Bob Abrahamian R.i.p

has anyone any experience on this sort of thing regarding sending flowers to funerals overseas ?

good firms to use, quickest methods etc 

I looked into it, though the funeral is tuesday I think it may be achievable

but think needs to be quckly sorted

mike

might be a bit tight for floral tribute,getting the cash in ect but a fund directed to a suicide help charity may be the way to go just a thought 

kev

Social source share

Found this online flolrist beside the funeral home ...https://www.flowerdeliveryexpress.com/send-flowers-skokie-il.html?gclid=CPv16OGf6r4CFWf3wgodx1sAZg arrangements can be made same day within 4 hours .

Funeral home address : Piser Funeral Services, 9200 Skokie Blvd. Skokie.

Any left over monies could be donated here, a Jewish organisation, in Bob's name ? https://www.ohelfamily.org/?q=mentalhealth/depression

Edited by Philly
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Florist beside funeral home is probably the best bet.

(If Interflora still any use they do deliver to Skokie. Can accept orders up to 6 p.m. today and from 7 a.m. tomorrow.)

Social source share

A few days off SS and I come back to this... Very sad news indeed!

Never met Bob in person but communicated many times over various forums over the years.

His interviews with the 'unsung' heros of the Chicago soul scene over the years were and still are essential listening.

Its hard to put in words what a sad loss this is.

My thoughts go out to all his family and friends, RIP Bob  :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Mike has set up a donations tab for floral tribute for Bob .. it is at the top right, thanks Mike ..

Now a thread here

which takes you to a donation  page which has a brief explanation 

best if use that thread for any discussion on the donation side

mike

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest SoulTogetherness

Local collectors and djs have confirmed an open-decks memorial tribute for Tuesday, June 10 at 8pm here in Chicago following Bob's services. 

Details:

The Owl

2521 N Milwaukee Ave, Chicago, Illinois 60647

more info here
Social source share

A legend who i was lucky enough to have a bit of email correspondence with at times.

So, so sad to read that article and the circumstances of his death.

Listening to his last show now..... 

His contribution was immense and his philosophy towards the music and artists was pure. Even sadder he felt that it would not be valued and all the more important to preserve his work as a memorial.

I was especially sad that the article said he didn't think anyone would think of him gone! He knew how respected he was on the scene. Having lost a close friend in recent months it must be an absolute torment not to be able to fight this inclination of taking your own life!  RIP Bob

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I recorded this mix back in early May for the Funky16Corners Pledge Drive.  Today it went public & it includes a few musings on Bob which I typed up only a few hours after learning of his passing.  Ironically it was intended as a Sweet Soul Primer & I had actually messaged Bob while I was recording it joking about how he would be proud of me for finally playing the "correct" sides of these 45s.  Posthumously I dedicate it to him.  Enjoy the music.  https://funky16corners.com/?p=4842

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Very sad news indeed. Before seeing this thread in the last hour Boba was just another expert on here that I am genuinely in awe of.

It's heart breaking that it takes a tragedy like this to bring a person from behind the avatar. My sincere condolences to his family and close friends but also to all those of you on SS who knew him and had any sort of relationship with the man. He clearly touched and influenced many peoples' lives in one way or another.

Rest in peace fella.

Drew. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

As just another person who never met him, and "merely" hugely respected his immense knowledge and enthusiasm, I wasn't going to post on here...

But... upon reading the circumstances around his passing, and how young he was (I always assumed he must have been in his fifties or sixties due to his expertise) I felt compelled to post. My mind is flabbergasted at the sheer volume of information he accumulated in such a short time, and the fact that he didn't think his contribution would be remembered saddens me greatly. Such a shame.

I am hoping that his family will be shown this thread and see the amount of respect he commanded, and the genuine fondness in which he was held in this community. And so my sympathies are with his family and friends at this tragic time... 

Edited by cover-up
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

As just another person who never met him, and "merely" hugely respected his immense knowledge and enthusiasm, I wasn't going to post on here...

But... upon reading the circumstances around his passing, and how young he was (I always assumed he must have been in his fifties or sixties due to his expertise) I felt compelled to post. My mind is flabbergasted at the sheer volume of information he accumulated in such a short time, and the fact that he didn't think his contribution would be remembered saddens me greatly. Such a shame.

I am hoping that his family will be shown this thread and see the amount of respect he commanded, and the genuine fondness in which he was held in this community. And so my sympathies are with his family and friends at this tragic time... 

I feel that way, too.  I just can't imagine how he could have thought that.  I can understand that he might have been frustrated about how little the artists that he met and interviewed were appreciated, even after his efforts.  But he HAD to have known that he was doing some good for them, AND the people to whom he introduced their music.  It's very sad that he may have taken his own life because he couldn't see the good he was doing.

Social source share

Deeply saddened by this. There are so many on here who would have described Bob as a friend yet the circumstances of his death are not ones that imply a world wide network of true friendships.  I'm not the best at just touching base with people for the sake of it, maybe that is a male trait. What I do know is that I wish I'd been closer than the odd clumsy attempt to get some obscure info or to score a hidden Chicago gem.  I really wish Bob could have voiced his feelings in a way that could have avoided the eventual outcome. 

I'm saddened by his passing, sad I'll not get the chance to know him better, sad for his family and a little ashamed that collectively the world is a place where this sort of thing happens all too often.

God's speed 'Boba', I only wish you had known your real value to this world. 

I agree with you that if he had had several true friends with deep friendships, that this tragedy MAY have been avoided (or, at least delayed-but depression is a tricky thing). 

But, I don't think it is fair to undervalue the levels of contact we all shared with him.  It was the most possible, given the great geographical distance between us.  True that those that only had contact with him through e-mail and forum threads, and only talked about their common interest in music were only acquaintances.  Some of us talked to him often on the telephone, and spent short but intense time with him on visits to Chicago.  Then, subjects other than music are discussed and they got to see each other in a different light.  It is true that it might take MANY such trips before people in that scenario could even have the opportunity to become "true friends" who have become comfortable enough with one another to reveal their innermost feelings.  Bob's biggest chance to have someone close to talk to would have been any deep friendships he had with local people, and close family members.   But, even having several such deep friendships doesn't always preclude deep depression from putting the afflicted person in the irrational frame of mind to decide to take his or her own life.  Physical differences in the brain and chemical differences can be involved.

I can say that Bob and I were just "friendly acquaintances".  But, I still feel a big loss.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I agree with you that if he had had several true friends with deep friendships, that this tragedy MAY have been avoided (or, at least delayed-but depression is a tricky thing). 

But, I don't think it is fair to undervalue the levels of contact we all shared with him.  It was the most possible, given the great geographical distance between us.  True that those that only had contact with him through e-mail and forum threads, and only talked about their common interest in music were only acquaintances.  Some of us talked to him often on the telephone, and spent short but intense time with him on visits to Chicago.  Then, subjects other than music are discussed and they got to see each other in a different light.  It is true that it might take MANY such trips before people in that scenario could even have the opportunity to become "true friends" who have become comfortable enough with one another to reveal their innermost feelings.  Bob's biggest chance to have someone close to talk to would have been any deep friendships he had with local people, and close family members.   But, even having several such deep friendships doesn't always preclude deep depression from putting the afflicted person in the irrational frame of mind to decide to take his or her own life.  Physical differences in the brain and chemical differences can be involved.

I can say that Bob and I were just "friendly acquaintances".  But, I still feel a big loss.

I understand your point Robb and I wasn't meaning to undervalue either people's personal relationships with Bob, their sense of loss or judge their level of contact.  I certainly know from family experience that with depression comes irrationality of thought and sometimes nothing you can say or do will help.  I truly wish this wasn't the case and there was a way to help people with depression see the positive influences they have on so many people around them.  The circle of positive influence Bob had is wider than most but as you say people with depression don't see that.  That for me is the saddest part.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Only heard about this early today, having been away from SS and Soul in general all weekend. I got talking to him on here, the same as a lot of us, listened to his shows, got his lists, bought a couple of things, and learned an awful lot along the way.

He had a true passion for soul music, and had learned everything he could about the music, the artists, the labels, every aspect he could, and the knowledge he held was vast.

His first real communication to me was to offer to 'clean up' and improve the sound a scruffy looking record for me, albeit a £300 scruffy looking record, "just pay the postage over here, and I'll do it for you, and post it back" - Had never spoken to the guy before, and he wasn't that well known to quite a few others on here judging by the pm's I got about his offer! Turned out it was as genuine an offer as I'd ever have got from anybody I'd ever known, he was just that sort of guy.

Always enjoyed his posts, even though I had the odd... 'disagreement'! Nearly always learned something new though! This site has lost a major contributor, one that had the time to answer any questions he could, and be (reasonably) pleasant about it, most of the time, too - whether those questions had come from somebody with a decent knowledge already, or someone new, who was just starting on their discoveries.

My heart goes out to his family and close friends, I hope they know how much respect there was for him on Soul Source. 

R.I.P. Boba

Paul

x

Social source share

I ' m sure the Waxidermy forum won' t object to all Bob's show's being linked all 3.24 gb of his shows, interviews,mixes assembled by R H . 

Take a bow - well done .

Everything on his site was archived here today, courtesy of my friend RH:

https://robzilla-beats.com/sittinginthepark.zip

183 shows, 122 interviews, and 3.24G. We are not going to lose this.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest trickbag

Oh boba,

I'm so sorry you've gone,you'll be sorely missed.

condolences to his sister, mother ,father, and grandfather..

R.I.P. BOB.

ricky.

Social source share

Guest kumar303

I just wanted to say thanks so much to all of Soul Source who sent flowers - they were gorgeous and massive and right next to Bob during the visitation yesterday.

The visitation had a huge turn out which of course made the whole thing so tragic. He was a key figure of our soul scene here in Chicago and, as noted in the articles, was the "go to" guy for fact checking and any kind of soul research. He was especially involved with many Numero Group projects, some that have not even come out yet :(

Jake Austen wrote an article which hasn't been posted to this thread yet that reveals more of bobA, the person https://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/archives/2014/06/09/sweet-soul-the-generosity-and-tragedy-of-soul-historian-bob-abrahamian

Like many of you I only knew Bob the collector, researcher, DJ, radio host, and encyclopaedia of Chicago soul. I sold him some records at a local fair once and would see him around a lot. I just wish I could have told him exactly how important his work was to the world. He was a bit shy in person but always upbeat, very positive, and seemed so passionate about life (through the music). I honestly had no idea he was struggling.

His book of glossy photos was on display at the visitation - a truly amazing collection. Pages and pages of Dells, Fascinations, Darrow Fletcher, and on and on. It was heartbreaking to flip through.

It was open casket and he looked peaceful with a penguin tucked into his pocket. So tragic. I just hope he can finally find some peace.

Social source share

both articles are fascinating and insightful, more's the pity that even the accreditors weren't as close to him as perhaps even they thought they were,..that the real man had such tension & anxiety bottled up as to be indistinguishable from his persona...from what's been said on here in the wake of what we know now, a good many of us feel the same, that we see the vital signs when it's too late. hindsight is an interminable millstone round all our necks...but perhaps, when all is said and done, bob's soul was just too good for this world...we REALLY DO never know what we've got til it's gone...as god is our judge, it must be for a greater good..may it be recorded here, amongst all members, that the 5th of june, 2014 be remembered with solemnity.

Edited by AGENTSMITH
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Good grief - how moving. If someone chose to say of me "generosity was built into his DNA" I would know my life had been worthwhile.

He definitely fitted more than one "normal" life into his own short life.

Social source share

Just back of holiday and saw the headline , can't believe it . Like many on here I didn't know Bob but loved his input and sometimes blunt answers , used to make me laugh.

Also his lack of understanding British humour sometimes was classic. What a real shame that he maybe didn't realise what good work he was doing for the scene in general.

Very sad indeed , top man Boba R.I.P matey  :hatsoff2:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest egosheep

So sad to hear this.  I first posted here 6-7 years ago asking about the Commands.  Bob sent me a message and mailed me their discography on a CD-R without asking for anything in return.  Truly a generous and kind soul.

Social source share

• 7 years later...
6 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I Never knew Bob , like some others, but came across this photo of his record collection being "donated"

Clearly a man who was lovely in life and his family lovely after his passing

RIP and much respect

Records.jpeg

I guess like many on here some of my 45's are in the boxes as I sold to Bob over the years. A gent, never really disagreed on price and always a pleasure to deal with👍

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!