Manship’s copy of Cecil Washington on Prophonics

10 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Jumped up from c£3K to £3.5K then £4.5K during Saturday evening. This would have been an eye-popping finishing value, yet there’s still three and a half days to go.

Might have to revise my guess of 8500.

Dave.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Ted Massey said:

Can I ask an honest question about this why is it going up so much surely it is not one the major rare Detroit items I think the buyer is likely to regret his purchase 😏

I totaly agree with you Ted,this is not and never has been a particularly rare record.Like yourself,i think the buyer will regret the amount they pay for it. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Ted Massey said:

Can I ask an honest question about this why is it going up so much surely it is not one the major rare Detroit items I think the buyer is likely to regret his purchase 😏

Hi Ted. Hope you’re well. Good to hear from you.

I think the buyer will be very pleased with their purchase. If you’re a millionaire, the price really doesn’t matter. If it’s your favourite record, you’ve really got to have it, even if you can’t afford it. Sometimes you have to overpay for a particular record just because it’ll be even more expensive next time it pops up for sale on the open market.

I never regret buying a record. I do regret NOT buying certain records. There will be several collectors who’ll regret not winning this particular copy.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Ted Massey said:

Personally I think these people paying stupid money either weren't around when these things were in relative quantity or they simply have enough spare cash to pay the Final price and don't care what that is .

Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

And this is why the collecting scene is fcuked for the vast majority of ordinary collectors.  Records like this being stupidly over hyped.  Yes it is desirable but there have been many others much more desirable but you haven't over hyped those like this one. It is rare but not that rare.  It is a record that should be within reach of many but prices that it is heading towards has taken it out of reach of the many, just like many other records that aren't really rare.  There is overpaying but not to this extent.

People are being had for mugs, treated like they are incompetent fools who know sod all by far too many.

I don't blame John, far from it, its those believing the hype with far too much money and very little sense I blame, cheque book Djs with no imagination.

Why such interest?  Is it your disc?  

No, it’s not my disc. Valid enquiry though. I have only ever bought one record in a Manship auction, and have never got him to auction anything on commission.

I don’t think I have overhyped the record, only described it as I see it, a jolly good sound that’s pretty hard to pick up these days.

Sure, I have contributed to the discussion surrounding this record, as have plenty of others. I hope I haven’t overhyped records in the past, but I guess there’s always a first time for everything.

The record collecting scene has changed out of all recognition, but I don’t think you can blame John Manship’s auctions for this. Perhaps his sales blurb may encourage bidders to pile in harder, but he’s only trying his best for the clients.

Anyway, why do you sound so cross? Were you planning on buying the record?

Social source share

13 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

No, it’s not my disc. Valid enquiry though. I have only ever bought one record in a Manship auction, and have never got him to auction anything on commission.

I don’t think I have overhyped the record, only described it as I see it, a jolly good sound that’s pretty hard to pick up these days.

Sure, I have contributed to the discussion surrounding this record, as have plenty of others. I hope I haven’t overhyped records in the past, but I guess there’s always a first time for everything.

The record collecting scene has changed out of all recognition, but I don’t think you can blame John Manship’s auctions for this. Perhaps his sales blurb may encourage bidders to pile in harder, but he’s only trying his best for the clients.

Anyway, why do you sound so cross? Were you planning on buying the record?

Contributed? You started the discussion and have reported the bidding process as it gas happened practically. There would have been nothing said otherwise until the auction ended and rarely have there been topics about current auction items. Thats why I wondered if the disc was anything to do with you and the hype been given. 

Cross? Far from it, I was quite relaxed with a bottle of red, well half a bottle left over from Saturday 😋

Buying this 😂 I have never spent silly money on records and my days of spend several hundreds let alone several thousands are long gone. 

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

43 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Contributed? You started the discussion and have reported the bidding process as it gas happened practically. There would have been nothing said otherwise until the auction ended and rarely have there been topics about current auction items. Thats why I wondered if the disc was anything to do with you and the hype been given. 

Cross? Far from it, I was quite relaxed with a bottle of red, well half a bottle left over from Saturday 😋

Buying this 😂 I have never spent silly money on records and my days of spend several hundreds let alone several thousands are long gone. 

If you look back on Soul Source, you’ll see I continued a conversation. If I’d not started the thread, someone else would have. The record was already a topic of conversation in a previous Manship auction thread.

Plenty of auction records have been focused on in the past such as Hamilton Movement. Any record likely to fetch four figures at auction is worthy of discussion in my books.

Go easy on the red wine...look what it did for Sir Alex...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

33 minutes ago, Neil Austin said:

Russ , price is also pitched up 😆😂 

Hahaha - whatever the price, it's what the market is prepared to pay. And when a shredded Banksy goes for £18 million, you know the collecting market is in a frenzy. Good luck to JM (if it is his) or the owner selling it on commission.

These are fantastic days for sellers.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

49 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Just asking...

Is it me or is JM's sound clip of Cecil pitched up to some degree?

Good spot Russ!

I just played the Youtube clip John posted 2 weeks ago at the same time as the auction sound file. The auction site does get ahead of the other one. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Record Collector ,Oct 2021,; has a "Rarest 200 Records in the Whole Wide World " item, and at number 136 is  Cecil,, described as " Kitchen Sink " {made of randem disparate items ] valued at £2,000 !! .This is by Ian Shirley and Johnny Trunk,the same RC mag that led me on fruitless expeditions in the uk, believing uk NS rarities could be had for a fraction of their real value ?

After 40 years RC has finally got up to Speed on NS Values ;

no 73 , Eddie Parker  =£3,000

no 34. The Tomangoes= £5,000 {  not the imposter on here?}

no15, Arthur and his Soulful Dynamics= £10,000.

No1 , Not Telling?

16% of records are N.S. choices.

Ps do not buy the said mag rest of content is Kitchen Sink ,instead,, top shelf cheeky  read in Newsagents ,page 88!!  

Social source share

1 hour ago, John Hart said:

Record Collector ,Oct 2021,; has a "Rarest 200 Records in the Whole Wide World " item, and at number 136 is  Cecil,, described as " Kitchen Sink " {made of randem disparate items ] valued at £2,000 !! .This is by Ian Shirley and Johnny Trunk,the same RC mag that led me on fruitless expeditions in the uk, believing uk NS rarities could be had for a fraction of their real value ?

No1 , Not Telling?

Ps do not buy the said mag rest of content is Kitchen Sink ,instead,, top shelf cheeky  read in Newsagents ,page 88!!  

Ouch....

I will have you know i have a re issue washpan copy signed by Mr Washington and have met the gentleman performing at Burts in Detroit...the cheek of it:)

If FW is No 1...I can repeat the above claims about him as well RIP at the Wiltshire Grand LA....along with the obligatory re issue Soul signed copy:)

Ed

Social source share

2 hours ago, John Hart said:

No1 , Not Telling?

Even if the RC is nearer the mark value wise I would suggest it is way out on the rarity.  Just 33 records rarer than the Tomangoes 😂 I doubt the Tomangoes nor Cecil would even make the top  200 rarest? Does the article say how the compilers arrived at this chart? 

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Seems strange to me that a multi millionaire would buy something to potentially lose money in the future.

Steve Jeffries told me (many years ago) he had lots of them who pay silly money. "Why would they look at auction sites and bid when they are loaded" (as he smiled in a knowing way)(I am sure John feels the same), which implies to me that these dealers would just phone their millionaire contacts first and sell them

I wish these people would admit who they are rather than hide, so we can question the motives

Are they DJ's, wannabe DJ's, profiteers or just shelf slotters ?

Maybe they don't even like Soul

Like you say Steve they probably don't care (which makes me question why I bother to comment 😀)

I'd say these people do  like soul music and do want records without giving a hoot how much they cost. I have worked with people who owned Ferrarris, expensive boats, ran successful businesses etc. Trust me they didn't give a fig about depreciation in value on hobbies, it is all about having something they deem to be special to them. It is in their psyche, if they want something, they'll make sure they get it. The rise of the superrich in industries that barely existed when we were young has also been phenomenal and helped create a group of people who live very different lives to the rest of us. To try and analyse motives etc. is I am afraid futile. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

38 minutes ago, Steve G said:

I'd say these people do  like soul music and do want records without giving a hoot how much they cost. I have worked with people who owned Ferrarris, expensive boats, ran successful businesses etc. Trust me they didn't give a fig about depreciation in value on hobbies, it is all about having something they deem to be special to them. It is in their psyche, if they want something, they'll make sure they get it. The rise of the superrich in industries that barely existed when we were young has also been phenomenal and helped create a group of people who live very different lives to the rest of us. To try and analyse motives etc. is I am afraid futile. 

Well if you are correct then I won't swear, but they obviously were not very well educated in business. We will meet them on their way down perhaps and buy there stuff cheap

Funny though

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

Karl ,regarding your F.A.Q, as to RC,s source info Ian Shirley alludes to : Omega auctions ,E Bay ,Discogs ,Thousands of recordshops and dealers websites plus face to face sales ,Wow ! such dilligence.

Finally nobody asked what Numero Uno in Rc,s Top 200  Rarest records  ,well of course it was those loveable scouse Moptops , their 10 " acetate, cut at Kensington studios ,for 17shillings and 6 pence "That,ll Be THe Day ", is worth £250 ,000 !

P.S , Lee jeffries Frank Wilson at Number 4 worth  still a mere £100,000,not yet the " Solid Gold Investment" the writer claims?

Social source share

41 minutes ago, John Hart said:

Karl ,regarding your F.A.Q, as to RC,s source info Ian Shirley alludes to : Omega auctions ,E Bay ,Discogs ,Thousands of recordshops and dealers websites plus face to face sales ,Wow ! such dilligence.

Finally nobody asked what Numero Uno in Rc,s Top 200  Rarest records  ,well of course it was those loveable scouse Moptops , their 10 " acetate, cut at Kensington studios ,for 17shillings and 6 pence "That,ll Be THe Day ", is worth £250 ,000 !

P.S , Lee jeffries Frank Wilson at Number 4 worth  still a mere £100,000,not yet the " Solid Gold Investment" the writer claims?

Thanks John.  I’ll pick the magazine up and have a proper read. If they had done their research though many of those wouldn’t be in there on rarity alone.  We could probably come up with plenty far rarer just for the northern stuff. 

57 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Well if you are correct then I won't swear, but they obviously were not very well educated in business. We will meet them on their way down perhaps and buy there stuff cheap

Funny though

Plenty with money who couldn’t care about the price, especially in Japan. 

Social source share

9 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Thanks John.  I’ll pick the magazine up and have a proper read. If they had done their research though many of those wouldn’t be in there on rarity alone.  We could probably come up with plenty far rarer just for the northern stuff. 

Plenty with money who couldn’t care about the price, especially in Japan. 

If it goes for much more it will be more blooming more expensive than the house it was recorded in (record is in better condition though)

https://www.estately.com/listings/info/666-beach-street--1

House.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!