of Modern he plays now, but a proper diggin deep, in ya face contemporary NS set, I would travel & pay good money for.... 

Will we ever see the likes again at a resonably large Nighter...?

Best Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Yeah, Carl for sure, but I think he does still do stuff ?, but the trouble with these guys is, if they're just being wheeled out now & again, instead of getting a residency at a big(ish) nighter, were they can have half a chance of breaking thier latest new discoveries, then they pretty much have to stay with the tried n tested.  Same with Greety too, top DJ, but under valued.

Dean is one of my all time favourite DJ's ever !. 

Shay Richardson is a legend & its crimminal that he doesnt get more bookings outside of Soton.

So agree whole heartedly.....

Russ

Social source share

Agree Chalky

I'm not really that active at actual soul nites or nighters, I do get an idea from SS on what is getting played and what people are buying

DJ's with attitude and balls were around in abundance in the late 80's early 90's - but from many playlists I've seen on SS , most tend to play really BIG expensive records

Nothing wrong with playing known records, but they don't all need to be worth thousands!!!

The are obvious exceptions on gigs, but on the whole that is what I have seen

Russ - must admit I'd travel and pay money to hear RS play an upfront fresh northern set too - the other guys in your list I'm sure could be tempted to DJ again at the right venue

One for me would be Ady Harley from Halifax (now in Australia) - a man with balls indeed - remember him playing Marvin Gaye "what's going on" in the middle of a pure northern spot when he Dj'd for me at Allanton/Shotts - now that takes BALLS

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I don't care who is behind the decks, I would just love to see some DJ's with some balls and imagination and not play a set of unimaginative "oldies" or records simply because they cost several thousand pounds and basically aren't as good as most £20 records.  Too many seem to chase records others have already played and are better known for the money they spend rather than the quality of their sets.

hey up chalky,really enjoy your set last saturday, billy

Social source share

Les Cockell, Martin Ellis & Tony Jebb!!

End of  :hatsoff2:

'I'm not talking DJ's from the stone age, I'm talking guys who are still around & used to bring summat special to the party'.

The whole point missed once again, what bit didnt you understand........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, oh well another thread f*cked by lazy people who cant be arsed to contribute in the spirit of the thread......so I'll be off then, you can try play nice like... 

Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

'I'm not talking DJ's from the stone age, I'm talking guys who are still around & used to bring summat special to the party'.

The whole point missed once again, what bit didnt you understand........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, oh well another thread f*cked by lazy people who cant be arsed to contribute in the spirit of the thread......so I'll be off then, you can try play nice like... 

Russ

The thread title is :

Dj's I Would Love To See Back Behind The Decks:

So it depends when your particular "Stone Age" was. 

Get over yourself!

Social source share

come on now guys, don't start throwing dummy's out of prams...this IS an interesting and sensible debate, lets not spoil it...i know i'd love to see KB back as would a good many others, but to his credit, he's resisted the temptation and believe me, he could, quite easily...he's got an amazing collection still, i know, i've seen the record room and will be visiting it again very soon...some phenomenal tunes but he just likes to listen to them at home.

Social source share

Keb Darge playing Funk & not Rockabilly.

Wrighty.

Rodigan ( I know he's a Reggae DJ but you did ask for someone to bring something different to the table).

Joey Negro (different again).

Searling but not playing some of the sell out stuff he's playing to the masses at the moment.

Mally from Leeds. Some of you might be saying who but if & when you do see him you'll see a kid who loves what he's doing behind the decks. Breath of fresh air on the Modern scene.

Finally Russ Vickers but only if he plays Innerstate 95 & the alt version of Curtis!!!!!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

One so called big shot Dj bragged to me that he had got 16000 records my reply was try playing them in a one hour spot it's not the jokes it's the way you tell them that matters and its the same with music.great collectors don,t always make good entertainers don,t forget the punters instead of trying to impress other dj,s Simple.kind regards

• Helpful 1
Social source share

One so called big shot Dj bragged to me that he had got 16000 records my reply was try playing them in a one hour spot it's not the jokes it's the way you tell them that matters and its the same with music.great collectors don,t always make good entertainers don,t forget the punters instead of trying to impress other dj,s Simple.kind regards

Im not sure your on the right thread mate, we're talking extremely well established successful DJ's who you would like to see make a return to the decks, not sure what your on about, maybe ya wanna start another thread :thumbsup: .

Best Russ

Social source share

i think  the scenario is what have retired djs got in their collections/boxes that haven't already been heard that are both rare and good...BUT MOST IMPOTANTLY, GOOD, and just for good measure tunes that have genuinely been forgotten about and deserve a revival....seems then that there must be tens of thousands of cheapies that vastly outweigh the meagre crop of "current" mega rareities for both value and quality...you only have to look at people's playlists on here to see the continuity and preference for the journeyman tune.

Social source share

Russ.

Always good to hear from you true Keep The Faither... I would add Russ Vickers to the list on the basis of a good 100 Club set.

Gaz Kellet awesome taste and the tunes to set the floor alight. Dave Flynn has some great records. Likewise Tony Smith #1.

Ion broke some good tunes too. Russ Winstaney was always top dog for me until he caught Mecca Fever and lost his way so he would

be my choice for a free Bank Holiday Redemption Nighter at Wembley Stadium (free CD for the first 100,000 entrants).

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get ya ass back over here Flynster & shake it up a bit....& while ya at it, let me get a cut of TA without the break, it needs to be played my friend, at the moment its that exclusive that only you can spin it & your in the land of the rising sun, think about us poor blighters over here who are being neglected !!!. 

Hope you are well mate

Best Russ

Social source share

Guest BENSON BOY

carl fortnum , dave greet , shay , dean anderson

Good news,

Dave Greet behind the decks again on October 5th at Oxford Soul Club.

Don't miss it.

Maz

Social source share

gary holyman, the silver fox as he's known, great collector, mine of information, a profound ear and has probably influenced many others, amongst them being, the ripolles brothers...im sure jordi and dave wont mind me saying that :thumbsup:

Yep, definitely Gaz. He was and still is a big influence on me, he never ceases to play me a tune round his house that gets my juices flowing, most recently blew my mind with The Singing principal - "Thank you baby" on of all labels UK Action. Absolute sublime stuff. He does still DJ and he will always play a proper connoisseur's set but with an eye on the punters and the dancefloor. Top lad!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Yep, definitely Gaz. He was and still is a big influence on me, he never ceases to play me a tune round his house that gets my juices flowing, most recently blew my mind with The Singing principal - "Thank you baby" on of all labels UK Action. Absolute sublime stuff. He does still DJ and he will always play a proper connoisseur's set but with an eye on the punters and the dancefloor. Top lad!

isn't he doing this gig at walsall wood?, just seen the playlist paul's posted...another connoiseur and unsung hero...and a big subscriber to the mr. holyman appreciation society

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Do you mean Carl Fortnum John ? 

Russ

I've seen Carl out (and in Wickes) and a few others out and about as punters enjoying themselves, bought records from Ian and Shifty and heard a few dj once or twice.

Do they have all the tunes they once had and are they at the forefront/cutting edge or necessarily want to be?  

There's great tunes and good djs out there!

Social source share

Guest Mrs M

Oh you boys make a fuss. Russ, I totally agree with what you said and you also named many lads who never failed to impress. You made a very valid point about what they actually did for the scene, they gave us so many new unknown class tunes over two decades, for me when the soul scene was at it's best. Much of what is played now are records these guys also discovered and owned but have since become big in demand records via more current dj's finally getting to know and play them.

Yes, we have some good lads doing 'the business' but you compare how great nights out were back then to now, it's nowhere near as 'exciting' or atmospheric, there was just something special in the 8t's and 9t's. Money talks these days not like the good old trip to the US where they went out and came back with new 'first time outs'. How many of the current headline dj's play cover ups??? Oh and much of what is cropping up on wants lists with silly prices, many of us bought them for under a tenner 20 years ago!!!

To go back to Carl Fortnum, he's a resident at Grumpy Soul and he'll still be doing the business. I would also add to the mix Cliff Camfield, Phil Wainwright and Alex Jones. And the Soul Twats, what can I say, they kept it real but also had the personality to create a buzz. I am biased cos I married Dave Molloy.

The Scottish Contingency back then could work the crowd with a microphone alone then hit you with superb records, one after another. Bring them all back I say then others can see how it's done, even if it means a few appearances per year. Let's have some passion back. Petition Russ? Lol And I'm not getting over myself, I was out every weekend to witness first hand just how fantastic those days were. Cheerio.

Social source share

Oh you boys make a fuss. Russ, I totally agree with what you said and you also named many lads who never failed to impress. You made a very valid point about what they actually did for the scene, they gave us so many new unknown class tunes over two decades, for me when the soul scene was at it's best. Much of what is played now are records these guys also discovered and owned but have since become big in demand records via more current dj's finally getting to know and play them.

Yes, we have some good lads doing 'the business' but you compare how great nights out were back then to now, it's nowhere near as 'exciting' or atmospheric, there was just something special in the 8t's and 9t's. Money talks these days not like the good old trip to the US where they went out and came back with new 'first time outs'. How many of the current headline dj's play cover ups??? Oh and much of what is cropping up on wants lists with silly prices, many of us bought them for under a tenner 20 years ago!!!

To go back to Carl Fortnum, he's a resident at Grumpy Soul and he'll still be doing the business. I would also add to the mix Cliff Camfield, Phil Wainwright and Alex Jones. And the Soul Twats, what can I say, they kept it real but also had the personality to create a buzz. I am biased cos I married Dave Molloy.

The Scottish Contingency back then could work the crowd with a microphone alone then hit you with superb records, one after another. Bring them all back I say then others can see how it's done, even if it means a few appearances per year. Let's have some passion back. Petition Russ? Lol And I'm not getting over myself, I was out every weekend to witness first hand just how fantastic those days were. Cheerio.

In an absolute nutshell....

Best Russ

Social source share

gary holyman, the silver fox as he's known, great collector, mine of information, a profound ear and has probably influenced many others, amongst them being, the ripolles brothers...im sure jordi and dave wont mind me saying that :thumbsup:

Yep, Gary Holyman - 'A D.J's D.J' (A regular D.J at 'The Den' btw) So much to offer, and not used enough in my opinion.......and he ain't bothered - That's what makes him so great (don't tell him I said that) :wink: 

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Social source share

Yep, Gary Holyman - 'A D.J's D.J' (A regular D.J at 'The Den' btw) So much to offer, and not used enough in my opinion.......and he ain't bothered - That's what makes him so great (don't tell him I said that) :wink: 

All the best,

very modest bloke len, just so laid back, been to his house on many occasion and simply blows you away because you get to think you've heard it all til he starts: "do you know this?, do you know this?, do you know this?"........and you end up with a list as long as your arm!!...the last time i went there i ended up with connie stevens...yes, its a pop record but philly and how good?, and he wouldn't tell me who it was at first!, just kept me guessing. always good for trading with as well. a good many people will remember the double deck set he did with jordi at the very last trentham gardens all-nighter....sublime!, check out the playlist on soulfulkindamusic, totally awesome!...so many folk have learned from him and doubtless, he could do an entire northern set as good as anyone else, never mind crossover, such is his knowledge and how to read the dancefloor.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Im not sure your on the right thread mate, we're talking extremely well established successful DJ's who you would like to see make a return to the decks, not sure what your on about, maybe ya wanna start another thread :thumbsup: .

Best Russ

Why are we always looking back? I agree some great D.J's there, but some have simply 'had their time' and they would be the first to admit it, because it's not a criticism. Gary Spencer - fantastic, but he's 'gone fishing' and I doubt would have the same 'impact' that he did when he was 'on point' - D.J's at their height, is when they are still 'doing it' with the rest of us - Carl Fortnum hasn't really stopped, so (to me) still has loads to offer.

Nothing wrong with 'wheeling em' out every so often for nostalgia purposes, but careful now, or we'll end up turning into the exact thing we moan about!

All meant in the nicest possible way of course :wink: 

All the best,

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I think that though I didn't know it at the time I was privileged to be on the fringes of a really great period in London in the late 90's/early 2ks. You could hear Dave Flynn, Irish Greg, Carl Fortnum and Alan Hanscombe at Capitol Soul, pop down the 100 each month and listen to fantastic sets (heard Russ play a blinder down there) With Ady and Mick Smith filling in :-) Nip over to Scenesville and catch Nick and Dawn with Andy Rix and fantastic guests every month. Listen to Shifty guesting at all of the above and then hit the Dome for more of the same. Keb and Ion ran a few nights under the guise of Londons chosen mass (suffer no fools) which were always good.

I thought it was the norm but it was actually a really special time.

Don't think I'll hear the like again sadly.

Yes, lovely times mate. I have always said to the wife (Nina) that she has been spoilt because she was going to The 100 Club since she was 16 years old, she didn't understand things 'around these parts' (Northants) ,....Yes, very spoilt, and very lucky to be in the thick of The London Scene. I also count myself as lucky / privaliged to have experienced the 90's down there (and across the country) at that time - All very healthy, and not to be repeated, because it wouldn't be the same.

I also loved Ben Summers little event - Shelly's.

All the best,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest DeeJay

I'm not talking DJ's from the stone age, I'm talking guys who are still around & used to bring summat special to the party:

Andy Rix

Shifty

Gary Spencer

Irish Greg

Ian Clarke

Ion T

Tony Smith (1) only seen occasionally now. 

Colin Law & many more of the old Scottish contingent from the late 8ts - early 9ts.

James Trouble

Karl Heard

David Flynn (In Japan I know).

& there are many more too, I know some have sold up - but there are others who havnt, but for what ever reason are on a break or dont DJ any more (or get asked ?) or have left the scene.

These guys added summat to the scene IMO, some were controversial, some just got on with it, but without exception you knew when you went to hear these guys you were gonna be entertained, educated & came away knowing you had been to a happening.

Would love to see some of these guys make an appearance again with the same enthusiasm & a different set of tunes for today.....

There was some talk a while back Richard Searling was gonna start playing, for want of a better expression, more 'upfront' NS sets....would genuinely love to see this happen, but never seemed to have materialised..not interested in Richards all oldies sets or the kind of Modern he plays now, but a proper diggin deep, in ya face contemporary NS set, I would travel & pay good money for.... 

Will we ever see the likes again at a resonably large Nighter...?

Best Russ

Russ you forgot me.........mate

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!