60S Newies; Do People Want Them?

Take the long view Ady - in a few years time they'll be falling over themselves to pay silly money for deleted Kent 7's...hopefully, anyway!

It's taking a while but undoubtedly deleted 45s like 'Torture', Luther Ingram, Lillie Fields and the Pretenders 'A Broken Heart Cries' are fetching a few bob. Candi Staton has just been deleted if you ain't scored one yet!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Top 500....... I don't mean to be derogatory but 300 of anyone's 500 are rarely played. It's a Top 200 now with a few recent turntable hits like Jonathan Capree thrown in.

500 songs at a Soul night/major All Nighter...doesn't happen anymore.

The Top 500 is a banded about  dated phrase.

On a positive note, I do hope the Young Brothers sold, as it's the absolute business.

I was only using the Top 500 as a general term for oldies that are a bit bleedin' obvious; it wasn't a dig at your book. I play a lot of them myself but mainly at "party" nights and when requested. Young Brothers did well but it was on the flip of the Hytones which was a guaranteed seller anyway.

Social source share

I have encountered criticism when playing a few 100 Club 45s at dos, usually the 'it's not original' line. How exactly you can make it 'original' other than getting in a time machine to, say, 1965 and convincing the owners of the track to release the record back then is a bit of a problem mind you.

You could get the original 60s tape machine and console, connect it to the sound system and put the original master tape up or simply refer them to me and I'll sit on them.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's taking a while but undoubtedly deleted 45s like 'Torture', Luther Ingram, Lillie Fields and the Pretenders 'A Broken Heart Cries' are fetching a few bob. Candi Staton has just been deleted if you ain't scored one yet!

Thats very True Torture and Mr Creator(Candy & Kisses) are hard to find these days and the prices are rising.Even Melba Moore can be a hard one to bag.One of my faves is the Fashionettes version of Losing control wish that got played out more .I would be more than happy to attend a nighter that played just Kent unissued stuff all night, you would need a couple of shirt changes for that gig.

Social source share

I have encountered criticism when playing a few 100 Club 45s at dos, usually the 'it's not original' line. How exactly you can make it 'original' other than getting in a time machine to, say, 1965 and convincing the owners of the track to release the record back then is a bit of a problem mind you.

Shows how ignorant, intolerant and outspoken some people are. The connoisseur of rare soul understands the situation and appreciates not just the music, but the efforts somebody has gone to to release records that were unreleased in the 60's. OVO is a laudable philosophy but Kent 45's such as the Anniversary singles fall under this banner so are totally acceptable.

Social source share

Top 500....... I don't mean to be derogatory but 300 of anyone's 500 are rarely played. It's a Top 200 now with a few recent turntable hits like Jonathan Capree thrown in.

500 songs at a Soul night/major All Nighter...doesn't happen anymore.

The Top 500 is a banded about  dated phrase.

On a positive note, I do hope the Young Brothers sold, as it's the absolute business.

Of course, a promoter could book a DJ who actually owns a copy of the Young Brothers disc on Soul Power.

That way they might even get to hear some of their other records, possibly fairly exclusive, which are in the same vein.

Then we'd have a show worth travelling for.

Social source share

Of course, a promoter could book a DJ who actually owns a copy of the Young Brothers disc on Soul Power.

That way they might even get to hear some of their other records, possibly fairly exclusive, which are in the same vein.

They might even play the flip 'Baby' too, just for good measure ...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I played three Kent 45's last night ....Allan Toussant - Laugh Till I Cry (bloody fantastic) 

I noticed that, Chalky, from Geoff's Lifeline review in Lookbacks. I remember Ted Massey posting a clip earlier this year but I hadn't realised that Kent had released it. Didn't see any publicity on here. Toussaint McCall isn't it? Still haven't heard the complete track but will be buying it.

Edited by autumnstoned
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

he does he books 2 at least

Social source share

I noticed that, Chalky, from Geoff's Lifeline review in Lookbacks. I remember Ted Massey posting a clip earlier this year but I hadn't realised that Kent had released it. Didn't see any publicity on here. Toussaint McCall isn't it? Still haven't heard the complete track but will be buying it.

Yes it is, I'd been up a long time.....  :D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Have grown up with all your amazing 100 club discoveries Ady.  Life would just not be the same without ever wondering what you are going to pull out of your pandoras box next.

I'm convinced that you have a time portal somewhere in the 100 club that you dash back in time to Detroit to visit these soul artists laying down these super rare tracks on tape for the very first time and when no one is looking you swipe a copy.

We should call you Mr Benn of 100 Oxford Street :D

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I think Ted answered it Peter. Regardless of my personal taste ala The Young Bros, our customers make the call. Which is probably why Stoke etc are busy.

If one of our DJs gets behind a 60's newie and the patrons buy into it.... Fantastic.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Ady perhaps you need to start doin more guest spots up and down the country to give them more crowd exposure all your releases are quality , im sure there would me loads of nights and nighter  that would book you  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  

I'd love to but I have my 6 year old lad most weekends and it takes me another day to recover after that!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yep, we need to up our profile as the ad men say. It's on the Dore Soul CD which is rather wonderful two. The Natural Resources flip is the sort of 70s dancer that could go massive on the Northern scene given the right backing.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Yep, we need to up our profile as the ad men say. It's on the Dore Soul CD which is rather wonderful two. The Natural Resources flip is the sort of 70s dancer that could go massive on the Northern scene given the right backing.

Thought I might have that CD but the one I've got is The Northern Soul Of Dore - Rare Masters Volumes 1&2 released by Night Owl Music. There is a Toussaint McCall track on it - I Would Rather Have Nothing At All. Unclear from the sleeve notes who actually put the CD together but whoever it was, he/she must have passed over/missed Laughed (Until I Cried )? Must revisit the CD as I've not listened to it for ages. 

Look forward to hearing your new find Ady sometime soon at The 100 Club.

All the best

Mike

Edited by autumnstoned
Social source share

Do you mean 'I Fell In Love'? If so do you prefer the Kapp released version or the Kent release which is technically an underdub (less instrumentation) but sounded better to me when I compared them?

If the reproduction is anything like the cd then Yes - the Kent version. It booms out over my sysytem.!! Could get a play in November.?? :)

Social source share

Thought I might have that CD but the one I've got is The Northern Soul Of Dore - Rare Masters Volumes 1&2 released by Night Owl Music. There is a Toussaint McCall track on it - I Would Rather Have Nothing At All. Unclear from the sleeve notes who actually put the CD together but whoever it was, he/she must have passed over/missed Laughed (Until I Cried )? Must revisit the CD as I've not listened to it for ages. 

Look forward to hearing your new find Ady.

All the best

Mike

That was another company's efforts a long while ago and ours has had full access to the tapes and found a lot more great tracks and documented them more accurately too. There's a second volume to follow.

Social source share

Watch this space Eddie.

I must just get a moan off my chest and say I think it's poor form when other companies dive in and release some of our discoveries on 45 without asking if we'd mind, or even sending a bleeding copy as a thank you for Christ's sake. The Cavaliers 'Ooh It Hurts Me' and Vibrations 'Follow Your Heart' being recent cases of lack of respect and acknowledgement.

Are you saying that people are bootlegging Kent stuff?

And no we don't want any more unissued/exciting stuff. If I am sitting at home bored rigid, why should you have any fun while out.

Edited by jocko
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Are you saying that people are bootlegging Kent stuff?

And no we don't want any more unissued/exciting stuff. If I am sitting at home bored rigid, why should you have any fun while out.

No, legitimate licensing as they weren't tracks we owned or had exclusives on but in the past the company concerned had asked me if we had plans of our own and we'd compromised over any clashes but the person who did that isn't involved any more.

Social source share

There are definitely many rare records if only a tenner would be ignored.  There is also a snob factor with common records as well.  Probably an ego or dick waving thing at work where every record they play has to be in demand rarities.

We was talking about price last night and my mate said he had someone say to him I don't buy unless £100+.  There loss as they are missing out on some great records.

Hear hear

Social source share

"If There Were no You" is a fantastic track...total dancefloor appeal...is it getting UK spins? Speaking of Dore (and a vol.II),  I've been enjoying Bobby & Eddie Unlimited's, "The Girl That I Loved" (Dore 809) with its fab vocals and elongated instrumental break typical of quite a few Dore tracks.

Just to give you some more hope, the main record stores in Tokyo all stock Kent 7" (and CDs) and they always sell through...and reach plenty of DJ decks...Soul knows no boundaries!

:thumbup:

Edited by Flynny
Social source share

I certainly believe that some of the unissued Kent's over the years have been short changed due to lack of play prior to official  release, there has been a few occasions i would have hammered certain ones and i dare say going back 4-5 years ago when i was taking on more bookings (not so bothered these days) could have maybe helped them on their way. That said i remember Browny playing me the G.W.P  c/d and in particular the Lillie Fields - changes track , i just had to cut it and play it to me it can't get any better ,i tried and tried but it never has brought any thing but the odd comment and very little dance floor activity (for me anyway) ... to be honest i've never found anything half as good as that and probably never will ! Then again Ady sent me some of the R.c.a things i thought on the whole the lyrics were too corny etc.. nice dancers but not for me ,out of them Ady sent me the Cavaliers-we go together (slightly diff mix) which i played on radio and various venues people went mad for it. There is so many of them that should be very popular niter wise, i 'm not sure these days who the best people are to play these advance promos , but that is the key to a wider audience - if these people have to wait 2-3 years for royalties 'wages or whatever let em wait - cos that's the way the niter scene conduit is ! Just thought of another one that i still like to play /hear  is the Jan Jones - cut loose ... absolutely fantastic ! keep em coming even if it costs the company money , let the good selling alternative music styles finance the soul stuff the dedicated niter/soul public deserves and have earned the right to have the pleasure of Kent's and other modern day reissue logos finds. 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

"If There Were no You" is a fantastic track...total dancefloor appeal...is it getting UK spins...worthy of a Kent 7" even? Speaking of Dore (and a vol.II),  I've been enjoying Bobby & Eddie Unlimited's, "The Girl That I Loved" (Dore 809) with its fab vocals and elongated instrumental break typical of quite a few Dore tracks.

Just to give you some more hope, the main record stores in Tokyo all stock Kent 7" (and CDs) and they always sell through...and reach plenty of DJ decks...Soul knows no boundaries!

:thumbup:

It's on the flip of the recent Toussaint McCall 45 so double dynamite for lovers of new 70s soul. We're putting Bobby & Eddie on Vol 2, so feel free to bung me a scan and I wouldn't mind hearing Please Mr Guru though I'm not expecting too much! You might just end up with a Natural Resources!

Social source share

I certainly believe that some of the unissued Kent's over the years have been short changed due to lack of play prior to official  release, there has been a few occasions i would have hammered certain ones and i dare say going back 4-5 years ago when i was taking on more bookings (not so bothered these days) could have maybe helped them on their way. That said i remember Browny playing me the G.W.P  c/d and in particular the Lillie Fields - changes track , i just had to cut it and play it to me it can't get any better ,i tried and tried but it never has brought any thing but the odd comment and very little dance floor activity (for me anyway) ... to be honest i've never found anything half as good as that and probably never will ! Then again Ady sent me some of the R.c.a things i thought on the whole the lyrics were too corny etc.. nice dancers but not for me ,out of them Ady sent me the Cavaliers-we go together (slightly diff mix) which i played on radio and various venues people went mad for it. There is so many of them that should be very popular niter wise, i 'm not sure these days who the best people are to play these advance promos , but that is the key to a wider audience - if these people have to wait 2-3 years for royalties 'wages or whatever let em wait - cos that's the way the niter scene conduit is ! Just thought of another one that i still like to play /hear  is the Jan Jones - cut loose ... absolutely fantastic ! keep em coming even if it costs the company money , let the good selling alternative music styles finance the soul stuff the dedicated niter/soul public deserves and have earned the right to have the pleasure of Kent's and other modern day reissue logos finds. 

Jeanette Jones  - cut loose,,exactly Andy.!! Cant remember last time i heard it out.!!

Social source share

I guess its getting them to eager DJs who are hot and getting plenty of gigs, are happy to get behind a track that isn't originally their own. Plus realistically they need to hear them down the 100 Club to know if they like 'em or not; though I did do some mixcloud or summat that things are on.

Social source share

We're putting Bobby & Eddie on Vol 2, so feel free to bung me a scan and I wouldn't mind hearing Please Mr Guru though I'm not expecting too much! You might just end up with a Natural Resources!

Scan to your message box...and the A side is actually typed as, Please Mr.Guriei! and is best left forgotten shall we say. :shhh:

Social source share

I guess its getting them to eager DJs who are hot and getting plenty of gigs, are happy to get behind a track that isn't originally their own.

Of course they will if it's got some exclusivity aka "I've got something yooou haven't and I know Ady better than yooou do" to it...welcome to the world of Northern Soul DJing Ady  :lol:

Edited by Flynny
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I guess its getting them to eager DJs who are hot and getting plenty of gigs, are happy to get behind a track that isn't originally their own. Plus realistically they need to hear them down the 100 Club to know if they like 'em or not; though I did do some mixcloud or summat that things are on.

They should ideally hear them out to see if they like them but i would assume your personal seal of approval of quality should be enough ,especially if you are being good enough to trust them with what is in essence your bread and butter , of course no one wants to be handing out winners just willy nilly..... You are always welcome up at lifeline to do a set of your new stuff !

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!