Run A Venue ? Do You Play Ovo?

Wiggyflat

Oh no not again....:ohmy: Answers from the 'Official rule book' below for ya' :lol: :lol: :D:

Please define "Original Vinyl Only"

Why?

Well, what if a record had a local issue in USA, then got picked up by a national label, and, also had a legitimate re release on the national label, or a subsidiary label, are these all "Original Vinyl" or only only the first local label?

Example, Ann Sexton "You've Been Gone Too Long" has 3 labels that I know of, so which one would meet the criteria?

No one gives a monkeys whether it's on Impel, 77 or the 77 repress.

Also, if a record was issued in the UK as 45 (due to demand) and was only available in US (or other country) as an LP track (e.g. Bobby Hutton "Lend a Hand"), the UK release is "original" as it was never released in its homeland, is it ok to play the 45 from UK as "OVO"? Same goes for the Champion etc.

play the LP track or play something else

Also, a legal re-issue of a big rare tune, is that allowed? e.g some of the Kent, Soul Brothers releases? e.g. this: https://www.rarenorth...ve-you/#product

Not at an OVO night. Play the original or play something else

Also, what about records that were never released on vynil and are only on CD as the vaults have been opened? e.g Kim Weston "Two Can Have A Party"

Of course these can be played.

And what about records from other countries, is a record from Japan, Brazil, Turkey, Australia etc. are they allowed to be played as OVO?

Yes to contemporaneous releases from other countries (e.g. The Bottle, Bluesharks etc). Though I must admit I do 'wince' at hearing Al Gardner on Googa Mooga when there are other DJs on the bill with Sepia copies. :lol:

My questions are raised, because making statements like OVO without qualifying the criterion for this is confusing. I am not asking about boots - a boot is a boot, but the examples above are genuine releases of a record where at some point hopefully the artist received something from its original sale.

Lastly, I am not trying to be smart a**e, but instead have raised the question as part of sensible discussion

Social source share

playlists to me are in the main about the persons ego......like to show the world what records they have even down to wether it,s a demo or not errr!! whats that about (request ).....again playlists usually tell me where not to go........Another thing have heard prople say they don,t like this club or that especially clubs that don,t do playlists.......but they constantly ask "what they playing there"....and they only want a playlist so they can buy stuff played at said venue....even though they think the place is crap......NO PLAYLISTS.....IF YA WANNA KNOW......THEN GO!!!

Reason i playlist is to let people who were at venue but have had a little too much to drink or they forgot to come over and look at record for info cos they talking,getting a round in or outside,or they forgot to make a note of info etc.Plus it also lets other people know what the musical policy is at that venue.I don`t make a note of labels cos it`s too time consuming and mainly i not gonna make it easy for other collectors. :wicked: Plus usually i got a phone call or email,pm asking me for info so i get an idea what records `work`.Another reason why i sometimes don`t say over mike what the track is,just to see the response :g: .

I make a note of request so that other guests when they dj at our venue have an idea what is popular(those they do there homework).Or i`ve been requested can you play the red/blue/green label that goes like this..... :D ..So they know what the track is :thumbup:

All i `m gonna say on the o.v.o subject is: if you wanna play boots/re-presses ,that`s fine if you stick to indoors or round mates but not djing out unless you have the balls to advertize it has such.That way people can decide for themselves.

Me personally i only play o.v.o. :thumbsup:

Social source share

playlists to me are in the main about the persons ego......like to show the world what records they have even down to wether it,s a demo or not errr!! whats that about (request ).....again playlists usually tell me where not to go........Another thing have heard prople say they don,t like this club or that especially clubs that don,t do playlists.......but they constantly ask "what they playing there"....and they only want a playlist so they can buy stuff played at said venue....even though they think the place is crap......NO PLAYLISTS.....IF YA WANNA KNOW......THEN GO!!!

I post playlists up and I certainly don't do it for my ego. My playlist would definitely diminish my ego :lol:

I love to read playlists. It gives you a flavour of the night, which in these days of not a lot of spare cash for the majority might help to avoid a wasted journey and valuable finances. It could also stop someone posting on here that a venue was total shite when in all fairness it probably wasn't, but more it just wasn't to their taste.

I usually know what I'm going to get by looking at the DJs that are on. But there could be someone out there you don't know playing cracking tunes.

Post a playlist if you want. Don't if you don't want. No biggie.

Social source share

I post playlists up and I certainly don't do it for my ego. My playlist would definitely diminish my ego :lol:

I love to read playlists. It gives you a flavour of the night, which in these days of not a lot of spare cash for the majority might help to avoid a wasted journey and valuable finances. It could also stop someone posting on here that a venue was total shite when in all fairness it probably wasn't, but more it just wasn't to their taste.

I usually know what I'm going to get by looking at the DJs that are on. But there could be someone out there you don't know playing cracking tunes.

Post a playlist if you want. Don't if you don't want. No biggie.

Think I'm with you on this one Joan-certainly in the dimished ego dept :D .

I can see what is meant by if you want to know-go.

But looking over past play lists helps to give you a feel of the night in question and whether it's up your street or not.

Furthermore, if you don't know half of what's listed-chances are they're originals :P

ATB

Tony

Social source share

Original Vinyl At A Social Gathering Of Likeminded Black Music Enthusiasts & The Rules Thereof - A Poem

OVO OVO!

Thats the only way to go -

You mustn't play a bootleg, pressing or sh!te

Or you'll end up in a terrible plight

Now check your matrix, labels and grooves

Or from those decks you shall be removed

OVO OVO!

All our records should be OVO!

Social source share

Original Vinyl At A Social Gathering Of Likeminded Black Music Enthusiasts & The Rules Thereof - A Poem

OVO OVO!

OVO OVO!

I keep thinking about that show - was it Saturday Night at the Apollo where they would come out wearing a clowns outfit with a brush and sweep you off the stage if you weren't any good?

They should do the same if you don't play originals :lol:

Edited by jumpinjoan
Social source share

OVO OVO!

OVO OVO!

wow.. shakespeare is alive and well :lol:

OVO ovo,

3 dollar bills are a no no no.....

These fakes and pressing just make you sick

Its like the real thing or a strap on "£"k...

Social source share

OVO OVO!

OVO OVO!

i hope that an original poem Joel :lol: man of many talents :hatsoff2:

Social source share

I keep thinking about that show - was it Saturday Night at the Apollo where they would come out wearing a clowns outfit with a brush and sweep you off the stage if you weren't any good?

They should do the same if you don't play originals :lol:

Or theres a massive trapdoor behind the decks and if they aren't proper the promoter pulls the lever

Social source share

Of course lots of places don’t stick to 100% OVO for the following reasons:

· Oldies dos are more popular

· Some of the most popular classic oldies are rare and expensive

· Not all the DJs can obtain the records that people will dance to at those events

· Although there are many lesser known, cheaper originals, the oldies crowd won’t dance to them

The punters don’t care as long as they hear their favourite sounds.

Don’t worry about it. If you don’t agree with this approach, then don’t go and I’m sure the most vociferous amongst you don’t. Get on with enjoying your own type of events.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

· Not all the DJs can obtain the records that people will dance to at those events

· Although there are many lesser known, cheaper originals, the oldies crowd won’t dance to them

Don’t worry about it. If you don’t agree with this approach, then don’t go and I’m sure the most vociferous amongst you don’t. Get on with enjoying your own type of events.

Round of applause for a sensible post.

Horses for courses.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

good balanced post that sums things up pretty well, not that that approach will necessarily be welcomed.......... :D

Social source share

OVO OVO!

OVO OVO!

sarf landan's answer to sylvia plath .....who'd of thought it.

Social source share

The funny thing is that in Europe now it appears that the ultimate aspiration for many people is to play only original records not just at the bigger or medium sized events but also at little pub nights. From a once due to various reasons rather different way of playing soul music in the early 80's up to the naughties, the people appreciate now a rather more authentic way of listening, collecting and dancing to soul. But maybe the general approach and openness to the music and play lists may contribute to that as well as the fact that in art people like to c the real deal at the gallery. In a throwaway society where constant updates, genetically modified fast-food, short term goals in business and politics, shallow media imposed needs, a loss of quality and endurance of so many products as well as the loss of trust in what, how and where something is produced...... maybe a few traditions and a couple of honest values are just good for peoples soul. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The funny thing is that in Europe now it appears that the ultimate aspiration for many people is to play only original records not just at the bigger or medium sized events but also at little pub nights. From a once due to various reasons rather different way of playing soul music in the early 80's up to the naughties, the people appreciate now a rather more authentic way of listening, collecting and dancing to soul. But maybe the general approach and openness to the music and play lists may contribute to that as well as the fact that in art people like to c the real deal at the gallery. In a throwaway society where constant updates, genetically modified fast-food, short term goals in business and politics, shallow media imposed needs, a loss of quality and endurance of so many products as well as the loss of trust in what, how and where something is produced...... maybe a few traditions and a couple of honest values are just good for peoples soul. :thumbsup:

Its been that way for a long while the places i have been to in Spain, Sweden, Germany, France, Italy etc etc... Or maybe its the just the people i know and the places i go...

One thing on talking to folk at the Hamburg weekenders and other places is their lack of need or desire to come over to uk as much, many other places around Europe and worldwide have developed their own quality rare soul events... I have noticed the drop off of overseas visitors in the last 5/10 years.. The internet based record sales makes it an open market now, many younger rare soul collectors around the globe.... Food for thought for uk based promoters and punters i guess..

Also the other thing i was told of late in Germany was that topics washing all our dirty washing in public does put off many people from making trips to uk events... Not sure if its the same on their own sites but again, food for thought..

peace and love xx

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

LITTLE-STEVIE said:

Also the other thing i was told of late in Germany was that topics washing all our dirty washing in public does put off many people from making trips to uk events... Not sure if its the same on their own sites but again, food for thought..

No, it's us STEVE, we've been flashing our underpants in public for centuries mate!.....Look at all them old bawdy postcards and then people wonder why hoodies walk around with their asses exposed lol.... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Spot on, I'm sure almost everyone knows what they are going to get from any particular venue, they also know by and large what any particular DJ will play. Plenty of venues to cater for everyone's taste, just go where you are happy to go and be parted with your hard earned money. If you aren't happy then stay away.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The answer to this post is employ DJ's that own the originals......quite easy really, its not rocket science, but hey, then certain types wouldnt get to DJ would they & that is the crux of the whole thread.....wannabee DJ's who cant cut it at proper venues cos they aint got the tackle & cant be arsed to put the leg work in to find em, probably wouldnt even know were to start.....its just turning the whole thing into a circus !!!...........

Start your own venue, cos no one would have you DJ otherwise, then get similar promoters/DJ's to do a turn at yours for a turn at thiers, that way you create your own little pond where you can pretend you KTF right on soul brothers n sisters........BTW you can then start undermining the real deal, by ridiculing & undermining the original ethos.........creating buzz phrases like 'the punters dont care', 'soul police', soul snobs', chin strokers' & turning other phrases like 'Rare Soul' into dirty words.......

Best Russ

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Lots of talk on Soulsource about originals/Ovo/CD's and a proliferation of venues playing the music.Someone pointed out there was 92 venues last weekend alone.Do they all stick to the traditonal ethos of the scene in playing original records.I know people who have travelled miles to venues to find boots/CD's played.In know one lad who felt sorry for the organisers and gave the promoter his money back and told him to spend it on records.If you play ovo stick your nails to the mast.If you play r&b,funk,latin,northern,rare soul,ska reggae/whatever from originals post here.92 Venues Post On Soul Source.Let's see how many play original vinyl.

Irish Club Western Australia monthly for the last 15 years. First couple of years was basically an experiment to see if it was viable so anything went. From there on it's evolved into a "more or less" OVO venue. Exceptions would be the Twisted Wheel generation whose collections are predominantly 1960s 1st issue UK - all good stuff and it would be a bit tooo elitist to exclude em on that basis. We also have some keen collectors who can't afford anything but reissues and the odd boot - they tend to get offered early warm-up spots. So about 80% OVO including many world class 45s.

Our annual National events I would like to think are virtually 100% OVO, although this depends on the host city and how tightly they control music policy.

Cheers

Pete

Social source share

The answer to this post is employ DJ's that own the originals......quite easy really, its not rocket science, but hey, then certain types wouldnt get to DJ would they & that is the crux of the whole thread.....wannabee DJ's who cant cut it at proper venues cos they aint got the tackle & cant be arsed to put the leg work in to find em, probably wouldnt even know were to start.....its just turning the whole thing into a circus !!!...........

Start your own venue, cos no one would have you DJ otherwise, then get similar promoters/DJ's to do a turn at yours for a turn at thiers, that way you create your own little pond where you can pretend you KTF right on soul brothers n sisters........BTW you can then start undermining the real deal, by ridiculing & undermining the original ethos.........creating buzz phrases like 'the punters dont care', 'soul police', soul snobs', chin strokers' & turning other phrases like 'Rare Soul' into dirty words.......

Best Russ

Have you never thought that 50% of the people who attend events, do's, whatever, don't actually care about the things that you care about so passionately Russ? Although you may find it hard to believe, many people want to go out, have a drink and have a dance and meet old mates, and that is their bottom line, and there are a huge amount of people like this. There's nothing you can do about it because that is just what the public wants. * not necessarily me

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Have you never thought that 50% of the people who attend events, do's, whatever, don't actually care about the things that you care about so passionately Russ? Although you may find it hard to believe, many people want to go out, have a drink and have a dance and meet old mates, and that is their bottom line, and there are a huge amount of people like this. There's nothing you can do about it because that is just what the public wants. * not necessarily me

And the reason they can't do that in a venue that plays originals, is ???

What Russ is driving at-I think- is that the scene has been devalued by so many venues being able to get their hands on so many of the big tunes that have been booted, it's no longer Special.

There are enough DJ's out there with the real deal to cater for this market, why do folk want to water it down, just because they can??

Too many in it for a fast buck

Box of Pressings

Cheap room

Sh*t System

£5 on the door

50+ in

nice bit of pocket money.

ATB

Tony

• Helpful 2
Social source share

And the reason they can't do that in a venue that plays originals, is ???

No you're missing the point - I'm saying that this 50% of people don't care if the sound comes of a laptop. You can't make them attend an OVO venue if they have no interest in the format.

For a lot of people, and I will include myself in this, for maybe 5 years Northern Soul was the most important thing in my life, the be all and end all, but that was f*cking ages ago, I was a young man then and had different priorities. Now I'm middle aged and don't have the passion I had 30 years ago. It's the same for many many people. Their first priority is not Northern Soul or the format that the music is played off anymore, it's their kids and their grand kids, which is why discussions like this make people shake their heads in disbelief that grown adults spend their time arguing with each other over 7" pieces of plastic.

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Irish Club Western Australia monthly for the last 15 years. First couple of years was basically an experiment to see if it was viable so anything went. From there on it's evolved into a "more or less" OVO venue. Exceptions would be the Twisted Wheel generation whose collections are predominantly 1960s 1st issue UK - all good stuff and it would be a bit tooo elitist to exclude em on that basis. We also have some keen collectors who can't afford anything but reissues and the odd boot - they tend to get offered early warm-up spots. So about 80% OVO including many world class 45s.

Our annual National events I would like to think are virtually 100% OVO, although this depends on the host city and how tightly they control music policy.

Cheers

Pete

Personally I love Ist edition UK 60S originals...They are an integral part of the Northern Soul scene's story and people have spent lifetimes collecting them, so I have no problem seeing them played, given their historical context.... :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Best Russ

surprisingly I don't agree with you regarding the original ethos of the scene, it was first and foremost a dance scene, punters liked the elitist feel, belonging to something different, its always been something young people want, so as to carve their own niche, but as for people caring that the record is an original, that has always been a smaller crowd. The buzz phrases that you've mentioned have come about because the majority of people who go to soul nights/nighters don't want to be educated, as Pete has said, they want to go out they want to have a drink, a dance and a chat and have a general all round sociable evening. Listening to records you don't know doesn't work for most and to be fair you rarely find these people venturing onto these threads, so I don't get that what you want is being undermined?

Social source share

No you're missing the point - I'm saying that this 50% of people don't care if the sound comes of a laptop. You can't make them attend an OVO venue if they have no interest in the format.

For a lot of people, and I will include myself in this, for maybe 5 years Northern Soul was the most important thing in my life, the be all and end all, but that was f*cking ages ago, I was a young man then and had different priorities. Now I'm middle aged and don't have the passion I had 30 years ago. It's the same for many many people. Their first priority is not Northern Soul or the format that the music is played off anymore, it's their kids and their grand kids, which is why discussions like this make people shake their heads in disbelief that grown adults spend their time arguing with each other over 7" pieces of plastic.

Ive got a 4 year old Pete, and I want him to have a dad and see a dad who has personal integrity and actually believes in something, yep an opinionated Bstard, you might call me, but OVO is part of that, only a small part, but its essential to me as a person, whatever age I am. Otherwise I might as well give up, say I like X factor, political correctness and greggs pasties, rather than wrights pies, right now!

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

Ive got a 4 year old Pete, and I want him to have a dad and see a dad who has personal integrity and actually believes in something, yep an opinionated Bstard, you might call me, but OVO is part of that, only a small part, but its essential to me as a person, whatever age I am. Otherwise I might as well give up, say I like X factor, political correctness and greggs pasties, rather than wrights pies, right now!

I'm sure he really cares. :unsure: I've got a 5 year old who likes playing the Joe 90 theme on a Casino Classics blue vinyl record. It's the only record he likes. I wouldn't let him play the Pye original.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

This I get, and recognising that playing OVO is only a small part of integrity, couldn't agree more :thumbsup:

Social source share

I reckon we'll have to face it.

There will never be a resolution.

As long as people can buy the big tunes for pennies they will continue to put on, imo, substandard events to cash in on the nostalgia scene.

As I pointed out in another thread in one weekend alone there were 92 do's, often 3 or 4 within half an hour or so of each other,was each one so much better than the other that it just had to go ahead ??

If that was whittled down to the places that had, for want of a better word, integrity. would Joe Punter have been worse off.??

Could he not dance, drink, meet mates??-chances are he'd meet more of 'em.

Might hear the odd one or two things he didn't know, but liked.

As well as hearing some he knew but didn't like.

Most of us who voted recently said that we like to hear a mixture of sounds.

As I said, the Cash In merchants have a lot to answer for.

ATB

Tony

Edited by tonyp
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I'm sure he really cares. :unsure: I've got a 5 year old who likes playing the Joe 90 theme on a Casino Classics blue vinyl record. It's the only record he likes. I wouldn't let him play the Pye original.

This I get, and have a couple of pressings that my 5 year old plays cos I won't let him near the originals.

This whole thread isn't about integrity, it's about entertainment, and what types of venues you'd attend according to their "entertainment" policy.

I can't understand how going to OVO nights only gives you more integrity than someone who only goes out occasionly, only goes out for a good time, a beer, and to have a chat with people they don't see very often, and only wants to hear the "sounds" they know and love.

As it happens, I love this scene of ours and I only seem to go to OVO events, but I don't think that makes me a better person than a person who loves the music, but doesn't.

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

i see your point pete, to be fair most of those with the opinion that boots etc are ok dont come on here and make their voices heard for exactly the reasons you state...it doesnt matter to them particularly. Seems to me that yet again this is going round and round in circles with the same 20 or so people getting into a discussion to which we all know the answer and if we dont by now then perhaps we should go back to page one and start reading all over again (or just start another thread asking the same question, just to be sure :thumbup: )

Social source share

This I get, and have a couple of pressings that my 5 year old plays cos I won't let him near the originals.

This whole thread isn't about integrity, it's about entertainment, and what types of venues you'd attend according to their "entertainment" policy.

I can't understand how going to OVO nights only gives you more integrity than someone who only goes out occasionly, only goes out for a good time, a beer, and to have a chat with people they don't see very often, and only wants to hear the "sounds" they know and love.

As it happens, I love this scene of ours and I only seem to go to OVO events, but I don't think that makes me a better person than a person who loves the music, but doesn't.

Alleluyah!

Social source share

i see your point pete, to be fair most of those with the opinion that boots etc are ok dont come on here and make their voices heard for exactly the reasons you state...it doesnt matter to them particularly. Seems to me that yet again this is going round and round in circles with the same 20 or so people getting into a discussion to which we all know the answer and if we dont by now then perhaps we should go back to page one and start reading all over again (or just start another thread asking the same question, just to be sure :thumbup: )

You're right, that 50% aren't interested in soul forums at all, let alone records and labels.

It's such a boring, overdone thread, no wonder people get fed up reading the same thing over and over again.

Half the people don't care about OVO and the ones that do should surely know which venues to pick to hear their music from original vinyl only, shouldn't they?

Social source share

surprisingly I don't agree with you regarding the original ethos of the scene, it was first and foremost a dance scene, punters liked the elitist feel, belonging to something different, its always been something young people want, so as to carve their own niche, but as for people caring that the record is an original, that has always been a smaller crowd. The buzz phrases that you've mentioned have come about because the majority of people who go to soul nights/nighters don't want to be educated, as Pete has said, they want to go out they want to have a drink, a dance and a chat and have a general all round sociable evening. Listening to records you don't know doesn't work for most and to be fair you rarely find these people venturing onto these threads, so I don't get that what you want is being undermined?

This is way more complicated as to what the original ethos was.

The elitism hung on the music. In those early days there wasn't the wealth of product available either legally or illegally as there was by the later 70's. And even if there were such as Soul Sounds and OOTP early pressings, what was popular was what the dj's were playing and what they didn't play was records that had become available. There was no timelag scene running concurrently with the main scene. The Sweet Things was filling dancefloors when it was OVO not when it was on a boot. Something equally immediate and ear-catching had taken it's place.

But OVO was not sacrosanct like today. The price would plummet once a 45 was booted. The majority would want to hear and own what they heard on a Saturday night not a year last Tuesday. No different really from the way the Top Twenty Charts operated in the outside world. It was still a social scene for meeting mates etc with it's own soundtrack but it didn't remain static. And enjoying oneself wasn't viewed as an education if a new 45 was played. Just seemed to blend in.

I think the question is when did this stop happening for most? It certainly seemed to work for most up until IMO Mr M's opened.

For those who champion OVO I'd say you've actually missed part of the equation. It's gotta be good which is subjective I admit but as a lot of the comments are aimed at the "Exus Trek" loving oldies crowd then you can't be surprised if some playlists which are somewhat removed from the classic sound do not attract that clientelle.

ROD

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You're right, that 50% aren't interested in soul forums at all, let alone records and labels.

It's such a boring, overdone thread, no wonder people get fed up reading the same thing over and over again.

Half the people don't care about OVO and the ones that do should surely know which venues to pick to hear their music from original vinyl only, shouldn't they?

Not necessarily, for example that recent nighter at Derby which I missed; back room I'd expect OV deffo, main room I'm not too sure given that some of the DJs were local Soul Night DJs (not saying these play boots etc - just that I don't know). But given its a nighter you'd expect OV - so not that clear cut. So it helps if those that don't play OV let us know so we can make a choice. That simple for me - why hide it.

Social source share

Slightly off topic, but here goes...

There have been a fair few posts on here in the past saying "vote with your feet". In other words if you're not happy with an event, don't return. Yes, you could speak with the promoter, but as always the other comments made are about the promoters right to have the music they like, whether that be rare/underplayed/oldies/crossover/latin and whatever other phrase you want to add, The promoters right to persist in the direction that they want to take, regardless of what the "so-called" punter wants, some of these promoters are held up to be the torch bearers and the way forward. Yet when on occasions these events close, there seems to be an out-pouring of grief that they've in someway failed, due to lack of numbers, it's the oldies crowd fault. Normally, because they are blinkered, not willing to listen to anything new, blah, blah, blah. Yet going back to the beginning again "vote with your feet."

I don't really know what I'm attempting to say, but I'm just fed-up to the back teeth with these constant bl**dy ovo/boots threads. If as people keep saying " I know where boots are played, such & such event had a Dj playing boots, I know that dj doesn' own originals, etc" If as people imply these so-called villians should be ridiculed or exposed, then why don't you put up or shut up?

Me personally, the only time I've gone upto the decks to have a look at a record, is to see what the tune is. As for what type of event I attend and the reasons for it, well that is my business and no-one elses!

Whilst I'm having a rant, another issue I wish to take umbrage with. The stance some take with regards records on the Kent (Ace) label. It's ok to play say a 100 Club anniversary single of a previously unreleased track, but not ok to play a straight forward Kent release (for arguements sake - Melba Moores, Magic Touch). Yet Ady Croasdell has stated on this site that the 100 Club releases are in someway promotional copies and no dues are paid on them, yet dues are paid on the standard releases & CD's these help to promote (I apologise if I'm wrong on this point). So why should a dj who plays the Kent release (which they have bought new from a dealer) of say Tobi Lark, in which royalties are paid to the appropriate people (artist/writers/etc), be made out to be a phoney because he hasn't got an original piece of Topper vinyl spinning on the decks? Also many other great tracks released on the Kent label and royalties paid, yet I don't see too many on here willing to take pot-shots at Ady and others at ACE for undermining their scene with the re-issue of these records. No, because Ady (and others like him) have done great things for this scene, the magnificent Kent albums, 6T's allnighters and Cleethorpes weekenders to name, but 3.

Anyway don't forget, Keep the Faith!

Social source share

Not necessarily, for example that recent nighter at Derby which I missed; back room I'd expect OV deffo, main room I'm not too sure given that some of the DJs were local Soul Night DJs (not saying these play boots etc - just that I don't know). But given its a nighter you'd expect OV - so not that clear cut. So it helps if those that don't play OV let us know so we can make a choice. That simple for me - why hide it.

This I agree with - if it's a nighter, it should be OVO. My point has always been that at local soul nights, handbag nights etc, it makes not a lot of difference.

Social source share

The stance some take with regards records on the Kent (Ace) label. It's ok to play say a 100 Club anniversary single of a previously unreleased track, but not ok to play a straight forward Kent release (for arguements sake - Melba Moores, Magic Touch). Yet Ady Croasdell has stated on this site that the 100 Club releases are in someway promotional copies and no dues are paid on them, yet dues are paid on the standard releases & CD's these help to promote (I apologise if I'm wrong on this point). So why should a dj who plays the Kent release (which they have bought new from a dealer) of say Tobi Lark, in which royalties are paid to the appropriate people (artist/writers/etc), be made out to be a phoney because he hasn't got an original piece of Topper vinyl spinning on the decks? Also many other great tracks released on the Kent label and royalties paid, yet I don't see too many on here willing to take pot-shots at Ady and others at ACE for undermining their scene with the re-issue of these records.

Anyway don't forget, Keep the Faith!

Good point, and the reality is that the people who play the legal reissues where relevant royalties are paid probably have more "integrity" than those playing the originals that probably came out of unsold warehouse stock, and have been bought 2nd hand, where no royalties were paid to the artists!

Social source share

i am sorry to say 2/3 of the posters on here a flogging a dead horse the poeple you're digging at regard you all as overbearing dictatorial know-it-alls that they will ignore regardless of what rules you think you can impose upon the soul scene...as i said on the first page of this thread i was called a soul nazi just for broaching the subject with a friend who DJ's for these non-ovo events..i collect what i want ,if i ever DJ I know what i'll be playing but i have come to the conclusion that in the grand scheme of things it aint that important if i play originals and the guy before or after plays boots..

atb dave t

Social source share

There appears to be quite a lot of posts, on this page in particular, that are laying the blame for this on the punters. By using the excuse that they don't care. It isn't the punters that play the records or organise the event. If there's blame to be attached to it, it lies firmly at the feet of the promoters and dj's. Regardless of what the punters want to dance to, it is the dj that spins the record (or puts the cd on or even double-clicks the mp3 :wicked: ). And it is the promoter that encourages thus.

So let's not start knocking the unsuspecting punters for creating this situation, who are afterall, just out for a good night.

I reckon we'll have to face it.

There will never be a resolution.

As long as people can buy the big tunes for pennies they will continue to put on, imo, substandard events to cash in on the nostalgia scene.

ATB

Tony

Unfortunately, you are correct with this Tony.

Social source share

:hatsoff2: Hello to Ali the children who's Mummy & Daddy are in the 50% of we just want to go out and have a god night, and only moan at the cost of finding a baby sitter, in case the cheap one niks some of daddy's bootleg records, Don't forget Boys & Girls to tell them when you get a bit older, Granddad DAVE said, when you die, it would of been better to lEAVE SOME original rare records, than a pile of worthless Bootlegs, What kind of inheritance is that to leave? a real soul brother or sister would not have wasted my Sweet money and left us alone with a baby sitter while pretending to all-nighter goers, It was all a front for you to get stoned! "that's what Granddad Dave said!

Now close your eyes you tight fisted f**ker and thanks for nothing' GOOD NIGHT CHILDREN EVERY WHERE, GOOD NIGHT :g:

:thumbsup: DAVES AUTO EGO :huh:

Social source share

:hatsoff2: Hello to Ali the children who's Mummy & Daddy are in the 50% of we just want to go out and have a god night, and only moan at the cost of finding a baby sitter, in case the cheap one niks some of daddy's bootleg records, Don't forget Boys & Girls to tell them when you get a bit older, Granddad DAVE said, when you die, it would of been better to lEAVE SOME original rare records, than a pile of worthless Bootlegs, What kind of inheritance is that to leave? a real soul brother or sister would not have wasted my Sweet money and left us alone with a baby sitter while pretending to all-nighter goers, It was all a front for you to get stoned! "that's what Granddad Dave said!

Now close your eyes you tight fisted f**ker and thanks for nothing' GOOD NIGHT CHILDREN EVERY WHERE, GOOD NIGHT :g:

:thumbsup: DAVES AUTO EGO :huh:

I pity the kids if you're the f*cking babysitter :lol:

"no you can't watch that episode of Magic Roundabout, it's been overdubbed, it's not the original"

Social source share

i am sorry to say 2/3 of the posters on here a flogging a dead horse the poeple you're digging at regard you all as overbearing dictatorial know-it-alls that they will ignore regardless of what rules you think you can impose upon the soul scene...as i said on the first page of this thread i was called a soul nazi just for broaching the subject with a friend who DJ's for these non-ovo events..i collect what i want ,if i ever DJ I know what i'll be playing but i have come to the conclusion that in the grand scheme of things it aint that important if i play originals and the guy before or after plays boots..

atb dave t

Cause it isn't,,,unless you've just spent 200 on an original that you're proud to own,maybe even took time to track down,then the guy before you drops his £10 boot of it just as you sort you plays out...luvverly....

Social source share