Joe Dutton Aka Pikeys Dog Rip

Sold Joe a fair few tunes over the years.

Good old Boy.

R.I.P.

anybody any idea how he died?

Not sure yet, but he was apparently admitted into hospital a week earlier in the States with lung complications, but then had the rest of his holiday in the US before arriving home the weekend that he sadly passed.....

Social source share

More info on Joe Dutton's funeral...

We are expecting a very high turnout of people to pay their respects to Joe on Thursday.

Considering this, we have made the decision to not provide a buffet at the wake. I would suggest that you make your own arrangements. There are some options within walking distance of the wake but my advice would be to pick up a bite to eat on the journey from the service.

I would be grateful if folks could share this post to ensure the information is out there. Please can someone add this to the Soul Source forum too.

Thanks
Shane

Social source share

Not sure if this has already been posted on Soul Source, but Shane also posted this on FB

recently regards the funeral...

"Had another good chat with Becky  earlier.

She was keen for me to advise everyone that she would be really pleased to see a few Hawaiian shirts at Joe's funeral. We all know Joe was known to have a few himself!

She also added that people do not have to worry about what they wear. Come as you are basically. It's totally up to you.

Thanks
Shane."

Edited by Mace
Social source share

The R&b lads.... Hoss, Roger, Mace, Ted&Linda C were really givin it some this eve for Joe, it was rockin for him,

plenty of Ale & banter.... Joe would have been chuckling looking down.

Oh, and a vast array of Hawaiian shirts :thumbup:

Edited by Labeat
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

I also never knew Joe personally but often saw his postings on here , the thing is on SS most of us have never met but when you've been on SS for a while it seems to become a bit of a family.

Condolences to Family and Friends .

R.I.P. Joe 

Didnt know him personly myself thoughts are with those of his close and loved who were at his funeral .Your posting says what I think Swifty.R.i.p Joe.

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

​it was day of sadness , tinged with huge amounts of love , fondness, friendship for Joe and Becky  wonderful funny happy memories  talked off , at the service and after . There were tears , only broken by the worlds greatest rendition of "tip toe through the tulips" , class, a tune yet to be played out . the send off at the Shakespeare , could not have been any better and 

just how he would have wanted ,  The dj,s, the people , friends , family we did not disappoint .

see you on the flipside Joe .

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest dont wop

​it was day of sadness , tinged with huge amounts of love , fondness, friendship for Joe and Becky  wonderful funny happy memories  talked off , at the service and after . There were tears , only broken by the worlds greatest rendition of "tip toe through the tulips" , class, a tune yet to be played out . the send off at the Shakespeare , could not have been any better and 

just how he would have wanted ,  The dj,s, the people , friends , family we did not disappoint .

see you on the flipside Joe .

Totally agree Steve, the whole day was a perfect tribute to a great friend.

Social source share

from fridays email  - apologies for the delay ( it was sent to a  soul source related email address)

Hello everyone, this is Becky, Joe’s wife. I just wanted to take some time to respond to all your lovely messages. Thank you to Mike for posting this for me as my own Soul Source ID is long gone.

It is now almost 5 days since I lost Joe and through this time I have been total overwhelmed by the heartfelt condolences I have received via Soul Source and Facebook. Thank you everyone for the personal texts, phone calls and cards of support you have sent. I cannot express how much this means to me at this time.

Over the years you have all become part of Joe’s and my extended family. From the time Joe and I went on our first date, in 1989 at Take Two in Sheffield, we have always been made to feel an enormous part of the scene. If it hadn't been for the fact that you had welcomed two wide eyed (and frankly a bit terrified) 16 year olds with such open arms I don’t think we would have had the opportunity to make so many wonderful friends over the years and share so many amazing experiences with you all.

Joe was given so many chances, even when a youngster, to start sharing his love of the music, this spurred him on to start collecting in a concerted way. From Ray and Tony giving him his first chance to DJ at Canklow in the 1990s he developed a love of being behind the decks. These chances that he was given to DJ in the early years at the Travellers, the Florence and other small dos helped him develop a DJ style that was geared around making sure that everyone was having fun and remembering the price of the record is not the most important thing about it. I think his most memorable DJ set was at Prestatyn in the R&B room with Roger Banks and Hoss where he uttered the immortal words, “I know everyone has their own favourite Canadian transvestite but here’s mine…Jackie Shane!” So many people have remarked to me that this was their first experience of R&B first hand - coming into the R&B tent while wandering through between the oldies and the modern room, and these nights were what made them realise that his (and Roger and Hoss’s) main aim was just to make everyone feel that they were at the best party ever; that if nothing else we all knew how to have a lot of fun. This was the standard he always tried to aim for at his other events and I’m sure many of you will have fond memories of Sheridans and Middleton (or if it was a particularly good night then probably no memory at all!).

So many people have spoken about Joe’s musical knowledge and this was absorbed from every person he met on the scene. Joe was so willing to share his knowledge as he remembered what it was like to be young and new to a scene he had only scratched the surface of; thirsty to learn about these wonderful sounds and develop a taste of his own. I used to laugh about the fact Joe would stand huddled in small groups with some of you (and you know I mean you, Bri and Dave P) discussing matrix and label numbers as easily as discussing titles and artists. To me it was like listening to the Clangers as I didn't understand a bloody word you were talking about. Joe’s encyclopaedic knowledge meant that he could take any persons little book of wants and scan through it quickly just frankly stating for each record; “rare, a grand, never get one, crap, got one in my sales box for a tenner…”. For this talent he earned the nickname ‘The Dream Crusher’.

Joe was a larger than life character and found so many people who shared our attitude on life on the scene. This aspect of our friendship with you all was what made our relationships with you so special. We had the freedom to go out for the weekend and basically act like children if we wanted to and not be judged for it - in fact having a good time, all the time, was positively encouraged and how could anyone not want to have a life and friends like that?

Joe had stepped back from DJing over the last few years for reasons that some of you will be aware of, but he still loved him monthly stints at the King Bee and the occasional invitation to DJ elsewhere. I don’t think he could have ever given it up entirely as he truly loved having an audience for his shenanigans!

I do want everyone to remember that it is not only me that is grieving for Joe. I was lucky enough to have had him for the last 26 years but his family and close friends are truly devastated about his departure at the age of only 43. His uncle Gary (muckyherbert) and his dad Kevin, who I know some of you remember from the days of Wigan and Samanthas, are also feeling his loss very deeply. He was a truly wonderful man, not only the love of my life but also a much loved son, brother and nephew. Shane H and Paul H have also been a wonderful support to me despite the fact that they too are still struggling to come to terms with his passing. Together we will get through it but I am eternally grateful for everyone’s messages of support.

If he was here now he would only have three pieces of advice for us all: drink more beer, have more fun and love one another…oh, and he’d probably say eat more pork pie.

Bex

I remember a few years ago when I was working as a support worker looking after young autistic adults. We bumped in to Joe & Becky in a butchers shop in Hillsborough Sheffield, Joe sussed the situation straight away & made a fuss of the lad I was supporting which made his day. Sums Joe up to a tee, top bloke who had time for everyone.

Best Mark.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!