Tv - Must Watch Shows

Mike

18 minutes ago, Simon T said:

Wasn't Bren(dan) the Da?

Are you thinking of Clare Dunne: Amanda Kinsella?

She's already spoken for!

Oh dear. 🤭

Yes, you're right Simon. She did have an affair with the brother so perhaps I'm in with half a chance? 😍

But then again perhaps not. Ah well.

🙏

Social source share

1 hour ago, Kathryn Magson said:

Is anyone watching Too Good To Be True on Channel 5? It's a 4-part drama - last episode tonight. Much better than I expected it to be!👍

Yes, but we binged watched it last week. Enjoyed it 👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Total Trust on iplayer, truly frightening documentary on how China uses and continues to increase its use of technology to monitor and control its people. CCTV taken to the extreme. I was left with mixed feelings about the civic pride aspect of the programme, it's one thing to monitor litter, parking etc but when again taken to the extreme it was rather worrying. I know a few people who would only be too happy to take on the power some of the people in the programme had in watching and reporting on their neighbours. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, Twoshoes said:

Total Trust on iplayer, truly frightening documentary on how China uses and continues to increase its use of technology to monitor and control its people. CCTV taken to the extreme. I was left with mixed feelings about the civic pride aspect of the programme, it's one thing to monitor litter, parking etc but when again taken to the extreme it was rather worrying. I know a few people who would only be too happy to take on the power some of the people in the programme had in watching and reporting on their neighbours. 

I'll have to look that one up - sounds interesting! Thank you 👍

Just watched it - I've always known that the Chinese government were extremely controlling, but this is another level! Scary stuff - it's like 1984 on speed! 😮

Edited by Kathryn Magson
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, Kathryn Magson said:

I'll have to look that one up - sounds interesting! Thank you 👍

Just watched it - I've always known that the Chinese government were extremely controlling, but this is another level! Scary stuff - it's like 1984 on speed! 😮

My thoughts at the end where once you've gone down that road that no matter what happens politicaly in the future there would be no going back. That was a frightening statistic, 400 million more cameras in three years. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Starting to watch the West Wing again and it stands the test of time pretty well, given the cast.  I cant help but wonder if Jed Bartlett stood as an independent now, if he would beat the 2 old codgers who are likely to be gong head to head again.

Social source share

2 hours ago, Simon T said:

He did a series called 'Lost Worlds' ,last year, one covered Detroit

https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/entertainment/tv/2022-reviews/1020-made-in-the-80s-ben-fogles-lost-worlds

Not bad, but a bit of a cover version, I remember the original 'Requiem for Detroit' is from 2010 which is worth checking out

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1572190/

I saw his Lost Worlds series - I've got friends who were in Detroit a couple of years ago & they said it was bad, but I didn't realize quite HOW bad until I saw Lost Worlds! Sad to see. 😢

Social source share

On 12/01/2023 at 17:30, Mike said:

A revival of our 'must watch tv ' topic

A place for members to both recommend and talk about current tv shows 

No spoilers please!

anyone caught this yet ?

on my 'must' list when time allows

Social source share

On 25/02/2024 at 12:15, Kathryn Magson said:

. He seems like one of life's nice guys! 🙂

He does, Into the Congo, enjoying it, sad for the Debmeli that logging will soon swallow their part of the forest.He does seem to have empathy with the people he meets. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 25/02/2024 at 12:15, Kathryn Magson said:

Is anyone watching Into The Congo with Ben Fogle? It's on Sunday nights on Channel 5 - I always find his programmes interesting & worth watching. He seems like one of life's nice guys! 🙂

I thought he was wooden when he did Crufts, he had no idea how to interact with the contestants (The owners not the dogs) 😃 I think he only did it the once. On Animal Park & The Chernobyl Doc he's ok.

Edited by Jessie Pinkman
Social source share

Looking for a Friday night show to go with your dinner? I binge watched this little gem last night, and can recommend it highly. A German psychological thriller, dark and moody, with some really good character pieces - including the children. Give it a go................

Dear Child, Original title: Liebes Kind

TV Mini Series 2023 - 4hours and 46 mins. IMDB 7.3

Peter

🤐

Social source share

On 28/02/2024 at 17:37, Jessie Pinkman said:

I thought he was wooden when he did Crufts, he had no idea how to interact with the contestants (The owners not the dogs) 😃 I think he only did it the once. On Animal Park & The Chernobyl Doc he's ok.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

34 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Looking for a Friday night show to go with your dinner? I binge watched this little gem last night, and can recommend it highly. A German psychological thriller, dark and moody, with some really good character pieces - including the children. Give it a go................

Dear Child, Original title: Liebes Kind

TV Mini Series 2023 - 4hours and 46 mins. IMDB 7.3

Peter

🤐

Cheers Peter, I'll give it try tomorrow. Tonight I'll be re-watching ZeroZeroZero

• Up vote 1
Social source share

48 minutes ago, Simon T said:

Cheers Peter, I'll give it try tomorrow. Tonight I'll be re-watching ZeroZeroZero

Zero,Zero,Zero what a series, it was so good I bought it on DVD. Italian Mafia and South American drug cartels what's not to like. Thanks Simon for the reminder.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

56 minutes ago, Simon T said:

1 minute ago, Jessie Pinkman said:

Zero,Zero,Zero what a series, it was so good I bought it on DVD. Italian Mafia and South American drug cartels what's not to like. Thanks Simon for the reminder.

Thanks chaps

I'll have to try and find that later and give it a go.

Peter

😎

Social source share

On 01/03/2024 at 13:47, Jessie Pinkman said:

Zero Zero Zero what a fantastic series. Saw it when it first came out. Now you’ve reminded me about it I’m going to have to watch it again 🤣

Social source share

25 minutes ago, Simon T said:

Things You Should Have Done

Absolutely bizarre!

If you get past Irma Thomas, you'll probably binge watch, I did

(some choice language)

I must be getting old and intolerant ... :yes: ... I've yet to find any offering on BBC3 that I can stomach ... :no:

Social source share

I've just watched Doing Money on bbc iplayer - from 2018 I think, so not a new drama - but I've only just found it. A true story that makes for compulsive viewing - very well-acted but also extremely sad, disturbing & thought-provoking. Well worth watching.

Social source share

On 28/02/2024 at 12:32, Mike said:

anyone caught this yet ?

on my 'must' list when time allows

just caught the first one , enjoyable watch , three of us gave it a thumbs up here

Social source share

1 hour ago, Mike said:

just caught the first one , enjoyable watch , three of us gave it a thumbs up here

Not really my cup of tea Mike; but, I've been scrolling channels all week trying to find something, so I'll have a look tonight.

The German thriller I mentioned a few posts back is a cracker. (imo)

Peter

Social source share

On 09/03/2024 at 18:38, Kev Cane said:

Seven Seconds, on Netflix, gritty and hard hitting, set in Jersey City, cop's looking after their own, albeit, extremely illegally 👊 

Kev

Good  shout Kev. I've seen that and it is very  good.

Peter

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I started Good Morning Veronica first season the other night. 

Great acting and characters, great back drop in Sao Paulo; it looks like a beautiful city.

The story is playing out very well indeed; it's dark. Highly recommended so far. 

Peter  

ps; keep them tips coming. 

🙂

Social source share

I have to say, Halo is chuffing Brilliant just now, series two, it's got something for sure, I could not wait for this week’s episode... and it did not disappoint. Thats if you are a sci fi buff of course...

Social source share

Shogun on Disney is really good.

“Set in Japan in the year 1600, Lord Yoshii Toranaga is fighting for his life as his enemies on the Council of Regents unite against him, when a mysterious European ship is found marooned in a nearby fishing village.“

Edited by Richard
Social source share

2 hours ago, Woodbutcher said:

Just finished the final episode of "Masters of the Air" ... :yes:

Not quite up to the extremely high standards set by "Band of Brothers" and "The Pacific" but a very good watch nevertheless ... :thumbup:

True but v little matches BofB

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

been getting a bit of decent tv watching in last few weeks

Ripley - Netflix - though episode 1 was great, looking forward to the reat

This Town - Episode one done, have no real rush to go back to it yet even though all available on iplayer

Is it just me or do others feel things are a bit off when viewing past events/eras that you are familiar with?

Social source share

3 hours ago, Mike said:

This Town - Episode one done, have no real rush to go back to it yet even though all available on iplayer

Is it just me or do others feel things are a bit off when viewing past events/eras that you are familiar with?

This is one of those that has been promoted ambiguously. I expected it to be about 2-tone music, early 80’s youth culture etc. There is very little music of the time, it’s actually more to do with dysfunctional people / society who happened to be involved with the IRA activities in Coventry at that time. Not a bad story once it gets going, just don’t expect The Specials etc, to make a cameo appearance.

Social source share

34 minutes ago, Simon T said:

This is one of those that has been promoted ambiguously. I expected it to be about 2-tone music, early 80’s youth culture etc. There is very little music of the time, it’s actually more to do with dysfunctional people / society who happened to be involved with the IRA activities in Coventry at that time. Not a bad story once it gets going, just don’t expect The Specials etc, to make a cameo appearance.

I thought it was rubbish, definitely not what it was sold as. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

22 hours ago, Mike said:

I gave up after about 15 mins, as above not what I expected. As for things being a bit off I tend to think the writers of some dramas take a particular political stance and often ignore a more balanced view of events.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

17 minutes ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Gets better and better, absolutely brilliant - last two episodes to watch tonight 

I haven't bothered with this as I saw the film ages ago. Sounds like I should at least give it a go.

Peter

🤓

Social source share

On 07/04/2024 at 14:37, Philb said:

I thought it was rubbish, definitely not what it was sold as. 

Agreed. It's a massive disappointment. I've just one more episode to go but am struggling through it. 

On the other hand, Scoop on Netflix, is pretty good about Price Andrew's car crash interview with Newsnight.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Netflix: 3 Body Problem, in my opinion, brilliant, still trying to fully work it out and will probably have to watch it twice but yeah, well worth a watch, great cast too.

Social source share

There's a few bit's of stuff floating around our screens then but nothing that appears to have been really rated by many of us.

I'm currently watching Bitter Daisies season 1 which I'm enjoying, happy to recommend that. It's a Spanish crime thriller on Netflix. Bitter Daisies (TV Mini Series 2018–2020) - IMDb score 7.1

Peter

Just finished Season 1 - it get's better and better, so now, I'm giving it "Highly Recommended". 

🙂

Edited by Peter99
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

16 hours ago, Divot said:

Netflix: 3 Body Problem, in my opinion, brilliant, still trying to fully work it out and will probably have to watch it twice but yeah, well worth a watch, great cast too.

I liked this series, it became apparent it was made for Teens really, with the way they interspersed the relationships, but overall a really good Sci Fi series. I think the start of the series was better than the end, they managed to set the story out over several episodes, which really keeps you gripped.

Wasn’t sure about how they tied the story up, but that’s inherent in allot of great stories, allot of times Hollywood doesn’t bother with a Noir ending, where actually it suits the story better...

It was great how they shot the mother who was key to the story, in plain sight, she's there, but doesnt get explained until later, you would have to watech it, but a master stroke..

Ripley is good, to be honest it’s become excruciating by episode 3, which is a good sign 😉

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!