Why Are Venues Always So Bright?

Lamps shining from behind the decks so DJs can see what they're doing, annoying when they point out to the dance floor.

Record dealers with lamps shining on their sales boxes and annoying when they point out to the dance floor.

Some people using those star-bright lights on their phones or other devices when recording for whatever reason.

Camera flashes where I cant then see anything for a good few minutes.

Bars with heaven knows how many lights on them, over them, behind them.

Fire exit lights, streetlamps outside, cars passing the windows with their light on.

...arggghhh I'm such a Soul Mole! :glare:  :D Sorry I feel better now and staying in tonight with all the lights off. :thumbsup:

Better not let the man from the ministry know you are staying in with the lights off or he'll be round yours with the H&S gang putting 100 watt bulbs emergency lighting in every room. :hatsoff2: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Forget health and safety its Soul Police legislation, checking O.V.O

If the venues and DJ's are decent enough then there would only be OVO played as that's what the scene was built around; collecting, listening and dancing to the rare and obscure on its original format and not off a cd, memory stick/pc  or boots. As for atmosphere,that's something else that seems to be missing from today's scene, too brightly lit venues and the lack of clapping even the "Worlds No1 Allnighter" with its decent numbers doesn't seem to have that much atmosphere in comparison to those from the halcyon days.........or am I just being just a tad get too critical?

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest the fifer

You can't expect the elderly to be wandering around tripping over their beer towels in the dark surely!

Derek

Social source share

Guest soultanforreal

St ives oldies room 74 till shut now was that black or what but agree totally wboro weekender suffered 2 years ago but better last year windows blacked out sanity prevails stoke bout right yes atmosphere not the same but age and habits the reason I think

Social source share

Not all venues are brightly lit

Rugby all nighter the main rooms nice and dark like it should be

Phil, at the back of the main hall near the entrance to the 2nd room, it is pitch black,

i tripped up a couple of times, can you provide us with torches please?

Social source share

Guest RobCroskell

At the Horse & Jockey in Doncaster it's as dark as it can be it's like being back down t'pit.. and its ovo!

Social source share

They are so bright because we are all so blind, Cataracts you know for us old dodgers and Neil I agree sometimes the music's to loud but that's to be heard over the constant whistling of hearing aids!!!! Who said that? I didn't see!! :facepalm:  :( 

Spot. :shades: 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

They are so bright because we are all so blind, Cataracts you know for us old dodgers and Neil I agree sometimes the music's to loud but that's to be heard over the constant whistling of hearing aids!!!! Who said that? I didn't see!! :facepalm:  :( 

Spot. :shades: 

its lighter cos the lights bouncing off all them shiny bonces, ha ha

Social source share

Am i allowed to change the subject slightly?...... Well i'm going to, like it or not.

Can we have a volume restriction everywhere, we aren't teenagers anymore :huh:

The last Lifeline I went on t'stage and Sam had the levels all the way up, all the red lit up.  Now Sam has been around long enough to know it shouldn't be in the red and he wasn't happy when I told him to turn it down.  He didn't listen so I sent Sean to sort him out.  Something will be said next time as locals not happy.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Agree. Many venues too light.Ask Steve L.....he used to take out the light bulbs to darken the place.....

I'd happily leave the light off as we depart many niters as well......we are not a pretty sight after 10/12 hours.... :lol:

Volume..?   Well you can tell who's on at some venues without looking.....Amp insurance must be on the up.... :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Steve L has been known to take out lightbulbs to give the venue more bollx. 

Can i request some venues leave the lights off as we depart.? Not a pretty sight after 10/12 hours are we,? :lol:

Volume - you can tell who's on without looking at times,,,,,Amp insurance must be on the up and  up.... :elvis:

Social source share

Kev, i can't decide which version i prefer, the first issue (25) or 2nd issue (alt take) 26?

Either way, both bloody good lyrically!

Bloody technology Neil. Didn't think first post had made it thru the wire. :lol:

Social source share

No change there then...bless him...

The last Lifeline I went on t'stage and Sam had the levels all the way up, all the red lit up.

I have to admit, before now if I've been on just before Sam I've dropped the master levels back a bit during the last track in my set - more in hope than expectation mind... :)

Edited by Jerry Hipkiss
Social source share

The Burnley nighters when I ran them were always very dark. I wouldn't have run it otherwise. The owner didn't give a monkeys for health and safety bullshit, and neither did I. 

Badly set up PA's are the reason I won't go out anymore. Tried it a few months ago and it was that bad you couldn't tell what the record was that was playing. Yet several people wrote look backs saying the night was brilliant?????

I give up.  :rofl:  :(

• Helpful 2
Social source share

At Norwich Backstreet gigs we've found that people hold back from going on the dance floor if its too bright. I guess they feel too exposed ,when all they want to do is groove to the tunes. Unfortunately some venues don't have much flexibility with their lighting its either On or Off. All the best gigs i remember were dark dance floor set-ups.

One Allnighter at the UEA in Norwich we had to put Bin bags over the windows as the daylight at 03.30am was coming through lighting up the venue. (Professor T you remember).

I agree keep them dark !

ATB Frank

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The Burnley nighters when I ran them were always very dark. I wouldn't have run it otherwise. The owner didn't give a monkeys for health and safety bullshit, and neither did I. 

Badly set up PA's are the reason I won't go out anymore. Tried it a few months ago and it was that bad you couldn't tell what the record was that was playing. Yet several people wrote look backs saying the night was brilliant?????

I give up.  :rofl:  :(

If I remember rightly phil the curtains were an awful fit, wendy was forever trying to close the gaps down the sides and middle to keep the light out when you ran Burnley :g:  they now have proper blackout blinds up!!! :thumbsup:

And isn't it still the same PA system that you had????? :g: ..........and yes I remember the last time you were there co's all you did was moan even though it was one of the busiest nights there's been that I can remember....and I attended all the ones wen you ran it!!!!

You've turned in to the Old hermit of Barlick pick your dummy up man, stop sucking on lemons 'an get th'a sen out!!! :D..........we miss you :P

• Helpful 2
Social source share

If I remember rightly phil the curtains were an awful fit, wendy was forever trying to close the gaps down the sides and middle to keep the light out when you ran Burnley :g:  they now have proper blackout blinds up!!! :thumbsup:

And isn't it still the same PA system that you had????? :g: ..........and yes I remember the last time you were there co's all you did was moan even though it

was one of the busiest nights there's been that I can remember....and I attended all the ones wen you ran it!!!!

You've turned in to the Old hermit of Barlick pick your dummy up man, stop sucking on lemons 'an get th'a sen out!!! :D..........we miss you 

"If I remember rightly phil the curtains were an awful fit,"........Kev you're sounding like Laurence lllewyn Bowen... :lol: 

Edited by KevH
Social source share

And isn't it still the same PA system that you had????? :g: ..........and yes I remember the last time you were there co's all you did was moan even though it was one of the busiest nights there's been that I can remember....and I attended all the ones wen you ran it!!!!

You've turned in to the Old hermit of Barlick pick your dummy up man, stop sucking on lemons 'an get th'a sen out!!! :D..........we miss you :P

Like I said Kev, I give up. If you can't tell the difference in the sound, then I was just wasting my time trying to make everything perfect. You can't equalise recordings. Graphic equalisers are for live bands. I wanted to listen to Cliff's spot, and I would have attended on a regular basis if I could actually heard what was being played. If I hadn't gone there with Cliff and Stu, I would have walked straight out.

I notice that Cliff hasn't Dj'ed there since that night. I wonder why?

If you enjoy yourself that's all that matters. But I only go for the music, and I want to be able to recognise what's being played. Boom, boom, boom isn't for me.

Edited by Dave Moore
Sentence Removed by Mod Team
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Like I said Kev, I give up. If you can't tell the difference in the sound, then I was just wasting my time trying to make everything perfect. You can't equalise recordings. Graphic equalisers are for live bands. I wanted to listen to Cliff's spot, and I would have attended on a regular basis if I could actually heard what was being played. If I hadn't gone there with Cliff and Stu, I would have walked straight out.

I notice that Cliff hasn't Dj'ed there since that night. I wonder why?

If you enjoy yourself that's all that matters. But I only go for the music, and I want to be able to recognise what's being played. Boom, boom, boom isn't for me.

May I make a suggestion...if like you suggest Phil the sound isnt right, Im sure that the promoter would be very open if you were to politely contact him & make an offer to help & or advise...you obviously know the accoustics of the room etc, you could then go along & enjoy your self as well, Im sure everryone would love to see you out & about again, I know I would...

Best Russ  

• Helpful 2
Social source share

May I make a suggestion...if like you suggest Phil the sound isnt right, Im sure that the promoter would be very open if you were to politely contact him & make an offer to help & or advise...you obviously know the accoustics of the room etc, you could then go along & enjoy your self as well, Im sure everryone would love to see you out & about again, I know I would...

Best Russ  

I tried on the night Russ, but to no avail.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!