Most Soulful Record

Guest brummiemick

Guest brummiemick

At the beginning of David Nowell's book The Story of Northern Soul (or is Too Darn Soulful?!?) he describes hearing for the first time a song (can't remember which) as he was driving that made the hairs on his neck stand and being so overcome was forced to stop the car. Although neither rare or Northern the song Hey Girl by Freddie Scott has a similar effect on me not matter how many times I have listened to it.

At times Freddie's voice is almost breaking and for me it is the most soulful record ever www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBoNypiuft8

Which songs do other members consider to be the most soulful?

Edited by brummiemick
Social source share

Good call. A few do it for me

4 Tops Shake me wake me. When Levi sings "And as the tears streamed down my face" STUNNING.

Idle Few People thats why.

Most of Linda Jones records.

Mel Britt. I think its the little ad libs and the strings.

Finally one that I play. Bobby Womack Cant you hear the children calling from the Womagic LP. Wonderfull, enigmatic, fantastic. Try and find it on You tube if you dont know it.

Steve Foran

Social source share

Sam Dees"whats it gonna be",for me the best soul song ever,with the best opening line,superb production,need i say more?.My top rare soul track to hear at a venue is Emory and the dynamics"things that a lady aint supposed to do",harmonies,beats,breaks,all the right ingredients,and rarity too,so it wont be done to death

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

James Carr - Dark End Of The Street, job done...

Absolutly John this is my favorite soul record of all time it's enough to make a hard man cry.I was told that it was about a white woman and a black guy in love with each other living in a racist southern American town not daring to greet each other in pulic ect.Then i was told that it was about two married people commiting adultry either way it's one hell of an emotion bomb although sung from a totured soul as well , James was being treated for some sort of mental problem and i read that he was a big drinker and dope smoker probably suffered from what now is refered to as cannabis psycohsis great shame the man would have been massive not too sure if he took his own life in the end.I supose it's another example of tortured soul projection by song .Regards Simon.

Social source share

Absolutly John this is my favorite soul record of all time it's enough to make a hard man cry.I was told that it was about a white woman and a black guy in love with each other living in a racist southern American town not daring to greet each other in pulic

To me....it seems to be the anthem...to that elicit love affair...loving someone soo deeply..but not being able to show it ..for what ever reasons....heart tugging....emotive....just sublime.....wonderful piece of soul which sums up..that situiation succintly...Del...xxxx

Then i was told that it was about two married people commiting adultry either way it's one hell of an emotion bomb although sung from a totured soul as well , James was being treated for some sort of mental problem and i read that he was a big drinker and dope smoker probably suffered from what now is refered to as cannabis psycohsis great shame the man would have been massive not too sure if he took his own life in the end.I supose it's another example of tortured soul projection by song .Regards Simon.

Social source share

For me.....All I Do...Tammi Terrill...everything a soul record should be....3:00 minutes of pure soul.wriiten by the then 16 year old Steviie Wonder.....when yer think all yer get outaa some 16 year olds past and now very present..what a fooking talented young man he was gifted as .....Del...xxxxx

Social source share

Absolutly John this is my favorite soul record of all time it's enough to make a hard man cry.I was told that it was about a white woman and a black guy in love with each other living in a racist southern American town not daring to greet each other in pulic ect.Then i was told that it was about two married people commiting adultry either way it's one hell of an emotion bomb although sung from a totured soul as well , James was being treated for some sort of mental problem and i read that he was a big drinker and dope smoker probably suffered from what now is refered to as cannabis psycohsis great shame the man would have been massive not too sure if he took his own life in the end.I supose it's another example of tortured soul projection by song .Regards Simon.

According to wikipedia (which is often wrong)...

Written by Penn, a professional songwriter and producer, and Moman, a session guitarist at Phil Spector's Gold Star Studio, the song is the lament from an adulterer to his illicit lover, told from the adulterer's point of view. They continue their sin, "hiding in shadows where [they] don't belong" because their "love keeps coming on strong." At the climax of the song, the narrator fears "they're gonna find us some day."

In the summer of 1966, while a DJ convention was being held in Memphis, the song was written in about thirty minutes. Penn and Moman were cheating while playing cards with Florida DJ Don Schroeder.They wrote the song while on a break. "We were always wanting to come up with the best cheatin' song. Ever," Penn said. The duo went to the hotel room of Quinton Claunch, another Muscle Shoals alumnus, and founder of Hi records, to write. Claunch told them, "boys, you can use my room on one condition, which is that you give me that song for James Carr. They said I had a deal, and they kept their word."

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Don't know about the most soulful ever we have a wealth of material to go at but these two never fail to move me Betty Lavette - Your Turn To Cry and the ultimate wrist slasher Doris Duke - I Don't Care Anymore taken from my all time fave lp I'm A Loser.

Edited by shinehead
Social source share

According to wikipedia (which is often wrong)...

Written by Penn, a professional songwriter and producer, and Moman, a session guitarist at Phil Spector's Gold Star Studio, the song is the lament from an adulterer to his illicit lover, told from the adulterer's point of view. They continue their sin, "hiding in shadows where [they] don't belong" because their "love keeps coming on strong." At the climax of the song, the narrator fears "they're gonna find us some day."

In the summer of 1966, while a DJ convention was being held in Memphis, the song was written in about thirty minutes. Penn and Moman were cheating while playing cards with Florida DJ Don Schroeder.They wrote the song while on a break. "We were always wanting to come up with the best cheatin' song. Ever," Penn said. The duo went to the hotel room of Quinton Claunch, another Muscle Shoals alumnus, and founder of Hi records, to write. Claunch told them, "boys, you can use my room on one condition, which is that you give me that song for James Carr. They said I had a deal, and they kept their word."

OOh but i like the romance of that tale tho... :) ......but then ..i am a weak girlie.... :D ..ha ha haaa...xxx

Social source share

Had A rethink on this and have decided its not the Drifter!!

Unlike most of you's it seems in terms of the best version, but i think it's Doni Burdick not Edwin Starr's version of "I Have Faith In You" that is THE most soulful record there is and that you can boogie to as well.

Social source share

First time I heard Cody Black Mr Blue, that was the moment of no return, just the 1st time a record hit me in such an emotional way cant really describe it just did I guess

Social source share

Freddie Norths version of 'Oh lord, what are you doing to me' pretty much hits the spot for me.

Not a dancer by any means, but a heart wrenching ballad and vocally way better than Big Maybelles version (imo)...

Give me a heart wrenching ballad before a dancer any day of the week fabulous tune :)

Social source share

Freddie Norths version of 'Oh lord, what are you doing to me' pretty much hits the spot for me.

Not a dancer by any means, but a heart wrenching ballad and vocally way better than Big Maybelles version (imo)...

Check-out a song called Good Times by him its on U Tube
Social source share

Sam Cooke is a top shout Chalks, along with Syl Johnson 'is it because I'm black' which still makes me go goosey every time I hear it.

'Northern'-wise it'd have to be Bros of Soul 'I'd be grateful' :D Lyrics make you melt

Oh aye, Uptights - look a little higher, Lost Souls - it won't work out baby, Turks - you turn me on, Dynamics - you make me feel good ... kin top fifty :lol:

Edited by PhilT
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest brummiemick

Agreed, a fantastic record - thanks, as a result of hearing this i have just downloaded the James Carr LP "You got my mind messed up" which is brilliant!

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Agreed, a fantastic record - thanks, as a result of hearing this i have just downloaded the James Carr LP "You got my mind messed up" which is brilliant!

Glad you liked it Mick

Social source share

Gotta agree with you..... this is a great contender for the most soulful tune ever put on a 45 :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!