Motown Album Tracks Worthy Of A 45 Release In 2024

Go to solution Solved by John Hart,

“We’ll find a way” Blinky and Edwin Starr

”You can depend on me” Brenda Holloway

”Seeing is believing” Marvelettes

Don’t think these got a 45 release.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Unless I've missed this somehow, possibly one of the best Temptations unreleased 45's IMHO-

Hey Girl (I believe from the Cloud Nine LP ....Awesome and unreleased track as far as I'm aware)) and not the Hey Girl I like your style 45-Gordy 7131...

And an Anomoly in so much as it was identified as the Contours, but an unreleased track  called "I can't stop the feeling"??? I'd love to know who the artist(e)(s) are?

• Up vote 2
  • Listening now 1
Social source share

On 03/05/2024 at 16:43, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

OK bending the rules a little bit. I think US was LP only but sneeked out on a German (?) 45.

Close. Philippines 45.

Social source share

On 03/05/2024 at 15:43, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

OK bending the rules a little bit. I think US was LP only but sneeked out on a German (?) 45.

10 hours ago, Benji said:

Close. Philippines 45.

Also on 45 from the third or fourth UK motown box set a few years back.

Social source share

11 hours ago, Wilxy said:

Unless I've missed this somehow, possibly one of the best Temptations unreleased 45's IMHO-

Hey Girl (I believe from the Cloud Nine LP ....Awesome and unreleased track as far as I'm aware)) and not the Hey Girl I like your style 45-Gordy 7131...

And an Anomoly in so much as it was identified as the Contours, but an unreleased track  called "I can't stop the feeling"??? I'd love to know who the artist(e)(s) are?

The wonderful Paul Williams on lead ,great choice

• Up vote 2
Social source share

11 hours ago, Wilxy said:

...Hey Girl (I believe from the Cloud Nine LP ....Awesome and unreleased track as far as I'm aware)) and not the Hey Girl I like your style 45-Gordy 7131...

Freddie Scott's original version is simply Magistral though... Only not Motown. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Martha & The Vandellas - " I Will Follow You " appeared on a 33 rpm 6 track card picture sleeve mini lp or jukebox single if you like....effectively a 45...but not!

A thunderous tune, fantastic orchestration and Reeves belting out the lyrics.

Personally, never seen it come up for sale, have the album though. Assume it got played at Stafford quite a bit but, that being a long time ago now, its probably forgotten by the vast majority.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 minutes ago, Agentsmith said:

Martha & The Vandellas - " I Will Follow You " appeared on a 33 rpm 6 track card picture sleeve mini lp or jukebox single if you like....effectively a 45...but not!

Save a breath ; what it's commonly loved by us is the 7" format ! 😉 45rpm better but 33 can be acceptable sometimes. Aimed for diner's Juke Boxes those 6 tracks mastering are disappointing when played on proper home phono gear IME. But they're cute.

Low in gain and thin on bass (low and mid frequency response are weakened for the highs to take over) begging to press up volume to not so good playback quality. On DJ sound system playback quality is often mediocre enough not to disadvantage those too much through filters.

Social source share

18 hours ago, Benji said:

Close. Philippines 45.

I have it on a Phillipino Motown 45, but along with several other Phillipino releases, the basic sound quality is not the best!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

21 hours ago, Wilxy said:

The only Motown track I can think of with that title is this - 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Wilxy said:

This one by any chance? One of my old Lifeline plays

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

49 minutes ago, Chalky said:

That's really good, never heard it before. What great lead singers The Temptations had.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Eddie Hubbard said:

The Supremes - Don’t Let True Love Die - unissued ,only on a couple of CDs I think .Magnificent backing track with a superb Mike Terry sax break 

Yes Eddie, and well over 3 minutes long!, had that double cd as well....Hip-Oselect really were a champion, for the best part of 15 years, this is a great Supremes collection, first time this track appeared anywhere, a handful of others turned up on the original 25th Anniversary vinyl double album, having them all collectively under one roof is a tribute to this company's thorough research of the Motown archive, something they did to perfection with every group and artist..this track definitely warrants a 45 release.

Edited by Agentsmith
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, Eddie Hubbard said:

The Supremes - Don’t Let True Love Die - unissued ,only on a couple of CDs I think .Magnificent backing track with a superb Mike Terry sax break 

Eddie this did come out on vinyl in a box set.

R-11865178-1523728354-4008.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Carole P said:

Eddie this did come out on vinyl in a box set.

R-11865178-1523728354-4008.jpg

Hmm,I don’t know John ,tell me more mate .Cheers Eddie 

Download only ,great version of a Four Tops LP and non UK 45 ,I think this is superb ,musically and lyrically .

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Eddie Hubbard said:

Hmm,I don’t know John ,tell me more mate .Cheers Eddie 

Download only ,great version of a Four Tops LP and non UK 45 ,I think this is superb ,musically and lyrically .

Nice, on the 'Four Tops - Soul Spin' LP.  So this version is Frank Wilson? 

Edited by Soul-slider
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Agentsmith said:

No...and definitely nit in the Motown 7's box sets either....completely unreleased, as it states on the Hip-Oselect cd comp

Lp box set.  From discogs :-

Diana Ross And The Supremes* – Supreme Rarities (Motown Lost & Found) (1960-1969)

More images

Label:Third Man Records – TMR-506, Universal Music Special Markets – B0027137-01, Motown – B0027137-01

Series:Motown Lost & Found

Format:

4 x Vinyl, LP, Reissue

Box Set

Released:6 Apr 2018

Genre:Funk / Soul

Style:Rhythm & Blues, Soul

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Smudger said:

Lp box set.  From discogs :-

Diana Ross And The Supremes* – Supreme Rarities (Motown Lost & Found) (1960-1969)

More images

Label:Third Man Records – TMR-506, Universal Music Special Markets – B0027137-01, Motown – B0027137-01

Series:Motown Lost & Found

Format:

4 x Vinyl, LP, Reissue

Box Set

Released:6 Apr 2018

Genre:Funk / Soul

Style:Rhythm & Blues, Soul

Well there you have it, i stand corrected..apologies to all concerned and surprised....i was not aware of this release and its actually 6 years old now!

A bit much even if youre a completist, to buy a 4 lp box set just to acquire the track talked about, but of course there are numerous other numbers present that could be played out and perhaps warrant a 7 release....however, this is quite possibly the best candidate👍

Social source share

5 hours ago, Agentsmith said:

Well there you have it, i stand corrected..apologies to all concerned and surprised....i was not aware of this release and its actually 6 years old now!

A bit much even if youre a completist, to buy a 4 lp box set just to acquire the track talked about, but of course there are numerous other numbers present that could be played out and perhaps warrant a 7 release....however, this is quite possibly the best candidate👍

I just purchased the Supremes box set of 4 LPs. Cheapest I could find was £70, and that was only by making an offer. 

Social source share

Posted (edited)
On 05/05/2024 at 19:23, Chalky said:

No not that one....It's on Youtube, and it's 'I can't stop this feeling'

Edited by Wilxy
Additional info.
Social source share

This is really good ,the band track for an Isley Brothers song that never happened ,when the piano and strings come in ,pure heaven 

On 05/05/2024 at 19:23, Chalky said:

Really great Chalky ,remember you playing it 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

"It,s All Over";    The Funk Brothers ,band track ,is the winner for me ! Would buy this in a heartbeat on 7 incher   (with the   Isley,s   Vocal ,if found, on the Flip if not Brenda, "Without Love "). In my  Earlier  post I dismissed the Vol 5 , Cellarfull of motown ,how did I miss this Stone cold Killer Instrumental?

Perhaps because I skipped through tracks on initial play, and missed the magic arrival of heavenly piano and strings. Well done Mr Hubbard you are an Angel! John , Malaga ,Spain.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Can't imagine another box set of tracks on 45 for the first time in the near future but there have been a few out via expansion , Ozone  recently , Passion Soul Essentials , Brenda Holloway, The Temptations, and The Deptford Northern Soul Club , ( I know the Isleys was a previous 45 ) to name a few , so there's hope yet .

Still hoping that one day the Ivy Joe Hunter unreleased album finally gets released and then we might get more of his 45s to follow ,

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!