When Did We Start With Ovo

barney

maybe i should have checked the decks when i was young(er) but i was more interested in dancing to what was in the grooves instead of what label it was on. But now i only play ovo when i'm asked to do a spot, but then again i still don't check the decks when i'm out dancing, i would love to think it's an orig but if i'm just out for a nite out i really don't care, although i will make sure that where i go plays vinyl only. i know that i miss out a lot of tracks (esp modern) that are only on cd (i can get these at the shops or on youtube) but i feel vinyl brings a history with it, if that makes sense ?.

Social source share

This thread is about where the term came from. One more discussion post about actual "OVO" and I'm closing the thread. Not trying to censor anyone, please read the large amount of existing threads on the topic (which at this point only negatively affect the AATS forum, even if your post is friendly and positive). If you have some totally new perspective to add hit "report" on the thread. Thank you.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

only interested in genuine answers about the history of OVO

deffo not a debate about the merits of Ovo.

when did it become common practice to have ovo events?.

who first used OVO in their flyers and when? ,.

is it a 70s 80s 90s or 21st century phenomenom.?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I suppose the question did not arise until the first bootlegger saw the chance to make some money.Surely in the early days it was all original?

I think most of us know that by mid 70`s D.J`s themselves were involved in selling emi`s-even putting out lists advertising their "wares" and "pressings" were in the shops by `73 at least.

Social source share

2005 Black Horse , Wolverhampton Dave Rimmer, first time I think it was mentioned on here. Thousands of times since :)

Very ironic that seeing as how Dave was DJing off a memory stick on NYE! :)

Social source share

RE: - ................

1960's

Music largely played on UK release a few imports, increasing as the decade went on.

- Early 1970's -

Loads of imports on OV. Loads of new discoveries coming through from Soul Bowl, Levine, SS, and a host of others. Still some UK releases. Probably some early boots played at soul nights,

Got to agree with the above but I'd add that initially Soul City shop started getting in decent supplies of OV US 45's, then the likes of F L Moore joined in, closely followed by B&S's Contempo Record Sales set up. Of course the boots such as 'Soul Sounds' out of Leicester started appearing around 69.

Don't recall seeing any Emidiscs at all in the 60's (it was easier / cheaper / better to send off to the likes of Randy's Rec Shop in Gallatin to get hold of copies of the US OV version of deleted UK soul 45's).

Mind you, as I 'left the scene' in the 70's and was just buying new release / non NS imports back then .... I never came across / used the term OV till much more recently.

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Without writing a book on the subject you can summarise roughly, and I say roughly since there is never any golden rule that applies to something like this and there have always been people willing to take a shortcut to try and gain short term dancefloor popularity. There are also regional differences. For example in London there has always been a seemingly endless supply of people setting up soul do's and playing boots:

-1960's

Music largely played on UK release a few imports, increasing as the decade went on.

- Early 1970's -

Loads of imports on OV. Loads of new discoveries coming through from Soul Bowl, Levine, SS, and a host of others. Still some UK releases. Probably some early boots played at soul nights,

- Mid 70s "WIgan explosion" -

Niters / Dayers playing OV + EMIdiscs (purpose made acetate copies like Carvers today) of "in demanders".

Soul Nights depending on where you were playing either OV, Boots or a mix.

Think a few boots played by what I'd class as "2nd division Wigan DJs" (the fillers rather than the main "names").

- Post Wigan / Stafford / 100 Club etc.

OV still rules at Niters / Dayers.

Mod revival nights / weekends loads of boots / reissues etc.

Today:

Well you know the answer to that....

I think I read an interview with Dave Thorley about Stafford. In it he said the ethos behind Stafford was born of the disillusion about other events and their oldies packed playlists (Sound familiar anyone) and how the guys wanted to get back to playing rare soul of quality on original formats.

I may have got this mixed up. Perhaps Dave can comment if he sees this.

Thinking back I can remember lots of chats on trains and other places discussing the Original v 'its whats in the groove that counts' guys. It all seemed more good natured but just as passionate back then? Maybe because the discussions were face to face, and the typed internet post can often lead to misunderstandings about tone etc.

Social source share

I think I read an interview with Dave Thorley about Stafford. In it he said the ethos behind Stafford was born of the disillusion about other events and their oldies packed playlists (Sound familiar anyone) and how the guys wanted to get back to playing rare soul of quality on original formats.

I may have got this mixed up. Perhaps Dave can comment if he sees this.

Thinking back I can remember lots of chats on trains and other places discussing the Original v 'its whats in the groove that counts' guys. It all seemed more good natured but just as passionate back then? Maybe because the discussions were face to face, and the typed internet post can often lead to misunderstandings about tone etc.

Hi Mikey,

I can categorically confirm that as the editor of Blackbeat during the Stafford era early - mid 80s, there was relatively little chatter about OV v pressings amongst my humble readership.

There were of course venues that played pressings and everyone left on the scene at that point knew that. The main venues like Stafford, some (but not all) Peterboro events, Leicester etc. and 100 Club pretty much stuck to OV - it was just a given that DJs at these main scene events didn't play boots. The BIG controversy for my lot in the early / mid 80's was around Oldies v new 60s v modern etc. (i.e. type of music more than type of format). Mostly all good fun.

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Mary & Colin Chapman had an ovo policy at the Cleethorpes pier back in early '75. I seem to recall one of the dj's being sacked for playing an emidisc. Others might know more, Ian D was one of the 'stars' of Clee in the early days, perhaps he can recall how strictly she enforced the rule?

Edited by Rich B
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Hi Mikey,

I can categorically confirm that as the editor of Blackbeat during the Stafford era early - mid 80s, there was relatively little chatter about OV v pressings amongst my humble readership.

There were of course venues that played pressings and everyone left on the scene at that point knew that. The main venues like Stafford, some (but not all) Peterboro events, Leicester etc. and 100 Club pretty much stuck to OV - it was just a given that DJs at these main scene events didn't play boots. The BIG controversy for my lot in the early / mid 80's was around Oldies v new 60s v modern etc. (i.e. type of music more than type of format). Mostly all good fun.

I think you have hit on the nub of Barney's post.

When did it NOT become a given that DJs played original vinyl?

Social source share

This came up a couple of years back, and I can categorically say Winston Heath coined the phrase. It was on a thread that kept repeating ‘Original Vinyl Only’, so on Winston’s next post he stated it like this -

“Original Vinyl Only (O.V.O)” Then everyone ‘adopted’ it from there…

..... I have searched for the said thread, but to no avail I’m afraid. But thinking about it — It must have been the ‘Original, ‘Original Vinyl Only’ thread! :yes: :lol:

Well done Winston :D

As far as the actual policy for events goes, it was just one of the ‘unwritten rules’, the ‘norm’ if you like, it simply wasn’t an issue until quite recently.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Mary & Colin Chapman had an ovo policy at the Cleethorpes pier back in early '75. I seem to recall one of the dj's being sacked for playing an emidisc. Others might know more, Ian D was one of the 'stars' of Clee in the early days, perhaps he can recall how strictly she enforced the rule?

I may be wrong but I thought that came about in part at least because Ian L turned up at Clee one night with some EMIs of all of his latest productions and Mary sent him away? Godin "made some hay" out of it in B&S at the time I recall him quoting Mary "My DJ's only play originals". This was I am sure partly because DG was involved in a "death match" with Tony Cummings over at Black Music at the time (last seen as a gospel radio guy in Plymouth); Cummings was writing his 'exposes' about NS in BM, and having his ear bent by Ian about "what good looks like" in the process.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

I think you have hit on the nub of Barney's post.

When did it NOT become a given that DJs played original vinyl?

As a complete guess, I would say 2005 onwards - But that's just a guess, others may say different. I'm not saying it didn't happen before then, but if it did it was a shock.

I remember Dave Flemming coming up to me at The Embankment Club to let me know that one of the D.J's was playing a pressing of something he was going to play, I was shocked and a bit embarrassed - He was ok with it, as it was also a shock to him.

There was no need to 'check' in those days you see, I just presumed the man in question played by the rules - Well I didn't even presume, I didn't give it a second thought.

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I may be wrong but I thought that came about in part at least because Ian L turned up at Clee one night with some EMIs of all of his latest productions and Mary sent him away? Godin "made some hay" out of it in B&S at the time I recall him quoting Mary "My DJ's only play originals". This was I am sure partly because DG was involved in a "death match" with Tony Cummings over at Black Music at the time (last seen as a gospel radio guy in Plymouth); Cummings was writing his 'exposes' about NS in BM, and having his ear bent by Ian about "what good looks like" in the process.

There certainly was a fuss about Levine's acetates being played, but I thought the originals only rule had begun before that particular incident Steve. I may be wrong, I was 17 at the time and very impressionable!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

...Or I stand corrected :D

.....I was answering from my experience.

All the best,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Well I don't know, but I do know that when I first got started in 1978 we differentiated between originals and 'pressings' (which was what we called boots and reissues back then). We always wanted the original, although we were a lot less fussy about buying pressings if we couldn't get an orig (which was most of the time as a schoolboy).

Having said that I don't remember many people gaving a toss if DJs were playing boots or originals at the venues, even prestigous places like Stafford and Leicester Oddfellows.

I'm sure I can remember flyers for the Sensible Soul Club and Central England Soul Club in the 80s having OVO on the flyer.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest Byrney

So it would seem originals have always been a core part of the real scene, some won't be happy with that. :)

Thinking back to the handful of times I did a spot mid 80s, OVO in the main was just expected and not really talked about; to be honest you would have been considered a div for doing a spot of pressings back then.

Ok some slipped the odd Emi in, usually of unreleased tracks or new / exclusive discoveries; the fact they were Emi's was overlooked as they were newies, with the quest for new tunes overriding the odd mooch away from the original path.

Different from today where nostalgia Djs have no problem with whole sets of boots.

Social source share

There certainly was a fuss about Levine's acetates being played, but I thought the originals only rule had begun before that particular incident Steve. I may be wrong, I was 17 at the time and very impressionable!

Were IL's acetates of his Exciters/Tyrone Ashley.. etc output.?

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

So it would seem originals have always been a core part of the real scene, some won't be happy with that. :)

Thinking back to the handful of times I did a spot mid 80s, OVO in the main was just expected and not really talked about; to be honest you would have been considered a div for doing a spot of pressings back then.

Ok some slipped the odd Emi in, usually of unreleased tracks or new / exclusive discoveries; the fact they were Emi's was overlooked as they were newies, with the quest for new tunes overriding the odd mooch away from the original path.

Different from today where nostalgia Djs have no problem with whole sets of boots.

I think you've hit the nail on the head Byrney, in the past it was accepted but not the norm that pressings were played, now it's not just the norm to play boots it's almost the law at some places. :lol:

Social source share

some interesting answers on this topic , it seems the term OVO first appear on this forum in 2005 but others have mentioned seeing this much earlier on flyers . would be interestingt if anyone has any old flyers with OVO being mentioned

take note also with regard to the apparent ambiguity between boots and originals in the early days , there seems to be a concensus that it wasnt an issue back then among the general populace and not a contentious issue as it is today.

but that is for another thread please .

Social source share

Hi Mikey,

That's because you drove them all away by only writing about Modern Soul :lol:

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Surely richard serling was the first to use it on june 14th 1974 at 3.30 a.m.....he seems to be the bloke that played everytning first

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

#Thats right, spot on ,
Social source share

I was under the impression that OVO initially meant 'On Vinyl Only' with the introduction of CD decks in the late 90s/early 00s. This was then upgraded to 'Original Only Vinyl'.

have also heard this myself but some time ago , same time span though .

Social source share

In the 100 Club (and Stafford) of the 80s, Keb Darge was playing sounds like "She's Fire" off carvers was he not? Isn't this documented on this site?

Tragically (for me), I remember being at the first Putney Bridge soul nights in London (c.86?) and being gobsmackingly disappointed to see "a well known DJ" playing Stanley Mitchell's "Get it baby" on a Soul Wax bootleg.

That hurt even more because I had exactly the same boot (still do) and - based on the "OVO" attitude of those I peripherally mixed with at that time on the outside fringes of the "London Elite" - made me feel that I and my records were vastly inferior.

If Keb could carve (quite literally) his way brilliant and cultish way through the 80s and 90s with ready-carved 45s (and many promo carvers supplied by Adey to help future Kent LPs - and eventually 45s - along the way), why not?

After all, who didn't race to the floor to dance to them?

Edited by Russell Gilbert
Social source share

In the 100 Club (and Stafford) of the 80s, Keb Darge was playing sounds like "She's Fire" off carvers was he not? Isn't this documented on this site?

Tragically (for me), I remember being at the first Putney Bridge soul nights in London (c.86?) and being gobsmackingly disappointed to see "a well known DJ" playing Stanley Mitchell's "Get it baby" on a Soul Wax bootleg.

That hurt even more because I had exactly the same boot (still do) and - based on the "OVO" attitude of those I peripherally mixed with at that time on the outside fringes of the "London Elite" - made me feel that I and my records were vastly inferior.

If Keb could carve (quite literally) his way brilliant and cultish way through the 80s and 90s with ready-carved 45s (and many promo carvers supplied by Adey to help future Kent LPs - and eventually 45s - along the way), why not?

After all, who didn't race to the floor to dance to them?

At the time Keb was playing COD's, there was no other way of hearing it, it was still a one-off at the time and had been dubbed from Rod Shards copy.

Social source share

This is where it all gets a bit complicated and almost impossible to explain. As I’ve said before, the more people go on about the issue, the more silly it sounds. If a D.J of integrity, plays the odd emidisc or even if he decided on a rare occasion to sling in the odd boot, it wouldn’t bother me as long as he considered what he was playing and wasn’t stepping on anyone’s toes. Put it this way, I wouldn’t get all upset over it and go home and sulk. If he’s got the passion, he’s a real D.J - I'd rather see this D.J than some 'Cut 'n' Paste' D.J.

It can depend on where they are playing and who to etc.

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

We're in danger of drifting into another "What is OV?" thread (yawn)....I'd like to see some pre 2005 posters that mention OV if there are any?

There aren't any Steve, unless the site search only goes back as 2005, and there are previous references to it that won't be indexed.

I know at the time I did the flyers for the Black Horse we had been using the phrase for several years in the West Midlands, (I would guess at leat 2000) partly as a back lash at the plethora of boot playing venues that were around at the time.

and I still blame John Pugh :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This is where it all gets a bit complicated and almost impossible to explain. As I’ve said before, the more people go on about the issue, the more silly it sounds. If a D.J of integrity, plays the odd emidisc or even if he decided on a rare occasion to sling in the odd boot, it wouldn’t bother me as long as he considered what he was playing and wasn’t stepping on anyone’s toes. Put it this way, I wouldn’t get all upset over it and go home and sulk. If he’s got the passion, he’s a real D.J - I'd rather see this D.J than some 'Cut 'n' Paste' D.J.

It can depend on where they are playing and who to etc.

All the best,

So its ok for a dj of integrity to play a boot or carver,who decides who these djs are :wink: ,just a question.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!