Bobby Hebb Rip

• Replies 47
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Just got word that Bobby Hebb died. Pull out that Sunny 45 and give it a spin. RIP, Bobby.

" Thank you for the sunshine that you gave "

RIP Bobby .

Malc

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

God,l'm gutted.......l really am....Sunny was good but Love,Love,Love, will always be a Northern Soul Classic without doubt..

R.I.P. Bobby Hebb

Love Love Love was the track that got me started. Still sing out loud when I'm dancing around to it. The Soul Police were never called because they sang along to it also!!

God Bless You Bobby Hebb!

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Just got word that Bobby Hebb died. Pull out that Sunny 45 and give it a spin. RIP, Bobby.

Gave mine a spin last night, that record never fails to make me happy - R.I.P Bobby.

Ste.

Social source share

bobby hebb - one of soul music's unsung hero's, who had a brief glimpse of the limelight with a multi - million seller worldwide with the anthemic "sunny", revered and covered by so many artists then, and since....but to the world of northern soul it was even more greatly appreciated for the b-side hidden away almost...from everyone else's view...."love,love,love" a speeding express train of a dancer, whose verve and dynamism remains undiminished on the dance floors of the uk...it spans five decades and never lets up.

bobby also gave us another great collectors item in "you want to change me" and this has proved to be a favourite request at venues, taken at a tad slower speed but still effusing great panache and style in his vocals and the lavish arrangement. his was a talented very much understated, yet the northern soul scene will forever hold up his contribution as a shining example of what drives us all.

amongst all the covers of sunny, one that stands out , is an ironic testimony to the fact, even the legends appreciate a good tune....with marvin gaye and until recent years, his previously unheard and unissued version, you have an indicator of someone we all love wanting to give praise to the smaller guy for creating a classic that he obviously felt, was right in his bag....thats a tribute indeed.

its already been said here but bobby, youre in a much bigger venue now...our world may be a colder place without you but up there, they're having a hot time!!....god bless, r.i.p. bobby hebb

Social source share

This is really sad, I was negotiating with one of his German friends to bring him to Cleethorpes in 2009 when he was struck down by a chest infection, he already had bad lungs.

Apart from his Northern hits (I agree Love Love Love was one of the first to get me into the scene) we always wanted to hear him perform Sunny for our Sonny. There is also the excellent Would You Believe, sung by William Hunt and Kenny Lonas that he wrote that I've never heard Bobby's original of.

It's great that Ian Levine and crew caught him for SWONS and we have that visual image of him.

Thanks for everything Bobby

Social source share

This is really sad, I was negotiating with one of his German friends to bring him to Cleethorpes in 2009 when he was struck down by a chest infection, he already had bad lungs.

Apart from his Northern hits (I agree Love Love Love was one of the first to get me into the scene) we always wanted to hear him perform Sunny for our Sonny. There is also the excellent Would You Believe, sung by William Hunt and Kenny Lonas that he wrote that I've never heard Bobby's original of.

It's great that Ian Levine and crew caught him for SWONS and we have that visual image of him.

Thanks for everything Bobby

I second that thumbsup.gif

P:)

Edited by paup-ine
Social source share

I was only reading in the last week about him being a neighbour and friend of an artist I was researching, and him being responsible for encouraging numerous talents to take the brave step to give up their day jobs and become professional singers.

According to this article he was held in great esteem more so as a songwriter for other artists, and very little was written about his singing, although it did mention several groups he was part of. Does anyone know if this was how he made his living as a songwriter ? Wish I'd kept these pages, they were a fascinating read.

Of course Love, Love, Love was his monster but don't dismiss the remaining parts of his output, search out his version of " I Was A Boy When You Needed A Man" if you like a bit of melodic but sparse x-over, "I Love Everything About You", " Some Kinda Magic", but as already mentioned " Love Me" (fabulous) "You Wanna Change Me" along with "L.L.L." all livid in the shadow of "Sunny" for the great mass of - and that's a shame.

thanks bobby, for great tunes and great times.

Social source share

Echoing what Ady has said. Bobby was due to perform at Baltic Soul 2009, but pulled out due to illness-I know Ady wanted him for Cleethorpes that year as well.

sad to say another one I never got to see live, although he had been doing regular performances on the continent , such a shame.

RIP Bobby

you left us with a "Classic" in Sunny

and I doubt if many on here have not danced to "Love, love, love" or "You want to change me" at some point during their time on the scene

Rob & Karen

Social source share

This is so sad, I doubt there's anyone on this Forum who hasn't danced with joyful abandon to "Love Love Love" Goodnight God Bless Bobby Hebb... sleep well. xx

Edited by isis
Social source share

Sunny, you smiled at me and really eased the pain.

The dark days are gone, and the bright days are here,

My Sunny one shines so sincere.

Sunny one so true, I love you.

Great words from a great singer, as someone already said here Love, love, love epitomises the early Northern Soul scene as does You want to change me the later years. By all accounts a great person. I remember some years ago at a NS venue coming across a UK Philips copy of Love, love, love.......................for a £1.00 !! I thought at the time what a piece of wonderful music for a next to nothing cost.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Been on holiday and just picked this thread up.

I actually read about Love Love Love before I heard it, thanks to Dave Godin's column in Blues and Soul. I still have it upstairs somewhere.

He quoted some of the lyrics, definitely the "When I llook into your soft eyes I melt like candy jam, I'll do anything to please you, yes anything I can".

I heard it soon after (72?) and it was then re-released on Phillips due to its popularity at the Torch, with Sunny on the B side. I then managed to own it on black US Phillips, on UK as the flip to a Satisfied Mind, and also had the re-release!

I have just given my original English copy to my son Paul, and he has always been under strict orders not to sell it.

To me, along with James Bounty, Prove Yourself a Lady, Queen of Fools, Whats it Gonna Be, and the rest of the Northern Sounds discovered straight after the closure of the Wheel, (Up the Junction, Catacombs, Penedelum, Torch etc) this was one of our scenes milestones. What would it be worth if it was discovered now and there were only a few copies in existence?

It has always been in my top 2 along with Frankie Beverley ITWYW and I will play it with a heavy heart tonight. However, I will also listen to it and raise my glass to Bobby Hebb. He has given me around 38 years of pleasure to date and hopefully a few more years yet of listening to this example of pure class and Nortthern Soul perfection.

Thank you Bobby from the bottom of my heart.

Brian

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert