Best Motown Album Ever

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Guest WPaulVanDyk

This is what i agree on my 2 fav Motown albums

Diana Ross and the Supremes - Supremes a Go Go (features an all time fav Baby I Need Your Loving)

The Isley Brothers - This Old Heart Of Mine

Social source share

• Replies 52
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Matt Male

Diana Ross and the Supremes - Supremes a Go Go (features an all time fav Baby I Need Your Loving)

Without doubt The Four Tops - The Four Tops - 1964 (contains the best version of Baby i need your loving) :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Big Wheels of Motown.

It is the record that opened the door to Northern Soul for me.

Contains my 3 fave Motown records.

Tears of a clown, I heard it through the grapevine, and my fave

This Old Heart of Mine.

Social source share

Big Wheels of Motown.

It is the record that opened the door to Northern Soul for me.

Contains my 3 fave Motown records.

Tears of a clown, I heard it through the grapevine, and my fave

This Old Heart of Mine.

First Supremes album

Four Tops greatest hits

Martha & the Vandellas Anthology

Simon

Social source share

Too many to choose from, but I've always had a soft spot for the Marvellettes Sophisticated Soul. Wish I'd bought more than one copy when Woolworths were knocking them out for about a quid in 1971. They had tons of Motown albums on sale, including about a zillion copies of Chris Clark, some Edwin Starr Soul Master, and more.

Social source share

Temptations " Temptin' Temptations" without a doubt.

Damn it Tone - you got there just before me!

Perfect, all 12 tracks a delight. I had to buy the remastered CD version about 6/7 years ago as my original vinyl was so scratched and worn I couldn't play it

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Temptations " Temptin' Temptations" without a doubt.

Damn it Tone - you got there just before me!

Perfect, all 12 tracks a delight. I had to buy the remastered CD version about 6/7 years ago as my original vinyl was so scratched and worn I couldn't play it

I wore one or two of these out myself on the old Dansette, I must admit. This and "Four Tops Second Album", another beginning-to-end masterpiece that sounds as vital now as the day it was compiled.

Why can't people still make soul albums where you don't have to skip 8 tracks to find a good one?

TONE :thumbsup:

Social source share

Had a scan through and very surprised that no one has mentioned

Tammi Terrell - Irresistable.

A few Motown LPs I couldn't be without are:

Edwin Star - 25 Miles

David Ruffin - In My Stride

Temptations - Gettin' Ready

Four Tops - Second Album

and almost forgot

Jr Walkers Greatest Hists

Marvin Gaye - MPG

Marvin Gaye - Lets Get It On

Gladys Knight - Feelin' Bluesy

Edited by pikeys dog
Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Tough one...

60s

IN A MELLOW MOOD-The Temptations

70s

SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE-Stevie Wonder (beats out Marvin's WHAT'S GOING ON, which is just as good)

80s

STREET SONGS-Rick James

Social source share

If we can include Various Artists L.P's.... Motown Charbusters Volume 3 gets my vote

Life Changing!

Outside of that "MPG" Marvin Gaye and "Artistry" Brenda Holloway take some beating.

Must agree though that "Tempting Temptations" and "Temptations Sing Smokey" are priceless.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Just had a quick tot up and, rather disturbingly, "Songs In The Key Of Life" seems to be slightly in the lead...

Now, as this wouldn't even figure in my Top 10 Stevie albums, much less be my top Motown album of all time, I'd like to rally the troops to vote for something a little more representative of Motown albums, please.

As the woman Delia Smith once so memorably put it "Caaaaahmmonletsbeavinyewwww"!

TONE :thumbsup:

PS: Stevie best Motown album (i.e. one that actually sounds like a Motown album)? "Uptight", by a clear country mile. "I Want My Baby Back", "Nothing's Too Good For My Baby", "Contract On Love", "Teach Me Tonight (duet with an uncredited but unmissable Levi Stubbs), "Ain't That Asking For Trouble", "Blowing In The Wind" - really doesn't get much better than that! Stevie's best 'Stevie' album? Got to be "Talking Book", really....

Social source share

Motown Chartbusters Vol 3........(the silver one) :thumbsup:

That is exactly what I was going to say, not a bad track on it.

I've been trying to collect the first 100 UK Tamla Motown LPs off and on for some time now, I've got about 60. Haven't got access to them at the moment so I can't remember what I haven't got. Good fun every so often and makes a nice break from chasing 45's.

Social source share

Just had a quick tot up and, rather disturbingly, "Songs In The Key Of Life" seems to be slightly in the lead...

Now, as this wouldn't even figure in my Top 10 Stevie albums, much less be my top Motown album of all time, I'd like to rally the troops to vote for something a little more representative of Motown albums, please.

As the woman Delia Smith once so memorably put it "Caaaaahmmonletsbeavinyewwww"!

TONE biggrin.gif

PS: Stevie best Motown album (i.e. one that actually sounds like a Motown album)? "Uptight", by a clear country mile. "I Want My Baby Back", "Nothing's Too Good For My Baby", "Contract On Love", "Teach Me Tonight (duet with an uncredited but unmissable Levi Stubbs), "Ain't That Asking For Trouble", "Blowing In The Wind" - really doesn't get much better than that! Stevie's best 'Stevie' album? Got to be "Talking Book", really....

Actually sonds like a Motown album? Don't really understand that comment.

"Songs In The Key Of Life" is widely regarded as the pinnacle of Stevies career. All his earlier stuff is raw & exciting but his "Songs In........" is just a genius fulfilling his potential.

Edited by epic
Social source share

Would agree with Marvin as a choice as a good lp but is there a "best" motown lp? many that have two three or four decent tracks but any with a full lp? not talking compilations either wicked.gif
hi,wot about smokey & miracles"make it happen"

isley bros"this old heart of mine", supremes"a go go"

i dont know if anyone would be interested i have approx 80 uk/us

60s early 70s motown soul albums,which is left of a collection i sold

3+ years ago, would trade for 45s

cheers russ

Social source share

That is exactly what I was going to say, not a bad track on it.

I've been trying to collect the first 100 UK Tamla Motown LPs off and on for some time now, I've got about 60. Haven't got access to them at the moment so I can't remember what I haven't got. Good fun every so often and makes a nice break from chasing 45's.

Hi,

May be able to help you. Let me know what you are mising and I'll trawl through mine.

ATB,

Brian b

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Actually sonds like a Motown album? Don't really understand that comment.

"Songs In The Key Of Life" is widely regarded as the pinnacle of Stevies career. All his earlier stuff is raw & exciting but his "Songs In........" is just a genius fulfilling his potential.

...It doesn't sound like a Motown album i.e. it doesn't have anything about it that defines the Motown sound beyond Stevie's presence.When I think Motown I think the Funk Brothers, and solid, in-your-face production out of a cramped studio in Detroit. SITKOL was not recorded at any of Motown's studios in either Detroit or L.A., as far as I'm aware, and it could just as easily have been on Elektra, Mercury, Warner Brothers or a hundred other labels with no defining sound to their catalogue. If we're not picking albums that define the Motown Sound then we might as well be asking what the best Parlophone album of all time is...

...Widely regarded" by whom, BTW? - I personally don't know anyone who thinks its his best 'adult-era' album, and I certainly don't agree that it's the pinnacle of his career, so that narrows the 'width' down for a start. Stevie had already fulfilled his full potential (and then some) with "Talking Book" and "Innervisions". Nothing he's ever done since - or, seemingly, ever will do - can beat those...

TONE :huh:

CANT BELIEVE THE FANTASTIC 4 -THE FANTASTIC 4 HAS NOT BEEN MENTIONED,BALLADS ON THERE TO BLOW YOUR MIND,WOULD HAVE TO GO FOR CHUCK JACKSON ARRIVES AND THE THE FOUR TOPS BY THE FOUR TOPS ALSO.

BAZ A.

No doubt that TFF is a wonderful album, but not one of the tracks is a Motown recording so I don't really think it qualifies as a 'Best Motown Album Ever", Baz.

Mind you I'd have it in there over "Songs In The Key Of Life" anyday :thumbsup:

TONE

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Eh! Not only has it got to be on a Motown label, it has to have been recorded in a Motown studio and have a typical 60s Motown sound. I didn't see those rules at the beginning. Those Motown folks - they may as well have packed up all together when they left Detroit! Apparantly, Marvin Gaye isn't that good either lol!!!

Social source share

...It doesn't sound like a Motown album i.e. it doesn't have anything about it that defines the Motown sound beyond Stevie's presence.When I think Motown I think the Funk Brothers, and solid, in-your-face production out of a cramped studio in Detroit. SITKOL was not recorded at any of Motown's studios in either Detroit or L.A., as far as I'm aware, and it could just as easily have been on Elektra, Mercury, Warner Brothers or a hundred other labels with no defining sound to their catalogue. If we're not picking albums that define the Motown Sound then we might as well be asking what the best Parlophone album of all time is...

...Widely regarded" by whom, BTW? - I personally don't know anyone who thinks its his best 'adult-era' album, and I certainly don't agree that it's the pinnacle of his career, so that narrows the 'width' down for a start. Stevie had already fulfilled his full potential (and then some) with "Talking Book" and "Innervisions". Nothing he's ever done since - or, seemingly, ever will do - can beat those...

TONE :)

No doubt that TFF is a wonderful album, but not one of the tracks is a Motown recording so I don't really think it qualifies as a 'Best Motown Album Ever", Baz.

Mind you I'd have it in there over "Songs In The Key Of Life" anyday :thumbsup:

TRICKY ONE TONE OBVIOUSLY GOT A BRITISH RELEASE ON MOTOWN BUT YES OF COURSE ALL RIC-TIC,HOWEVER ITS GOOD TO CHEAT :huh: ps WHO BOUGHT RIC-TIC AGAIN.

BAZ A.

TONE

Edited by baz atkinson
Social source share

TONE :D

Mind you I'd have it in there over "Songs In The Key Of Life" anyday :D

TONE

Sorry - must have misread the topic

Thought it was called "best Motown album ever" - it obviously says "best Motown album ,that sounds like a Motown album ever."

I tend to look for the little clues myself - Stevie Wonder being a Motown recording artist is one of them.

Social source share

Guest adlibsoul

Temptations Greatest Hits from 1966 - Pure Motown at its height with the most charasmatic stage act of the era.When "Get Ready" was a mod anthem !!!

Social source share

& Willie Hutch - Ode To My Lady :lol:

Oh shit, sorry.......I bloody love you........

Girf

i thought we agreed we're not going public until we'd got christmas out of the way :thumbsup::lol:

stop mixing the babychams with appletize, i've told you before you'll only put weight on then i won't love you anymore :lol:

Social source share

All of the Chuck Jackson albums , but one of my particular album favourites is the Fantastic Four LP ..... a truly excellent recording . :lol:

Malc Burton

Social source share

Bobby Taylor - Tailor made soul

The Originals - Green grow the lilacs/Baby Im for real (depending what issue of the lp you have)

The Supremes and the Four Tops - Dynamite

All corkers imho :thumbsup:

Best

Teee

Social source share

Difficult cos it changes by the minute, but

The Temptations all --up to and including Cloud Nine

Gladys Knight -Hep Me make it through the Night( basically a greatest hits- I know Better- Aint you glad you chose love-Aint No Sun etc)

but The best Motown Album Cover is without Doubt

ROADRUNNER Jnr Walker

(NEW THREAD ALERT)

Tony

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert