Is this really the state of our scene?

Recently noted about a local event:

”Following a recommendation from a friend we attended a local Soul night in Boston having garnered interest in the music. Not only was it empty there was no atmosphere to make us stay. We gave it a second chance last weekend as it was a Sunday afternoon and we were at a loose end. Aloof doesn’t describe those who were there. Unwelcoming does. We were eyed up and down as if we had the plague. This was supposed to be a local event in a local pub for the local crowd. You bet it was. Obviously, if you’re not in, you’re not in. We will stick to Motown discos from now on”

I’m from Boston and I know it can be clicky but come on.... where is the soul community spirit?

....and it’s not the only place. Whatever happened to one nation under a groove. It’d be nice to get back to those ethics.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Only had this experience once, in stockport, but generally I'm not on my own and either me or my mate know someone. But there are plenty of places I could get that vibe, if I didn't know anyone. I eluded to this in the thread, on the people over hyping, intergalactic soul festival year 2030! then it's them and their mates again. 😂

• Up vote 2
Social source share

21 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

😲

By whom - a regular at the 100 Club, a supposed Northern Soul fan, a maybe one-off visitor? Regardless, that’s absolutely shocking to hear!! 

20 minutes ago, Geeselad said:

Hopefully by non soul folk but sad non the less

It was an anniversary do so pretty likely it was a Northern Soul fan. But let's not talk about this any more. It's just when I read what @Soulman posted this annoying incident came back to my mind.

Social source share

5 hours ago, Leicester Boy said:

Have actually done a Saturday night at a Boston soul do with some friends and found it welcoming and a good evening. We travel about and normally find people happy you have made an effort to travel to the do. If your not a regular it's fairly obvious you will get noticed but curiosity doesn't necessarily mean contempt. 

Generally the ones at the Cons Club and Ridlington Centre are fine. The one to which I am referring was in a pub (it'll remain nameless) but the people who visited were very unimpressed with the attitudes etc

Social source share

On 12/07/2022 at 17:41, Geeselad said:

Only had this experience once, in stockport, but generally I'm not on my own and either me or my mate know someone. But there are plenty of places I could get that vibe, if I didn't know anyone. I eluded to this in the thread, on the people over hyping, intergalactic soul festival year 2030! then it's them and their mates again. 😂

Wow, I'm sad to hear that Geeselad.  Going off the few venues in Stockport these days, I assume this was some time ago.  Disappointing to hear nonetheless 😞  

Social source share

On 12/07/2022 at 21:46, Montalbano 45 said:

Can only reflect personally.with the ammount of do’s on these days it would be fairly daft not to welcome folk in and encourage a return,costs nowt to be civil.I go regularly to a ‘little ‘ do in Clitheroe where you would be made most welcome

Well said that man. 

Social source share

Last night myself and wife attended,for the first time Parkway social club , Peterborough, northern soul & Motown , from the moment we walked in you could tell it was a well run friendly club , knowledgeable DJs , knowledgeable crowd , full floor practically all night , buster & eaddie , Billy Davis last 2 tunes great night regards Stephen 

Social source share

Going to lots of places over the years,when there was just your usual nighters or aldayers where you didn't feel awkward or didn't want to stay .now because a lot of clubs or pubs can fill up there empty space it has changed look on this site now to find hundreds of places but to find the ones that fit your soul night heaven is quite rare .we have been once to Boston and it didn't do it for us either,but we have been to some regular established events and felt the same and didn't stay .so now we don't go to as many anymore partly because to expensive ie hotel and expenses for the night .maybe we could list our top 5 places that we couldn't not stop going to ,just a thought 😉 

Social source share

When we returned to the 'scene' around '98 we went to a local soul event with Judi and Alan (RIP) Pollard. One of the promoters said to my wife something along the lines of "who are you, why are you here, what do you know about soul music?"

She looked him straight in the eye and said "sorry, who are you? I don't remember you from the Twisted Wheel". He beat a hasty retreat!!

To be fair, he did later apologise and he and his wife became good friends.

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

hi all , as part of the promotion team at bagley (shrewsbury ) we go out off our way to make sure everyone is welcome and try to speak to everybody on entry and when leaving , i've been to a couple of events that aren't that welcoming in the past so haven't gone back  

• Thanks 1
Social source share

40 minutes ago, Gilly said:

I've been attending soul nights since 1970 and all nighters since 73 and apart from cov 19 I've always gone, and I mean regular. I try to surport local events and travelling far and wide has never been a problem.

More recently I went to a local soul night and the woman on the door said ''its northern soul you know'' I'm thinking well this is a good start I'm at the correct venue at least, I thought about that comment and the only explanation I could come up with is that because I don't (and never have) dressed in a silly hat, baggy trousers and patches all about I may have looked odd one out.

I give this same venue another visit (its proper rammed) same lady ''have you booked?'' booked I'm thinking, I've never booked ever for a soul night, weekenders yes. ''No I havn't'' I replied. ''well you can't come in then'' luckily (I think) someone taking the money knew me and I was allowed in.

As the night progressed I felt a bit uneasy, twice now I'm trying to put money in their till, and to me I have a sense of rejection. Not like me to be off on one but later in the evening I asked the lady if she read books, ''yes i do'' I went to my car brought a book that I had written, and gave it to her adding a few words ''well read this so when/if I return next time you may have a better understanding of me.

I didn't enjoy in taking that stance and this event is coming up again soon, will I go, maybe not.!

'I Searched for Soul and Found the Stars'

i love that Richard👍

Social source share

2 hours ago, Gilly said:

I've been attending soul nights since 1970 and all nighters since 73 and apart from cov 19 I've always gone, and I mean regular. I try to surport local events and travelling far and wide has never been a problem.

More recently I went to a local soul night and the woman on the door said ''its northern soul you know'' I'm thinking well this is a good start I'm at the correct venue at least, I thought about that comment and the only explanation I could come up with is that because I don't (and never have) dressed in a silly hat, baggy trousers and patches all about I may have looked odd one out.

I give this same venue another visit (its proper rammed) same lady ''have you booked?'' booked I'm thinking, I've never booked ever for a soul night, weekenders yes. ''No I havn't'' I replied. ''well you can't come in then'' luckily (I think) someone taking the money knew me and I was allowed in.

As the night progressed I felt a bit uneasy, twice now I'm trying to put money in their till, and to me I have a sense of rejection. Not like me to be off on one but later in the evening I asked the lady if she read books, ''yes i do'' I went to my car brought a book that I had written, and gave it to her adding a few words ''well read this so when/if I return next time you may have a better understanding of me.

I didn't enjoy in taking that stance and this event is coming up again soon, will I go, maybe not.!

Well, if you are offering "freebies" pay a visit to the Kings Head..... said I wouldn't mention it but I'd like the people that prompted the original post to actually enjoy a proper soul night rather than the ones they have frequented recently. Nothing wrong with self promotion Sir Lol

Steve

Social source share

I can't speak for venues "up north", but anyone who is feeling disillusioned should make the effort to come to a) John And Tracey Browne's fantastic Soul Kitchen in Tunbridge Wells and /or b) The annual Uckfield soul night run by Keith and Maxine Woon - which took place Friday before last. The friendliest audiences you can imagine; I simply cannot conceive of anyone being made to feel unwelcome at either venue. Fabulous music, too, of course.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Soulmark said:

Hey gilly fantastic book my daughter bought it for Xmas last year highly reccomended

thanks, the feed back has been great. btw anyone thinking i put my post up to promote the book... no. (I dont mean you Soulmark) 

Social source share

9 hours ago, Gilly said:

Wow. I'm flabbergasted.  I've never experienced anything like that.  And also have never worn fancy dress to a soul night. 

Don't worry you are always welcome to listen to records in my lounge lol. Don't need a book as have one and read it several times to absorb everything. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

9 hours ago, Soulman said:

Well, if you are offering "freebies" pay a visit to the Kings Head..... said I wouldn't mention it but I'd like the people that prompted the original post to actually enjoy a proper soul night rather than the ones they have frequented recently. Nothing wrong with self promotion Sir Lol

Steve

Not intended to be self promotion honestly, just a recent experience i encounted and one that took me back a little. I think half the problem is that instead of just promoting ones own venue, go visit someone elses gig, there's plenty to choose from. BTW where is the Kings Head ? (and don't say in the basket with all the other heads x) 

thanks for your reply 

1 hour ago, Greedy Mick said:

Wow. I'm flabbergasted.  I've never experienced anything like that.  And also have never worn fancy dress to a soul night. 

Don't worry you are always welcome to listen to records in my lounge lol. Don't need a book as have one and read it several times to absorb everything. 

thank you Mick 

Social source share

13 hours ago, Planesoul said:

i live in the East Midlands and go out every weekend to different venues ranging from small places where you might get 25 -40 people to 100 plus venues and cover  my local area of Derby,Nottingham,Coalville,Ashby and i can honestly say i have never come across anything remotely like the negative vibe experienced by some on here.Maybe im really lucky to live in an area of super friendly soulies.Im 71 and been doing the Northern lifestyle for 50 plus years and i think the scene is in great shape nowadays and hopefully will continue to be so

Well i can relate to that with your area being once my area, don't get me wrong down here where i now live ive met some of the best soulies ever (some i already knew of course) as for the people in the street few could compare to the people of Willington (nothing to do with this topic of course) i'm only a young kid at 65 and live in NN10 

Social source share

14 hours ago, Planesoul said:

i live in the East Midlands and go out every weekend to different venues ranging from small places where you might get 25 -40 people to 100 plus venues and cover  my local area of Derby,Nottingham,Coalville,Ashby and i can honestly say i have never come across anything remotely like the negative vibe experienced by some on here.Maybe im really lucky to live in an area of super friendly soulies.Im 71 and been doing the Northern lifestyle for 50 plus years and i think the scene is in great shape nowadays and hopefully will continue to be so

I had 25 years in Yorkshire and not a sign of negative vibes. Since coming back here though the local scene has definitely changed to the point where people from out of the area put on events (as was the case in point I believe). The person who made the original comment which prompted my post has found a love for the music but has not been a part of the scene previously. 

Social source share

18 hours ago, Gilly said:

Not intended to be self promotion honestly, just a recent experience i encounted and one that took me back a little. I think half the problem is that instead of just promoting ones own venue, go visit someone elses gig, there's plenty to choose from. BTW where is the Kings Head ? (and don't say in the basket with all the other heads x) 

thanks for your reply 

thank you Mick 

It's on the outskirts of Boston. They kind of "play around" with soul events but, none the less, it doesn't look good when someone is showing a genuine interest in the scene and wants to find out more.

Steve

Social source share

6 hours ago, Chalky said:

A scene full of divs and johnny come lately's, how can they not know you mate?  Probably done more venues than most!  

Newcomers to a venue were always viewed with suspicion once upon a time, usually cause they were thought to be the squad 🤣

Didn't think you were old enough, first DS in Britain was Northamptonshire, but nice post 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

After so many years doing niters , the wife and I decided enough was enough and decided to do soul nights , no fancy clothing or badges just the anticipation of a good night so nights were picked, entrance fee paid , the little stare , not a wink or handshake, then all eyes apon , a change of shoes, then hit the floor , the transition is amazing people want to shake your hand ask your name enquire where your from , Why ?   You didn't care half hour ago 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Chalky said:

course I'm old enough, we have and have had a pretty OTT one in Chesterfield when it came to Northern Soul niters

They were pretty much all ott , apart from the ones who would rather do the finger up the bum after a strip search 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

course I'm old enough, we have and have had a pretty OTT one in Chesterfield when it came to Northern Soul niters

Off topic a tad...a la TW, possession in the laste 60's in Manchester was merely £10. and dealt with by Stipendiary..

Edited by Kenb
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Monny1916 said:

After so many years doing niters , the wife and I decided enough was enough and decided to do soul nights , no fancy clothing or badges just the anticipation of a good night so nights were picked, entrance fee paid , the little stare , not a wink or handshake, then all eyes apon , a change of shoes, then hit the floor , the transition is amazing people want to shake your hand ask your name enquire where your from , Why ?   You didn't care half hour ago 

IF you dance reasonably well you will find that at most nights you will never be short of hello`s and friends on the night etc. Its always been like that even back in the 70`s.... Dancing just unites folk its a common bond .

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Petesi said:

IF you dance reasonably well you will find that at most nights you will never be short of hello`s and friends on the night etc. Its always been like that even back in the 70`s.... Dancing just unites folk its a common bond .

Talking of dancing and suddenly the mood changes , going back to the aldayers at the 'General Wolf ' in Coventry where I lived and promoted or assisted in most things Northern related ,I remember  with amusement an experience with a lad who I think was on his way home to North Wales from a nighter and had popped in to break up the journey home , I was just sat by myself , dressed normally enjoying the music , in a corner , and then who ever was DJing put on "The Ideals , Mighty Lover " , I rushed to the dance floor and at the time could still move with the groove so to speak ,and the lad came over and said " bloody hell mate I thought you where just an old piss head , sat there but your real old school did you go to Alnighters, where did you learn to dance like that " I just laughed and carried on dancing " And said something like that "

And only once ever got threatened , at Leighton Buzzard of all places , I asked Mark Bicknell to play Freddie Houston ' If I Had Known ' which he had recently purchased from Pete Lawson a couple of weeks earlier at the 100 Club , and this guy said something on the lines why did you effing ask for that you *Anker , it's shit go on *uck off before I smash your Effing teeth down your throat , needless to say I told him go * uck yourself and carried on dancing to a packed out floor and he made an hasty retreat , never saw him again .

Edited by Happy Feet
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

On 17/07/2022 at 22:06, Hooker1951 said:

There are nasty characters in all aspects of life it’s just that if they manifest on the NS scene it’s like someone ruining and stealing your happiness that your either enjoying or looking forward to having, I’ve personally not got any time for them in a venue or in life in generally, just blot them out of your world and your head otherwise they have succeeded in their bad intentions

KR

ML

Absolutely true Mick & has I get older I get less tolerant of this negativity,

life is simply too short

Mick you’ll have to try to get over to the Bolton Nighter (Westhoughton) would be good to have a catch up 👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

As the original poster I feel an update is needed. Thanks for the input so far, some a little off topic,  but it's all made for interesting reading:

My original post was merely to point out that someone I know felt unwelcomed and disappointed at the atmosphere at a local event. It was not my opinion, I was merely the messenger and wondered if this was the state of the scene in general, hence the original headline topic on the post.

Yesterday (Tuesday 19th), it was pointed out to me by a friend that someone has posted regarding this topic on Facebook and suggested that I am "filled with bile and poison" by posting this. I am unable to see the said post however I was sent a screen shot and to say the least, am annoyed beyond belief that a so called "long standing DJ and stalwart of the scene" can display such vitriol when the post wasn't aimed at him or, indeed, anyone in particular. I thought this person was a friend - obviously not. 

He will be hearing from me via other means. It appears that the vitriol extends beyond venues and now seeps into social media posts too.... but of course we knew that.

Steve  

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Soulman said:

Yesterday (Tuesday 19th), it was pointed out to me by a friend that someone has posted regarding this topic on Facebook and suggested that I am "filled with bile and poison" by posting this. I am unable to see the said post however I was sent a screen shot and to say the least, am annoyed beyond belief that a so called "long standing DJ and stalwart of the scene" can display such vitriol when the post wasn't aimed at him or, indeed, anyone in particular. I thought this person was a friend - obviously not. 

That's such a shame to hear. I hope you're able to clarify and resolve matters amicably.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

JEEEEEZ...I knew I shouldn't have popped in. 

Steve...'Soulman'...Boston. Look at this wonderful picture of me and one of my best mates on the scene...and off it. Yet when we met...at a Boston Soul Night in 93.....he wanted to kick my head in. Thought I was a copper....all neatly cut. He had a thing about me. BUT....I was a 'soulie'...loved the music...and wanted to be 'mates' with all....and just...dance. I told him so...lets be friends. Simple as that. There weren't the net about back then either...or texts. So it was done in the real world. I know EVERYBODY in Boston whose been on the scene in the past 30 years. I've DJ'd there and promoted there....I know the factions...and the fanatics. WONDERFUL CROWD....under siege by Eastern Block too!!x I've figured whose doo you went too. Phone him up and say "Sooty sed there's a war going on 22 hour drive away...a drive he's done 14 times in the past 5 months...and he thinks we should sort this kids sh*te out. Because he reckons we could be friends for the next 30 years if we do"...LIVE the music folks...stopped watching soaps when Meg Richardson died and Sandy ended up in a wheelchair. Felt ever so sad for him. Benny cried....I did....never been able to have such drama in my life ever since. I'm outta here...X

LUV
SOOTY
X

Wayne and me....we is luvvers for 30 years........and my favourite dance partner.....boyyyy wee've done some shuffling around each other over the years.....PROPER soulmate....worth fighting for....GO FOR IT STEVE!!!x Dave....sort it out.........i'll pay for his ticket to the Gliderdome...!!!x....looks MEGA...dead jel!x That lad going to Detroit instead of DJing there....has done a wrong un.......I reckon!!!x Gliderdome....Teddy Boys were scrapping in there in the 50's...PROPER NORVERN VENUE...enjoy!x

wayne.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!