Which Northern Record Do You Want Played At Your Funeral?

Guest MrC

Which Northern Record do you want played at your funeral?

I've told all of my kids that I want Alexander Patton "A lil loving sometimes" played at my funeral as my main song. There are a couple of other things on the list too.. records to be playing as people come in etc, but as I want to be cremated, It's the Alexander Patton I want to be played LOUD just before/as I dissapear behind the curtain/door to the "hot room"

Just wondering if anyone else had made this decision or what songs you'd pick.

Cheers,

Paul

Social source share

Guest soulboy1965

I've already done my will and Pachebel's Canon will be playing as peeps file in, followed by Barber's Adagio for Strings and then as my coffin passes through the curtain it's Dean Parrish - I'm On My Way. Always has been this choice and all my family & friends know :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest soul elite

I have told Hubby if he goes before me then I'll put his ashes in a talc bottle and dance on them at his favourite allniter...How cool would that be?

Social source share

I have told Hubby if he goes before me then I'll put his ashes in a talc bottle and dance on them at his favourite allniter...How cool would that be?

Better than dancing on his grave I'd say!

I've already done my will and Pachebel's Canon will be playing as peeps file in, followed by Barber's Adagio for Strings

On that side, probably Faure's requiem for me...

Social source share

I've had three funeral songs picked out for a good while. There's no Northern, but to me they are very 'soulful' in their own way. I want people to cry lots when I die. So, my choices are designed to stir the emotions in the employees of the funeral home who will probably be the only people in attendance. :thumbup:

1. Lullaby (Nana) - Manuel De Falla (Spanish composer). Sung by Soprano Marilyn Horne, this beautifully poignant and emotionally moving song comes with a large helping of mournful melancholy that is guaranteed to get them in the 'mood'.

2. Greensleeves - Coleman Hawkins. An odd choice for a funeral? Give it a listen and you'll see where I'm coming from. Saxophone legend Hawkins turns an overplayed oldie into a thing of beauty, one that cannot help but touch the soul. Coming straight after 'Lullaby', even the hardest of hearts will have melted and lips will begin to tremble. They'll be missing me about now.

3. The Lord's Prayer - Mahalia Jackson. Specifically, her live performance from the Newport Jazz Festival 1958. About 30 seconds into this track, mourners will be moved from the carefully manipulated sadness to uncontrollable spiritual overflow. Hankies will be out now and (hopefully) some wailing will accompany the weeping. At this point they are in the palm of my hand and, being so deeply moved, will realise the depth of their loss and recall for as long as they live what a great guy I really was. :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I was going to go for The Burning Bush 'Keeps On Burning. ;0)

Robbie Lawson - Burning sensation or Jimmy Mack - My World is on Fire could be choices for a cremation too.

Social source share

"In this world that spins around

I've been up and I've been down

I have pounded every street

'Till my heart cries to my feet

But somewhere I know there's room for me

I don't owe this world a dime

Paid for every breath of time

Love has smiled and love has frowned

Love has run me to the ground

But somewhere I know there's room for me"

Jesse Davis "There's room for me" Revere

..... and if I still have the record I want it chucked in the coffin with me :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ah, women....They walk all over us in life and then..................................... :thumbup:

Social source share

WILLIE HUTCH 'love runs out'...

SAM WILLIAMS 'Love slipped thru my fingers'....

EDWIN STARR...'I have faith'.....

This will be in approx 46 years time I have decided so hopefully somebody else will still be around to play them... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

I've told all of my kids that I want Alexander Patton "A lil loving sometimes" played at my funeral as my main song. There are a couple of other things on the list too.. records to be playing as people come in etc, but as I want to be cremated, It's the Alexander Patton I want to be played LOUD just before/as I dissapear behind the curtain/door to the "hot room"

Cheers,

Paul

Got to be AP - my absolute all time favourite. Lucky to DJ at Prestwich when he appeared. Got my US copy and UK issue and demo sleeves signed ( not on the labels!!) :thumbsup:

Mrs B - Any Day Now - Chuck Jackson

Social source share

Big Maybelle - "Oh lord,what are you doing to me".

On a lighter note maybe,The Jam - "Going Underground",or John Davis Orch - "Up jumped the devil".

Sadly a friend of mine passed away a few weeks ago, he was buried, on the coffin was a can of Guiness, at the side of the grave was a tape machine and as the coffin was lowered into the grave the The Jam - "Going Underground" played from the tape deck, it just added a touch of humor to a sad day.

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Cheers,

Paul

that could all go arse end when they flip you over to play your best side :rofl:

Social source share

Not Northern as such, but a great soul version of a classic that will hopefully have 'em all blubbing like babies when the following 4 lines kick in @ 1min 52secs...

"Lord, I gets weary"

"And I'm sick of trying"

"I'm tired of living"

"Oh, but I'm so scared of dying"

Followed by a recording of a self composed fanfare of my own farts to the tune of "Gone with the wind is my love".............been working on it for a while but I keep end up following through about 2/3 of the way in.....

:huh:

:ohmy:

:glare:

:D

Edited by Mace
Social source share

don't think i'll have anything northern, maybe some sad soulful ballad, but me mam had the usual hymn,abide with me but left us with that gracie fields song , wish me luck as you wave me goodbye , she wanted a smile on everyones face as she left us, hope iv'e got plenty of time left yet to choose mine.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!