What's Your Favourite Cover Version

Go to solution Solved by Solidsoul,

13 minutes ago, Soul Salad said:

Mines goanna be really unpopular for some but for "me" a better version 🥹

Mayberry Movement - I can see him making love to you (presuming recording date was after 1974?)

PS and a fantastic more soulful cover of All along the watchtower by H B Barnum but can't seem to find it anywhere.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Happy Feet said:

There's been some very popular topics over the last few weeks , and because it's the season to be merry , have searched and no doubt someone will find it's been done before , but I can't .

So what's your favourite cover version of a Classic , Northern, modern , etc , that's at the top of your soulful list , 

This is mine , what's yours ?

Always finish my sets with this track! Beautiful 

Social source share

On the REAL and beloved side still sitting in the TOP rank of my favorite group and period there's 'look over your shoulder' by the O'Jays. Covering the mesmerizing Implements tune on Philips. Both George Kerr magic mind you.

On the more IMPROBABLE or hated original side I'll have to go down the Jamaican route showing how a dreadful and hated artist's original version of the Beatles / Lennon can turn into bliss with Marcia Griffith's 'don't let me down'.

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

There are so many, but one I have played often recently is the Premium (Fortenberry III) version of Keith Barrow’s “You Know You Want To Be Loved”.  The song was written by Michael Stokes and Ronn Matlock; I wonder if there is a Ronn Matlock version somewhere?

Alas, both Barrow and Premium died relatively young and in sad circumstances.

Incidentally, Premium also recorded an album, Keep It Comin’, with the recently departed Jean Knight.

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Outstanding!! I want a copy of that one...  I found the LP, checkin it out just now...

Some nice alternatives above, here’s a few I like.

Derrick Cross - Never Too Much (fab Lovers Rock version)
Georgie Fame & The Blue Flames - Green Onions

Brian Auger & Julie Tippetts (Driscoll)- Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood (The old Animals hit, from their Encore LP)

Grant Green Feat Dianne Reeves - Down here on the Ground / originally done by Wes Montgomery, like an inst jazz track

Social source share

27 minutes ago, Martyn Pitt said:

Lorraine's version is actually the cover of 'I can't change' as her version was only issued in October 1967 on RCA and Yvonne's in October 1965 a first time on Junior 1010 and re-released on Junior 1071 in 1967...

As this copy shown in this YT video. Was it re-release to compete on Lorraine's new release ? Anyway it was co-composed by Lorraine's 'partner in crime Jack Ashford' who had the right for her to re-record it.

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

Lorraine's version is actually the cover of 'I can't change' as her version was only issued in October 1967 on RCA and Yvonne's in October 1965 a first time on Junior 1010 and re-released on Junior 1071 in 1967...

As this copy shown in this YT video. Was it re-release to compete on Lorraine's new release ? Anyway it was co-composed by Lorraine's 'partner in crime Jack Ashford' who had the right for her to re-record it.

As it was co written by Ashford I always assumed it was the original by Lorraine ... thanks for the info

Social source share

It’s a difficult one as I invariably prefer the original - Open the door to your heart, make me yours, I can’t wait until I see my baby’s face etc. however this cover exceeds the original,IMO and when that was Jr Walker followed by Marvin Gaye that’s saying something. What Does it Take by Buddy Miles. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Smudger said:

That’s an interesting version, love Omar, he really pushes the envelope with the projects he gets involved with and songs he sings… 

on Golden brown, there was a mash up that came out a few years back. WS golden brown mashed with Take Five, which was really really good one 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

51 minutes ago, Mal C said:

That’s an interesting version, love Omar, he really pushes the envelope with the projects he gets involved with and songs he sings… 

on Golden brown, there was a mash up that came out a few years back. WS golden brown mashed with Take Five, which was really really good one 

Lovely! - Thing is, it's a great song - not sure you could make a bad cover.

Social source share

There are quite a number of 'covers' that I like.

Not too many decent Beatle's songs covers on the soul side but I do like E,W&F's attempt + Syretta's effort too. For me, Jose Feliciano was at his best on covers -- his take on "Golden Lady" is just sublime.

One song that never really did it for me was "Pony Time" -- that certainly inspired quite a few cover versions in very quick succession after Don Covay's group's original effort ... 

PonyTimeMont.jpg

Social source share

An obvious cover version that I can't see mentioned is TIMI YURO'S brilliant niter atmospheric version of Baby Washington  ' It'll never be over for me ', I like most of B. Washington's stuff, but this is a fairly rare case of a blue-eyed (brown-eyed ?) singer out-souling and easily out-northering a black singer. (As in the case of Paul Anka v Jimmy Breedlove, perhaps another topic on this subject awaiting comment.)

• Up vote 3
Social source share

I have always enjoyed the Originals version of Just To Keep You Satisfied, a sequel to the Monitors original (?) version and a prequel to the re-written version by Marvin Gaye on his Let's Get It On album. Here's all three.  There's also a version of God Is Love by Marvin that reuses the music from the Monitors' version of JTKYS. I am sure others on here will know even more connections.

• Thanks 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!