It's for sale...

5 minutes ago, Gary Lee said:

It don’t matter really what Lee paid for it, it’s what it’s worth to you to own it! Only a select few will be in the market for this rare record and sometimes you just have to have it!! Good luck to all involved 

I doubt anyone will be in the market for it at that price

• Up vote 2
Social source share

If only Berry Gordy and the rest of the " shall we release it or not crew " had said yes , it wouldn't have ever got  this far , great tune when first played ,10k copies later  bootlegs Eddie Foster c/u ,TM decide to release it  in the UK , Clarkie was buying up as many UK demo's available to send to the US , everybody who wanted it had already bought a copy , Another bootleg this time with an instrumental, countless reissues & " Test Pressings " why is  this Holy Grail unwanted so soon after the record news breaking price , why would you would put it back on the market so soon , makes you wonder , has somebody found a few  more ??? purely speculation of course ,but these days nothing would surprise me ."Pops , We Love You " lol 

Edited by Happy Feet
Spelling error
Social source share

58 minutes ago, Woodbutcher said:

Nothing strange about it , he's a greedy b'stad ... one look at his site will confirm that ... :rolleyes:

I do agree regarding greed. Money seems to be motivation rather than the love of the record which they eulogized after buying. Was including Kenny Burrell as much as this fella.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

17 hours ago, Mike said:

Ok sales info passed on , shall we leave it at that till/if sold?

ok it does seem that people want to still talk bout this often repeated subject so will leave this topic open for just a bit longer

have your say but as per our terms of use do ask all to avoid making any abusive comments about anyone etc etc

mike

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I know that we have heard this record so many times and yes I think it is totally over priced, I think it has been since Kenny sold it.. but if it had never been booted or reissued and we so rarely got to hear it.. I think these comments would be totally different.  Its not a bad record we've just heard it too much.  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Just now, Greedy Mick said:

I know that we have heard this record so many times and yes I think it is totally over priced, I think it has been since Kenny sold it.. but if it had never been booted or reissued and we so rarely got to hear it.. I think these comments would be totally different.  Its not a bad record we've just heard it too much.  

Absolutely agree , it's a fine record that has been overplayed and became a weird hate figure.

Lots of worse stuff out there but that's a different topic.

Social source share

I personally think that Lee is testing the water to see what could really be achieved for this record.. if money isn’t a problem then you might have a deal for bragging rights .. honestly If it was mine and I wanted out of it I’d be happy to take a small profit on it or even get my money back!! Opinions we all have them !! 

Social source share

11 minutes ago, Gary Lee said:

I personally think that Lee is testing the water to see what could really be achieved for this record.. if money isn’t a problem then you might have a deal for bragging rights .. honestly If it was mine and I wanted out of it I’d be happy to take a small profit on it or even get my money back!! Opinions we all have them !! 

But I thought that it was unanimous understood that when Lee "won" it from JM's auction for a staggering figure of 98K it was only for the vanity narrative of it... Presumably for the "love" of the track...  With a father to son tale... And a protocole 'movie' to go with the record handling from the seller to the buyer.

Never to be sold again for such worth (not even mentioning a profit) as it was already ridiculously overpriced. When Kenny bought it from Tim early 2000 or so back then many thought 15K was already an 'overkill'... Years later Kenny strike luck with a successful "smart drink" company's profit bid on JM's just below 100K !!!

Who will save Lee from such shameful investment now ? Am not certain Motown freaks can afford that. Some Chinese or Emirate investor maybe ? As most here have pointed many will "ban" the dance floor (like many did when Kenny played it back then) if ever an "ambitious" dee-jay plays it. Even more so this copy !

Social source share

11 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

But I thought that it was unanimous understood that when Lee "won" it from JM's auction for a staggering figure of 98K it was only for the vanity narrative of it... Presumably for the "love" of the track...  With a father to son tale... And a protocole 'movie' to go with the record handling from the seller to the buyer.

Never to be sold again for such worth (not even mentioning a profit) as it was already ridiculously overpriced. When Kenny bought it from Tim early 2000 or so back then many thought 15K was already an 'overkill'... Years later Kenny strike luck with a successful "smart drink" company's profit bid on JM's just below 100K !!!

Who will save Lee from such shameful investment now ? Am not certain Motown freaks can afford that. Some Chinese or Emirate investor maybe ? As most here have pointed many will "ban" the dance floor (like many did when Kenny played it back then) if ever an "ambitious" dee-jay plays it. Even more so this copy !

Wasn't £98k, was much less than that, I've heard less than 50k

Social source share

Internationally there is VAST amount of wealth out there, and a lot of multi-millionaires and billionaires - it just takes one of them to have a bit of interest in either general record collecting/N Soul etc then it becomes a bit like me buying a Twix or a Milky Way. To a few, money becomes irrelevant. Hate to say it but probably will sell.

PS The above is NOT me🙄

Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

Wasn't £98k, was much less than that, I've heard less than 50k

OK was told that... My bad. After searching and reading on the net about it (not that such NS soap drama is my feed) I didn't know that Kenny actually sold that copy few years after in 2009 for 25K before that 'ghost' let it go through JM's notarial's hands upon's Lee's desire in acquisition for an undisclosed bail bounty sum.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

57 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

OK was told that... My bad. After searching and reading on the net about it (not that such NS soap drama is my feed) I didn't know that Kenny actually sold that copy few years after in 2009 for 25K before that 'ghost' let it go through JM's notarial's hands upon's Lee's desire in acquisition for an undisclosed bail bounty sum.

...and I believe that it went  to Kenny via AngloAmerican (Tim Brown/Martin Koppel),it was them who had originally  found it...

Edited by Mgm 1251
Social source share

1 hour ago, Gary Lee said:

😂 theses prices are unbelievable.. I’m not going to disclose what Lee actually paid for the record but theses figures are ridiculous it was definitely a lot less.. honestly good luck to him whatever he gets for it now

If the figures being bandied about are ridiculous, why is he asking £150k for it?

I get he can ask what he likes for it, but £150k? Now that is ridiculous. 

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Mgm 1251 said:

...and I believe that it went  to Kenny via AngloAmerican (Tim Brown/Martin Koppel),it was who had originally  found it...

OK, good to know. What I remember is at the very first 'Togetherness Week Ender' (and my last) Kenny Burrel's spot was full of rare fantastic tunes. I admit to that. But with the alleged rumors of splashed-out money to acquire all those easy peasy it gave me an unpleasant after taste to it all.

So I just sat and listened to that 'rare soul orgy'... Not my kind of dee-jay spot to be honest. A bit 'look what I got' and / or rather 'impersonal' if you ask me. Of those I've heard enough for too long. To a bore and more. Such spoiling of great records independently has something almost nauseating.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Modularman said:

If the figures being bandied about are ridiculous, why is he asking £150k for it?

I get he can ask what he likes for it, but £150k? Now that is ridiculous. 

Given the prices on his old man’s site it ain’t so ridiculous 😂

Also there was a newspaper article with a picture of him holding the record and stood next to a Ferrari and it stating he had paid 100k for the record,sure it was early last year?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, Gary Lee said:

😂 theses prices are unbelievable.. I’m not going to disclose what Lee actually paid for the record but theses figures are ridiculous it was definitely a lot less.. honestly good luck to him whatever he gets for it now

Give us a clue ? As all the evidence, from the media says he did pay 100k , " Make him an offer , he. can't refuse " I seem to remember was also in the sales pitch ,,,, 

• Up vote 2
Social source share