Mike

Poll: Version Battle - Way Over There  

1. 1. Which Version does it for you?

• The Marvelettes
    • Edwin Starr
    • The Miracles

This poll is closed to new votes

A new year return for this irregular series

Mal aka @Mal C has suggested the following Motown related song Way Over There and these 3 versions for this the first 2022 'version battle'...

The Marvelettes - Way Over There

Edwin Starr - Way Over There

The Miracles - Way Over There

All you need to do is have a think and if needed a listen below, then just select which version you prefer...

Mal adds 

I didn't realise that this song is an original Smokey song, he wrote it... 

Cool song, very into old Motown at the moment, they are very good, and cheap!! lol

Has any other Motown group done this song, or any other non Motown group...

vote.jpg

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

I think there's two cuts of Miracles track that were issued.

yeah Rod that clips says 'with strings' so I guess thats one of em...

Pursist Motown fans on this one, if thats a 'thing' at all, either go with Smokey,  Rough it up with Edwin, or Shimmy in with the Marvelettes... I don't mind saying I'm with the Marvelettes.

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Without a second of a doubt the Miracles version. But the "rougher" take (flip of 'if your mother only knew') that is not only an alternate mix... And I am not a Miracles fan or even less a Smokey one.

Yet on some of the early Miracles material especially I must reckon that their best tunes works so good to even age with benefits. The same goes for ALL the Marvelettes 'original' material IMO.

Edwin's version is the first one I knew but never really liked. I really liked the Ric-Tic man. Not much after actually. And I've tried. Motown and all doing the other's version is still not my cup...

Social source share

The take by the Marvelettes is just a classic Motown pop song. It's very pedestrian.

Although I favour this style of Motown groove to the earlier stuff, Edwin Starr's take is too close to '25 Miles' and thus lacks originality from him and those involved in the recording, arranging and producing of the track.

The Miracles, on the other hand, offer a take that really comes across in an exciting way as "the sound of young America". Not my cup of tea really, but out of the three it gets my vote by a country mile.  

Unlike the Marvelettes and the legendary Edwin Starr, I can really imagine the sense of excitement young/teen listeners might have had on hearing the Miracles do this track for the very first time courtesy of little transistor radios, car speakers or whatever.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

thanks to all who took part , both in the voting and talking, was some interesting discussion/views etc 👍

final results

1. Which Version does it for you?

The Marvelettes 9%

Edwin Starr 70%

The Miracles 21%

@Mal C as the person who nominated the tracks, have you anything to add?

that makes the most preferred version Edwins...

a new poll be up very shortly 👍

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!