The Ultimate Crossover Record

We've had many threads on the definitions and semantics of the term. We have the fantastic media thread on the subject which continues to entertain and inform.

I thought I'd start a thread for people to nominate one record which they view as the ultimate embodiment of the genre.

I appreciate that these generic definitions are problematic and maybe unnecessary but hopefully this thread will give those who wonder what all the fuss is about an insight as to why fans of these records are so passionate about them.

It would be great if contributors could limit themselves to ONE record: that which is in their eyes the ultimate example of the term.

I'll start the ball rolling and nominate

RICHARD CAITON "I'D LIKE TO GET NEAR YOU" on UP TIGHT

I'll write a bit about exactly why I think it's the ultimate Crossover record a bit later, but I'm already looking forward to others' choices and am eager to see what, if any, consensus emerges.

There are no wrong answers.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Gareth, surely not another contoversial thread....:laugh:

Mine Chuck Ray - I Don't Mind - Tamboo. For me its the ultimate swayer and can never get bored or it.

Can't keep it to one and cheating by also including Billy Kent - Take It All this Time - Expo - Complete magic.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Hopefully this thread will not be a place for controversy for controversy's sake John. Debate is welcomed. Remember, there are no wrong answers, but you will have to choose between Billy Kent and Chuck Ray, I'm afraid. There can only be one ultimate.

Social source share

Hopefully this thread will not be a place for controversy for controversy's sake John. Debate is welcomed. Remember, there are no wrong answers, but you will have to choose between Billy Kent and Chuck Ray, I'm afraid. There can only be one ultimate.

Would Bobby Taylor - Don't Be Afraid sit in this category ?

Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

The Volumes - I've Never Been So In Love

or

The Differences - Five Minutes

Edited by Ollie Lailey
Social source share

I would have probably plumped for Richard Caiton as well Gareth , but seeing as you've chosen it my choice is Clyde McPhatter " Anyone can tell [ we're in love ] " from the Decca album " Welcome Home " .Fantastic lyrics and production put this at the top of the Crossover tree for me .Great thread mate ....Best,Eddie

Social source share

The Volumes - I've Never Been So In Love

or

The Differences - Five Minutes

It just goes to show that one man's Northern is another man's crossover. I'd have put the Volumes very firmly in the bag labelled 'Northern', the tempo and style say so.....

Since John's allready baggsied Chuck Ray, then I'll go for Robert Tanner - Sweet Memories....

Social source share

Xover...NO WAY! Thats proper superb ghetto soul/funk..:laugh: Think this will be a hard thread Gareth, as we all define it very differently...anyway, lets keep trying..

Right from the intro guitar riff you know that's never a crossover tune..... love it to death but I think your label defines it a whole lot better.... otherwise I'll claim Prince George - DPG..:D

Social source share

Impossible to nail one really, but Chuck Cockerham - Have I the Right - Mala, has gotta be up there.

Also:

Detroit Sounds of Friction

Tierra

Earls on Tee Ti

etc, etc

Russ

Still can't bring down to just one, Chuck Cockerham would have to be up there and on the slower side

Johnny Gilliam - Room full of tears

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Xover...NO WAY! Thats proper superb ghetto soul/funk..:laugh: Think this will be a hard thread Gareth, as we all define it very differently...anyway, lets keep trying..

I dunno Paul, for me the Willie Wright "Right On for The Darkness" on Hotel has got enough soulful intent to just 'crossover'. As you say, traditionally a ghetto funk tune of quality and a cover that more than does justice to the original Curtis Mayfield 'Back To The World' album cut.

ATB

Greg.

Social source share

So very hard to pick one choon from so many crap records, but for me would have to be ;

Ernie johnson " i can't stand the pain" artco.

A close run thing tho' with Bobby wilburn/Burn "dreamer" & Pschedlic frankie"putting you out my life" pushing Ernie close.

Edited by SKEGSOUL
Social source share

I dunno Paul, for me the Willie Wright "Right On for The Darkness" on Hotel has got enough soulful intent to just 'crossover'. As you say, traditionally a ghetto funk tune of quality and a cover that more than does justice to the original Curtis Mayfield 'Back To The World' album cut.

ATB

Greg.

I was always under the impression that Willie Wright's version pre-dated the Back To The World cut by quite a few years. It's only a theory but I wonder if Curtis Mayfield didn't specifically write the song for him. Finally getting to see a copy of the 45 was instructive too, featuring a Boston address and an incorrect telephone number with the area code scratched out and corrected in biro. I wonder if all of the pitifully few copies which survive are like this. Whatever genre it's classed in this is one of the greatest soul records of all to me.

Edited by garethx
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!