Worst Vocal On A Record Ever

Pete S

I defy anyone to keep a straight face while listening to this record, this is the worst vocal ever and he even forgets the words after half a minute. backing is great though. Sit back and enjoy.

Can't see but it if it isn't George Lemons you have gone soft.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I actually quite like it, and on a UK label too.  The overall sound reminds me of James Coit - Black Power, which I also like, even though that's often mentioned as the epitome of a crap record.

My candidate for worst vocal ever is Nat Cole Jnr - You.  Even the superb backing can't hide the fact that NC Jnr can't sing at all.

Edited by AlanB
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I defy anyone to keep a straight face while listening to this record, this is the worst vocal ever and he even forgets the words after half a minute. backing is great though. Sit back and enjoy.

This has made my day. Pants. the fist 'Uh' after a few seconds it sounds like he's having a shit. No competition - I am not even going to read the rest of this thread :thumbsup:   

Edited by SoulBoyRecords
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Its Ollie Reed isn't it?  After a massive sesh with Keith Moon they stumble across the Stax studios....  (By chance the Booker T boys are in house laying backing tracks, and fearing for their lives, Steve Cropper invites Ollie to 'join in' on vocals).   The rest is history...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This guy couldn't hit a note if he tried. Remember hearing this at John Anderson's with Ady Pountain and the two of us rolling on the floor with laughter. Then a week later we were at a alldayer at The Powerhouse and Pat played it C/U, so we rolled around on the floor again..............

Jesus, that is truly dreadful... no amount of covering up can disguise that fact!!

Some folk might not agree, but Ted Wilson...again absolutely dreadful vocal.. I suppose its the backing track people like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl03KfquvCA

Edited by Mal C
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

That Caprells is a great record, both sides. I agree with you about the Wanda Davis version of Save Me.

The vocals on the Caprells just makes me wanna go to the bar, bathroom, or just leave the venue for 3 minutes 20 seconds. Barber shop raga quartet breakdowns whilst trying to maintain a shred of soul, just doesn't do it for me. How Wanda actually ended up in a studio is a mystery....the backing band on the other hand, are pretty great!

Edited by Greg Belson
Social source share

Guest son of stan

The vocals on the Caprells just makes me wanna go to the bar, bathroom, or just leave the venue for 3 minutes 20 seconds. Barber shop raga quartet breakdowns whilst trying to maintain a shred of soul, just doesn't do it for me. How Wanda actually ended up in a studio is a mystery....the backing band on the other hand, are pretty great!

Social source share

I love all the Caprells records. Love the production, the instrumentation and the vocals. Quite a unique sounding outfit.  :P

Social source share

The topic 'Worst vocal on a record ever'

I guess soulies set the bar far higher than many other musical genres when it comes to vocals. Whilst I agree the vocals are something less than fantastic consider the following:

Lee Marvin -Wandering Star, Benny Hill - fastest milkman in the west, Worzels - combined harvester

Then you could go to the punk era (Johnny Rotten) and post punk there were a great many vocalists who couldn't hit a note (eg Gary Newman, Pete Shelley etc).

Occasionally I still enjoy listening to the Sex Pistols tunes but accept their vocal limitations.

Social source share

heres a corker, he did another one called little sister thats even worse/better

How on Christs earth did this ever get a release, astoundingly, hilariously bad....the competent backing and b singers add to the fun ;) 

Great shout, had to listen to it all three times and may go back to it when I'm feeling down.

Social source share

I don't have a mp3 of this as its very rare and should be -

Jimmy Pendleton - You are the honey for me - Julie records.

Brilliant backing track!

I played it 3 years ago on BIR Radio so Nick Turvey would have it recorded somewhere.

Go Listen and tell me its not the worst vocal ever as it was described by listeners as the PUB SINGER!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!