Hey Mate Can't You Play Something Decent Like

Mick Webb's (aka Cockney Mick) message over the mike at a scooterist nite when asked to play something by The Who:

"Now look - let me make one thing clear. I'm here to play 60s soul music, not f*cking sh*t like the Who, the Stones, the Kinks or any of that f*cking crap".

Amen, that man!

Edited by Gene-R
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Mid spot -- very recently -- a lady asked if I could play something by Nolan Porter---- I pointed at the deck to the record which was playing and about half way through--- "If I could only be sure".. oh have you got anything else by him ?

Are they deaf as well as thick ?

Rob

Excellent rob, and yes most are deaf!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I was playing at the 'Halifax Free Soul Club' on New years eve eve, and this 'young' lady asked me to play something that everyone would dance to :)

I said, If you can tell me one that will GUARANTEE that EVERYONE will dance, then I will play it. She thought, went away for a while and came back shortly saying 'Something new to do', I said OK but if EVERYONE doesn't dance I'll take it off :) . Just at the very minute it was time to change the record that I was playing and I put on 'Little Anthony - use your head', the dance floor packed instantly, and she said "Oh! it's OK this will do" and went off to dance. :)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Drunk customer; 'Can you play summat I like?'

Me; 'What do you like?'

Drunk customer; 'I dunno........'

I've had this conversation more times than I care to remember!

:lamsey:

A woman comes up and says "Mr DJ" (which i'm not by the way,just playing a few given chance) have you got something we all know,refering to a group of blokes and women she was with,i was just setting away the Autographs and i said here's one for you !! ooooo i don't know that, so i said well tell me what you would like and i'll tell you if i have it with me,oooooo i don't know !! any we might know,i said well if you don't tell me i don't know what you might know......it went on until she gave up and knocked the record on the way down !!!! they were all leaving early either through me :D taxi actually it was, she started ranting about what was the point of playing what i had as hardly anyone was dancing !!!! which was true except those dancing knew and appreciated what they were hearing which were all top class underplayed oldies those not we can do without ,in my opinion of course.

So i shouted get yourselves out of the town and learn something.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Mick Webb's (aka Cockney Mick) message over the mike at a scooterist nite when asked to play something by The Who:

"Now look - let me make one thing clear. I'm here to play 60s soul music, not f*cking sh*t like the Who, the Stones, the Kinks or any of that f*cking crap".

Amen, that man!

Thanks for that, I will make sure I never ever, go to hear aka cockney mick, at any scooter rally I go to

Cos if he thinks the first 2 Kinks albums are shit then he is an absolute knob shite and I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire,

or you for that matter, but then again I bet neither of you have heard the first 2 Kinks albums.

absolute w****rs

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks for that, I will make sure I never ever, go to hear aka cockney mick, at any scooter rally I go to

Cos if he thinks the first 2 Kinks albums are shit then he is an absolute knob shite and I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire,

or you for that matter, but then again I bet neither of you have heard the first 2 Kinks albums.

absolute w****rs

Calm down Dekka!

Cockney Mick retired 20 years ago.

And Gene is a good bloke.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Alright mate.

Thats one of those - type it - then step away from the keyboard for 2 minutes to make sure you want to post it - type of moments :lol:

I like all the Kinks Pye albums...

I guess your right mate,

just love my early British RnB, especially the Kinks :D

I have the first 2 albums and just love them so much :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The Whos first lp is great as is the Kinks...Stones one the jurys out on although i love Satanic Majesties and prefer it to Pepper...id rather hear The Open Mind lp above any of it though...my amusing story is im deejaying to a full floor in london and ive got Oh Happy Day on and im looking at a girl dancing...i then play Jackie Moores Heart Be Still...cue girl walking over....do you have to play this seventies shit!! @.!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

absolute w****rs

You really got me going there Dekka. :lol:

Social source share

"Ere mate - have you got...."

"Contrast by Edwin Starr"

"Spirally by Ce Ce Pedastal"

"Tooth-ache" (True Faith and Final Cut)

"Pea's, Pie, Pudding in my Mind" (The Bucketheads)

"Sea-lions Ten Feet Tall" - Sweeter Than the Day Before - The Valentinos (do it, it works)

I've been asked for 'peas, pie, pudding chips and gray - aye- veee' - bucketheads too!

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

Off on a slight tangent, but the Cockney Mick story reminded me of one I witnessed in the mid eighties.

The braindead right had adopted (anarchist band!) Angelic Upstart's 'England' as their anthem, everytime it's played there was a group of people pointing at pigeons...

I was stood on the stage at Peterborough, waiting my spot and (IIRC) Jon Buck (It was a long time ago...) cued it up and as it opened came out with the wonderful comment 'If you've more limbs than braincells raise your arm'. I nearly fell off the stage laughing as the usual response was forthcoming....

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

just love my early British RnB, especially the Kinks :D

Sorry a bit off topic - but the first record player we had in our house was Christmas 1964. As soon as the shops were open I was straight out to the local record shop and buying all the EP's I could afford. Only 12 years old but I can remember 2 X Rolling Stones, Kinks, Moody Blues, Pretty Things etc. British R&B entered my DNA there and then. Still love it to this day. :D

Social source share

Amen, that man!

Yep. That would indeed be Mick. In my mind, I can hear the words leaving his lips................

Social source share

I once had a chinese guy ask for, 'itchy fanny', Never heard of I says, so he keep asking , 'I wanna hear itchy fanny, i wanna hear itchy fanny'. He asked for it all night, over and over again. So finially I said to him, go on then, how's it go? and he sings......................

'itchy fanny- how we dont talk anymore'.........da da der dum..

A great joke but I know it as him asking for "tits and fanny" (has to be done in a Chinese 'accent')

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I once had a chinese guy ask for, 'itchy fanny', Never heard of I says, so he keep asking , 'I wanna hear itchy fanny, i wanna hear itchy fanny'. He asked for it all night, over and over again. So finially I said to him, go on then, how's it go? and he sings......................

'itchy fanny- how we dont talk anymore'.........da da der dum..

Social source share

Guest Krissii

A fun topic with some good natured replies but as a punter who often does not know song titles/artists

...note to self , dont attend events where paying customers are described by djs as

"tw*ts"

"deaf"

"thick"

"stupid and thick"

Edited by Krissii
Social source share

A few years ago when I was doubledecking a guy came up to me and asked me to play Wigans Ovation's Ski-ing In The Snow off an LP he was holding. I kept a straight face and explained I'd got my set sorted out, perhaps the next DJ on would play it. The guy who had requested it was a big bloke, much bigger than me so I didn't want any trouble. As you can guess the next DJ didn't oblige him.

This thread has given me more laughs than anything I've read in ages.

Social source share

A fun topic with some good natured replies but as a punter who often does not know song titles/artists

...note to self , dont attend events where paying customers are described by djs as

"tw*ts"

"deaf"

"thick"

"stupid and thick"

You'll not be out much this year then ... :-)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Krissii

You'll not be out much this year then ... :-)

On the contrary . At the events i attend (both classic and underplayed)

the dj's seem lovely , approachable and polite :)

Social source share

These exchanges are always a bit more fun with a language barrier, as I live in Denmark now and my limited Danish either comes off as chunky and awkward or kind-of smart assy.

I was playing last thursday eve at a pretty mellow cocktail bar/restaurant kind of gig, more an excuse to eat some nice food with the lady and have some drinks than a serious gig, but usually fun all the same.

a crew of 3 or 4 Copenhagen "Inner City" types (usually pretty boorish and posh "yuppies") came up to me at the bar while I dashed for another pint in between records, so I didn't have much time to talk anyhow, and asked me if I was the DJ that night. I replied to them "yes". They asked me if I could play some "dance music" (can't remember which record was spinning, but it was definitely an uptempo number). I bluntly told them "I'm playing dance music right now. I'll be playing dance music like this all night", but apparently my Danish tone wasn't too friendly, and as I bounded back to the booth to switch over to the next record, I looked up and all 3-4 of them scowling in unison while the record faded out. If I'd had a mic I would have surely dedicated the next number to them, "here's more fantastic dance music for the folks at the bar!"

They hurriedly drank their cocktails and presumably scowled on off to the next club where they could grind their parts together on the dancefloor to some ignorant drivel.

Social source share

i got asked by a lady to play Duffy and i replied i dont know it, 10 minutes later her female friend came up and asked me to play Duffy, again i said i dont know it, she replied, you must know it everyone is playing it and its no1 in the charts, i replied. best you go back to your car and put radio 1 on they play it every 10 minutes to which she mimbled louldy some rude things about my head and my bottom, 20 miuntes later after i finshed my set i was telling Maarie about the requests and she just laughed and then said to me, oh you have not met my friends before have you there lovely and ive not seen them for agaes, she turned around and tapped this women on her shoulder and said, this is my partner Paul to which then they both replied, yeah we met him and he dont play requests :lol: i then had to explain why i dont own a copy of Duffy but bringing a shovel with me that night would of been useful :D

Edited by Bearsy
Social source share

i got asked by a lady to play Duffy and i replied i dont know it, 10 minutes later her female friend came up and asked me to play Duffy, again i said i dont know it, she replied, you must know it everyone is playing it and its no1 in the charts, i replied. best you go back to your car and put radio 1 on they play it every 10 minutes to which she mimbled louldy some rude things about my head and my bottom, 20 miuntes later after i finshed my set i was telling Maarie about the requests and she just laughed and then said to me, oh you have not met my friends before have you there lovely and ive not seen them for agaes, she turned around and tapped this women on her shoulder and said, this is my partner Paul to which then they both replied, yeah we met him and he dont play requests :lol: i then had to explain why i dont own a copy of Duffy but bringing a shovel with me that night would of been useful :D

Why were you thinking of battering them over the head and burying them if they asked you again?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Why were you thinking of battering them over the head and burying them if they asked you again?

would of been easier to chuck them straight off the pier or just of jumped off meself Pete :lol:

Social source share

Ok Pete, how ya doin mate :thumbsup:

sorry gene, my apoligies

That's what you get for being judgemental (stupid) about someone you don't know from Adam.

And yes - for your education, which you obviously need plenty of, and information, I have heard the first 2 Kinks LPs; in fact I have a lovely copy of "Kinda Kinks" in my British beat collection which I will never part with. Got anything else to add to your inarticulate, abusive rant then?

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!