Would This Be Classed As An "inspired" Djing?

This is just hypothetical discussion, basically earlier I was listening through some Kent LPs and in particular Shoes for the first time. And to my surprise "The Tams - Be Young, Be Foolish, Be Happy" came on. I was surprised in amongst tunes I was familiar with and new to me tunes, such a all time classic was on there. It instantly pepped me up and made me want to move!  

So, the question is... Say, you are DJing at a well respected night/nighter, you are playing set of underplayed gems and rarities. But, in the middle of your set you bang on song like The Tams and pack the floor. Would this be an inspired choice or lazy DJing?

This discussion goes against the tide a little on here, and I'm not suggesting any old "classic" would be classic as inspired DJing. But stuff like the Tams and Curtis Mayfields - Move On Up are brilliant tunes and stand the test of time.

This topic is just meant as a bit of fun. :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAfaR6IuO-4

Edited by NorthernJordan
Social source share

well if you take a risk, it won't always come off [ risk  = uncertainty ]

but if it works, and the buzz level increases, sometimes with a roar of approval, [ alright sometimes a murmur of approval ], then it def makes it worthwhile

and if it doesn't work, wait till the tumbleweeds have blown over the dance floor and move on

all in M.H.O of course

pete

• Helpful 1
Social source share

sometimes when I am out a dj puts on a series of sounds which gets the place bouncing and you wonder what is going to be played next, does this resonate with dj,s  when they have the floor and then what do they play next , a lazy record ie an oldie floor packer or something else ,

Social source share

Taste and opinion, but for e Curtis 'move on up' is for ever, while the Tams 'be young, be foolish but be happy' was and still is a never for me. Up lifting and with a drive... It's POP music IMHO. Even while talking with friends as a request when I was "DJ'ing", I could not compromise since I never kept a copy of 'BYBFBH'. Easy does it ! At the same time I totally digged the reason of the  request and as such your quest around it. Nothing against the Tams on my behalf, on the contrary; I still crave their 45 'hey girl don't bother me' B/W 'take away' 45 brilliant and common two sider. But maybe much more than their all their other stuffs. And 'be young' being one of them, I could never get exited about it music nor lyric wise. So indeed, a kind of "doubled eged sword" spin for a DJ like said above depending on the crowd. If played, I would quit the dance floor while friends of mine would pack it up with enthousiasm...

Social source share

Have a look at a Mark Freeman set - always something like that thrown in from what I've seen and makes for an interesting playlist, I like someone not afraid to play a truly forgotten oldie, that's why things like Bits & Pieces and Johnny Howard go big second time around - there must be stacks of these records lying dormant.  I look forward to the John Gary - Hang On To Me (RCA) revival.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

there cant be many beginnings better than this I spin it now and again

I remember the first time I ever heard this, I was only 14 and used to (believe it or not) the recent version by the Sharonettes and then I heard this and I was speechless, those drums, that guitar, I think up to that point it was the most amazing record I'd ever heard.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I'd agree, not really inspirational but ... Miracles is phenomenal. Allus think the odd 'underplayed' (yet somehow blatantly obvious) Motown thing thrown-in doesn't do any harm at all. Vandellas - heartless, Velvelettes - bird in the hand, Marv Johnson - miss you, Gladys Knight - ain't you glad etc etc. Just great records which stand-up in any company IMHO :thumbup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Maybe inspired at a wedding reception. :lol:

To be honest if you need to ask, then it probably isn't. Being inspirational about your playbox doesn't usually involve asking everyone on here what you should and shouldn't play is my advice. :thumbsup:

Personally I like it when a DJ plays something by a very well known artist that is less well known, for example:

Ann Sexton - I Still Love You

Gladys Knight - All Over But The Shouting

Al Green - Let Me Help You

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

This was first ever record I heard being played at the Dungeon (Nottingham) all those years back Ted.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

think it depends who plays it, was at brighouse ritz a few years back, soul sam dj,ing, he played a 12" version of candy statton, "young hearts run free" (cant stand the record),  loads danced to it because sam played it, giving it credibility and moving "soul" music on. if i played it at our do in wetherby it would be different , " what the f... is he playing this crap for, this int northern"

Not really moving soul music on, i'm sure someone told me it was played at Wigan.

It's ok when someone throws in a more commercial sound every now and then, but it's not revolutionary. Someone played I Want You Back at Rugby a while ago and I enjoyed dancing to it with many others.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

To be honest if you need to ask, then it probably isn't. Being inspirational about your playbox doesn't usually involve asking everyone on here what you should and shouldn't play is my advice. :thumbsup:

Personally I like it when a DJ plays something by a very well known artist that is less well known, for example:

Hi Matt,

I think you've misunderstood the question mate - the way I understood it is.....Is it inspiring to chuck in a really well known record in the mix, when D.Jing?

I think that's right anyway :wink: 

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Hi Matt,

I think you've misunderstood the question mate - the way I understood it is.....Is it inspiring to chuck in a really well known record in the mix, when D.Jing?

I think that's right anyway :wink: 

All the best,

I see. In that case my answer is 'no', but also at the same time not a bad thing.  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Like someone said earlier - It's not revolutionary, but when it is judged right, and works, it's great (and adds a bit of fun I recon).....Coops was laughing as he said to me ....."Only you could have a full dance floor at Boomerang with 'Nowhere To Run"......Point being, it was unexpected (not genius)

Edited by LEN
Social source share

This is just hypothetical discussion, basically earlier I was listening through some Kent LPs and in particular Shoes for the first time. And to my surprise "The Tams - Be Young, Be Foolish, Be Happy" came on. I was surprised in amongst tunes I was familiar with and new to me tunes, such a all time classic was on there. It instantly pepped me up and made me want to move!  

So, the question is... Say, you are DJing at a well respected night/nighter, you are playing set of underplayed gems and rarities. But, in the middle of your set you bang on song like The Tams and pack the floor. Would this be an inspired choice or lazy DJing?

This discussion goes against the tide a little on here, and I'm not suggesting any old "classic" would be classic as inspired DJing. But stuff like the Tams and Curtis Mayfields - Move On Up are brilliant tunes and stand the test of time.

This topic is just meant as a bit of fun. :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAfaR6IuO-4

Yes it would be inspiring!!!!!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A couple of years back I dropped this in my 3am set at Radcliffe and it went down a storm. I occasionally play the flip (Seesaw) but just the one time I purposely played the A side.

Ive done it a couple of times since and its always well received.

Its just a brilliant record by one of the best female vocalists on the planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtBbyglq37E

No harm in experimenting and a real buzz when it comes off :thumbsup:

And if you click the tube it will not fail to chill your spine!!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

In fact.....................Ive been playing Bobby Valentine - Use it before you lose it for about 5 years now (cost me less than a wonner :D )

I occasionally  follow it with this:

https://youtu.be/SzU3DMBW3Ik

Now how fu@king good does that sound!!!!

It always, always, always go`s down an absolute storm at nighters or nights, you have a captive dancefloor full of Latin lovers and you drop the needle on that baby.

Thank me later :thumbsup:

Social source share

That is an outstanding record Ted. I remember when I first ever heard it, I didn't believe it was Motown because by comparison to so many of their hits it sounded raw and like a proper black sound. It's proper Northern too.

Another one that I think could have a similar effect is this baby - Jamo Thomas - I Spy (For The FBI)  :yes:

Cheers

Richard

https://youtu.be/VN7QL0ydGbw

Social source share

That is an outstanding record Ted. I remember when I first ever heard it, I didn't believe it was Motown because by comparison to so many of their hits it sounded raw and like a proper black sound. It's proper Northern too.

Another one that I think could have a similar effect is this baby - Jamo Thomas - I Spy (For The FBI)  :yes:

Cheers

Richard

I grew up listening to this stuff what a privilege, I have the Miracles on a UK red and white with Smokeys signature on it   

Social source share

As good as these records maybe it is hardly inspired or inspirational DJing is it?  They are timeless classics (selling in their millions some of them) and not what I personally wish to hear at an all-nighter.  No wonder I fined myself travelling less and less.

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

I'm at my favorite all nighter and the cashmeres' and little Johnny Hamilton oh how i love you have just been played (nice) then the following record just blew me away as i personally have not heard it played out since 79 it was Danny Owens a fool for you Manhattan that's what i call a inspired choice rare and not hammered

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

As good as these records maybe it is hardly inspired or inspirational DJing is it?  They are timeless classics (selling in their millions some of them) and not what I personally wish to hear at an all-nighter.  No wonder I fined myself travelling less and less.

I agree Chalky. There's also a few thousand more that deserve a play before a commercial classic hits the decks. That's one less space in a spot for something truly inspiring.

Save them for the wedding anniversaries and the office Christmas party.

Social source share

I agree Chalky. There's also a few thousand more that deserve a play before a commercial classic hits the decks. That's one less space in a spot for something truly inspiring.

Save them for the wedding anniversaries and the office Christmas party.

That Miracles record IS truly inspiring.  It inspired me and countless others.  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

if its the Miracles you are referring to Chalky then I have never played it at an all nighter but occasionally at a soul night I don't see the problem
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

if its the Miracles you are referring to Chalky then I have never played it at an all nighter but occasionally at a soul night I don't see the problem

I'm referring to them all Ted.  If it is a classic oldies soul night then no it isn't a problem, although I wouldn't be happy travelling 150 miles to hear you play this to be honest.  I can hear this at a local venue, or records like it which I don't have a problem with.

The Miracles may have been inspiring once upon a time Pete but it isn't inspiring no longer when you have heard it countless times.  I'm not saying it isn't good and the right venue not a problem but the question was at a respected nighter or soul night, by that I take it to mean one that has a reputation nationally with people expected to travel to hear the guests.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm getting a lot more tolerant nowadays, can't be bothered with the all the politics anymore, however, i wouldn't call it inspiring D.J'ng, moreover it is a Soul record, & if the paying punter dances to it then the D.J has done Ok, but wouldn't really expect it played at Rare / Underplayed night.  Just played it & it got my feet tapping, must be something in it. Maybe it's time to bring all the divisions on the soul scene back together......still struggle with 70's though.

Social source share

I'm getting a lot more tolerant nowadays, can't be bothered with the all the politics anymore, however, i wouldn't call it inspiring D.J'ng, moreover it is a Soul record, & if the paying punter dances to it then the D.J has done Ok, but wouldn't really expect it played at Rare / Underplayed night.  Just played it & it got my feet tapping, must be something in it. Maybe it's time to bring all the divisions on the soul scene back together......still struggle with 70's though.

Nothing to do with politics John.  We are talking about a well respected soul night or nighter here, not a local soul night where you would expect cheesy classics and standards.....Aretha, radio 2 fodder as good as it is not a major UK all-nighter spin.

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

joanne garrett  on duo

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

went to ....5  HILLS  once right in the middle they played   midnight train to georgia......inspired  NO.....clueless  YES.......this usually happens when the dj is trying to be inspired,but fails badly.............however heard KILLA time after time play a set which was cheap and inspired......he once opened up with ROY REDMOND   aint,t that terrible........now that is inspired

Social source share

I'd agree, not really inspirational but ... Miracles is phenomenal. Allus think the odd 'underplayed' (yet somehow blatantly obvious) Motown thing thrown-in doesn't do any harm at all. Vandellas - heartless, Velvelettes - bird in the hand, Marv Johnson - miss you, Gladys Knight - ain't you glad etc etc. Just great records which stand-up in any company IMHO :thumbup:

:thumbsup:

Heartless deserves to be thrown in more often...

Ask Grant   :lol:

All the best Mate..

Edited by Citizen P
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

"Watcha been doing",Terry.? Top dancer. :thumbsup:

I KNOW!   I KNOW! just forgot  LOL :D ............you and yours have a great xmas  tezza & jan

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Fantastic record ,bought mine a couple of years ago.Where do i go to hear this one played out would love to dance to it and similar tunes

burnley

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!