Gut Wrenching Lyrics

Jaco

There's obviously thousands of tracks with evocative and emotive lyrics about relationships etc within the scene, and the thread in the Free Base forum about child custody matters etc made me think, has there ever been a more bitter and damning indictment of a failed relationship than the lyrics of "After all " by Sam Dees.

It is absolute genius if he wrote this song without experiencing the pain that oozes from the grooves - to be honest he is a genius anyhow, but the lines "We can't even be strangers again" and "You won't ever find another sucker like me" must touch a chord with all those who have sadly experienced such events.

So what other lyrics capture the sadness and poigniancy of lost love?

Don't want to appear too depressing - I might be suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Social source share

• Replies 97
  • Views 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest southpaw

There's obviously thousands of tracks with evocative and emotive lyrics about relationships etc within the scene, and the thread in the Free Base forum about child custody matters etc made me think, has there ever been a more bitter and damning indictment of a failed relationship than the lyrics of "After all " by Sam Dees.

It is absolute genius if he wrote this song without experiencing the pain that oozes from the grooves - to be honest he is a genius anyhow, but the lines "We can't even be strangers again" and "You won't ever find another sucker like me" must touch a chord with all those who have sadly experienced such events.

Don't want to appear too depressing - I might be suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Jimmy Bo Horne - I just cant speak
Social source share

"Let Me Down Easy" Betty Lavette..... with a writer named Wreich Holloway, ya kno it gotta be gut wreichin' :D Dale Warren produced perfection IMHO

steve

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Billy Bland - Shes Already Married, complete and utter tear jerker, the Chuck Bernard version isn't quite as painful but as good in a different way if that makes sense.

Social source share

GOOD THREAD TRY CELESTE HARDY -YOU TOUCHED THE INNER PART OF ME ON LOADSTONE ,THE BRILLIANT HERSEY TAYLOR LET ME MAKE YOU HAPPY ON FUTURE STARS,MASQUERADERS ON LA BEAT -ONE MORE CHANCE, AND THE SUBLIMINAL DELLS -THE LOVE WE HAD STAYS ON MY MIND ON CADET TO NAME A FEW.

THE DEEPEST ONES ARE THE BEST.

BAZ A.

Social source share

Natural Impulse "She went away" :D

"I got up this morning in the usual way, girl.. I had a letter from my baby

sayin' that she was goin' away.."

The ultimate lost love song imo.. Gives me the goose bumps each and every

time I hear it.. Gut wrenching..

CB

Edited by cC B
Social source share

Guest smigger

"Let Me Down Easy" Betty Lavette..... with a writer named Wreich Holloway, ya kno it gotta be gut wreichin' :D Dale Warren produced perfection IMHO

steve

Was getting my box ready when I came across it. Stuck it on and had visions of a some one sitting alone at the bar crying into their pint. Thought to myself: Yeah, that's the tune to break any man/woman.

So I opened a new section in my box called "Suicide Cafe". :D

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I've walked away.

I've tried to resist.

But i cant. I have to type it!

You destroy me.

Cos you're stronger than me.

I offered you my poor heart,

you tore my world all apart,

now you wont set me free

Social source share

Hmm just realised all these are my type of song, maybe I am a miserable ba****d after all!!

How about one that keeps getting revisited,

4 Tops _ Ask The Lonely

especially as its crescendo builds

"Just ask the lonely, just ask meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

..... Im the lonliest one you'll seeeeeeeeee"

paraphrasing slightly as taking from memory, can feel a blubber coming on.

The more we discuss this the more I think this is the greatest piece of recorded music ever!

Jock

Social source share

A few that do it for me Eddie Holman's 'I'll cry 1,000 tears', Dusty's 'All cried out' & Dee Dee Warwick's 'Gotta get a hold of myself', all gut wrenching in the true sense.

Simon :shhh:

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

has there ever been a more bitter and damning indictment of a failed relationship than the lyrics of "After all " by Sam Dees.

How about Rozetta Johnson "Mine was real"? Effortlessly capturing the awfulness of being resigned to staying in a failing relationship after a partner has cheated, but knowing that "we'll probably spend the rest of our lives together"....... :)

Freddie Houston: "If I had known"

Said it before & will say it again The Appointments' "Keep Away" - "I don't know what you're you're trying to proooove.....but let me tell you what you'd better do..." you can almost hear the clenched teeth!

And the ultimate 'jilted at the altar song' " Rented Tuxedo" :lol::yes::)

Billy Bland, Betty LaVette, 4 Tops....etc some good ones already mentioned, but aren't Walter Jackson and The Hesitations actually upbeat lyrics? Or have I mis-understood ? :shhh:

Edited by mrs norman maine
Social source share

Al Wilson - The Snake

I cried my eyes out when that tender woman got bit by that snake and he knew damn well what he was doing and know she`s going to die.

the ungrateful reptile :shhh:

Bearsy

Social source share

For me:

I don't care any more - Doris Duke

I can't make it any more - Rickie Havens

I just can't take no more - Jimmy Raye

(seems to be a theme going on :shhh: )

Just to break it -

I absolutely love the lyric "since I've been with you I've been walking into closed doors crying" - Frank Beverley - OUCH!

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Al Wilson - The Snake

I cried my eyes out when that tender woman got bit by that snake and he knew damn well what he was doing and know she`s going to die.

the ungrateful reptile :shhh:

:) I think it served her right to be frank, when she took him in she knew he was potentially dangerous, she really has only got herself to blame.

Add to this list Dee Dee Warwick Don't Think My Babys Coming Back.

Social source share

A few from the top of my head:-

"What Can I Tell Her" Timmy Thomas

Cracked 'em up in the deep room when I played it down at Yarmouth. So good the punters made me play it twice!

"I Don't Care Anymore" Doris Duke

The gritty, tough, hard life tale from "I'm a Loser"

"You Got Me" Jaibi

You got me climbing up the wall!

"I Dont Wanna Leave You" Debbie Taylor

"What Ever Made You Think... I Could Go On Living This Way"

Try To Leave Me If You Can" Bessie Banks

"I Bet You Can't Do It"

"I Keep Coming Back" Tyrone Davis

The man... at his best. The climax just shakes every wall in the house.

"That's How It Is" Otis Clay

Please somebody take their hand... and slap some sense in me!

"These Aint Raindrops" James Carr

No, No...They're Tears

"Not You" Walter Jackson

Someone else... might be untrue... but not you, no not you, no not you!

Devastating!

Sean Hampsey

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

I gotta give it to Smokey Robinson/Miracles' OOH BABY BABY:

"I'm just about at the end of my rope,

But I can't stop trying, I can't give up hope..."

Get me everytime!

Social source share

"What Can I Tell Her" Timmy Thomas

Cracked 'em up in the deep room when I played it down at Yarmouth. So good the punters made me play it twice!

"I Don't Care Anymore" Doris Duke

The gritty, tough, hard life tale from "I'm a Loser"

"You Got Me" Jaibi

You got me climbing up the wall!

"I Dont Wanna Leave You" Debbie Taylor

"What Ever Made You Think... I Could Go On Living This Way"

Try To Leave Me If You Can" Bessie Banks

"I Bet You Can't Do It"

"I Keep Coming Back" Tyrone Davis

The man... at his best. The climax just shakes every wall in the house.

"That's How It Is" Otis Clay

Please somebody take their hand... and slap some sense in me!

"These Aint Raindrops" James Carr

No, No...They're Tears

"Not You" Walter Jackson

Someone else... might be untrue... but not you, no not you, no not you!

Devastating!

Sean Hampsey

Sean, You want to try living in Brimingtom mate, You don't need Tyrone Davis to shake the walls, when an HGV goes by, the windows RUMBLE!!!!!!!!!!!

Some great choices there Mate, Debbie Taylor - "When Was The Last Time You Looked At Me"

What A Fookin' Superb Double Header!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Bulmeister! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

:thumbsup::thumbsup:Do scary evil lyrics at the thought of a failed relationship count???

Aaron Neville - Over You.......... Frightning!

"If I ever hear you say we're through

There'll be a hole about six feet deep

For you baby to take your sleep

Into a pine box an' down you'll go

Where you will stay where it's free of snow

Over you, I said over you

Over you, pretty baby

If I ever hear you say we're through

All your folks will be dressed in black

Ride a long black Cadillac

Yeah, baby they'll be puttin' you away

The funeral home'll have the business that day"

I wouldn't want him for a boyfriend!!!!

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Missin My Baby - clydie king - beat ballad bliss/ soul kitchen 04

11670 refosoul

Got carried away there....... tried to cancel one but they both popped up.

Enjoy Addio!

Edited by MissHongkongfuey
Social source share

Barbara NcNair-Your'e gonna love my baby

Artistics-This heart of mine

David Ruffin-My whole world ended(the moment you left me)

Social source share

Missin My Baby - clydie king - beat ballad bliss/ soul kitchen 04

11670 refosoul

Got carried away there....... tried to cancel one but they both popped up.

Enjoy Addio!

Thanks Miss Hongkongfuey, enjoying already. Always nice when one pops up but two at the same time, what can I say?

Social source share

Hmm just realised all these are my type of song, maybe I am a miserable ba****d after all!!

How about one that keeps getting revisited,

4 Tops _ Ask The Lonely

especially as its crescendo builds

"Just ask the lonely, just ask meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

..... Im the lonliest one you'll seeeeeeeeee"

paraphrasing slightly as taking from memory, can feel a blubber coming on.

The more we discuss this the more I think this is the greatest piece of recorded music ever!

Jock

Got to agree. Another couple that get me ... Originals, Baby i.m for real. Winstons, Colour him father . Tony Clarkes, Wrong Man.

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

To me these kind of songs define soul music itself and set it apart from other forms of music.

Few can deliver a lyric of this type with more power, honesty, humanity and emotional intensity than Otis Clay. Check "You Hurt Me For The Last Time", "Tired Of Falling In And Out Of Love", "The Woman Doesn't Live Here Anymore", "Love Don't Love Nobody", "Pouring Water On A Drowning Man", "You're Gonna Hate Yourself In The Morning" (from the pen of the aforementioned Sam Dees), the immortal "That's How It Is" and my current favourite, "I Lost Someone" for stellar examples of his uncanny ability to translate others' lyrics of pain, regret and recrimination. Truly a spectacular exemplification of the consummate soul singer's art.

But my favourite example of this type of soul song is Denise LaSalle's "Trying To Forget About You". Words can't express how wonderful this record is, and the line on the fade where she sings "... and if I ever find myself crawling to your door again, I'm gonna stay right there, stay right there, until you let me in..." before breaking into what can only be described as an anguished howl is one of the greatest, truest parts in all recorded soul music. The lp version has a precious extra twenty or so seconds of the agony and is well worth seeking out.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Guest geordiebri

Well Isn't this really the epitomy of what soul is all about anyway?

For my money anyway, try these.

Debbie Taylor - I don't wanna leave you

Smokey Robinson - Baby, Baby don't cry.

Four Tops - Just can't get you out of my mind

And of course for pure good old venom you can't go past Marvins -Here my Dear

with classics like

Anger

When Did You Stop Loving Me, When Did I Stop Loving You

You Can Leave, But It's Going to Cost You

I hate the bitch

I hope she dies in a car crash

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

Only joking about the last two.

Social source share

Bessie Banks -Try to leave me

Barbara Hall-Drop my heart off

William Stuckey or Bobby Bland-You can count on me

Sam Dees -signed miss heroin

GC Cameron-Night like this in Georgia

Al Green-How do you mend a broken heart

David Ruffin-Rainy night in Georgia (must be a depressing state!)

David Lasley-Take a look

Social source share

Since it hasn't been mentioned The Drifter - Ray Pollard.

The whole premise of the song - a man unable to cope with the death of his true love and his subsequent descent into homelessness is as gut wrenching as it gets.

Any song with the lines:

"I wasn't always down

once I had a love by my side

a love so strong that money couldn't buy

but heaven called and took her away

out of my arms and left me to wander"

has to take the prize for gut wrenching lyrics.

Edited by sweeney
Social source share

good shout sweens :thumbsup:

guitar ray always gets me too.

but birdie green, how come, is my no1 sad tune for the emotion of the singing

i find a lot of old records sad in a different way - you can hear the hopes and dreams of the artists in the track, recorded on a day they maybe though this was going to be the one that made them big. 40 years on, those dreams have turned to dust, and often so have they.

i find that very poignant and almost eery: try listening to darrel banks, for instance. there he is, singing so beautifully, and not knowing he had a few years to live. very unsettling.

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Well Isn't this really the epitomy of what soul is all about anyway?

Anger

When Did You Stop Loving Me, When Did I Stop Loving You

You Can Leave, But It's Going to Cost You

That whole LP is something else! Marvin really wore his feelings on his sleeve on that one! I remember playing it everyday when I broke up with my ex-fiance 2 years ago, especially YOU CAN LEAVE, BUT IT'S GOING TO COST YOU! :thumbsup:

One more:

I'VE BEEN LOVING YOU TOO LONG-Otis Redding

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

i find a lot of old records sad in a different way - you can hear the hopes and dreams of the artists in the track, recorded on a day they maybe though this was going to be the one that made them big. 40 years on, those dreams have turned to dust, and often so have they.

i find that very poignant and almost eery: try listening to darrel banks, for instance. there he is, singing so beautifully, and not knowing he had a few years to live. very unsettling.

:thumbsup: is there a crying emoticon? Expressed perfectly. This is also the reason I don't like seeing live acts. I get too nervous for them & worry that they might be pinning their hopes on a career revival. How patronising am I?

Someone mentioned Clydie King, so I've got to add " If you were a man"

Plus (ooh I love a sad thread):Charlie Pride-"Don't tear me down" Big Maybelle "Lord what are you doing to me" and "Do not pass me by" and Esther Phillips " Home is where the hatred is"

Oh dear!

Social source share

The whole premise of the song - a man unable to cope with the death of his true love and his subsequent descent into homelessness is as gut wrenching as it gets.

Any song with the lines:

"I wasn't always down

once I had a love by my side

a love so strong that money couldn't buy

but heaven called and took her away

out of my arms and left me to wander"

has to take the prize for gut wrenching lyrics.

Spot on choice

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

And staying with Motown, what about Brenda Holloway "Just Look What You've Done" - "now helplessly I stand watching love walk away..."post-1819-1163787421.gif (<- will that do as a crying emoticon?)

Yes! :thumbsup: That emoticon says it all as well as the song!

Social source share

"I'm Hurt" by Little Tommy. If I'd have heard this 5 years ago when my marraige ended, I probably would have topped myself!

"I'm huuuuurt, much more much more much more than you'll ever ever knooooooowwww!" and sung with such conviction! Great stuff. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert