Rarest White Demo

• Replies 298
  • Views 34.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

On 13/12/2021 at 09:46, Woodbutcher said:

This must be pretty high on the list ... :thumbsup:

image.png.b97c304b95ec1808c17171a8318c0d4e.pngimage.png.b97c304b95ec1808c17171a8318c0d4e.png

I remember seeing this while it was still a live auction. It messed with my head because I knew it shouldn't exist so I didn't even put a watch on it. It probably went to the right guy really cos if someone like me won it, Nobody would believe it was real.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, The Yank said:

I'll be honest with you- I "found" those scans on discogs.  Maybe Santa will bring me those for X- Mas ! 

I have a handful of Chicago acetates and vinyl studio demos and another couple of handsful of rare Chicago white DJ issues I found in thrift stores in Chicagoland and The Tri-State Area over the years,  But not that Sable Record.  Although, I bought The Magnetics' store stock issues.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 14/12/2021 at 08:10, Merve said:

Andre Maurice - Cream of The Crop on a white Bale demo is hard. Not expensive if you can find one, (paid £80 for mine), but try finding one ! 

The blue label issues turned up in large quantities not long after the initial plays but I don't remember seeing any white demos at the time . Still not seen any more and discogs doesn't seem to list any.

A record that used to fetch a good price,( or even better swops), but now under a fiver.

DSCF8292.thumb.JPG.527643947a2dda2cbe746bcb6182019b.JPG

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Definitely not the rarest WD but one I've always liked and somehow kept after selling most other records.

DSCF8295.thumb.JPG.967d324d369cbf871c7c4f1eb730ff2d.JPG

Soul Bowl had a huge quantity of the Sue group of labels around 1974/5 which after John had taken all the NS, Belgian and Japan titles sold the rest to Global Records. I had to go through these to see if there was anything suitable for the Surinam scene in The Netherlands. Out of the thousands and thousands of records there were no white demos (or coloured demos) on any title. This seemed strange as  Sue was a well established company who must have needed to supply radio and TV stations , maybe they pressed only what they thought was needed. White demos seem to be done for most titles but I wonder if there are any that people haven't come across.

A Global list from 1986 so they still had stocks of some titles

DSCF8293.JPG

Edited by Rick Cooper
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Rick Cooper said:

Definitely not the rarest WD but one I've always liked and somehow kept after selling most other records.

DSCF8295.thumb.JPG.967d324d369cbf871c7c4f1eb730ff2d.JPG

Soul Bowl had a huge quantity of the Sue group of labels around 1974/5 which after John had taken all the NS, Belgian and Japan titles sold the rest to Global Records. I had to go through these to see if there was anything suitable for the Surinam scene in The Netherlands. Out of the thousands and thousands of records there were no white demos (or coloured demos) on any title. This seemed strange as  Sue was a well established company who must have needed to supply radio and TV stations , maybe they pressed only what they thought was needed. White demos seem to be done for most titles but I wonder if there are any that people haven't come across.

A Global list from 1986 so they still had stocks of some title

DSCF8293.JPG

Is Nolan Chance on Bunky  a rare white demo?

Social source share

43 minutes ago, Rick Cooper said:

The blue label issues turned up in large quantities not long after the initial plays but I don't remember seeing any white demos at the time . Still not seen any more and discogs doesn't seem to list any.

A record that used to fetch a good price,( or even better swops), but now under a fiver.

DSCF8292.thumb.JPG.527643947a2dda2cbe746bcb6182019b.JPG

I bought one last year for 80. It's the same one as l had years ago l could tell by the writing on the label.  Haven't seen any others for sale, have you?

Social source share

3 hours ago, Tricky said:

I have a White Demo of Andre Maurice.Took me years and years to finally get one.

Another toughie from that era is White Demo of I don’t know what foot to dance on,Kim Tolliver.

Never seen a Kim Toliver demo let alone had the chance to buy one ! Have you got one ?

Social source share

13 minutes ago, Merve said:

What sort of price do you & Tricky recon one would fetch ? Although not 'in demand' I recon it would still stir a feeding frenzy amongst collectors

I Paid £40 for Kim and £50 for Andre. For the amount of time I had been looking for them I was well pleased.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Merve said:

What sort of price do you & Tricky recon one would fetch ? Although not 'in demand' I recon it would still stir a feeding frenzy amongst collectors

I bought mine from a Tim Brown list about 3 or 4 years ago (at a guess). I think it was about £60 ish, graded VG+. If I hadn't got this one, I'd certainly be keen to pick it up in an auction, and happily bid much higher.

I think you're right about in not being "in demand" and therefore the price wouldn't reflect the rarity of the demo. I can't see ANY demo's on popsike!!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Wow!  I've never seen nor heard of either the Kim Tolliver or the Porgy Williams.  at least , I knew there must be other Sylves records than the Porgy and The Monarchs.  But, I've never seen a Castro record before.  Freddie Briggs producing Kim Tolliver.  I'd have guessed it was an East Coast (probably New York Metro Area label).  But the label design and font look like Midwest.  Does anyone here know who owned Castro and where it was located?

• Up vote 2
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Robbk said:

Wow!  I've never seen nor heard of either the Kim Tolliver or the Porgy Williams.  at least , I knew there must be other Sylves records than the Porgy and The Monarchs.  But, I've never seen a Castro record before.  Freddie Briggs producing Kim Tolliver.  I'd have guessed it was an East Coast (probably New York Metro Area label).  But the label design and font look like Midwest.  Does anyone here know who owned Castro and where it was located?

background label info etc can be had here

Kim Tolliver - Then and Now sad news - Soul Source (soul-source.co.uk)

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/articles/soul-articles/kim-tolliver-then-and-now-sad-news-r277/

Social source share

1 hour ago, Source said:

background label info etc can be had here

Kim Tolliver - Then and Now sad news - Soul Source (soul-source.co.uk)

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/articles/soul-articles/kim-tolliver-then-and-now-sad-news-r277/

I hate being old and having most of the last half of my life's memory unretrievable until I see or hear something that triggers it!  Of course, I knew that Kim was from Cleveland, and was married to Freddie.  And he produced records mainly on The East Coast, but a few in Cleveland, too.

Edited by Robbk
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Tricky said:

I Paid £40 for Kim and £50 for Andre. For the amount of time I had been looking for them I was well pleased.

I would say bargains at those prices. I was quite chuffed to get Andre for £80 & would happily pay the same or a bit more for Kim 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

23 minutes ago, The Yank said:

Is the Porgy Williams shown above a later issue of this Porgy 45 (which has the same release # as the Porgy and the Monarchs "That's My Girl" ? 

Sylves.jpg

Porgy.jpg

Yes.The blue issue has Lets form a committee on the flip. The Demo is a different mix of the song with the Instrumental on flip on the issue.

The Demo is mono stereo of vocal.

I have both as they are as good as each other in my opinion.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Theothertosspot said:

Think these two, I think, are hard to get on demo;

Continental 4 - The Way I Love You 

Mighty Marvelows - Talkin About You Baby

Any thoughts 💭 

Agree on Continental 4 👍

Wouldn't have thought Mighty Marvelows so much - 2 on discogs at the moment 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Baldsoulie said:

Still not found another white/black text  The Furys.  Just A Little Mixed Up You / I'm Satisfied With You.

Anyone else?

the furys.jpg

Very nice.

Black text are Demos but not many say DJ copy.

I thing Watts 103rd Street states it.

Never seen black Bobby Womack or Fidels.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, Wheelsville1 said:

I have seen several Mighty Marvelows over the years,however the continetal 4 is very scarce. 

Yes. The Mighty Marvelows was easy to get on WDJ when it was out.  But, I've seen very few of The Continental 4 (of course, the fact I was in Chicago, rather than Pittsburgh, might explain those two points.

Social source share

On 18/12/2021 at 18:03, The Yank said:

Is the Porgy Williams shown above a later issue of this Porgy 45 (which has the same release # as the Porgy and the Monarchs "That's My Girl" ? 

Sylves.jpg

Porgy.jpg

Pretty sure it's 74/75 and just before the grey release which has the instrumental and strange using the same number as 1968 release 

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert