Funky Soul

oh man,i think this is fookin brilliant ! funk ? soul ? funky soul ? i dont really care,i love it

jason

syl johnson-i take care of homework-twinight

See! It's not difficult!

PS - All Syl Johnson tunes..... :thumbup:

Social source share

Could do with the Zodiacs either original label BTW. And the Earl English.

Thx

Russ

Your wish is my command Russ this one is going massive mate, Roughnut flip. However theres lots of competition for this one.

Here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZODIACS-MEGA-RARE-INDEMAND-DANCER-ON-ZODIAC-RECORDS-NORTHERN-SOUL-LISTEN-/271016164986?pt=UK_Records&hash=item3f19d27e7a

Best Darren

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Here's another thats i and a few others including Greg ( who played it last sat and boy it sounded good ) have been playing over the last few years l, they dont come much better than this ( valdons )

[media=]

lovely swet soul flip as well been known about by collectors for a good 8 years at least so although very good its not a new discovery or anything.

Social source share

This one always seem to go down well whenever i play it out, Ricky Hodges

[media=]

Aye good tune Tim,always give this a spin when i can.Dave Abbott as well.Former George Mahood spin. Flip is nice mid tempo as well "I feel it"...but the clip on YouTube is not the good version....

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

lovely swet soul flip as well been known about by collectors for a good 8 years at least so although very good its not a new discovery or anything.

maybe not a new discovery but this thread is about wether Funky Soul has a place on the scene or not....

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

so whats the answer then everybody....

is there a place for Funky Soul on the scene, some yes some no. me i think yes in moderation and only if i like it :lol:

Social source share

I wasn't trying to imply that other people weren't, I was just responding to the original query about how young people find stuff. I have total respect for everyone out there aggressively listening to as much music as they can and digging in real life or the internet or wherever just to hear things that they don't know.

I'm a year younger, 32. Wish I had as much knowledge of the 45s! :thumbsup:

Social source share

so whats the answer then everybody....

is there a place for Funky Soul on the scene, some yes some no. me i think yes in moderation and only if i like it :lol:

There's a place for everything as long as it is good and isn't out of place on the dancefloor.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest BAKUNIN

This one's been getting some superb dancefloor reaction.

[media=]

Not my cup of tea..

lyrics s**te..arrangement s**t*...imho of course

Social source share

Not my cup of tea..

lyrics s**te..arrangement s**t*...imho of course

Lyrics could do with a pep-up in a perfect world, but it is a 'dance' record after all, not an angst ridden song about 'love' or his 'baby'. Not sure as to how you would think this (rather complex) arrangement is s**t*. Unless you prefer things simpler, which is cool....less is more, and all that.

Social source share

maybe not a new discovery but this thread is about wether Funky Soul has a place on the scene or not....

well to keep it simeple, yes it does :thumbup: (as long as its good funky soul)

my comment about valdons might have come across a bit to negative i'd sooner hear that than a whole heap of played out oldies.

Social source share

anyway another offering from me..............

Jules Johnson "I'm a love man" Free as a breeze

hard gritty soul with a strong hint of funk.

(along with a couple of his polydor sides also)

im wondering what year the flip was actully made, got a very dated sound for early 70s, sounds more like the sort of stuff from 65, nice choon though

Social source share

im wondering what year the flip was actully made, got a very dated sound for early 70s, sounds more like the sort of stuff from 65, nice choon though

Yes Its a very traditional deep soul sound and for me a brilliant example of classic deep soul. Possibly the pioneers of the retro sound :D

recreating a sound that had only passed some 3 or 4 years earlier......

i'm not sure exactly how i'd dance to the uptempo side possibly pull a face a tap my fist and stamp one foot. But i'd enjoy doing it.

Social source share

Guest marco

Here's another thats i and a few others including Greg ( who played it last sat and boy it sounded good ) have been playing over the last few years l, they dont come much better than this ( valdons )

[media=]

Sold mine in the end - couldn't get past those overdone horns...

Thorley had the Sonny Harris for sale for ages but it always sounded a bit too club soul/dance crazey to me - different strokes an' all that Greg... Like the Little Henry tho!

Edited by marco
Social source share

Guest john s

Just one question -

Whatever happened to the Funk scene?

George is still pretty active (digging very deep), Keb has gone 'billy and emigrated, not sure what the other 6 are up to...

Social source share

imho, Funky soul as a concept obviously means several differet things to different people, and its interpritation is probably as varied as the tastes of those have an opinion on it. What concerns me however is that the biggest records to come from the genre will probably be, as with other sub genres of the NS scene, the rarest ones. Saag Warfare is a good tune to me, as is Grey imprint, but I really doubt the're the best, and dont hold a candle to many cheap and common records with a similar feel, but they are undoubably two of the biggest thus far. The problems not a new style of Northern, its a quality contol thats overided by exclusivity and really, ego.

Someone told me about one certain 'top NS dj' being desparate to get a copy of the Saag Warfare tune from another 'top NS DJ', why? cause its the best Funky soul tune out there? Bullshite! Cause its realy hard and the other DJ would no longer be able to spin it in his sets, more like. Same senario as crossover 10 of 15 years ago, same old really. What the scene is desparate for in my opinion, and I said it many times before, is some great, relatively cheap tunes of any ilk, that go big nationaly and get played at commercial nights throughout the land, to generate excitement and a sense of progression, whilst scuppering the booters in the process. :yes:

Or were knackered really. :(

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

I wonder how many folks who don't like funky Northern have burnt some shoe leather to Gene Chandler floorpacker :g:

Always hated it myself and thought it a mess. Not keen on Six Pack either but James Brown on the hand I think is bloody great.

[media=]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri9U8AnKKQI

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

imho, Funky soul as a concept obviously means several differet things to different people, and its interpritation is probably as varied as the tastes of those have an opinion on it. What concerns me however is that the biggest records to come from the genre will probably be, as with other sub genres of the NS scene, the rarest ones. Saag Warfare is a good tune to me, as is Grey imprint, but I really doubt the're the best, and dont hold a candle to many cheap and common records with a similar feel, but they are undoubably two of the biggest thus far. The problems not a new style of Northern, its a quality contol thats overided by exclusivity and really, ego.

Someone told me about one certain 'top NS dj' being desparate to get a copy of the Saag Warfare tune from another 'top NS DJ', why? cause its the best Funky soul tune out there? Bullshite! Cause its realy hard and the other DJ would no longer be able to spin it in his sets, more like. Same senario as crossover 10 of 15 years ago, same old really. What the scene is desparate for in my opinion, and I said it many times before, is some great, relatively cheap tunes of any ilk, that go big nationaly and get played at commercial nights throughout the land, to generate excitement and a sense of progression, whilst scuppering the booters in the process. :yes:

Or were knackered really. :(

there are mounttains of lesser played and great to dance to records for example....

howard peters "tighten up the slack" coral (variation on a theme and fantastic)

billy jackson "mr TCB" brunswick

as you've already pointed out these type of records will never go huge as they are around so you don't get you some kind of exclusive or rare spin. What you might get is a very short window where you play it before most others.

james knight and butlers on concho and cat seem to be getting attention now and manship auctioned one with the soul sam spin blurb and I saw the cat 45 listed for 175GBP. Well they were both 40 - 50 quid record that was hard to find a few years ago....... its that hype I don't like about the scene.

i'm sure everybody has there examples like the ones i've offered above.

I had a brilliant find on ebay yesterday but I need to wait for it to turn up before starting any kind of discussion on it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The original funk scene in the late 80's/early 90's died due to a lack of trousers.....the popular clubs in london, manchester, bristol [sort of], swansea, plymouth were seperate entities. The DJ's knew each other but the customers remained purely local: there was never a 'scene' as such. No trousers. Having said that I still had a weekly saturday in manchester for several years after that period so it took a while to fizzle out.

Edited by dean jj
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!