Licensed and Qualified: apparently

Paul-s
Go to solution Solved by Frankie Crocker,

10 hours ago, Benji said:

Paul, you're qualified as a bonafide "Waldorf and Statler" Northern Soulie. Times are changing. Get over it.

Benji, we are obviously so very different in our connection with the scene.

I love the spot on and often hilarious critiques that 'Waldorf and Statler' do, so thanks for the compliment.

I prefer them to the empty headed, narcissistic, wishful thinking of Miss Piggy: which has to be your Northern Soul Muppet character,  judging by the spurious, empty headedness of this post

You seem to never have been a part of anything  "manamana doo doo di do do", so nothing to get over I guess.

Edited by Paul-s
typo
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

I don't think I'm letting any secrets go here, but you don't have to join the 'NSDLPTD'.  If you experimented with Northern soul dancing in the 8ts, that qualifies you for free membership to the 'DDONDTNS' that’s the 'Drunk dancing on the Dancefloor to Norther Soul', in fact anything over 4/5 pints of Adnams would qualify you as a Master/Examiner. 

But pls remember, prices at the Bar, can vary...

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Seems to be a creeping thing in all walks of life, I've seen lots of people claiming to be licensed to paint or draw in recent years! There's seriously a Bob Ross school of painting which does all these courses at different levels, absolute madness. It's not like being a pilot is it? 

But if people will pay, then fair enough no one dies.

Social source share

16 minutes ago, Paul-s said:

yes! spot on....

Nauseating Shi$£ Disconnected Lame Prancing Tap Dance

Its all small home made UK dance groups who make themselves sound official. Like a dodgy plumber or builder uses made up accreditation. Difference is people usually check if the builder is the real Mcoy (Van), a quick search shows nothing for this.

Try tracking down UKAPTD of which the she is a fellow: Mickey Mouse comes to mind. Most of these type orgs ask for a fee and then give you a title, and then you carry on the same route with your students.

Dance Teacher Kenny, the next in line, as Hoagy might say, has an interesting background.

https://www.northernsouldance.co.uk/

Head of Dance is someone called Sharon: its all very Italia Conti, Bonnie Langford misinterpretation of the Northern Soul Scene and its culture

Screenshot2023-12-30at20_32_42.thumb.png.6cc9824c1e2054c60238fb4e4dd0d553.pngScreenshot2023-12-30at20_32_42.thumb.png.6cc9824c1e2054c60238fb4e4dd0d553.png

Screenshot2023-12-30at20_42_31.thumb.png.a1e787f9b97e4110a539674753b15fa7.png

Edited by Paul-s
Social source share

18 hours ago, Bo Diddley said:

Once you've completed the training are you allowed to have letters after your name. This would let everybody know your status.

Perhaps...

"Trained With Accredited Tutor"

The only letters most soul dancers have after their names are SKF

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Back in the early days of the scene we learned to dance just like when we were babies we learned to crawl before we walked and went on to learn how to ride bikes (No Puns Please) 🤣 Certainly Didn't Need A Licence.

We did our on thing as to what we were capable of and observed others and pick up tips.

I was never an acrobatic style dancer but there was (and still is) lots of very good capable  dancers out there doing there thing.

Why do people think having Northern Soul Dance Lessons going to do it for them, just watch and observe dancers at venues and then develop a style you feel comfortable with and possibly unique to you, much better i think.

Any way got to go now....... My Brain Hurts 🙄 

Edited by Rick Scott
Extra bit of info
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Rick Scott said:

Back in the early days of the scene we learned to dance just like when we were babies we learned to crawl before we walked and went on to learn how to ride bikes (No Puns Please) 🤣 Certainly Didn't Need A Licence.

We did our on thing as to what we were capable of and observed others and pick up tips.

I was never an acrobatic style dancer but there was (and still is) lots of very good capable  dancers out there doing there thing.

Why do people think having Northern Soul Dance Lessons going to do it for them, just watch and observe dancers at venues and then develop a style you feel comfortable with and possibly unique to you, much better i think.

Any way got to go now....... My Brain Hurts 🙄 

Spot on.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

No licences should be issued without the passing of a theory test first in any case.

For example: "What is the maximum number of handbags allowed in a single pile for every 12 square metres of dance floor?" 🤔 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I think it's people who want to be famous and well known doing it through the Northern Soul scene....they have not got the nose to find the records ...scrimp and scrape to buy the records....no interest in deejaying (that's too hard), know a counterfeit from a real one (nor are they bothered).....know about the artists......learn a few moves and proclaim you are an expert. Put up loads of videos and get loads of likes and be famous online...you never know some tv company might put you on telly.. I remember a dance teacher called Sharon  about ten years ago at a venue I was playing at said "why are you playing this Modern rubbish? "It was Heart Be Still by Jackie Moore. I then put on Oh Happy Day and  she ran off to the dancefloor. I scratched my head. She had all the moves though and the qualifications. !

Edited by Wiggyflat
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

• Solution

Beware of snake oil sellers with loads of letters after their name. The small number of video clips on YouTube portray Sharon as a vaguely competent Northern Dancer, but she is no expert. Wendy should get her money back or treat Sharon to a night at The 100 Club.

Social source share

My last post or comment on this, northern soul dancing ...It makes your pulse pound, your head ring and your heart sing YES  you CAN learn the moves but when you dance you feel the music, the soul, the spirit of the record and the artist that made it. For me it`s  a moment that transports you to another place in time, when you sang along, splits, kicks and swallow dives or back drops in the breaks and not a care in the world. You can teach the moves but.. you cant teach the feeling, you either have it or you don`t and it will show in the way you dance. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

I was never a great dancer but what I did was feel the music and as Pete says above it does transport you to another place for that 2 minutes or so.

What we see today is over the top dramatics talc thrown about as though it is going out of fashion all for the camera , sad that it as come to this.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!