Ever Felt An Idiot

well ady,the Margie joseph track is great & the other side "nobody" is getting current spins.

same happened to me with   the soulful twins / cant let you go / sable.

was @ spiders web anniv in Edinburgh about 4 years ago & this came on.said to my mate tubbs,wow this is amazing.

then he tells me I had it years ago,once he reminded me what it was.it all came back,£8 buy from pete widdison,lol.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

well ady,the Margie joseph track is great & the other side "nobody" is getting current spins.

same happened to me with   the soulful twins / cant let you go / sable.

was @ spiders web anniv in Edinburgh about 4 years ago & this came on.said to my mate tubbs,wow this is amazing.

then he tells me I had it years ago,once he reminded me what it was.it all came back,£8 buy from pete widdison,lol.

You're right, this used to be on a par with something like Cody Black on Ram Brock, in fact they probably came out of the same soul packs, it's so inferior to The Magnetics that nobody wanted it. That's the truth.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You're right, this used to be on a par with something like Cody Black on Ram Brock, in fact they probably came out of the same soul packs, it's so inferior to The Magnetics that nobody wanted it. That's the truth.

I must like it now pete,im on my fourth copy,lol.

Social source share

Also has the benefit of Jerry's sublime rendition of 'I've Been Trying' on the flip - which I believe is the first released version..

You just beat me to that comment.....  was this released before the Impressions Keep On Pushing LP?  according to to cat45 and wikipedia it was by about 4mths

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

nice version by sonny childe on uk decca also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKYGX9mZ8ww

One of my discoveries. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I must have recorded this for half the population of the UKin the 80's.  I mentioned this before but one day in London in 1988 I found a copy of this at Out On The Floor, a demo copy for £3, but I left it cos I'd already got it.  I went back 3 years later and it was still there, so I bought it.  Nobody took any notice of it in 3 years...

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

I'm amazed at the number of long-time soul fans who hear what I assume is a well-known track (quite often by a well-known artist) and look a bit embarrassed when they say they've never heard it before - and immediately begin to search for a copy before they sometimes realise they already have a copy!

But there should be no embarrassment whatsoever because it's a good thing for all of us to suddenly find new favourites with things which for some reason we previously overlooked or didn't appreciate.

Our own collections are full of hidden gems.

Paul

Social source share

So I was down the Majestic near Liverpool St, for some soul and shandy and this record kicked off sounding like a Superbs track I didn't know-I'm a big fan. Then a rich male baritone broke out with a glorious production which absolutely slayed me. I asked a knowledgeable DJ I was stood with who it was and he admitted he didn't know either but we both felt the voice was familiar. Having a suspicion that soul veteran John Marriot would know I popped over to the other side of the bar to ask him and he told me-Jerry Butler 'Giving Up On Love' on Vee Jay.

Yes a fantastic record that Ady. Coincidently, Adam played it the other week at 'The Den', and said to me "If you don't know this - Get one!". I didn't know it, and have since 'done what I was told', managing to get one easily.

Ain't it great though? As in, after all these years (More so you, than me) :D, that there's still bits out there that have passed you bye, and you still get to say "What the f*ck is this?!!!"

Great stuff :wink: 

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

P.s - See post 2 on this thread -  knows, it would be great for you if you haven't heard the track on post 3 either. I always get loads ask about it when I play it, Adam was having kittens about it because it was one that had past him bye.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

So I was down the Majestic near Liverpool St, for some soul and shandy and this record kicked off sounding like a Superbs track I didn't know-I'm a big fan. Then a rich male baritone broke out with a glorious production which absolutely slayed me. I asked a knowledgeable DJ I was stood with who it was and he admitted he didn't know either but we both felt the voice was familiar. Having a suspicion that soul veteran John Marriot would know I popped over to the other side of the bar to ask him and he told me-Jerry Butler 'Giving Up On Love' on Vee Jay.

When my face had cooled down I expressed amazement that I'd never actually heard it before though I'd seen it a hundred times and probably had filed it in my collection meaning to play it once I had a bit more time. John and Jeff took comfort in the fact that there are still old new records for us all to "discover" and indeed it's amazing/shameful the amount of tracks that hit you like that; Margie Joseph's 'What You Gonna Do' was another one last night and Bobby Womack 'Something For My Head' shot into my current top ten when I heard it on Tony Rounce's Phillip Mitchell Songs CD.

As a footnote Majestic is exactly my kind of club Betty Everett 'The Shoe Won't Fit' and Johnny Nash 'I'm So Glad You're My baby' also got spun; at 61 I need sounds/tempos like those.t

Nothing better than getting caught out and blown away by something new, what a feeling indeed and something that happens to me often.... Been a massive Jerry Butler fan many moons and that track Ady is something very special in my life... One day i was round a mates house and on comes another version,  new to my ears,it blew me away, never thought anything could come near my beloved Jerry...... A special track indeed and i am always happy to play or hear either version....

edit.... Just seen the track posted above about the same tune.... That man Pinch as great taste indeed....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-W-SBywiOk

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

I was at Yarmouth this year, the worse for wear with the black stuff and this amazing track boomed out of the speakers on the Saturday night with a very familiar voice I just couldn't trace.

On asking....'Its Johnnie Taylor, ' I just wonna testify....'

Oh dear, Ive only had it about 25 years and never played it that I can remember.

And I call myself a Soul fan :(

Clueless

Jim

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

The iceman !!! And majestic is run by the three nicest guys !

Was talking to a guy in new York about soul and I was raving about Barbara Mason 'you better stop it', he had unsurprisingly never heard of it ... But was stunned when I never knew 'yes, I'm ready' . The shame of it, but true!

Social source share

Ady one of the things i've always respected about you was admitting you didn't know a tune. The amount of tunes you have put everyone onto is unreal.

Always a pleasure to be part of Majestic Soul and spin great soul monthly. Incidentally it was James from 'sounds of the Universe' shop that spun the Jerry Butler.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest FrostyJak

i have a lot of love for "need to belong" a lovely record

jason

Follow it with "I Dig You Baby" & "Find Another Girl" stuff that got me into soul 

Social source share

At Majestic Binsy played One Step At A Time by Maxine Brown. I suggested that he flip it over some time and listen to the b side, Anything For A Laugh, lovely ballad. Loads of good b sides that we don't play or have forgotten about because they weren't what we wanted to hear years ago. As for Jerry Butler, surely one of the greatest soul singers ever, so many great records, although my favourite period for him is his VeeJay time.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You flick through your records thinking everyone knows this everyone knows that, then you get into conversations about records and low and behold "don't know it" spoke to a so called "big name" DJ a few years ago, " Ultimations, Would I do it over, sorry mate, never heard it" or a very well known dealer, "Albert Jones is my favourite artist"  "is he, then what do you think of Up to the sun" "sorry mate, don't know it" came the reply, no shame in admitting you don't know records, everyone has something that a lot of people won,t know

Kev

up to the sun......brilliant turn-of-the-decade detroit offering from this distinguished vocalist, on bumpshop.....bought this a few years ago off henry atkinson having heard it decades before...no one knew it then,...and virtually no one knows it now...thats the intrigue, must be the most sought after of that catalogue, i paid £150 i think...almost a gospel style...would have been huge at the mecca, such was their liking for the off-the-wall. :thumbsup:

Social source share

jerry butler's version of brother billy's, "the right track" ( unissued ) is outstanding......with a staggering mike terry sax break.

Unissued, really!? That might explain why I've had no luck finding a copy of the lp I was told it was on! Been looking since about 2006!

You can add me to the jerry butler fan club, one of the best ever. My favourite being the 'aware of love' lp...wow.

Love that strawberries track Steve, sort of terry callier style, new to me

Social source share

What about this one then...pre dates the Impressions - superb

Outstanding... but then we all know that..

Not Mayfield related,  actually the threads not about that is it? laughs... but Ive always loved Freddy Cole - I'd have it made, his voice just reeks of Nat king Cole to me, beautiful Beat ballad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rliumvFuWDA

Mal.C

Edited by Mal.C.
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Unissued, really!? That might explain why I've had no luck finding a copy of the lp I was told it was on! Been looking since about 2006!

You can add me to the jerry butler fan club, one of the best ever. My favourite being the 'aware of love' lp...wow.

Love that strawberries track Steve, sort of terry callier style, new to me

it's one of 4 tracks never released, that appear on a u.s. only double cd, entitled "iceman - the mercury years" issued in 1990, long since deleted, but i got mine online, so now you have the info, have a trawl and you may come across a copy, let me know how you get on. :thumbsup:

Social source share

....bu**er me Ady...that must be twice you've felt like an idiot in your life.....!!! Now...and when i;d finished me first spot at yours....shirley...???!!!..hehe!!!x

Super stuff mate....am all ears...X

LUV
SOOTY
X

I swopped me Lester Tipton on Grapevine at Blackburn one night....walked in all excited.....got this dealer rush up to get me to hear this 'new' tune...an instrumental.....and he said it is raaaare...and it'd be awesome for that night to spin!! A straight swap he said.....I had the whole Grapevine collection....and he wanted Lester or Al....and I let him have Lester for a straight swap after i';d heard it on headphones! I played it during me set......got away with it...sounded awesome....and went home! That was about '96! Well...the next week....I went to a Boot Sale. I found a record by the same group on my instrumental......and so I turned it over....and there it was.......on the B! The tune? Train To Nowhere...The Champs....B side of Tequila........and.......and...I see it for 20p EVERY WEEK since at boot sales. I hope your moment of idiocy doesn't haunt you like mine has...........siiiiighhhhh......every flippin' week i'm reminded....not fair....it just ain't!hehe!x

@@
~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgd17TXJ93M

....the only person going anywhere was the dealer steaming off wiv me Lester......poo!!!hehe..X Folk did dance tho'....they did...!x...and this won't change......!x

Edited by SOOTY
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!