One Show BBC

Guest Trevski

The baggy look lasted for 4/6yrs max. As a previous post says, by 78/79,they had all but gone,the mod revival,which brought a lot of new blood to the scene saw to that,and people distancing themselves from the tv documentary. ...

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

The baggy look lasted for 4/6yrs max. As a previous post says, by 78/79,they had all but gone,the mod revival,which brought a lot of new blood to the scene saw to that,and people distancing themselves from the tv documentary. ...

Trev you can't change history mate, it is a fact that in 1978 the majority were in baggies and it wasn't until half way through 79, with the Mod revival, that they were faded out, but I remember in August 78 turning up in a pair of grey Levis straight leg chords, with trainers, and I was looked at like I had been sent down from Mars.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The young kids wearing 70’s clothes seems bizarre to me - After the 70’s lot, the 80’s lot developed into something different, and that ‘change’ kind of carried on right through the 90’s, until early 2000 (when it all went wrong) Maybe these people only have the ‘where it all went wrong’ decade to be their influence (Shame, but makes sense)

It’s just an observation, and they are probably nice people, but if there was a load of young people taking it all forward, I would have loved them to be really sharply dressed, maybe a bit 80’s influenced, but most importantly something of their own, doing it their way - What happened to the Ivy League College Boy look?

No offence intended to these younguns, and I welcome them onto the Scene - I just think they are missing out on the ‘magic’ that they could get from doing it their way. Maybe in time, they will.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

P.s - 'Positive Alison' - I'm watching you........ :wink:  :D 

Why has the term "Young Guns" bcome the term to call the young baggy trousers brigade? :( We are a scooter club for under 25s and the mainstay of the club are normal lads and lasses, who are probably more caving of this time warp mentality than most on here... We hate it :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Why has the term "Young Guns" bcome the term to call the young baggy trousers brigade? :( We are a scooter club for under 25s and the mainstay of the club are normal lads and lasses, who are probably more caving of this time warp mentality than most on here... We hate it :hatsoff2:

Hello mate,

I think you miss-read - There's only one 'g' in my word 'Youngun's', it's just slang for 'Young ones', an affectionate description at that.

As Alison rightly pointed out, no one should get personal. I don't like the term 'Baggy Trouser Brigade' (Or 'Handbaggers') I have an opinion (as you have read) but an observational one, not a p*ss taking one.

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

p.s. Is there anything Matt Baker dislikes? Watch him on any show, "I love it", "I've wanted to do that all my life".

Hi Spot :D 

He does it so well though! Nearly as well as Lorraine Kelly in the mornings......."That's really goooooooood".......

....Not that I watch such stuff - It's just on in the background as I'm reading my 'John Manship Annual'........honest......... :wink: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Hello mate,

I think you miss-read - There's only one 'g' in my word 'Youngun's', it's just slang for 'Young ones', an affectionate description at that.

As Alison rightly pointed out, no one should get personal. I don't like the term 'Baggy Trouser Brigade' (Or 'Handbaggers') I have an opinion (as you have read) but an observational one, not a p*ss taking one.

All the best,

Getting worried about you Len.That's a sensible post.Pull yourself together. :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Oxford Dictionary of English: Movement

often with modifier ] a group of people working together to advance their shared politicalsocialor artistic ideasthe labour movement.

Maybe others think it's a load of bowels, but I'd say that 'Northern Soul' with its "Keep the Faith" musical philosophy could definitely be considered as a movement. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Getting worried about you Len.That's a sensible post.Pull yourself together. :lol:

:lol: 

Good God you're right - Not an once of irony in there anywhere.......Maybe that's ironic in itself :huh:  

.........Must do better.........

:D 

Social source share

Trev you can't change history mate, it is a fact that in 1978 the majority were in baggies and it wasn't until half way through 79, with the Mod revival, that they were faded out, but I remember in August 78 turning up in a pair of grey Levis straight leg chords, with trainers, and I was looked at like I had been sent down from Mars.

You're right that the majority were in bags still in 1978, which is when Spencers probably hit their peak in terms of business. I think the punk thing and also the jazzfunk thing helped bring about the change. I remember wearing straight leg cords and baseball boots as early as late 77 but changed to baggies when I got to the nighter in question. Wasn't brave enough! By late 78 I wore cords all night. People still gave you funny looks though. As you say the Mod thing was the final nail...

Social source share

Oxford Dictionary of English: Movement

often with modifier ] a group of people working together to advance their shared politicalsocialor artistic ideasthe labour movement.

Maybe others think it's a load of bowels, but I'd say that 'Northern Soul' with its "Keep the Faith" musical philosophy could definitely be considered as a movement. 

Fortunately Russ, I can also use the OED

Scene:

e. slang (orig. U.S. Jazz slang and Beatniks' slang). A place where people of common interests meet or where a particular activity is carried on. Hence, more loosely, an activity or pursuit (esp. a fashionable or superior one); a situation, event, or experience; a way of life.

Much more of an accurate description I feel. :yes:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Who decides that these guys are world champion NS dancers? don't look owt special to me. I remember seein' Chris Gray and Jed Rudd from Preston 68, 69,70 

( phenomenal ) and i bet plenty of other people can remember great dancers too. These guys would have been blown away by those lads.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Can I just confirm Elaine Constantine wasnt on the show? Elaine from Newbury was, and maybe there is some confusion? I didnt watch it all, so may be wrong and I missed Elaine C.

Anyway a funny thing happened just now. I was browsing sales and spotted 2 records i'd like but can only afford one.

I texted my brother to see what he thought. Record A or Record B (Don't want to mess up any possible sales)

Mark replied short and succinct.

Record A is a bit One Show.

Record B it is then :lol:

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

As you say the Mod thing was the final nail...

Didn't the Mods have a better outlook though? I am from a generation up, as you are talking about 1979. My first Soul All-Nighter was in 1985, so I wasn't there to witness what you describe.

What was the problem with that particular influx? I would have thought anyone coming into it in that era would have been like me (and many others) 'Wide eyed, and willing to learn'

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

You're right that the majority were in bags still in 1978, which is when Spencers probably hit their peak in terms of business. I think the punk thing and also the jazzfunk thing helped bring about the change. I remember wearing straight leg cords and baseball boots as early as late 77 but changed to baggies when I got to the nighter in question. Wasn't brave enough! By late 78 I wore cords all night. People still gave you funny looks though. As you say the Mod thing was the final nail...

And for most of 79, it was late 79 and into 1980 when they noticeably started disappearing I reckon.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

And for most of 79, it was late 79 and into 1980 when they noticeably started disappearing I reckon.

I should mention that we (Steve and myself),have had a pair of 40th Anniversary bags (one leg each)made for this year.We'll be wearing them at the next Burnley niter.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Fortunately Russ, I can also use the OED

Scene:

e. slang (orig. U.S. Jazz slang and Beatniks' slang). A place where people of common interests meet or where a particular activity is carried on. Hence, more loosely, an activity or pursuit (esp. a fashionable or superior one); a situation, event, or experience; a way of life.

Much more of an accurate description I feel. :yes:

Vernacular not allowed in class!  :wink:

Movement/Scene = same thing in this context. One just has more letters, a sense of formality, and an extra syllable than the other.  :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Didn't the Mods have a better outlook though? I am from a generation up, as you are talking about 1979. My first Soul All-Nighter was in 1985, so I wasn't there to witness what you describe.

What was the problem with that particular influx? I would have thought anyone coming into it in that era would have been like me (and many others) 'Wide eyed, and willing to learn'

All the best,

Len, the nail I was referring to was in the coffin of the baggy trouser look. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just a thought. Has anyone stopped to ask the young soulies why they wear the clothes. Maybe that's how they're distancing themselves from the everyone looks the same high street look. Or again just a thought. If it was good enough and comfortable enough for us to dance in isn't that just maybe what they're doing. Steve

Social source share

Hello mate,

All the best,

Sorry, I missunderstood...  It's not our thing, thats what im trying to say... We want to look forward not back, and try and take the best of both worlds

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Who decides that these guys are world champion NS dancers? don't look owt special to me. I remember seein' Chris Gray and Jed Rudd from Preston 68, 69,70 

( phenomenal ) and i bet plenty of other people can remember great dancers too. These guys would have been blown away by those lads.

World Champions ? :lol: Only at the worlds best all niters :sleep3: .

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Len, the nail I was referring to was in the coffin of the baggy trouser look. 

Oh, I getcha - Easily miss-read on this thread (That rhymes!) :wink:

All the best,

P.s - I keep running out of 'likes' on this thread.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Sorry, I missunderstood...  It's not our thing, thats what im trying to say... We want to look forward not back, and try and take the best of both worlds

Good on ya 'youngun'  :thumbsup:

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

A sense of formality....it wasn't a tea dance you know :lol:

I know this seems trivial, but it always was a 'scene' and never was refered to as a 'movement', so to do so now is just wrong. As was most of the programme last night.

I know that there were a lot of all nighter regulars on the programme, but I just got the feeling that they were being trotted out to do their party trick for the cameras....."here's spinning Sammy....go on Sammy, do a spin for us" And Sammy happily obliges.

(And yes, I do know him, and yes he is still a much better dancer than I could ever have hoped to be).

I guess it's all a matter of how you view your personal dignity. I would never appear on a show like that, because I don't want to, and it doesn't portray my weekend lifestyle as it really is, and made no attempt to. There again, some people think the things that happen on Corrie are real !

Indeed. Gene Chandler spoke of the fellas on the scene treating him and his ex cold and mean. Good for GC, good for us... Movement is more political to my mind. Collective could also be applied... At least in Spain it could. We are a collective...

Social source share

Vernacular not allowed in class! :wink:

Movement/Scene = same thing in this context. One just has more letters, a sense of formality, and an extra syllable than the other. :D

And one could be used when having a shti as Dave pointed out. Guess the other could be used as in causing a scene, if said movement was done in public ... :-)
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Just watched it and VINYLHOUND ( Andy) sums up my feelings generally. Plus points the Yummy Lisa Stansfield. The smiles on the dancers faces. Some good ones as well as Pete S says. Lorraine Chandler at the end.

Minus points well this Six page thread is a bit predictable. Lighten Up for petes sake it was only a TV programme. It aint gonna stop me enjoying myself and it is not gonna change my world greatly. I will keep collecting stuff I like, old, new, 70,s etc. I will DJ when asked and HOPE that the dancers enjoy my tunes.

Just one thing I have taped more Soul stuff off the TV, as I type Marvin and Tammy are backing The Hairy Bikers, lately than I have time to watch. Ian Dewirst and Soul Sam on Soulpower. The 77 WC programme was on at 5am the other day. Motown at the Beeb etc. Just good stuff to look at.

Just a view that's all.   

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Who  the  flying f**k would want enter a dance competition in the first place......and to add insult to injury if you win you're a world dance champion

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Hello mate,

I think you miss-read - There's only one 'g' in my word 'Youngun's', it's just slang for 'Young ones', an affectionate description at that.

All the best,

Except a certain clique of youngsters are labeled "Wigan's Young Guns" and have formed some sort of dance troupe to order. ...and seem to appear on brit awards One Show..in fact everything but QVC..and that will be next, flogging Wigan tat....
Social source share

I don't see how last night's programme benefits the film at all, I can't really see how younger kids watching will think it was cool to be honest, perhaps if it was only the 'young souls' being interviewed or dancing they may have formed an affinity, but with older folk? That's not really happened before, and can't for the life of me see why it would happen now. Old always has and always will be uncool. 

simply by its being is the answer.

more kids will think its cool rather than shite, tho both those group's total would be in a major minority to those who are ambivalent. 

as for the old bit, could see young pin up boys Pogson and Maslin being chased around London by loads of teenage birds in some amusing Benny Hill style soul sketch with a pounding beat. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Trevski

Sorry all but my memory is of them dissappearing 77/78 time.I know that they were still seen at Wigan primarily... but I always ran with a cool crowd.....ditched by Yorkies for a more Jam/Dexys look...when Cleethorpes finished we started going back to Wigan and never wore baggies then...
Social source share

more kids will think its cool rather than shite, tho both those group's total would be in a major minority to those who are ambivalent. 

But will any 'kids' watch the One Show? Would anyone of any age actually think anything could be classed as 'cool' that is featured on that show? It's not exactly known as a barometer of what's hip and happening is it.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Troop;

I knew you would all come through, this thread has had me in stitches, oh and I did see the show with the missus, her immediate reply was "Do you really want to go to Karl's doo on Saturday" I tried to explain it wont be like that but gave up.

We should have guessed the BEEB would fuck it up and now we've got that film coming out, we've been here before, they will all go away eventually.

Gouch

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest BAKUNIN

Is reality getting somehow confused here with fantasy? I think the movie and the real scene has somehow got all tangled up and interlocked simply by association and the subject matter of Elaine's film, it seems to me that many of the younger people now involved with the real scene were involved in the movie as dance extras etc. they were coached and trained were they not in preparation of making the movie some of these kids have so it seems through this in part become involved with the real deal add the older retro element of the scene to this and we end up with what was on the television last night, should it make any difference what someone wears? if their intentions and passion for the music is genuine then it should not be an issue, however it's where the music actually features in this retro vibe? How far down the pecking order of priorities does the music feature or is it head and shoulders the single most important thing that draws people in the first place? For me it was always about the records simply as, yes friendships, fashion, partying etc. all played their part but it was as I say about the records which drew me in because let's face no matter what style of this scene floats your boat musically nothing else even comes close does it?

As far as these type of programmes is concerned I think the actual soul music itself does not figure particularly highly...emphasis seems to be more on the visual rather than the audio...

Social source share

Thing is Mark, it's embarrassing to us, a mature audience I would think, but to some of the young ones today, they would find it cool

The irony for me, is that I left the Mod Scene in the 80's (because I was tired of wearing the uniform) to join the, what I called at the time, "Northern Soul Scene" & was over the moon that I could still hear fabulous black music & not have to wear any "uniform" but hey, times have clearly changed, I still refuse to wear a uniform, but if others want to then that's their choice

Regards

Ali

I agree with Alison in not wanting to wear a uniform.....Each to there own, but that's why I would never shop on the high street, because the clothing is all the same.

Debbie x

• Helpful 1
Social source share

My point was more directed as to how highly the music rates to some people young or otherwise perhaps associated with this 74' retro vibe and not really about the musical viewpoint or content of the show last night, totally agree with you that often these type of programmes  focus on the visual.

Social source share

But will any 'kids' watch the One Show? Would anyone of any age actually think anything could be classed as 'cool' that is featured on that show? It's not exactly known as a barometer of what's hip and happening is it.

nobody is suggesting that kids watch the one show to get info on whats "hip and happening". 

kids still watch tv. they will watch the one show same as they watch corrie or whatever else. as a result some will see the film footage, as a result some will watch the film. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!