Most Emotionally Charged Soul Record

Agree with pretty much all of Sean's choices; all exceptional soul records (in fact I dug out the Irma Thomas to listen to today when reflecting on this topic; an exquisite and grown-up recording full of quiet dread rather than overblown wailing.)

Pretty much anything Otis Clay ever recorded has just that bit more emotional resonance than practically any secular singer who's had a relatively long career. For me he is the master of getting inside a lyric and wringing every last nuance of meaning from it without resorting to vocal pyrotechnics and histrionics. His "That's How It Is" was one of the first real soul records I ever bought and it's still a side which pretty much all others have to measure up to. I could pick out any one of his slower records on One-Derful really, but special mention at the moment must go to "Must I Keep On Waiting" which seems less exposed than many of his other releases. The use of melisma at the end is a textbook example of bringing classic gospel styling to a secular record. O.V. Wright could do this effortlessly as well and the comments about Otis Clay could apply fully to him as well.

Candi Staton and Bettye Swann could truly emote at will and have both made a host of wonderfully emotive sides. Denise LaSalle is often overlooked in these discussions and I can think of a trio of mid-70s Westbound things by her which pack as hard an emotional a punch as any one could mention: "Trying To Forget About You", Married, But Not To Each Other" and "I'm Over You" all really have the power to bring a lump to my throat most times I play them, particularly the knee-freezing final minute of the LP version of "Trying..."

A couple of things which wouldn't be immediately obvious in this topic but which really move me at the moment are Bessie Banks's "Aint No Easy Way" on Volt, the often-overlooked reverse of "Try To Leave Me If You Can": a very subtle and rounded soul record which hints at a whole world of emotional experience behind it. The other record is Lee Fields tremendous "Mighty, Mighty Love" on Angle 3. The 'other' use of the "Take Me Back" / "Tyra's Song" backing track and for me the real winner of the trio: a simple, direct and magnificently uplifting piece of writing which Lee really takes to the limit vocally.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Agree with pretty much all of Sean's choices; all exceptional soul records (in fact I dug out the Irma Thomas to listen to today when reflecting on this topic; an exquisite and grown-up recording full of quiet dread rather than overblown wailing.)

Pretty much anything Otis Clay ever recorded has just that bit more emotional resonance than practically any secular singer who's had a relatively long career. For me he is the master of getting inside a lyric and wringing every last nuance of meaning from it without resorting to vocal pyrotechnics and histrionics. His "That's How It Is" was one of the first real soul records I ever bought and it's still a side which pretty much all others have to measure up to. I could pick out any one of his slower records on One-Derful really, but special mention at the moment must go to "Must I Keep On Waiting" which seems less exposed than many of his other releases. The use of melisma at the end is a textbook example of bringing classic gospel styling to a secular record. O.V. Wright could do this effortlessly as well and the comments about Otis Clay could apply fully to him as well.

Fabulous description of Otis and OV's style, Gareth.

I guess you must have been there, at the Town & Country Club when Otis came on singing his tribute to O.V. 'Nickel And a Nail'.

One of the most INCREDIBLE performances I've ever witnessed.

Goosebumps just thinking about it.

Often wonder if anyone ever caught it on video?

Bestest,

Sean

Social source share

OTIS CLAY = I CAN'T TAKE IT

DORIS DUKE = I DON'T CARE ANYMORE + GHOST OF MYSELF

MILLIE JACKSON= I'M THROUGH TRYING TO PROVE MY LOVE TO YOU

THE DELLS =THE LOVE WE HAD (STAYS ON MY MIND)

THELMA JONES = SALTY TEARS

MARVIN GAYE = THATS ENOUGH = IT'S MADNESS ( MENTIONED EARLIER )

BETTY LAVETTE = YOUR TURN TO CRY

GWEN McCRAE= I CAN ONLY THINK OF YOU

Social source share

Guest eedeecee

No contest....Please Don't Send Me Away-Garfield Fleming,never fails to bring tears to my eyes!!

Marvin Gaye -what's going on

Sam Fletcher -I'd think it over

Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes -don't leave me this way

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Last one from me.....Zane Hunter put me onto this.incredible soul music

Lee Jones " This Heart Is Haunted...(Amy)

Social source share

Marvin Gaye -what's going on

George Pepp -the feeling is real

Sy hightower -i know your leaving me

Robert Tanner -sweet memories

Cynthia Sheeler-i'll cry over you

Linda Griner-goodbye cruel love

Hows that for starters sad.gif

Social source share

Great thread, could do a top 100, but here 5 of my alltime favs, in no order.

Marion Stewart, i must be losing you, R records

Tommy mosely, For her love, Uptown.

George pep, Feeling is real, coleman

Don & juan, Heartbreaking truth, mala

Jerry fuller, Turn to me, challenge

Edited by big chris
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Just thinking about this record . . . . it's like somebody put their hand inside my ribcage . . . . and is wrenching my heart from my body!!

Got some radio play here in the early seventies when it was topping the U.S. charts (R&B and Billboard).

But I couldn't buy a copy for love or money.

I think that to this day it never had an official single release in the U.K.

O.K. . . . steel yourself . . . . here it is . . . .

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=SGgNXX0XfVU

MB

Social source share

Just listened to the Lou Ragland "What Should I Do" the incredible power that builds in his voice and the crushing moment where he screams " I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING TO MAKE A GO OF IT"....MANALIVE, that line really turns my wretched emotional state on that long dark path to total despair........

i need to lay down

Why do ya think I got rid of the bugger! laugh.gif

Gotta try and function as best as possible without Lou leading me into a mealstrom of despair LOL......

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Last one from me.....Zane Hunter put me onto this.incredible soul music

Lee Jones " This Heart Is Haunted...(Amy)

Cracker Brett. and you,ve just reminded me of one of the hundreds that should be included:- The Lee Jones lead Masqueraders-I,m an average guy. the flip to Aint gonna stop, absolutely incredible

Kev

Social source share

Cracker Brett. and you,ve just reminded me of one of the hundreds that should be included:- The Lee Jones lead Masqueraders-I,m an average guy. the flip to Aint gonna stop, absolutely incredible

Kev

If you're talking Masq's Kev... and I don't disagree with your choice in "Average Guy" (the flip of my old Mel Britt cover up from 30++ years ago would you believe)... the other side of "How Big Is Big" on Bell "Please Take Me Back"is a perfect 'Emotionally Charged" slab of Soul Music to be reckoned with.

Saw them perform in Memphis last year and they did a private acapella rendition for us!

:thumbup:

Sean

Social source share

If you're talking Masq's Kev... and I don't disagree with your choice in "Average Guy" (the flip of my old Mel Britt cover up from 30++ years ago would you believe)... the other side of "How Big Is Big" on Bell "Please Take Me Back"is a perfect 'Emotionally Charged" slab of Soul Music to be reckoned with.

Saw them perform in Memphis last year and they did a private acapella rendition for us!

:D

Sean

Absolutely Sean, I think "Please take me back" is the clincher, and as you state with "How big is big" on t,other side, what a double sider, was Lee Jones with them Sean last year, was gutted when they did Prestatyn a couple of years ago and the top man was missing, although having said that they were still great but maybe a little bit of seeing the Temps without David Ruffin or Paul Williams type of feeling came over me. I asked one of the other members of the group where he was and I was told he was a truck driver now, tears you up when you here shite singers making fortunes and this amazing talent having to hit the road to make a living.

Best Regards Sean

Kev

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

When I think emotionally charged. Firstly I think Stafford. Secondly Henry Jerome - In Your Eyes. Where does that leave me?

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

I think many factors can add emotional depth to a song including any personal associations you may have or even , as is the case with James Carr for instance, the knowledge of a troubled mind behind the performance. It's very hard to nominate one record so I'll just add a new name to the fine selection above whose honest delivery and tortured vocal moves me every time - Irma Thomas

Social source share

Absolutely Sean, I think "Please take me back" is the clincher, and as you state with "How big is big" on t,other side, what a double sider, was Lee Jones with them Sean last year, was gutted when they did Prestatyn a couple of years ago and the top man was missing, although having said that they were still great but maybe a little bit of seeing the Temps without David Ruffin or Paul Williams type of feeling came over me. I asked one of the other members of the group where he was and I was told he was a truck driver now, tears you up when you here shite singers making fortunes and this amazing talent having to hit the road to make a living.

Best Regards Sean

Kev

Hi Kev,

Lee Jones was back in Texas - driving his truck as you'd heard!

Think there's a bit more to him 'having to truck' than meets the eye though. :D

Got to say, his loss was made up for by the INCREDIBLE Sam Hutchins. The three of em were great - but Sam... oh lordy, lordy!

The guy was out of this world... like watching (and hearing) the Womack on Steroids! (His AGP 45's are well worth picking up by the way if you don't have them).

I've got a tiny bit of footage, shot off my mobile, that I've tried to upload to no avail - if I can I'll email it to ya!

Cheers matey,

:thumbsup:

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

A few that do it for me are

Freddie Parris - There she goes

Roy Hamilton - Heartache ( hurry on by )

Freddie Scott - Mr Hearache

David Ruffin - Gonna walk away from your love

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

WITHOUT A DOUBT(CHARLES BRANDY-WITHOUT YOUR LOVE-BLUE CAT) THATS ENDED THIS DISCUSSION!!!!!!!

Hey Vince.

Good to see you on here. (Mike from Dursley - etc)

I think you need to form an opinion on this one though. Stop sitting on the fence.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Joan, fabulous choice, one of my all time favourites, i'm gonna' be buried with my copy.thumbsup.gif you at Chris M's birthday Sunday ?

Social source share

Without doubt, Winstons - 'Colour Him Father' - you've got love, death, respect, joy, pain, hope and happiness in 3 minutes. Gets me every time.

Oooh now, that is a weepie.

Social source share

Guest sarahleen

terrible tom - we were made for each other - ( i know , i know, again laugh.gif ).

its just ALL the vocals on it . the screaming and the backing vocals

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

A couple that come to mind

Bobby Hill - I Wanna Be With You - LoLo -

Joe Valentine - I Can'T Stand To See You Go - RONN -

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Best Regards Sean

Kev

Personally I think one could include "Let's Face Facts" in the mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LunM8mIhthY

What a group these guys were/are, absolutely superb.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

well even after all these years ............

Barbara McNair - you're gonna love my baby................still has me in bits when I hear it

pete

Nice one.

Has anyone mentioned Barbara Lynn - This is the thanks I get?

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stevejan

No contest....Please Don't Send Me Away-Garfield Fleming,never fails to bring tears to my eyes!!

Thelma Jones Salty Tears

Social source share

just a couple that have stopped me in my tracks over the years

where were you - kim tolliver

what can i tell her - jp robinson

midnight sunshine - soul children ...j blackfoot going berift on this one

teardrops - frankie gearing

how was i to know you cared - doris duke.....I am glad jerry williams knows the 2 albums he did with her are revered in this country

I cant go on anymore - benny latimore

its all in the production and i dont think you could get it nowadays, as rod dearlove said in one article for voices

"you gotta sing as though the sky is crying"

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!